SURLY ROAD TRIP 2021: Fayetteville - Texas at Arkansas, Sept. 11

LonghornSean

On 5/20/2021 at 9:36 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

That’s fairly accurate.  Arky is only a little more than half Arkansas kids at this point.  (They’re about 25% Texas kids.).

Honestly thought it was closer to 50% these days. You can tell some are trying to make Fayetteville a mini-Austin type vibe.

Right now on the 3rd party sites you can buy a ticket to the Arkansas-Texas game for around the same price that you can buy an Arkansas season ticket in the shitty seats. This may sound weird but if you don't care where you sit or being surrounded with Hog fans then it might not be a bad idea to buy the whole season and then try to sell the other games and make some money back. Prices may go down closer to the game but I wouldn't guarantee it. This is probably the most anticipated OOC game in Fayetteville since USC in 2006.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Gohogs14 said:

Honestly thought it was closer to 50% these days. You can tell some are trying to make Fayetteville a mini-Austin type vibe.

Right now on the 3rd party sites you can buy a ticket to the Arkansas-Texas game for around the same price that you can buy an Arkansas season ticket in the shitty seats. This may sound weird but if you don't care where you sit or being surrounded with Hog fans then it might not be a bad idea to buy the whole season and then try to sell the other games and make some money back. Prices may go down closer to the game but I wouldn't guarantee it. This is probably the most anticipated OOC game in Fayetteville since USC in 2006.

Just buy a Rice shirt, Georgia Southern shirt, Auburn shirt, Mississippi State shirt, and Missouri shirt and you are set for the season. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

How are ticket searches going?

Anyone have experience with the Buffalo River?

Unless we get a lot more rain between now and game day you're not going to have fun floating the Buffalo. They've got all float trips on hold at the moment with average water level being about a foot and a half. I haven't floated the Buffalo yet but I'm dying to break in this new kayak and that was going to be my next trip. Went out with my buddy and his 11yo son and we went 28 miles down the King's river in two and a half days just a couple weeks back. Caught some good fish through there, too.

ETA: Here's a handy website to keep track of Buffalo water levels. 

https://www.buffaloriver.com/river-levels/

Edited by ElChupacabra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ElChupacabra said:

Unless we get a lot more rain between now and game day you're not going to have fun floating the Buffalo. They've got all float trips on hold at the moment with average water level being about a foot and a half. I haven't floated the Buffalo yet but I'm dying to break in this new kayak and that was going to be my next trip. Went out with my buddy and his 11yo son and we went 28 miles down the King's river in two and a half days just a couple weeks back. Caught some good fish through there, too.

ETA: Here's a handy website to keep track of Buffalo water levels. 

https://www.buffaloriver.com/river-levels/

King and Buffalo sounded busy as fuck today over the phone. Buffalo guy said they are open through October. They are ‘Middle’ and only recommended middle towards lower, avoid ‘Upper’ due to possibility of low water.

Thanks for the heads up! Go ahead and do the Buffalo and report back.

Edited by JohnnyRage
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

King and Buffalo sounded busy as fuck today over the phone. Buffalo guy said they are open through October. They are ‘Middle’ and only recommended middle towards lower, avoid ‘Upper’ due to possibility of low water.

Thanks for the heads up! Go ahead and do the Buffalo and report back.

I bet they are. It's the freakin' weekend baybay. I work for myself so I usually do my trips mid-week to avoid the masses. Yeah after I posted that I called my buddy that's from around here and he said lower should be good to go. I'm going to float it with my buddy so when he can get a few days off in the week we'll get on it 👍 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

So I guess that means they only offered people in the top 3-4K in terms of Lifetime points the opportunity to buy the allocated ones? I know I did not have the option.

15 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It must be a lot tighter than that. We are in the number 1,200 range in loyalty points and didn't have the option

You mean y'all never even got the email for away game ticket requests? Or when you went to the application it didn't have Arkansas listed? I would be surprised if someone ranked 1200 wouldn't even have a chance to apply.

