The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Opens up range, reliability, more creature comforts, inboards (especially diesel) raise fish better...probably more things Justhookit and others can articulate.

Limits draft, trailerability, maintenance costs, etc. (Though now that most center consoles over 32 ft have at least 3 outboards, I don't know if the maintenance costs are all that much different. 

Thanks. That is what I thought, just wanted to confirm.   It is my desire to either have a slip or dry stack, so the trailerability isn’t a huge concern.  What do people on the coast with larger boats do when a hurricane is inbound?  If moving the boat inland is the best course of action, I guess I will need a trailer, otherwise I wouldn’t even bother having one.

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Thanks. That is what I thought, just wanted to confirm.   It is my desire to either have a slip or dry stack, so the trailerability isn’t a huge concern.  What do people on the coast with larger boats do when a hurricane is inbound?  If moving the boat inland is the best course of action, I guess I will need a trailer, otherwise I wouldn’t even bother having one.

True Inboard sportfishers should be kept in the water. The shafts and tops and stuff make it difficult to put them in a dry stack. They're also super heavy and would probably have to be kept on the ground level. You need a gantry crane to get them out of the water, and for extensive maintenance (painting the hull bottom, working on the running gear, etc) they pull them out of the water and put them on blocks in the boat yard. 

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Opens up range, reliability, more creature comforts, inboards (especially diesel) raise fish better...probably more things Justhookit and others can articulate.

Limits draft, trailerability, maintenance costs, etc. (Though now that most center consoles over 32 ft have at least 3 outboards, I don't know if the maintenance costs are all that much different. 

This. You will knock out sandbars with an inboard unless you plan on swimming in. You will also knock out most inshore fishing options. You open up a number of different boat options with inboards that can cover a range of express style fishing boats, express cruisers, day boats, sport fishes, etc. Knowing what you plan to do with it makes a lot of difference in the 30+ foot world as there is a boat for all activities, but the ability to crossover to other activities can get limited.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

You are likely going to have to go slip with a 30+ foot non center console. People with boats that you can’t trailer either run them someplace out of the way, run them inland as far as they can, or do their best to secure them and hope they get a miss.

6 minutes ago, troph said:

I think pescado is probably already way past the point of forgiveness on fishing is my guess. 

I should have said excess boats are an ask for forgiveness purchase. First boats are a necessity. My wife just shakes her head every time I buy a new one at this point.

I like those flats style boats, but I really want something I can run down the coast a little bit in and still sight casts reds.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

This. You will knock out sandbars with an inboard unless you plan on swimming in. You will also knock out most inshore fishing options. You open up a number of different boat options with inboards that can cover a range of express style fishing boats, express cruisers, day boats, sport fishes, etc. Knowing what you plan to do with it makes a lot of difference in the 30+ foot world as there is a boat for all activities, but the ability to crossover to other activities can get limited.

Knocking out inshore fishing options is 100% a dealbreaker.

49 minutes ago, Brew said:

Since your budget is now more like $300k and we’re talking inboards, a Hinckley Picnic style should be in the discussion if fishing is out. I want something like this to just cruise around in.

https://www.galatiyachts.com/yachts/details/7667284/2005/hinckley/picnic-boat-ep/36/lq02/

That is not the budget, despite @Landomatic trying to make it so.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Knocking out inshore fishing options is 100% a dealbreaker.

We may need to better define inshore fishing (reds, trout, snook, tarpon is what I fish inshore), but true inshore fishing other than bridge fishing is going to be next to impossible in anything the size you are talking about. I only fish inshore and 22-25 foot is the limit on size with 12-13 inch drafts and a trolling motor being a necessity. I can’t see where a 33 foot twin outboard is going to be all that great for it although you could probably make an express work for portions of it.

1 minute ago, Brew said:

We may need to better define inshore fishing (reds, trout, snook, tarpon is what I fish inshore), but true inshore fishing other than bridge fishing is going to be next to impossible in anything the size you are talking about. I only fish inshore and 22-25 foot is the limit on size with 12-13 inch drafts and a trolling motor being a necessity. I can’t see where a 33 foot twin outboard is going to be all that great for it although you could probably make an express work for portions of it.

