RPM

TCM's 31 Days of Oscar

On 3/10/2020 at 6:17 AM, RPM said:

Star of the Month is Joe E. Brown.

dbb63mr-ec655a3f-8db5-4016-bf7e-f8bf4300

His most famous role is the lecherous millionaire playboy Osgood Fielding III who is smitten with Jack Lemmon in Some Like it Hot.

I never really knew of or paid attention to him until my Dad,who was an Iwo Jima vet told me a story about Joe E. Brown. In WWII when big USO shows like Bob Hope were getting all the press, there were smaller shows being done much closer to the front lines. Joe E. Brown was one of those performers. Even before the USO was formed Brown island hopped across the South Pacific at his own expense to entertain the troops crammed into the space behind the pilot in a P-38.  (Most likely it was a P-38M similar to the one below)

3968591535_d17618cdbe_b.jpg

After the war Brown's house in Hollywood burned. In a TV interview Brown said the only thing that hurt was losing all the little momentos given to him by the troops. One of the few times I saw things get dusty for Dad.

Very cool to hear about him. A little  Joe goes a long way for me though.

Submarine movie day! Just watched Up Periscope. Destination Tokyo, Torpedo Run, Ice Station Zebra and Operation Pacific round out the schedule.

Dive! Dive!