I got the email initially on June 8, the deadline for away ticket applications applications was July 1. It even says in the email, they are offered to all season ticket holders:

"Tickets for Texas Football away games are offered to all football season ticket holders. Requesting away game tickets does not guarantee fulfillment. Due to the limited number of tickets allocated to The University of Texas, we anticipate demand for the September 11 game at Arkansas to be high.

Priority ticket limits are based on total Annual Fund gift; seat locations are determined by Loyalty Points rank. Your credit card will only be charged if your order is fulfilled; orders will be fulfilled at a later date."

Edited by LonghornSean

22 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It must be a lot tighter than that. We are in the number 1,200 range in loyalty points and didn't have the option

That doesn't even make sense. Even if they only got 4000 tickets the max number of tickets you can request is 2 unless you are fairly high in terms of annual donation in which case it's 4. I would have expected that at least 1500 if not 2000 or more to at least have had the option to select them.

7 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

You mean y'all never even got the email for away game ticket requests? Or when you went to the application it didn't have Arkansas listed? I would be surprised if someone ranked 1200 wouldn't even have a chance to apply.

I got the email initially on June 8, the deadline for away ticket applications applications was July 1. It even says in the email, they are offered to all season ticket holders:

I got the option to go into my account and select away game tix however Arkansas was not an option for me.

You guys are going to have a blast.

I went in 04 and got hammered drunk on Dickson St Friday night, drank all day Sat, then right back at it post game after Dibbles had the strip sack on Matt Jones. 

Yes some of their fans around the edges like the tailgate lots were idiot yokels, but the folks in town were fine aside from the usual Horns down. Which is no different from walking the fairgrounds.

Arky is like a lot of other big state schools in that they have a large and rather deranged fanbase that has no ties to the school at all.  The ones who have an actual tie to the schools are fine.  Bama is the worst about this.  In my experience, every Bama fan I've met who went there is fairly normal.  The ones with 15 stickers on their truck while naming their kids and pets Bear went to some directional Alabama school if at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Arky is like a lot of other big state schools in that they have a large and rather deranged fanbase that has no ties to the school at all.  The ones who have an actual tie to the schools are fine.  Bama is the worst about this.  In my experience, every Bama fan I've met who went there is fairly normal.  The ones with 15 stickers on their truck while naming their kids and pets Bear went to some directional Alabama school if at all.

This is 100% true. The degenerate hicks who have nothing else in life but to live vicariously thru the local college football team the worst. Actual alumni who can read and write are fairly normal 

21 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

In Arkansas in particular it is a bit different too since there are no other P5 teams or pro teams in the state. 99% of the time if you grow up in Arkansas you're raised a Razorback fan over anything else.

There is a noticeable difference in most of the fans at our Little Rock games compared to the ones in Fayetteville. NWA fans are typically older, mostly alumni and there are more transplants and Walmart vendors in the suites just there to have a good time. Whereas there are a lot of south Arkansas and central Arkansas fans that are loud and drunk rednecks who will get in fights on a golf course in their camo, but they do make for a fun atmosphere I guess since they have more of a rooting interest haha. Sometimes you need those kind of fans to get into the game and counteract the blue-haired rich types that sit on their hands most of the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/19/2021 at 9:44 PM, TwiceHorn said:

The rubes in Arkansas don't go to UA, they go to the more local state schools if they go at all.  The elite types don't necessarily go to UA.

Leaves a lot of room for kids from out of state.  I have friends, both Horns, that had one kid get into UT and one went to UA and considered walking on to the football team.  He loves it there and they're very happy with the experience.  Moreso, really, than their daughter's experience at UT.

I had two buddies who went Pig because they were too dumb to even make it into UT under the old school ScoPro program. They loved it there and I did too the 4-5 times I went out there. I mean, fuck them in football and all but it’s beautiful scenery and a ton of hot ass…

On 7/15/2021 at 5:39 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Ditto for me.  I was surprised.  I figured they would at least let me ask for them.

Same

On 7/16/2021 at 2:01 PM, Gohogs14 said:

In Arkansas in particular it is a bit different too since there are no other P5 teams or pro teams in the state. 99% of the time if you grow up in Arkansas you're raised a Razorback fan over anything else.