I’m gonna need 2 boats. 

I can’t remember your intended uses, but an inshore boat can be had reasonably and upkeep should be minimal. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy to fish with, I’ve seen everything from 4 figure pieces of shit to $300k+ Calcutta 263’s running in a foot and half of water chasing reds and tarpon. They work great for sand bar boats, cruising inshore, etc, but you see a lot of people with a bigger boat also to run offshore with or just to hang out all day on. It’s impossible to check all of the boxes, so it’s either check the most important ones or let’s talk about multiple boats. I usually have 3-4 by the time summer comes around, but I also don’t buy super high end and prefer multiple tools rather than one.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Brew said:

Now we’re talking.

If I didn’t have to pay slip fees I would buy a 19’ beater fuckaround boat for inshore fishing in addition to whatever else.  It’s difficult to justify the slip fees for something like that, and I have no interest in trailering.  Ideally we would get a place on the water with the ability to keep multiple boats, but that’s not in the cards.  She wants to be close to town, I want to be on the water.  On the water close to town is not in the budget, and she ain’t budging on that.  I don’t really want to do that either, as we would have to be too far from the city to really enjoy it, and the primary reason for making the move is because we really like the city.   Sounding like I am pivoting back to a CC.

28 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If I didn’t have to pay slip fees I would buy a 19’ beater fuckaround boat for inshore fishing in addition to whatever else.  It’s difficult to justify the slip fees for something like that, and I have no interest in trailering.  Ideally we would get a place on the water with the ability to keep multiple boats, but that’s not in the cards.  She wants to be close to town, I want to be on the water.  On the water close to town is not in the budget, and she ain’t budging on that.  I don’t really want to do that either, as we would have to be too far from the city to really enjoy it, and the primary reason for making the move is because we really like the city.   Sounding like I am pivoting back to a CC.

My solution is to charter for bay fishing, focus on fly fishing and I’ll probably add a kayak. There are ways to fish a lot inshore on shore whatever without having that boat. Even $20k is a ton of $300-400 bay charters. 

Edited by troph

3 minutes ago, troph said:

My solution is to charter for bay fishing, focus on fly fishing and I’ll probably add a kayak. There are ways to fish a lot inshore on shore whatever without having that boat. Even $20k is a ton of $300-400 bay charters. 

Big part of the appeal of bay/creek/river fishing is the ability to go out for an hour or two to clear your head.  Feels like wasting money to pay for a 1/2 day charter for that.  This is more complicated than I anticipated it being.  I’m not sure fly fishing is a wormhole I need to go down right now, I’ve got enough going on as is.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Big part of the appeal of bay/creek/river fishing is the ability to go out for an hour or two to clear your head.  Feels like wasting money to pay for a 1/2 day charter for that.  This is more complicated than I anticipated it being.  I’m not sure fly fishing is a wormhole I need to go down right now, I’ve got enough going on as is.

Fair enough.  I don’t have a spot I can easily go to fish and get home in 3 hours unless it’s lake Travis and I’m not really interested in fishing LT.  If I lived right on the coast I might prefer a CC for the same reason you mention.

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Fair enough.  I don’t have a spot I can easily go to fish and get home in 3 hours unless it’s lake Travis and I’m not really interested in fishing LT.  If I lived right on the coast I might prefer a CC for the same reason you mention.

It is the preferred boat type there, and there is probably a reason for that.  Lots of folks went through the same thought process I am going through now, and that is the answer most of them came up with.  

1 hour ago, Brew said:

I can’t remember your intended uses, but an inshore boat can be had reasonably and upkeep should be minimal. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy to fish with, I’ve seen everything from 4 figure pieces of shit to $300k+ Calcutta 263’s running in a foot and half of water chasing reds and tarpon. They work great for sand bar boats, cruising inshore, etc, but you see a lot of people with a bigger boat also to run offshore with or just to hang out all day on. It’s impossible to check all of the boxes, so it’s either check the most important ones or let’s talk about multiple boats. I usually have 3-4 by the time summer comes around, but I also don’t buy super high end and prefer multiple tools rather than one.

