BigDHornfan

The Gun Owner’s thread

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Pretty sure that’s technically illegal. I knew a guy that used to do that and stuff plastic bags in the two liter bottle. If you are gonna do that, might as well use an oil filter.

tenor-3.gif.d0e63f2c5cb6952855facee9df7efb37.gif

8 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Just shoot into a fucking pillow if you gotta kill someone that bad. That's probably illegal too.

I'm pretty sure it is now illegal for you to own both a pillow and a gun.

Well... got a new toy today... need to add some things to make it “functional” but “panic” buying a gun while you have money to burn and are stocked in other firearms means you buy something that will sink faster during the boating accident.

63557bf4d209c951366fd649993ecea9.jpg

The magazine side loads. Is about the size of a small pizza box it seems like.

b021d86bd6e549776c5c1e875fe5a789.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

I wonder if 9mm will hit 70 cents a round before settling back down.

That is exactly what I paid today for a 50 round box of hollow points.  Went to a small gun place near where I live that usually pretty well-stocked.  He was pretty wiped out.  Apologized profusely, and he’d had to buy what he could find and they were overcharging him.  Had a few boxes of hollow points and a few boxes of FMJ (which were cheaper).

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Well... got a new toy today... need to add some things to make it “functional” but “panic” buying a gun while you have money to burn and are stocked in other firearms means you buy something that will sink faster during the boating accident.

63557bf4d209c951366fd649993ecea9.jpg

The magazine side loads. Is about the size of a small pizza box it seems like.

b021d86bd6e549776c5c1e875fe5a789.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are fun.

spacer.png

If you figure that you likely unload a whole magazine pretty quickly shooting a 9mm or .45, you actually spend less money per unit time shooting the big boom boom. Don't try shooting it prone. Trust me.

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Those are fun.

spacer.png

If you figure that you likely unload a whole magazine pretty quickly shooting a 9mm or .45, you actually spend less money per unit time shooting the big boom boom. Don't try shooting it prone. Trust me.

I couldn’t decide if having your body aligned behind the force would be better or worse. 

suggestions on glass? Was thinking about getting IR for it because it’s already the most expensive item I own, might as well be more expensive. I’ve heard IR isn’t really all that great though. Thoughts?

I had a Vortex on mine, but just iron sights now after a cousin's fiancee scoped himself pretty bad. It's just a fun gun for blasting stuff, so no need for fancy glass. If you want to get into super long range stuff then I would get some quality glass. As far as best position to shoot, shoot it off a bench, off hand, or with a tall enough bipod to sit on the ground. The muzzle break will slow the recoil down, but it still pushes you back enough that your body needs to be able to move to absorb it.

On 3/23/2020 at 9:53 AM, Lat22 said:

A boring friend of mine talked me into getting a motion activated sprinkler. I probably should not be discharging a firearm in the city limits, no matter how quiet it is.

Have a Heart trap, can of cat food,, Gamo pellet to the melon, SSS, it’s a simple solution

On 3/23/2020 at 10:56 AM, Armybrat said:

Poor Man Can:

Tape an empty plastic soda bottle to the muzzle of a .22, and be sure to punch a bunch of holes around the circumference, plus the center of the bottom. If properly done it should work to help contain the Report.

19 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Pretty sure that’s technically illegal. I knew a guy that used to do that and stuff plastic bags in the two liter bottle. If you are gonna do that, might as well use an oil filter.

Technically a federal felony, 10 years/$250k. But hey, who’s going to know, it’s not like you are posting it on the internet.

Technically a federal felony, 10 years/$250k. But hey, who’s going to know, it’s not like you are posting it on the internet.

Yeah, I’m aware of the penalty. Let’s not act like it is some big secret that you could do that thought. I’ve never done it and don’t see the sense in it and to be honest, I don’t see how it would work on anything.

