RIP Ken Burrough

83Horn

I'd just like to say "fuck the writer of this article".  Just couldn't help himself/herself.

As if the people that are interested in reading the article didn't know this tidbit.

Burrough led the NFL in receiving yards in 1975 with a career-high 1,063. He piled up 6,906 yards receiving and 47 touchdowns with the Oilers, helping lead them during their Luv Ya Blue period where they twice reached the AFC Championship Game. The Oilers are now the Tennessee Titans.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

My dad was friendly with him and he came to a doctor's meeting that he was holding in the Doctor's Center which overlooked the old Oiler practice field. I got a signature on his rookie card. Unfortunately, my mom gave all my stuff to goodwill when they moved.

I’ve posted this on a few different threads but it has to go here.

One of the old Post/Chronicle writers (definitely wasn’t Pancakes, think it was Blinebury or Robertson?) told a 00 story on a podcast I heard a few years ago.

back in the day, at the end of training camp the players and beat writers would all head to a bar to get hammered together (this was the 70s). At one of these sessions, Dan Pastrorini was bragging to a pack of writers that he could stand on street level and throw a football up to the 7th story of a parking garage.

The writer hears this and walks to a different part of the bar where 00 is chilling. He relays the story to 00 who responds:

“Yeah, and his receiver was on the 4th floor of that motherfuckin’ garage”

RIP, 00. Luv Ya Blue!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

As misplaced as my anger probably seems, I can’t bring myself to root for the Titans or Texans. Fuck Bud Adams. I think bringing the Oilers name back would go a long way to healing old wounds but I doubt the Adams family would ever allow it. I loved double zero and Billy White Shoes. It’s so sad that Luv Ya Blue is gone because of that passive aggressive old fuck.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

As misplaced as my anger probably seems, I can’t bring myself to root for the Titans or Texans. Fuck Bud Adams. I think bringing the Oilers name back would go a long way to healing old wounds but I doubt the Adams family would ever allow it. I loved double zero and Billy White Shoes. It’s so sad that Luv Ya Blue is gone because of that passive aggressive old fuck.

Houston 1978-1996 is long gone in terms of demographics with affection for Luv Ya Blue (a 3 or 4 year period) a distant memory for the bulk of today's Houston population.  Aside from 45-70 year olds today who lived in Houston at that time, how much real demand exists to return the Oilers brand?  My guess is fans are more Texans than Oilers now by a healthy margin.  Or even more Cowboys than Texans. 

7 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Houston 1978-1996 is long gone in terms of demographics with affection for Luv Ya Blue (a 3 or 4 year period) a distant memory for the bulk of today's Houston population.  Aside from 45-70 year olds today who lived in Houston at that time, how much real demand exists to return the Oilers brand?  My guess is fans are more Texans than Oilers now by a healthy margin.  Or even more Cowboys than Texans. 

Ahem. Not all of us Oiler fans fall in the "olds" age demographic. For some of us, our childhoods were permanently scarred by Frank Reich.

• Hook 'Em 1