Thanks for telling me I can’t check all of the boxes.  That is what I was trying to do.  Seems like you are a lake guy and an ocean guy if IIRC.  Curious, do you have an offshore tool?  Because the decision making here would get pretty simple if that wasn’t a factor.

Edited by conVINCEd

I run all over. We are on the lake while school is in session and it’s warm and then at the beach for the summer and off and on the rest of the year. I keep a pontoon and jet skis at the lake and typically have a wakeboat, but I sold it last spring.

At the beach I don’t run offshore other than just on calm days. It was lowest on my list of priorities. I want to inshore fish, hit the sandbars, run to restaurants, etc., so I’ve screwed with a few different varieties and have settled on going back to a 24’ bay boat for down there. I want something trailerable or that I can keep in a dry stack this time and the big boats just don’t work for where we’re at. I had planned on going with a DC, but I fish too much at this point. I also don’t keep boats long and like to rotate, so it will probably be something else this time next year. 

26 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

It is the preferred boat type there, and there is probably a reason for that.  Lots of folks went through the same thought process I am going through now, and that is the answer most of them came up with.  

The escape thing is legit for sure. You’re full circle. Your boat most likely, not yours and hers. And that’s ok. Or maybe she wants the same thing.  Seems like a hard choice. But you’re taking about buying a boat, buy a solid one and you’re guaranteed one thing no matter what - good times.  

^^I used to fish religiously with my buddy out of Port A on his 23' Mako.  I mean we put in time.  And we went out a LOT farther than reasonable people should (40 - 50 miles).

That was back in our bulletproof, college days.   

The last time I fished w/him was about 5 yrs ago on his current set-up, which is a Bertram (35 foot or so, I can't remember specifially).  The way it brought fish up, especially billfish, was a night and day improvement.  Whole different ballgame in that regard.

That said, gotdamn we had fun out on that Mako.  

34489_411797322347_4489339_n.jpg

45100_425986312347_5918959_n.jpg

45752_425986387347_5039253_n.jpg

1935521_101415722347_3101642_n-1.jpg

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, troph said:The escape thing is legit for sure. You’re full circle. Your boat most likely, not yours and hers. And that’s ok. Or maybe she wants the same thing.  Seems like a hard choice. But you’re taking about buying a boat, buy a solid one and you’re guaranteed one thing no matter what - good times.  

She wants the ability to take the nieces and nephews to some of the beaches that are only accessible by boat.  At some point when they get a little older we will probably want to tow a tube and toss them around a little bit.  I’m guessing most boats can be adapted to do that.  She also wants to do sightseeing tours with out of town guests.  Look, there’s Ft. Sumter, that is where the first shot of he Civil War was fired.  Would you like some more Rose?  Look there’s a plantation, those buildings over there are where they used to house the slaves.  Champagne anyone?  Some of the Civil War shit makes me uncomfortable, but it is what it is.  Charleston is actually a pretty progressive place as far as Southern cities go.  One of her cousin’s is the most flamboyantly fabulous gay man you will ever meet, and he thrives there.  If he lived in Birmingham he probably wouldn’t.

48 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Thanks for telling me I can’t check all of the boxes.

I hate to tell you this, but even once you nail it down, no boat checks all the boxes. It’s just not how the physics work.  You’ll need to nail down what you really want to do to make the best decision.  You’re lucky that you’ll be sticking to one area, because that throws in a while other set of variables. 

I guess what I’m saying is get 2. 

26 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I hate to tell you this, but even once you nail it down, no boat checks all the boxes. It’s just not how the physics work.  You’ll need to nail down what you really want to do to make the best decision.  You’re lucky that you’ll be sticking to one area, because that throws in a while other set of variables. 

I guess what I’m saying is get 2. 

That will be a tough sell.

23 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

That will be a tough sell.