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I had a Vortex on mine, but just iron sights now after a cousin's fiancee scoped himself pretty bad. It's just a fun gun for blasting stuff, so no need for fancy glass. If you want to get into super long range stuff then I would get some quality glass. As far as best position to shoot, shoot it off a bench, off hand, or with a tall enough bipod to sit on the ground. The muzzle break will slow the recoil down, but it still pushes you back enough that your body needs to be able to move to absorb it.

Yeah, had a friend that flipped one years back.  Bought the rifle, scope and a few hundred rounds for less than $1,200.  We played around with it.  Thing is, it's so heavy, it just pushes you back.  Not snappy at all.  The muzzle blast is nasty.  Stay behind that thing when it fires (spectators).  

28 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yeah, had a friend that flipped one years back.  Bought the rifle, scope and a few hundred rounds for less than $1,200.  We played around with it.  Thing is, it's so heavy, it just pushes you back.  Not snappy at all.  The muzzle blast is nasty.  Stay behind that thing when it fires (spectators).  

I have a guy who make MASSIVE muzzle brakes..  I'm going to get him to make me one.  His BMG "barely kicks" according to him.  I don't have a picture of his brake but it is large and long.

Just now, Jhawk said:

I have a guy who make MASSIVE muzzle brakes..  I'm going to get him to make me one.  His BMG "barely kicks" according to him.  I don't have a picture of his brake but it is large and long.

Good plan.  We even popped a doe with this one.  Anti-climactic.  She just kind of fell over.  Meh.  We did have some glorious bowling ball explosions.  

Posted (edited)

The muzzle break on yours looks about like mine, which is perfectly adequate. I doubt you'll need a new one.

Edit: but go ahead and double up on ear pro and make sure you have eye pro.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah, I’m aware of the penalty. Let’s not act like it is some big secret that you could do that thought. I’ve never done it and don’t see the sense in it and to be honest, I don’t see how it would work on anything.

It's certainly not a secret, I've seen it done and it works. I've seen it done a lot better (not by me) via other readily available means  and it works damn good.

10 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

It's certainly not a secret, I've seen it done and it works. I've seen it done a lot better (not by me) via other readily available means  and it works damn good.

Potato?

a series of metal cylinders that screw together with flat circular pieces of aluminum within them, something like this, but even simpler

solvent-trap.png?w=584

As if my aging soft ass could put a burning slug into a cute little raccoon.  FML.

38 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

As if my aging soft ass could put a burning slug into a cute little raccoon.  FML.

I'll do it for you. Fuck those vicious little bastards. 

23 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I'll do it for you. Fuck those vicious little bastards. 

Walk through a corn field at night and listen to two "bull' male raccoons fighting.  Jesus....it's terrifying.  I could have metaled at the Olympics running back to the truck (fishing, cut through field as it was faster). 

Then you sit in a blind and see those fat little turds eating corn and waddling around.    Maddening.

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

Form 1s are coming back in 30 days, simple

Mine came back in 34 days.  Couldn't believe it. 

Building on this: it may be a good time to unload stuff in your collection you aren't crazy about at ridiculous prices and then stock-up on what you want when shit gets back to normal.

a series of metal cylinders that screw together with flat circular pieces of aluminum within them, something like this, but even simpler
solvent-trap.png?w=584

I see this and form 1 talk. Any of y’all done this for real? I live my sdn6 and would love some extra weight in the front of my .22s that sank to the bottom of the lake.

Aren’t they called solvent traps?

The atf raided some place in CA at the end of 2018 I think and popped them for that. Wasn’t getting their cut.

So my gun belt and holster are supposed to arrive Monday and I’m already fighting the urge to spray them down with Lysol and walk around the house like I’m sheriff of deadwood.  Probably not the best message to teach my kids about gun safety. 

