Bourbon

Jimbaround

I know I’ve told it before, but I’ll never forget a seminar at Tales of the Cocktail ~5 years I attended ago regarding sourced bourbon. The Smooth Ambler distiller was on the panel, and during the Q&A Dan Garrison got a microphone and went full desperate salesman, and started quizzing him about where he sourced his bourbon (MGP), and if he needed more Garrison would be more than happy to provide him tons of barrels. You could have heard a pin drop during all of this it was so awkward.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ERhine said:

I know I’ve told it before, but I’ll never forget a seminar at Tales of the Cocktail ~5 years I attended ago regarding sourced bourbon. The Smooth Ambler distiller was on the panel, and during the Q&A Dan Garrison got a microphone and went full desperate salesman, and started quizzing him about where he sourced his bourbon (MGP), and if he needed more Garrison would be more than happy to provide him tons of barrels. You could have heard a pin drop during all of this it was so awkward.

Ha, that’s great.  Although smooth ambler’s own wheated distillate is hot garbage so they do have that in common. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, USCATX said:

I love Magnus Cigar and would love to try the Bardstown take on the theme.  I’m sure Weller SB is good and all, but seems like it’s probably not much better than Poor Man’s Pappy which should cost you about $50 to make.  Pretty sure you came out on top there. 

I cracked open the Bardstown this evening and damn, is it complex. It’s sweet, but not like typical bourbon sweet. It’s like a dark fruit kind of sweet, like raisins or plums.  The palate is completely different from the nose (in a good way as both are delicious).  It’s a wild and very enjoyable ride from nose to palate to finish.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, USCATX said:

Ha, that’s great.  Although smooth ambler’s own wheated distillate is hot garbage so they do have that in common. 

Smooth Ambler Big Level remains some of the worst bourbon I’ve ever tasted. Stick to sourcing. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

5 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

I cracked open the Bardstown this evening and damn, is it complex. It’s sweet, but not like typical bourbon sweet. It’s like a dark fruit kind of sweet, like raisins or plums.  The palate is completely different from the nose (in a good way as both are delicious).  It’s a wild and very enjoyable ride from nose to palate to finish.

I can fapp to that.....

Which product ?

Edited by Onboard 2.0

so I am more than half way done with a 750ml ofMaker's Mark Cask strength I bought a few weeks ago.

110.1 proof.  Great flavor, but damn if I feel like a little kid getting into dad's booze for the first time.   So fucking boozy.

My adventures into bourbon are making me laugh at myself... but I still enjoy the libations, themselves.

6 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

Just scored another bottle of GTS today. Paid tater price but I don't care. Add that to 3 bottles of Bookers, and 2 Rebel Yell 10s and I'm up to 50ish bottles of bourbon. My wife said I have a problem.

Haha, no.  You have a long way to go from 50 unless it’s me that has a problem.  

7 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

Just scored another bottle of GTS today. Paid tater price but I don't care. Add that to 3 bottles of Bookers, and 2 Rebel Yell 10s and I'm up to 50ish bottles of bourbon. My wife said I have a problem.

Just show her a pic of @Bert Orange’s stash.  I saved a picture on my phone for this exact reason.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 1:36 PM, RichUT said:

de1507b8787618f300fa6ae8e5d17602.jpg

Super happy to find this old feller on the shelf for $25.99 today.

Now take that bottle and a bottle of Weller Special Reserve,  pour 500ml of Special reserve and 250 ml of OGD114 into an empty bottle.  Let it sit for a couple of weeks.
You've just made a really really good tasting blend of Poor Man's 4 grain.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

EH Taylor Single Barrel was awarded best whiskey in the world. Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradjaphe/2020/08/16/the-worlds-best-bourbonaccording-to-the-international-wine-and-spirits-competition/#224de7c43b1f

11 EH Taylor bottles was news to me. They are: 

E. H. Taylor, Jr. Small Batch

E. H. Taylor, Jr. Single Barrel

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Barrel Proof

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Straight Rye

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Old Fashioned Sour Mash

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Warehouse C Tornado Surviving

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Cured Oak

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Seasoned Wood

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Four Grain

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Amaranth

E. H. Taylor, Jr. 18 Year Marriage

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

EH Taylor Single Barrel was awarded best whiskey in the world. Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradjaphe/2020/08/16/the-worlds-best-bourbonaccording-to-the-international-wine-and-spirits-competition/#224de7c43b1f

Dickhead that started this thread got a bottle this year.  He has yet to share any.

5 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Anyone live in Tennessee?

I want to support a black owned distillery there that just launched

Brough Brothers Bourbon. - I will pay for the bottle and shipping.

