Formula 1 2021

wood

3 hours ago, faps said:

And I thought it looked bad...on the outside. -Han Solo maybe

also, sorry for the non F1 content. Back to F1 2021 now.

Heh, I don't think many on this thread are overly worried about going off-topic. Bahrain is still 3 weeks away.

• Like 1

So I'm not even sure where to begin.  

Oh wait, yes I am.  When I think "Ferrari" I definitely think GREEN.  THIS CAR NEEDS MOOOOAAARRRR GREEEEEEN.  Heck,they shoulda made the entire thing green.

Beyond that, I don't love the graduated red-to-burgundy, but it's certainly a lot more palatable after seeing that GREEN!

And I'm also on record as never having liked the matte look over shiny.  Other teams can go matte and that's fine, but Ferraris should be shiny and red.

SHINY AND RED, I tellz ya!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

So I'm not even sure where to begin.  

Oh wait, yes I am.  When I think "Ferrari" I definitely think GREEN.  THIS CAR NEEDS MOOOOAAARRRR GREEEEEEN.  Heck,they shoulda made the entire thing green.

Beyond that, I don't love the graduated red-to-burgundy, but it's certainly a lot more palatable after seeing that GREEN!

And I'm also on record as never having liked the matte look over shiny.  Other teams can go matte and that's fine, but Ferraris should be shiny and red.

SHINY AND RED, I tellz ya!

Not sure that is even a graduated fading of red to burgundy.  Back part of the car looks like they ran out of red paint and grabbed whatever can of paint that was in the garage and close to red to finish the car. I also don't like the black edge on 80% or some of the bottom of the car.  

1 minute ago, PGFrog said:

Not sure that is even a graduated fading of red to burgundy. 

True, it does look fairly immediate.  I'd guess that on close-up there's some graduation.  Either way, I don't love it.  But it's not nearly as bothersome as the GREEN!

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

True, it does look fairly immediate.  I'd guess that on close-up there's some graduation.  Either way, I don't love it.  But it's not nearly as bothersome as the GREEN!

Agree on the green and the car looks like three different designers each were assigned a section of the car, talked about ideas, never worked together, and never saw the others work until the finished product was rolled out for the unveiling. 

6 hours ago, faps said:

Retro look on the current hybrid body. Much better.

iy8u8r7no8m61.thumb.png.fcdbc1325d80a1ca492052867c60960d.png2dgj7r7no8m61.thumb.png.da7e2183a1a9775a872ef4e13cd07a05.png

Gorgeous. That's Ferrari's best livery of all time. I've been calling for a return to something more like this for years, eliminating the use of so much white on the engine cover & wings, and using black wings instead. Every year I hope they'll do it, and every year I'm disappointed. At least they've gone away from using so much white.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

In Ferrari's defense the dark red at the back is an homage to the color of the first Ferrari, like what they ran the one race with last season.

Personally, I like that original color more than the current Ferrari Red. 

I liked the burgundy okay last year, when it was the entire car.  I don't like the two-tone.

And I prefer the more modern red-- but gloss, not matte.

This right here works just fine for me:

image.png.db166c4fbace86c50f5c8a8a309ea2ef.png

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

In Ferrari's defense the dark red at the back is an homage to the color of the first Ferrari, like what they ran the one race with last season.

Personally, I like that original color more than the current Ferrari Red. 

I like it too, but mixing them is a bad idea imho, esp in that amateurish way. Ferrari has been lost for a long time when it comes to liveries, among other things.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I liked the burgundy okay last year, when it was the entire car.  I don't like the two-tone.

And I prefer the more modern red-- but gloss, not matte.

This right here works just fine for me:

image.png.db166c4fbace86c50f5c8a8a309ea2ef.png

I loved the darker red last year, and I love the red in your pic (as in the pics faps posted), but even that's darker & redder than the current red, & looks much better imho.

Matte doesn't bother me. I like both.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

simplicity is beautiful

Agree.

But even so, I appreciate the technology and innovation that goes into the details of every little vane, every winglet, every sawtooth, ever gap, and every ridge.  It's part of what makes these cars more interesting to me personally, than having a generic stock aero package like indy.

I think we could get 70% of the way back to beautiful, just by reducing the size and fixing the proportions.  The current generation just looks too long, too wide, too fat, and too bloated, compared to the cars from decades ago.  Fix the size, fix the proportions, and we're a long way back to the looks I prefer.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

when I see it in several races.

Ain't this the truth. I won't believe it until Hamilton is mathematically eliminated from championship contention pretty much.

Here's hoping it's a much tighter battle.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

We still don’t know where their tokens were spent.

James Allison said it would be clear in due time, and they said this on a comment on their YouTube video today.....

c66fcb3c28eb85589734f6a0c1e8cc64.png

I’m guessing they will have some new stuff for the first race.

someone on reddit was saying they may have adjusted their gearbox mounting a bit and used both tokens doing that. Who knows though. It would make no sense for them to have sandbagged testing with what little time they had. I really think they have a correlation issue between their wind tunnel and the track. Clearly something on the rear of that car isn't behaving like they expected. Because it's Mercedes they will certainly fix it in a few weeks. Maybe for Imola? That team is too stacked to just let this persist. 

Edited by Noozak
  • Hook 'Em 2

I am surprised no one is talking about this story out of Italy: https://www.formu1a.uno/opinione-ferrari-cauta-coraggiosa-ma-la-sf21-e-un-ottimo-passo-avanti/

It seems like Ferrari were the ones sandbagging things. Picking up ~40 horsepower during the offseason is massive. I get that most F1 teams don't really care about pure hp numbers, but to bring back that straight line speed gives them a chance to steal more podiums than they did last year.  I really think they are going to make the battle for third place more interesting than it was last year. 

Thanks, ChickenSammich. Nice.

That pic I saw of her earlier today, apparently from 2019, just breaks my heart. She easily looked like she was in her 70s. She was 49 in the pic.

Edited by wood

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Season 3 of Formula 1: Drive to Survive has dropped on Netflix. I’m sure most who post here have seen this show but, if not, you need to. It is an excellent production that really kick started my interest in F1. 

Good production, just don't put much stock in the bs driver conflict storylines they push.

2 hours ago, faps said:

Damn, that Jedda circuit is awful, like racing through grocery store aisles. Maybe one passing spot? Should be pretty fast though.

I'm gonna reserve judgenment. Looks like 2 or 3 straight-ish areas where they can pass as well. Make the cars able to follow each other, and they'll be able to pass on almost every track.

It'll be fast as hell between those walls. Might be some driver error in there to spice things up. Hopefully its not another Valencia.

Actually seeing it's only for a year before moving to a purpose built circuit.

Edited by faps
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, faps said:

It'll be fast as hell between those walls. Might be some driver error in there to spice things up. Hopefully its not another Valencia.

Actually seeing it's only for a year before moving to a purpose built circuit.

Yep, just a placeholder for the permanent circuit near Qiddyah. I actually broke the news about this Jeddah race way, way back. :patsselfonback:

• Haha 1