I was kind of joking. But for example, much of Texas coast is shallow.  In order to run shallow, you need a tunnel.  Typically (there are exceptions) tunnel boats are very slow and inefficient because moving water into that tunnel and redirecting to your leg is an inefficient process. So now you have a slow, inefficient boat that can’t reverse, but you can go shallow.  Then cats hit the coast. They run pretty shallow, but can run fast (very fast) because many are air entrapment hulls. So now you have a semi shallow, but fast af and efficient ride.  But fatty, isn’t Texas filled with large choppy bays too? Correct.  Well those shallow flat bottom tunnels and air entrapment cats suck at navigating those large choppy bays.  So a choice has to be made.   People will tell you that you can have it all, you can’t.   It’s like the old saying that you can pick 2 of 3 of fast, cheap, or reliable.  

I went from a boat that could run in water just above your ankles or miles to one that needs knee deep water because I got tired of having my brains beat out in 10 mph winds.  Gaining an additional 35 mph of speed and doubling the fuel mileage was just lagniappe.  But I really really miss the back lakes and all they have to offer.  Until I make a 70 mile run from POC to Aransas in March in hopes of winning a little trophy. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

They take them to the Victoria Barge Canal, pull the plugs, sink it to keep it from having structural damage, and collect on their insurance.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

She wants the ability to take the nieces and nephews to some of the beaches that are only accessible by boat.  At some point when they get a little older we will probably want to tow a tube and toss them around a little bit.  I’m guessing most boats can be adapted to do that.  She also wants to do sightseeing tours with out of town guests.  Look, there’s Ft. Sumter, that is where the first shot of he Civil War was fired.  Would you like some more Rose?  Look there’s a plantation, those buildings over there are where they used to house the slaves.  Champagne anyone?  Some of the Civil War shit makes me uncomfortable, but it is what it is.  Charleston is actually a pretty progressive place as far as Southern cities go.  One of her cousin’s is the most flamboyantly fabulous gay man you will ever meet, and he thrives there.  If he lived in Birmingham he probably wouldn’t.

I’ve heard good things about there too. And at this point you’ll find your boat and it will be fabulous. 

Thanks for telling me I can’t check all of the boxes.  That is what I was trying to do.  Seems like you are a lake guy and an ocean guy if IIRC.  Curious, do you have an offshore tool?  Because the decision making here would get pretty simple if that wasn’t a factor.

Being addicted to saltwater, and wanting the best of both World's (inshore and offshore), I was absolutely mesmerized when ShallowSport came out with their 27' Latitude. It could get up in 12", and run 50 miles offshore. It's a CC with a head available, but you're exposed to the elements. Hadn't looked at it in years, it is now called the X3, and will soon be available in a 32' model. I dreamed and fantasized about owning one, would probably have gotten a divorce if it meant getting one. They are a good hull and really hold their value . It's a bay boat, but not really a shallow water boat. Would be considerably North of $150k, and would be only available new. They are definitely trailerable. But it sounds like you need to bite the bullet, and get a slip for your offshore boat, and get a cheap bay boat you can keep on a trailer.

It's impossible to justify a slip for a a used flats boat. You will eat up the boats worth in just a few years. I would look into finding a fishing buddy that knew the area, he takes you fishing on the skinny water, you take him offshore in a cost-based ratio. It's a lot more expensive to run offshore. 

CHIEF

24 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I was kind of joking. But for example, much of Texas coast is shallow.  In order to run shallow, you need a tunnel.  Typically (there are exceptions) tunnel boats are very slow and inefficient because moving water into that tunnel and redirecting to your leg is an inefficient process. So now you have a slow, inefficient boat that can’t reverse, but you can go shallow.  Then cats hit the coast. They run pretty shallow, but can run fast (very fast) because many are air entrapment hulls. So now you have a semi shallow, but fast af and efficient ride.  But fatty, isn’t Texas filled with large choppy bays too? Correct.  Well those shallow flat bottom tunnels and air entrapment cats suck at navigating those large choppy bays.  So a choice has to be made.   People will tell you that you can have it all, you can’t.   It’s like the old saying that you can pick 2 of 3 of fast, cheap, or reliable.  