Tell us about them and I might be interested, too. 

Just now, Eggo said:

Tell us about them and I might be interested, too. 

They are the first African American owned distillery in Kentucky (I put Tennessee as I know some on Surly live there and I know they are selling there)

Owned by three brothers (hence the name)

They got the idea as the older brother was working in UK as a spirits importer/exporter. They all grew up in Louisville, KY.

Bourbon is described by them as a "party" bourbon. as it is good for mixing.

Reviews seem to be fairly decent. Here is one from "Master of Malt"

Brough Brothers Bourbon Bottling Note

Brough Brothers Bourbon is the brilliant brainchild of Victor, Chris and Bryson Yarbrough in Louisville, Kentucky. A marvellous small batch Bourbon made with a mash bill of 75% corn, 21% rye and 4% malted barley, resulting in a flavour profile boasting cooked fruit, vibrant spice and toasty oak notes. Great for sipping, but it also shines in some classic cocktail recipes, too - it does rather well in a Whiskey Sour, and makes a great Old Fashioned

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Now take that bottle and a bottle of Weller Special Reserve,  pour 500ml of Special reserve and 250 ml of OGD114 into an empty bottle.  Let it sit for a couple of weeks.
You've just made a really really good tasting blend of Poor Man's 4 grain.

Four Grain you say?  Fuck yeah, I'm in!

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Seasoned Wood and Tornado seem to have the best reviews. People seem to be cooling on Four Grain. 

I didn't know they made a Sour Mash. 

I have the Tornado.

If I had known what a ridiculous situation we would be in here today I would have bought a case.  But I guess we can say that about at lot at this point.

• Like 1

EHT Single Barrel was a somewhat easy find in 2017 and 2018. The rug got pulled in 2019. 

I still think the EHT Rye is harder to find. The Barton rye heads gobble it up. I regret not buying it every time I’ve seen it. 

I got one bottle of Rye in May, and passed one up that was bundled with a bottle of champagne two weeks ago. I’ll likely regret passing on that one given this development, but it made sense at the time.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

EHT Single Barrel was a somewhat easy find in 2017 and 2018. The rug got pulled in 2019. 

I still think the EHT Rye is harder to find. The Barton rye heads gobble it up. I regret not buying it every time I’ve seen it. 

EHT SB is delicious. I haven’t seen it on the shelf in over a year maybe? Maybe less. I can’t remember. It’s definitely scarce

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

E. H. Taylor, Jr. Small Batch

E. H. Taylor, Jr. Single Barrel

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Barrel Proof

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Straight Rye

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Old Fashioned Sour Mash

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Warehouse C Tornado Surviving

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Cured Oak

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Seasoned Wood

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Four Grain

E. H. Taylor, Jr. 18 Year Marriage

The grain of the gods (Amaranth) has been my unicorn. The rest I have seen.

4 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Had some saturday night...not that great.  Honestly think BP and a good Sib are better IMO.

Not very good, doesn't quite work, or tastes strange seems to the word cloud on Amaranth. But, congrats to @Jimbaround on snagging a bottle. It's not one you'd just toss out. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Not very good, doesn't quite work, or tastes strange seems to the word cloud on Amaranth. But, congrats to @Jimbaround on snagging a bottle. It's not one you'd just toss out. 

Thanks.  I think it's like a Schrodinger's cat scenario in that it may be more desirable to not know for certain.  I can always imagine it's the greatest thing just waiting for the right time to crack it open.  That being said I would be willing to barter if someone is dying to have it.

1 minute ago, Jimbaround said:

Thanks.  I think it's like a Schrodinger's cat scenario in that it may be more desirable to not know for certain.  I can always imagine it's the greatest thing just waiting for the right time to crack it open.  That being said I would be willing to barter if someone is dying to have it.

If it goes through the roof like EHT Sour Mash, you might be sitting on a small fortune. 

34 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:

What's the flavor profile of EHT? More Rye or wheat? What does it compare to?

It’s Buffalo Trace Mashbill No. 1, so it’s not the BT high rye mashbill nor is it the wheaten mashbill. 

I guess it compares to an Eagle Rare Store Pick, but there’s a lot more going on in an EHT single barrel. 

I got lucky a couple months back and got one off the shelf at Spec’s, but I haven’t seen it anywhere since. 

Felt like an idiot when I saw it on Drizzly on a random afternoon a few months back. Was dubious, so I went to the store instead the next day and it was all gone.

Talked to my guy this week and there’s a chance our Weller drop happens Friday... wish me well!
  • Hook 'Em 1