Daft Punk has called it quits

tokamak

I think the story goes, 30 days after dropping their first demo tape, they were getting calls from all over the world for performance opportunities. 

I’m not much of a student of electronic music, but my understanding is that Homework hit that world like an atomic bomb.

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I’m not much of a student of electronic music, but my understanding is that Homework hit that world like an atomic bomb.

After the release of Homework to rave reviews, Madonna, Janet Jackson and George Michael all wanted to collaborate with the duo but the band politely declined.

People talk about the first pyramid show at Coachella in hushed and reverential tones. I would love to have been there.

The RAM thread on Shaggy was great.

Very sorry for your loss Hobbes, and very sorry that I (like most others) will never get to see them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

This was one of my favorites. Not a lot to it, very subtle. 

Sounds like royalty free youtube music.  I guess that's why they decided to retire.  It's hard to be relevant in electronic music these days when anyone with a computer can make music.      

4 hours ago, tokamak said:

Yeah it was a big deal.  At the time it was really good, original stuff.    

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

Sounds like royalty free youtube music.  I guess that's why they decided to retire.  It's hard to be relevant in electronic music these days when anyone with a computer can make music.      

Yeah it was a big deal.  At the time it was really good, original stuff.    

That's a very atypical Daft Punk song. The one immediately after it is full blown loud ass club music. After Random Access Memories they switched to producing songs and collaborations. 

I appreciate how they went about their business. They didn't want any drama by being in the spotlight. They made music they lived and people loved. It was pure and there aren't many artists making music for the pure art of it that make it to this level. The machine is geared to chew those folks up and spit them out. 

Maybe a lame reference but 'makin music for money' by Jimmy sums this up for me." You make music for you not for money. Money follows if you are legit.

Either way, I love their music, my 6 yr old son loves RAM and it came full circle with that. I love me some Daft Punk AND will always have a place for their art in my wheelhouse. Thanks for all the music robot bros.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:

I was introduced to Daft Punk in the late 90s when my best friend in high school ran away from home and discovered ecstacy. Dude came back listening to Around the World on repeat. I really started liking them when they released Discovery. Sad to see them hanging it up.

First I ever heard of them or heard their music was really late at night one night on MTV2 (remember MTV2??) they showed the Around the World music video. Totally blew my mind.  Still my favorite Daft Punk song to this day, one of my favorite songs period, and also one of the best music videos ever made.

Edited by tokamak

7 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Just a wild statement...we are sure they broke up and one of them didn't die? From what I can see the reporting is speculative and even the publicist isn't conclusive. Just that it is over no further comment. Maybe I have had too many years of q exposure.

Given their desire for privacy and anonymity, doesn't surprise me that the publicist isn't saying much and there's no other info. That said, my mind also pretty much immediately went to wondering if one of them has a health problem or something. Otherwise, seems like they could just keep the group active and occasionally pop up when they feel inspired to do so or need some cash. It's not like they've been extremely active since RAM anyway.

Contradicting that is the kind of tongue-in-cheek tone of the announcement video.

23 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

People talk about the first pyramid show at Coachella in hushed and reverential tones. I would love to have been there.

The RAM thread on Shaggy was great.

Very sorry for your loss Hobbes, and very sorry that I (like most others) will never get to see them.

Yup, an item from my bucket list that will now never get to be crossed off.