The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Just now, CHIEF said:

Yep, they have a beautiful and sexy hull design and style. If I were gonna buy a boat to only have for a few years with minimal depreciation, Cobalt would be at the top of my list.

Kind of the Mercedes Benz of boats?  Or am I off on that?

Because I've had a lot of cars, and that is MB to a fucking teeeee

19 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Kind of the Mercedes Benz of boats?  Or am I off on that?

Because I've had a lot of cars, and that is MB to a fucking teeeee

I would definitely say they are in that category. There are better built boats that are much cheaper, but don't have the cult following, but they also don't have the sexy ass lines either. Personally, I like a hand laid hull in a fiberglass boat, they won't crack in really rough conditions, but as I have gotten older, I am smart enough to not take a boat out in shitty conditions. I say that, but in the last 10 years, I have been in two storms that I wasn't able to outrun. But that was in a loaded down pontoon boat.

I worked for one summer at Bay Marine as a boat salesman, in between more important jobs. The point that Cobalts weren't hand laid was always a sales tactic that we used, along with price point. That you could get this less expensive boat that was hand laid for 60% of the price of a Cobalt. What we didn't tell them, was in 5 years the Cobalt would depreciate about 30-40% but the better built generic boat we were selling might be worth 50%of the original price. However, your initial buy-in was cheaper, so you lost less money.

I would never buy new anyway, if I were to buy a five year old boat, it would be a Cobalt, or something similar with a cult following. You can keep it another five years and at the most loose 15% of what you paid.

I know my first and last paragraph contradict each other, but I would probably buy something hand laid with a cult following. My next boat will be aused Majek, Flats Cat, Trans Cat, Shallow Sport, or another brand of bay boat.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I would definitely say they are in that category. There are better built boats that are much cheaper, but don't have the cult following, but they also don't have the sexy ass lines either. Personally, I like a hand laid hull in a fiberglass boat, they won't crack in really rough conditions, but as I have gotten older, I am smart enough to not take a boat out in shitty conditions. I say that, but in the last 10 years, I have been in two storms that I wasn't able to outrun. But that was in a loaded down pontoon boat.

I worked for one summer at Bay Marine as a boat salesman, in between more important jobs. The point that Cobalts weren't hand laid was always a sales tactic that we used, along with price point. That you could get this less expensive boat that was hand laid for 60% of the price of a Cobalt. What we didn't tell them, was in 5 years the Cobalt would depreciate about 30-40% but the better built generic boat we were selling might be worth 50%of the original price. However, your initial buy-in was cheaper, so you lost less money.

I would never buy new anyway, if I were to buy a five year old boat, it would be a Cobalt, or something similar with a cult following. You can keep it another five years and at the most loose 15% of what you paid.

CHIEF

I paid $20K sold it three years later for $17K.  not apples to apples given the age was already pushing 20 years old but it was easy to sell it and we used it hard for 3 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Sexy!  What is that?

Princess 60 foot MY/flybridge.  here's another, same boat (62 not 60):

spacer.png

I'm way down a rabbit hole thinking about cruising the Med in one of these in about 8 years.  I'd die broke most likely if we do this, but so what?

Edited by troph

14 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I know my first and last paragraph contradict each other, but I would probably buy something hand laid with a cult following. My next boat will be aused Majek, Flats Cat, Trans Cat, Shallow Sport, or another brand of bay boat.

CHIEF

tl;dr

You wanna talk about cult following, let’s talk Chi’s-Craft.  Ohhhh my god....that shit is beyond a panty dropper.

keep in mind I was supposed to be on day two of my sailing certification today so I'm allowed some unbridled dreaming this afternoon.  plus I put in a half day of work yesterday as well and am sitting down to do some more.  I get a 1:1 on work : boat dreaming on the weekends I've decided.

