Downtown Projects

Longhorn Al

37 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Which project are you talking about? The Hooters triangle is all surface parking except for the actual restaurant.

South from Hooters across... Riverside.  Easy of 1st from Whataburger, ugly tall brown office building that I think is city of Austin or something.

25 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

South from Hooters across... Riverside.  Easy of 1st from Whataburger, ugly tall brown office building that I think is city of Austin or something.

I really doubt that. That building is all City of Austin, I think. The Threadgills site is another story, I'm sure.

block_185_brochure_feature-780x591.jpg

It appears the rumors that Google is taking over the entire Block 185 tower under construction at West Cesar Chavez and Nueces street are true. The speculation about the internet giant’s involvement was first broached by the Austin Business Journal.

An independent third party with a big stake in the viability of downtown Austin confirms the news.

Brandywine Realty Trust, in its 4Q 2018 earnings report/conference call slideshow, states “Google has signed a new lease for over 750K SF in Austin CBD.”

That could only be the new 35-story tower being developed by Trammell Crow as the last component of the redeveloped Green Water Treatment Plant.

https://atxrealestatenews.com/2019/01/31/google-it-is-for-block-185-now-what-about-samsung/

Other renderings stolen from SSP:

imgur>

imgur>
Edited by bolverk
because more
  • Like 2

So one of the leaders in autonomous cars, smart vehicles, ridesharing technology, one of the most dynamic and trend-setting workforces on the planet, etc, etc, etc---demanded a building with 1,300 parking spaces that won't be delivered for another 3 years when who knows what the fuck we'll be driving?  

Yeah, that checks out.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

So one of the leaders in autonomous cars, smart vehicles, ridesharing technology, one of the most dynamic and trend-setting workforces on the planet, etc, etc, etc---demanded a building with 1,300 parking spaces that won't be delivered for another 3 years when who knows what the fuck we'll be driving?  

Yeah, that checks out.  

1,300 parking spaces for an estimated 5,000 workers.  Sounds like most of the employees would not be provided parking.  I would also guess some of the 1,300 spaces will be reserved for visitors.  A suburban office building would typically require 2,000-3,500 parking spaces for that many square feet.

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

The west view from my office looks directly toward that lot. They started digging recently.

Day 1- a few weeks ago...

60edc04a1b1028cd4ed3fd9bc378a93c.jpg

2dad767b87ac4eb3d5327a849581de18.jpg

Doesn't the top picture, showing the Google building site, have a sign advertising the building on the site to the east, as seen in the second picture?

I generally like the projects along Cesar Chavez and Second Street, but it's only going to make the drive out of downtown to Mopac a bigger shitshow than it's already become.  I'm at 1st and Congress, and up until a few years ago it would take me 3-5 minutes to get from my building to MoPac.  Now it's more like 15 minutes, and that's leaving between 4 or 430.  If I leave after 5, I better make sure I piss before I leave the office.  #shakesfistatcloud

I generally like the projects along Cesar Chavez and Second Street, but it's only going to make the drive out of downtown to Mopac a bigger shitshow than it's already become.  I'm at 1st and Congress, and up until a few years ago it would take me 3-5 minutes to get from my building to MoPac.  Now it's more like 15 minutes, and that's leaving between 4 or 430.  If I leave after 5, I better make sure I piss before I leave the office.  #shakesfistatcloud

I'm in the Northshore building. I walk to work unless the weather is terrible (I live behind Barton Springs Pool so it's Town Lake trail pretty much the entire walk)... but the days I drive, jesus fuck, it's bad getting out of that part of town.

On 2/5/2019 at 8:54 AM, South Austin said:

111 Congress?  That was my old building until we moved to 300 West 6th.  I pretty much angle northwest (Rio Grande, Lamar, Windsor, etc.) now and don't even use Cesar Chavez.

Edited by chitwood

1 hour ago, Rollo Tomassi said:

Kaizer (or anyone else) - do you know what that piece of equipment on the bottom left of your last image is?  I'm watching them working on the building at 5th and Brazos and they have something very similar, but it never seems to get used.  Just curious.

Looks like a machine for doing soil nail retaining walls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcbrisket said:

Looks like a machine for doing soil nail retaining walls.

This is the correct answer.  I believe that's an Oscar Renda Contracting (now Southland Holdings) logo on the bore hole drilling machine.  I'll be curious to see how deep they are going.

I saw Howell Crane starting assembly today on a big lattice crawler crane as well.  That may be used for piles given the proximity to the river.  

On 1/31/2019 at 5:32 PM, Lobo said:

Yeah, that checks out.  

A company so cutting edge can probably read the writing on the wall Austin isn't going to have a useful public transit system any time soon and will continue to favor car-based sprawl as a method of development. It also might tell you that those things you mention probably aren't taking over in the short term future.

That building looks really cool. One of the first of these projects I'm legit excited to see go up.

On 2/6/2019 at 1:49 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

This is the correct answer.  I believe that's an Oscar Renda Contracting (now Southland Holdings) logo on the bore hole drilling machine.  I'll be curious to see how deep they are going.

I saw Howell Crane starting assembly today on a big lattice crawler crane as well.  That may be used for piles given the proximity to the river.  

Its Oscar Orduno installing the temporary soil nail walls. Malcolm Drilling is performing the slurry wall construction and I heard they should start by the end of the month.

4 hours ago, conmgt21 said:

Based on having 6 levels of garage below ground, I would assume somewhere between 65' and 75' deep.

Thanks.  That's going to be a big hole.  Although I'm still in construction, I haven't been around those big projects in 5+ years.  Still fascinated by them, though.

And, after spending over a decade in the heavy equipment industry, I'm pretty well-versed with the majority of equipment out there, but I drove by the site today and I have no idea what the big crawler with the Princess Leia coils above the cab is.  Any ideas?

48 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Thanks.  That's going to be a big hole.  Although I'm still in construction, I haven't been around those big projects in 5+ years.  Still fascinated by them, though.

And, after spending over a decade in the heavy equipment industry, I'm pretty well-versed with the majority of equipment out there, but I drove by the site today and I have no idea what the big crawler with the Princess Leia coils above the cab is.  Any ideas?

That is a hydromill that will excavate the slurry walls. This video explains the process the best:

• Like 2

^

that's what your mother said, Trebek.  

Jokes aside, that really is a great angle that is not paid any attention to usually.  Would like to see what the proposed convention center expansion would mean to all that SE business there...

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

^

that's what your mother said, Trebek.  

Jokes aside, that really is a great angle that is not paid any attention to usually.  Would like to see what the proposed convention center expansion would mean to all that SE business there...

There's so much that can't be seen from this angle since it's from Rainey.  That ACC expansion will look somewhat similar to the podium of the Marriott extending north.  Then on the end where those Railyard condos are will be another hotel tower.  The Parsley Energy tower is also not in the picture yet.

5 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

The Parsley Energy tower is also not in the picture yet.

Not sure it would add that much anyway since it'd be hidden behind the Austonian from this angle.

Hey, what's the latest on the ridiculous building that looks like a ring pop? I think it was proposed around 2nd and Congress or thereabouts.

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

Not sure it would add that much anyway since it'd be hidden behind the Austonian from this angle.

Hey, what's the latest on the ridiculous building that looks like a ring pop? I think it was proposed around 2nd and Congress or thereabouts.

I can't think of the one you're talking about.  Ring pop?

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

You're not talking about that Mexic-Arte Museum that was supposed to be a giant circle on its side, are you?  It was on the same block as Frost.  Haven't heard anything about that project in years.

http://www.mexic-artemuseum.org/new_building