There is a noticeable difference in most of the fans at our Little Rock games compared to the ones in Fayetteville. NWA fans are typically older, mostly alumni and there are more transplants and Walmart vendors in the suites just there to have a good time. Whereas there are a lot of south Arkansas and central Arkansas fans that are loud and drunk rednecks who will get in fights on a golf course in their camo, but they do make for a fun atmosphere I guess since they have more of a rooting interest haha. Sometimes you need those kind of fans to get into the game and counteract the blue-haired rich types that sit on their hands most of the game.

It never made sense to me why y’all play games in LR; it’s what, like 160 miles?

16 hours ago, Ignatius said:

It never made sense to me why y’all play games in LR; it’s what, like 160 miles?

Yeah it's about 3 hours. We're slowly getting away from playing games there but for a long time it was the political and economic center of the state back before northwest Arkansas grew into what it is now. It allowed our southern and eastern Arkansas fans to get to games a lot easier and became a tradition of sort of unifying the state by giving everyone a chance to see a game. Also there was a period where Razorback Stadium didn't have lights so we were forced to play night games in Little Rock. 

The LR stadium is a shithole in comparison and we lose an on-campus recruiting weekend when we play there, on top of already losing one every other year by playing A&M in Arlington which leaves some years where we only get like 2 SEC games in Fayetteville. We'll probably continue to play an FCS game there every year just for Little Rock recruiting purposes and to appease some of the big money boosters who are still based out of central Arkansas. But it doesn't make sense anymore to play SEC games there instead of Fayetteville.

2 hours ago, Gohogs14 said:

Yeah it's about 3 hours. [b]We're slowly getting away from playing games there[/b] but for a long time it was the political and economic center of the state back before northwest Arkansas grew into what it is now. It allowed our southern and eastern Arkansas fans to get to games a lot easier and became a tradition of sort of unifying the state by giving everyone a chance to see a game. Also there was a period where Razorback Stadium didn't have lights so we were forced to play night games in Little Rock. 

The LR stadium is a shithole in comparison and we lose an on-campus recruiting weekend when we play there, on top of already losing one every other year by playing A&M in Arlington which leaves some years where we only get like 2 SEC games in Fayetteville. We'll probably continue to play an FCS game there every year just for Little Rock recruiting purposes and to appease some of the big money boosters who are still based out of central Arkansas. But it doesn't make sense anymore to play SEC games there instead of Fayetteville.

Uh, not really.  While you're right about the reasons, there are games scheduled there for the indefinite future.  It's like the dumbest thing ever but at one point, the population bases was all central and south Arkansas and Fayetteville was a rural outpost so that sort of made sense.  Now, there are 1 or 2 games in LR and they never sell out and the stadium isn't that big.

I think Arkansas only has two SEC games this year in Fayetteville.  The various coaches over the years have hated it, too.

Also, the differences of the fans is striking.  Fayetteville will have the corporate tailgate tent with a mid morning mimosa.  LR crowd is drunken rednecks who will leave a couch on the golf course.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Uh, not really.  While you're right about the reasons, there are games scheduled there for the indefinite future.  It's like the dumbest thing ever but at one point, the population bases was all central and south Arkansas and Fayetteville was a rural outpost so that sort of made sense.  Now, there are 1 or 2 games in LR and they never sell out and the stadium isn't that big.

I think Arkansas only has two SEC games this year in Fayetteville.  The various coaches over the years have hated it, too.

Also, the differences of the fans is striking.  Fayetteville will have the corporate tailgate tent with a mid morning mimosa.  LR crowd is drunken rednecks who will leave a couch on the golf course.

It's gone from having multiple games per year there, to one SEC game, to now UAPB. In the latest contract they put in language to where the stadium has to upgrade the facility to a certain point by a set date or the UA could void it. It may not be any time soon but there is definitely movement toward more of a focus on games in Fayetteville now that Frank Broyles has passed. A few years ago there was talk of only having a game there every other year and letting them host the Spring Game on the off years instead. 

It's fine for basketball and baseball but football there are just too few games for it to make sense IMO. Between that and finally deciding to play other in-state teams the athletic department now is getting rid of a lot of old, out-of-date policies piece by piece which is probably needed.