I've got a lot of little corners of the web discovered, found this killer website for nautical miles and it's pretty addictive.  you can bounce around the bahamas and the med pretty easily it seems.

https://www.sailgreeceyachts.com/sailing-distances-greece.html

a few days ago I did not know it was only 86 nautical miles from Valencia Spain to Ibiza.  who knew?  lol.

downloaded active captain app while soaking in the tub this morning to warm up and stopped just shy of spending a few hundo on the charts ( @G650 I'm a quick learner) for the Bahamas, but I can tell you where to anchor for a remote beach with solid sandy bottom for stability and where fuel is available now on several of the islands. 

I'm in so much trouble. lulz.

Edited by troph

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

tl;dr

You wanna talk about cult following, let’s talk Chi’s-Craft.  Ohhhh my god....that shit is beyond a panty dropper.

then above that those wooden boats you see on Lake Como insta shots?  that kinda boat in the Talented Mr. Ripley I think it was?  James Bond, like that aston martin of two seater boats.  drop $250K or whatever on a 26 foot wooden boat.  jesus christos man, how?

1 minute ago, troph said:

then above that those wooden boats you see on Lake Como insta shots?  that kinda boat in the Talented Mr. Ripley I think it was?  James Bond, like that aston martin of two seater boats.  drop $250K or whatever on a 26 foot wooden boat.  jesus christos man, how?

I think you’re talking about a Riva?  I have a picture of that on my wall in my living room.  Hang on...

8 minutes ago, troph said:

These boats???  Spectacular!!!

AB2A1DFE-F16B-450E-8379-F9B29EC1D8CA.jpeg

yes.  sexy as can be but I have always had a hard time understanding how one goes about justifying their prices.  I guess nothing says rich to the smoking hot young ladies like being on lake como in a boat like that you can call your own. 

Edited by troph

2 minutes ago, troph said:

yes.  sexy as can be but I have always had a hard time understanding how one goes about justifying their prices.  I guess nothing says rich to the smoking hot young ladies like being on lake como in a boat like that you can call your own. 

Enjoy the next twenty minutes...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, troph said:

yes.  sexy as can be but I have always had a hard time understanding how one goes about justifying their prices.

The craftsmanship and rare wood. They are built out of mahogany. A mahogany Gibson or Martin guitar will set you back a few grand. Imagine a boat that you could make 70 custom guitars from. Also, bending it and shaping it is kinda a lost art.

There are companies that can build a brand new one, but are priced in the same category

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

9 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Enjoy the next twenty minutes...

watching now, saw reference to it the other day, didn't check it out, but saw Rivas on one of the online boat broker aggregators the other day. sheeeeit. went back and checked. $715K.  ha.

Edited by troph

oh and I'm mistaken, four seaters not two seaters.  that makes all the difference.  lando's 2 girls at the same time or just an ordinary double date kinda set up. motor over to the restuarant for some bolognese and return back to your lake como water front estate while the sun goes down.  who wouldn't pay $715K for that?  it's like taking the wakesurf boat to carlos and charlies or ski shores, maybe more like the hula hut but different.

tl;dr
When my dad divorced his 2nd wife he bought a waterfront condo and had it decorated like an antique chris craft interior. Mahogany or teak woodwork, built ins, and paneling, or at least stained and varnished to that look. Dining room table was crafted from an authentic CC settee table, and there were brass fixtures everywhere. Ceiling was glossy white wood planks slightly arched to resemble a cabin cruiser interior. My grandfather had 5 chris craft yachts in sucession, each one bigger than the previous. The Miss Nick I through V, the latest was a 60s era.

He is an avid collector of fine wooden boat models. I guess I'm going to inherit quite a bit of CC kitsch.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I think you’re talking about a Riva?  I have a picture of that on my wall in my living room.  Hang on...

Rivas are my jam.

ETA: Covid notwithstanding my wife and I usually hit Como every summer so I get to ride on one occasionally. My retirement pipe dream is waterfront villa on Como with a Riva in the boathouse

Edited by G650
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, troph said:

keep in mind I was supposed to be on day two of my sailing certification today so I'm allowed some unbridled dreaming this afternoon.  plus I put in a half day of work yesterday as well and am sitting down to do some more.  I get a 1:1 on work : boat dreaming on the weekends I've decided.