I went from a boat that could run in water just above your ankles or miles to one that needs knee deep water because I got tired of having my brains beat out in 10 mph winds.  Gaining an additional 35 mph of speed and doubling the fuel mileage was just lagniappe.  But I really really miss the back lakes and all they have to offer.  Until I make a 70 mile run from POC to Aransas in March in hopes of winning a little trophy. 

That looks like where we run our side by sides, not boats. I fish shallow, but to me that’s calf deep and I’m not running the boat. FWC would not take kindly to me running across the flats in that I don’t think. I assume the tunnel directs water to the prop so you have propulsion. However, how do you keep from grenading lower units in those conditions? It seems like the ability to pull enough clean water to cool everything would be difficult. 

31 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Looks like Rahal Bayou on a low tide, running to Pringle.

CHIEF

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

II am not as knowledgeable as I should be about the waters surrounding the city.  I’ve been out on the water 5 times there.  I know they can get shallow.  I know a guy who got stuck because he was somewhere he shouldn’t be at the wrong time of day, and he had to wait for the tide to come back in to get home.  I know the last time we were there we were out at low tide and the guy operating the boat was cognizant to stay one the left side of the creek we were navigating because the right side can get real shallow.  This was in a 21’ CC, so we couldn’t have had much draft.

53 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

It's impossible to justify a slip for a a used flats boat. You will eat up the boats worth in just a few years. I would look into finding a fishing buddy that knew the area, he takes you fishing on the skinny water, you take him offshore in a cost-based ratio. It's a lot more expensive to run offshore. 

CHIEF

That’s a good idea CHIEF.  I’m actually banking on the guy I know with the 21’ CC to be my boating mentor even though he is not yet aware of that arrangement.  He has a captain’s license, and despite trying to kill me a few years ago in some bad weather, he is a pretty good dude.  That doesn’t get me fishing whenever I want to fish on my own terms, but perhaps it might be a pretty good compromise.

Edited by conVINCEd

@troph we are up in the same area of lake Travis. I’m north shore though in Lago vista at Waterford.  Who else is up our way? I can’t keep track. The reason I’m asking is because we are having major issues with the 50’ yachts that have exploded in the last year. Their rollers are tearing our marina apart. I’m curious if y’all are seeing the same thing? It’s very common that someone has one of the bolts that attaches their lift to the marina is sheared off. I mean one time they rolled thru and the 37’ foot formula next to us destroyed his anchor light and tower when it hit the marina roof. After that bitch rolled thru the entire marina was soaked in water as all the boats rolled with it.  I have so much more to say on this. 

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Being addicted to saltwater, and wanting the best of both World's (inshore and offshore), I was absolutely mesmerized when ShallowSport came out with their 27' Latitude. It could get up in 12", and run 50 miles offshore. It's a CC with a head available, but you're exposed to the elements. Hadn't looked at it in years, it is now called the X3, and will soon be available in a 32' model. I dreamed and fantasized about owning one, would probably have gotten a divorce if it meant getting one. They are a good hull and really hold their value . It's a bay boat, but not really a shallow water boat. Would be considerably North of $150k, and would be only available new. They are definitely trailerable. But it sounds like you need to bite the bullet, and get a slip for your offshore boat, and get a cheap bay boat you can keep on a trailer.

CHIEF

It’s impossible to justify a boat. That’s really all you had to say but that’s no fun, so here we all are.

BTW have I ever mentioned mine is on the market? It’ll never sell unless I lower the price by about 200,000 but in the meantime some idiot could come along. You never know.

8 hours ago, FizzleFish said:

@troph we are up in the same area of lake Travis. I’m north shore though in Lago vista at Waterford.  Who else is up our way? I can’t keep track. The reason I’m asking is because we are having major issues with the 50’ yachts that have exploded in the last year. Their rollers are tearing our marina apart. I’m curious if y’all are seeing the same thing? It’s very common that someone has one of the bolts that attaches their lift to the marina is sheared off. I mean one time they rolled thru and the 37’ foot formula next to us destroyed his anchor light and tower when it hit the marina roof. After that bitch rolled thru the entire marina was soaked in water as all the boats rolled with it.  I have so much more to say on this. 