6 hours ago, Gohogs14 said:

It's gone from having multiple games per year there, to one SEC game, to now UAPB. In the latest contract they put in language to where the stadium has to upgrade the facility to a certain point by a set date or the UA could void it. It may not be any time soon but there is definitely movement toward more of a focus on games in Fayetteville now that Frank Broyles has passed. A few years ago there was talk of only having a game there every other year and letting them host the Spring Game on the off years instead. 

It's fine for basketball and baseball but football there are just too few games for it to make sense IMO. Between that and finally deciding to play other in-state teams the athletic department now is getting rid of a lot of old, out-of-date policies piece by piece which is probably needed.

Hey, so I live in NWA and was wondering where the good tailgate spots are or even a good bar that will be showing the game. I'm not going to go to the game but I'd like to be down in that area on game day. Just recently spent a day out on Dickson before a concert I was going to and was trying to scout some good bars but honestly I didn't really find one that seemed like it would be a good time on game day. Any recommendations?

You are correct.  They had the Missouri games down there but moved them.  Must have missed that.

The powers that be would kill that game if they could.  No one likes it, there is no upside, and the fans there don't even buy tickets to the game.  If it was such a great idea, more teams would do it.

14 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If it was such a great idea, more teams would do it.

Yeah Arkansas is different than most states since basically the whole state only follows one team but it seems like fans are getting tired of "neutral" site games in college football as a whole.

15 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

Hey, so I live in NWA and was wondering where the good tailgate spots are or even a good bar that will be showing the game. I'm not going to go to the game but I'd like to be down in that area on game day. Just recently spent a day out on Dickson before a concert I was going to and was trying to scout some good bars but honestly I didn't really find one that seemed like it would be a good time on game day. Any recommendations?

I would probably go with either Farrell's, Foghorns, or JJ's Grill for places to watch a game. A lot of the bars on Dickson don't really get hopping until after 9 when the college students really get out. Yeehawg is one I used to frequent since there are several food trucks nearby but they don't have many TVs and it's a bit cramped for game watching.

For spots near the football stadium, Razorback Gardens is usually pretty popular for tailgating - it's a little further south across from Bud Walton Arena. There are some spots in Victory Village by the Greek houses directly across the road from the stadium but I believe those you have to pay for. Honestly it's been a while since I've actually tailgated though!

razorback gardens.JPG

• Like 1

Yeah Arkansas is different than most states since basically the whole state only follows one team but it seems like fans are getting tired of "neutral" site games in college football as a whole.

I would probably go with either Farrell's, Foghorns, or JJ's Grill for places to watch a game. A lot of the bars on Dickson don't really get hopping until after 9 when the college students really get out. Yeehawg is one I used to frequent since there are several food trucks nearby but they don't have many TVs and it's a bit cramped for game watching.

For spots near the football stadium, Razorback Gardens is usually pretty popular for tailgating - it's a little further south across from Bud Walton Arena. There are some spots in Victory Village by the Greek houses directly across the road from the stadium but I believe those you have to pay for. Honestly it's been a while since I've actually tailgated though!

razorback gardens.JPG

I'll have to check out Farrell's. I like that JJ's down there. We had lunch and drinks there before hopping around. I live up in BV so JJ's is one of like 4 restaurants up here so I eat there pretty often. Thanks for the tips man 👍

Random memory from 2004 Arkie roadie: Got to my seat with 20:00 showing on the countdown clock to an 8 PM kickoff. Could not see a single empty seat in the stadium. Place was jacked 20 minutes before kickoff. Impressive.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard

Man it’s just like any other place; don’t be a dick and don’t have rabbit ears and there’s an 85%+ chance nothing worse than “Texas SUUUCCCKKKS” is going to be yelled at you a few times. I’ve been to every P5 stadium UT has played in since 1985 and some fans are more amped than others, but don’t be too thin-skinned and you’ll be fine. The only time in my life I’ve ever been mildly concerned (outside of NFL games) that “dude, these fuckers might jump us” was walking back up to the HornFans tailgate in C-Bus in 2005 and in Happy Valley in 1990, although for the latter my extreme intoxication level probably played a significant role…