I've got a lot of little corners of the web discovered, found this killer website for nautical miles and it's pretty addictive.  you can bounce around the bahamas and the med pretty easily it seems.

https://www.sailgreeceyachts.com/sailing-distances-greece.html

a few days ago I did not know it was only 86 nautical miles from Valencia Spain to Ibiza.  who knew?  lol.

downloaded active captain app while soaking in the tub this morning to warm up and stopped just shy of spending a few hundo on the charts ( @G650 I'm a quick learner) for the Bahamas, but I can tell you where to anchor for a remote beach with solid sandy bottom for stability and where fuel is available now on several of the islands. 

I'm in so much trouble. lulz.

Bolded seems like a good boat name 😉 

38 minutes ago, G650 said:

Rivas are my jam.

ETA: Covid notwithstanding my wife and I usually hit Como every summer so I get to ride on one occasionally. My retirement pipe dream is waterfront villa on Como with a Riva in the boathouse

Yeah I’m putting that shit on the list.  Goals man

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, G650 said:

Last time I was in Valencia, we took the ferry over to Ibiza for a night before moving to next destination. True Story, my mother was the only one who made it to the clubs with me that night.

I can't wait.  t-minus baby, t-minus.  just gonna learn my shit between now and then and take one step after the other.  next summer with cruising certs in the BVIs will be when I know my dream is real and gonna happen.

1 minute ago, troph said:

I can't wait.  t-minus baby, t-minus.  just gonna learn my shit between now and then and take one step after the other.  next summer with cruising certs in the BVIs will be when I know my dream is real and gonna happen.

Just watch below deck on bravo.  Should tell you everything you need to know.  Lol

full disclosure...that’s what hooked mrs lando enough to get our current boat

even fuller disclosure...I hate to admit it but I effin love that show.  but hey, what’s not to love?

51 minutes ago, G650 said:

Rivas are my jam.

I wanna party with 650 and his lady. 

18 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Just watch below deck on bravo.  Should tell you everything you need to know.  Lol

full disclosure...that’s what hooked mrs lando enough to get our current boat

even fuller disclosure...I hate to admit it but I effin love that show.  but hey, what’s not to love?

When I was younger and less tuned into what luxury is I wanted to be a SF yacht boat captain out of Port A.  This shit is in my blood, just want to do it with some cash not as the hired help. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, those fuckers will have 25 years on me by the time I start. Who’s the genius now troph?

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Last time I was in Valencia, we took the ferry over to Ibiza for a night before moving to next destination. True Story, my mother was the only one who made it to the clubs with me that night.

My mom is super religious and wants to tour the holy land as her dream vacation. I will probably send her with friends without us but I’d prefer to have her join us on a Greek isle vacation with Crete and Cyprus as part of it before moving over to Israel and dropping her off to meet friends there. I doubt she’d go clubbing with me and the girlfriend nor would she be too hip at the gay clubs on Mykonos but she’d appreciate the effort I’m sure. 

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

The craftsmanship and rare wood. They are built out of mahogany. A mahogany Gibson or Martin guitar will set you back a few grand. Imagine a boat that you could make 70 custom guitars from. Also, bending it and shaping it is kinda a lost art.

There are companies that can build a brand new one, but are priced in the same category

CHIEF

Old boss had a 55 foot all wood CC. Was gorgeous. Twin Diesel engines. Huge pirate steering wheel. Had a full time husband/wife captain team who basically spent all year caring for the wood end to end. Such a party cruiser. Although shit got stolen all of the time. Logos. Ladders etc. 

looked similar to this one

50944589822_b1a7315496_c.jpg

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, troph said:

oh and I'm mistaken, four seaters not two seaters.  that makes all the difference.  lando's 2 girls at the same time or just an ordinary double date kinda set up. motor over to the restuarant for some bolognese and return back to your lake como water front estate while the sun goes down.  who wouldn't pay $715K for that?  it's like taking the wakesurf boat to carlos and charlies or ski shores, maybe more like the hula hut but different.

I was going to make a witty comment here about other boats that cost $715k, but I don’t have my associates degree in boating yet, so I refrained.