We are between bee creek and the cove just before rough hollow if you were boating toward us.  Our marina does get a lot of action but not as direct as yours probably does. I love looking at the big cruisers but they honestly have no business on the lake.  I have a hard time piling on because we surfers are quite annoying at times too. We try to stay away from marinas as best we can but the lake is just getting crowded.  It’s why we generally try to boat week day evenings or very late on weekends.  I wouldn’t be opposed to a restrictions on the big cruisers just don’t know how to do that.  I chuckle though because why on earth would anyone put a 50 foot cruiser on lake Travis? Even corpus would be better and that’s 4 hours away.  For me and 50 feet? I’m in south Florida half the year.

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

Also this is actually a really good “deal”, seriously, if anyone wants to go in the business of fishing charters.

https://www.foxyachtsales.com/boats-for-sale/2004-cabo-express-quepos-7222927/

If I thought there was good money in charters I’d partner up with someone here and pull the trigger.  That’s a great deal! 

9 hours ago, Brew said:

That looks like where we run our side by sides, not boats. I fish shallow, but to me that’s calf deep and I’m not running the boat. FWC would not take kindly to me running across the flats in that I don’t think. I assume the tunnel directs water to the prop so you have propulsion. However, how do you keep from grenading lower units in those conditions? It seems like the ability to pull enough clean water to cool everything would be difficult. 

We can’t legally run the flats (with grass) either.  Those are just mud cuts and oilfield cuts down south. Correct the water is funneled to the tunnel where the prop can access it while high on the JP.  That guy was the king of that shallow shit. Ran a Honda outboard on a Majek RFL and was heavy in the redfish tournament scene.  I recall when he sold the boat it had a few thousand hours on the motor, and you could damn near see thru the bottom looking in the rear boxes.  Those are wintertime tides leading to back lakes that open up to a foot or so deep.  That boat is notorious for sliding (as you see when the movie ends). Anyhow he would always tell people to have to slow down as absolutely slow as you can go when there’s no water so it gives the tunnel time to squeeze the water from the mud.  But that is the absolute worst riding boat around in any chop, and they are slow (not great on tournament day).  But to access the deepest untouched back lakes...  

There is no one right answer unless you have only 1 thing you want to do in one area.  It’s all partial credit. 

For seven figures @conVINCEd can have exactly everything he wants... CC, sea keeper, enclosed head, shade with a cabin, little kitchen and table area, nice leather seats, comfy for the ladies cruising by civil war sites.  

https://www.galatiyachts.com/yachts/details/2777047/2022/valhalla-boatworks/v46/46/lqnew/

C9243352-5D50-4AEF-952E-B0786AC74DF8.jpeg

he could drop a few feet and land at $845,000 and still keep a roof over the head. 

B36C8A2D-8340-4026-96CB-A18F6AB9FD0B.jpeg

https://www.galatiyachts.com/yachts/details/7726077/2021/valhalla-boatworks/center-console/41/lq03/

you can thank me later.  Ha. 

If he sprung for the first he’d have the same boat as Tom Brady. 

Edited by troph

4 minutes ago, troph said:

For $845,000 @conVINCEd can have exactly everything he wants... CC, sea keeper, enclosed head, shade with a cabin, nice leather seats, comfy for the ladies cruising by civil war sites.  

B36C8A2D-8340-4026-96CB-A18F6AB9FD0B.jpeg

https://www.galatiyachts.com/yachts/details/7726077/2021/valhalla-boatworks/center-console/41/lq03/

you can thank me later.  Ha. 

Based upon @justhookit’s recommendation I looked for SeaVees.  I could only find one with a cabin for sale, but it’s a beauty, even if it’s a little out of my price range.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2012-seavee-43-7696011/

A1A0A237-377F-4587-BBEA-A926974C9A4D.jpeg

Yes! You could pull the fighting chair out throw out some light weight couches and put in a table for the cruises.  

You’d need a boat partner or three for that but honestly that is one of the best ways to step up to a nicer boat - takes a lot to be on the same page but I’ve seen it work.  Folks will jump all over me for it I’m sure but I’m a partnership, joint venture, deal attorney (among other things) so these kinds of set ups don’t scare me.  In fact I may go that route on my first sea vessel if I can find like minded folks to share the cost and share the fun.  

for $850k I’m getting a used hatty SF yacht instead of the one you found though.  And that seaVee isn’t finding skinny water for you in the bay. 