On 3/6/2020 at 8:08 AM, BabaYaga said:

I tried that once with a replica Colt 1851 Navy.  Because I'm borderline regarded, I didn't pack the cylinders properly and while it did fire out the barrel, it also cooked off the adjacent cylinder.  Thankfully it didn't explode or come apart,.  We (buddy and I) cast the balls and packed them down (like in the pic below), we did something wrong.  See how the cylinder sits off to the side, but is exposed and can clear next to the barrel.  That's what happened.  Loud noise.  Lots of smoke.  Nice little shot of adrenaline...and probably something else from the liquor cabinet.  That was the end of that....

Cap-and-ball-4.jpg

AB is right, that's not a Navy replica. My Dad had one and I'm damned luck it didn't blow my face off. Didn't seal off the shots well enough with bacon grease and it fired one down the barrel and the rounds on either side. HELLO!

Just unloaded a pump tactical shotgun for about 25% more than I paid for it 18 years ago. When shit gets back to normal I'll buy a semi for about the same $$$.

Got a XDm without a system it fits these days I will also sell at a premium.

North Dakota has a local "Craiglist" called Bisman Online.  It's very active and holy cow do they have guns and ammo.  I had no idea.  No ammo bargains right now, but you can buy 223 for <$0.50.

Buying shopping carts full of of 9 40 45 and 556 at half or more off the already low price during the Walmart ammo clearance in December looks like it paid off

11 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Buying shopping carts full of of 9 40 45 and 556 at half or more off the already low price during the Walmart ammo clearance in December looks like it paid off

And those of us that didn't right now....

200.gif

I counted the other day and between 5.56, .308, 9mm, and .40 and 22lr I've got over 4200 rounds.  Mostly .40 and 5.56.  I have another 150 rounds of BMG coming in tomorrow.  I figure if I need it and I get through 4350 rounds of ammo and I'm not dead yet then that means I'm a god.

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I have another 150 rounds of BMG coming in tomorrow

Dammit YouTube.  Started with a video about Bifen-XT for bugs are critters at the hunting cabin...

Which took me back to rat traps

Which took me to hunting rats

Which took me to guys using thermal night sights and air rifles hunting rats

Which took me to guys in S. Africa hunting monkeys with air rifles

Which took me to guys hunting baboons in Africa

Which took me to a guy in Africa shooting a baboon with a .50BMG......

God damn this quarantine nonsense and god damn your YouTube for taking me down a rabbit hole of shooting money with .50 cals.......(which I re watched three times)

Received my latest hoarding purchase today, made just under a month ago right before all of this panic buying started up.

1000 x 9mm 115gr, 1000 x 45 ACP 230gr, 1500 x .223 V-Max 55gr

Strangely enough, they called and said the .308 A-Max 168gr was on backorder but should be shipped this week. There really is a run on ammo. 

Mrs CL was joking over the weekend that she used to think my ammo habit was "kooky" but now she "understands it better". I'll take that. 

Also, Academy is still limiting online purchases to 3 boxes, so my 20 ga #9 AA skeet ammo source is still out of commission, but the slightly more expensive 4 cases I ordered from Grabagun showed up in just 2 days last week (sales tax + $12.99 flat shipping) and I learned today that Cabelas has a similar free shipping offer to Academy so I ordered 4 more cases. Still ~50 cents more per box, but even with sales tax the free shipping makes a huge difference compared to other places where the shipping adds another 40-80% to the cost of the ammo itself. 

(I have not tried just making multiple orders individual boxes from Academy. Probably should.)

IMG_3957.jpg.3f670a597e37d287c6680d43313dc7cb.jpg

Was surfing GrabaGun yesterday and noticed they had some 85 grain AE .327 Federal Magnum in stock at $23.39/box of 50, so I ordered 3 boxes. It has been impossible to find that caliber at any of the local stores. It’ll pad my .327 stash of mixed 85 & 100 grain to 650 rounds, plus 200 of S&W .32 Long for plinking.

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

One of y’all needs to find me an H&K Mark 23 in good shape. I need an offensive handgun.

I still have many friends in Austin who drink only craft beer and IPAs and wear far too much flannel that find every gun offensive.......

I'll see myself out.....