Edited by conVINCEd
Auto correct

31 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I was going to make a witty comment here about other boats that cost $715k, but I don’t have my associates degree in boating yet, so I refrained.

what the heck do you think I have?  I'm definitely last chance u here.  but I have a "12 seater" surf boat almost the same length as that riva that costs 1/7th the price.  so I feel like I'm a rock star genius rolling up to shack 512 for their pimento burger on lake travis. shit bro, ritas on me!! who needs lake como and the lamborghini riva wooden boat cuz I'm a LT balla. lulz.

Edited by troph

15 minutes ago, troph said:

what the fuck do you think I have?  I'm definitely last chance u here.  but I have a "12 seater" surf boat almost the same length as that riva that costs 1/7th the price.  so I feel like I'm a rock star genius rolling up to shack 512 for their pimento burger on lake travis. shit bro, ritas on me!! cuz I'm a LT balla. lulz.

I have no boat.  Have never had a boat.  I was gonna say that I would prefer the Riva to a loaded 35’ Scout (about the same price range), which in my brief foray into the coastal boating world would appear to me to be incredibly overpriced.  The fact that a few of the models include built in Yetis lead me to believe I am on the right track here, but I lacked the confidence in that opinion to state it.   I would also prefer a vintage Ferrari  to a modern Corvette, despite the fact that the later would win any performance competition.  One is a work of art, one is a neat machine.

edit: that being said, I’m buying neither of those, so I’m gonna take my not insignificant little ball of cash and do the best I can for myself.

Edited by conVINCEd

I love wine but I got so irritated with the blockers and gatekeepers the ones that make you feel uncomfortable about it, I hate wine snobs, complicated hobbies need to be more accessible, same with boating.  I decided long time ago to hell with them. I don’t know shit? I’m still sticking around because I want to learn. you have no boat but you want one. You belong. And yeah never ridden on a scout never considered buying one. I don’t know if they are good.  I’d find out the leaders for the type of boat you want and find the price range you can afford.  Btw I make tons of fun of those Rivas because with $700k I’m reaching for a sea vessel, but yeah they are smoking hot. 

29 minutes ago, troph said:

I love wine but I got so irritated with the blockers and gatekeepers the ones that make you feel uncomfortable about it, I hate wine snobs, complicated hobbies need to be more accessible, same with boating.  I decided long time ago to hell with them. I don’t know shit? I’m still sticking around because I want to learn. you have no boat but you want one. You belong. And yeah never ridden on a scout never considered buying one. I don’t know if they are good.  I’d find out the leaders for the type of boat you want and find the price range you can afford.  Btw I make tons of fun of those Rivas because with $700k I’m reaching for a sea vessel, but yeah they are smoking hot. 

If I could afford a boat as an art installation piece the Riva would probably be at the top of my list.  Those gentlemen on Lake Como probably have both.  What I am trying to sort out for myself is this:  I don’t mind paying for quality but I don’t like paying for brand names because it happens to be cool at the time. That’s my impression of Scout, but I don’t know enough to know if that is correct.  If they have invented a better mousetrap I’ll give them a look, a used one isn’t too far outside of the budgetary constraints,  but if they charge a premium because the Instagram bros think they’re badass, I’ll pass.

8 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

A little fishing, a little cruising, a little entertaining, etc. so far that’s the extent of the game plan?

That’s about right. 

edit: I would probably like to think it is going to be 50/25/25.  Reality probably looks like 30/35/35.

Edited by conVINCEd

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

The fact that a few of the models include built in Yetis lead me to believe I am on the right track here

No truer words.

but I lacked the confidence in that opinion to state it.

You were right.  Shoulda been more confident in it.

I would also prefer a vintage Ferrari  to a modern Corvette, despite the fact that the later would win any performance competition.  One is a work of art, one is a neat machine.

Also, no truer words.

Gotta trust your gut and do what works for you on some of this shit.  Not saying you should spend half a mil on a Riva, but you seem like the kinda guy who might appreciate at least a Chris-Craft.

If I was buying a day boat, the list would begin and end with a Chris-Craft Corsair.