Edited by troph

ok adding a new topic...

I'm one week away from the sailing certification restart!  so mariners, sailors!  what's the top list of makers for sea worthy vessels in your experience?  and what is your dream blue water sailing yacht.  just curious.  @Sbbruin @Viking@G650  does look like you can get more boat for the money than MYs and without a massive fuel bill a crew is more affordable. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

II am not as knowledgeable as I should be about the waters surrounding the city.  I’ve been out on the water 5 times there.  I know they can get shallow.  I know a guy who got stuck because he was somewhere he shouldn’t be at the wrong time of day, and he had to wait for the tide to come back in to get home.  I know the last time we were there we were out at low tide and the guy operating the boat was cognizant to stay one the left side of the creek we were navigating because the right side can get real shallow.  This was in a 21’ CC, so we couldn’t have had much draft.

If it’s anything like the Savannah area, most of your time is spent in marsh areas where you need to be able to float in a foot and a half or less water if fishing or you’re going to run offshore chasing the big fish. There are some large boats that have a draft where you can still fish skinny water. I know the Bonefish Tortuga is under a foot and a half because I’ve spent a lot of time looking at their Malvado/Ozona lines. They are probably a little too hard core fishing though for sight seeing. I would look at the 26 foot or so bay/hybrids out there as the counter to the 30+ feet boats. There are several that have nice seating options that will cover all water needs outside of having a cabin. If a cabin is a deal breaker, then you can focus on fishing deeper water/cuts starting out or buy two boats.

24 minutes ago, Brew said:

I would look at the 26 foot or so bay/hybrids out there as the counter to the 30+ feet boats. There are several that have nice seating options that will cover all water needs outside of having a cabin.

Barker.  Probably not best for a first boat but it’s in the price range and does all that. No cabin obviously.   But when he gets tired of the wife bitching I’ll buy that old depreciated thing...

1 hour ago, troph said:

Folks will jump all over me for it I’m sure but I’m a partnership, joint venture, deal attorney (among other things) so these kinds of set ups don’t scare me.

I’ve owned two with a partner.  Wasn’t a bad deal at all.  Ensures everything is constantly in ship shape, and for half the cost.   I know people that have a landcut place in a big group and it’s never been a problem. I’ll probably end up in a cabin down there with a group at some point. I could see it being a nightmare if it wasn’t the right deal tho.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve owned two with a partner.  Wasn’t a bad deal at all.  Ensures everything is constantly in ship shape, and for half the cost.   I know people that have a landcut place in a big group and it’s never been a problem. I’ll probably end up in a cabin down there with a group at some point. I could see it being a nightmare if it wasn’t the right deal tho.  

I'm very open to it, at least round one in south florida if we go that route. I think our fantasy (which it is at this point) of cruising or sailing the Med probably has to be solo unless we find a couple that we just love being around.  but that's highly unlikely, even our best of friends that we travel with annoy us within 3 days.  with all there is to do in South Florida and trips to the Bahamas, December through March is easy to divide up so everyone gets a month or even more to themselves.  Buying a $1.5M retirement cruiser or sailing yacht and splitting that and op costs 3-4 ways ($375,000 - $500,000 on the boat) is kinda brilliant.

Edited by troph

14 minutes ago, troph said:

with all there is to do in South Florida and trips to the Bahamas, December through March is easy to divide up so everyone gets a month or even more to themselves.

The land cut group splits its up in smaller times because I think there is 10 of them (funny thing, the family I know in that group are deep into 8 figure wealth; no idea why they are in a group for a 150k cabin but besides the point) but they never have issues.  If it’s someone week and they aren’t using it, a phone call and it’s yours.  Obviously with 3 partners whatever it could be longer durations but I would think 2-2.5 weeks would be the sweet spot.  Wouldn’t want to miss an entire month etc.  The only way it works is if everyone stays happy.  Just my .02