The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

20 hours ago, Cajun said:

Anyone ever boated on Lake Amistad?  I have this unshakable urge to trailer over there and see what’s what.

It's a great lake.  Absolutely gorgeous.  As long as you stay on the east side.  The Devils River arm that @CHIEF referred to is legit.  Huge bluffs and flowing springs when the water table is up.  Watch the lake level, though.  Currently at 63% of capacity.  So, 40'+ below full pool.  I'd wait until you had more water in the lake to make a run down there.  

Falcon, while great fishing, is more South Texas than West Texas. 

Falcon Reservoir : Lake Amistad :: Lake Mathis : Lake Travis

• Hook 'Em 2

well it's official.  by the end of February my oldest son and I will have our basic sailing certification.   We learn on a 2016 Beneteau First 22 I think (pic below).  We will get our cruising certification either right after or we may roll that to 2022.  I think summer of 2022 we are in the islands on our own but we will see. one step at a time baby, one step at a time.

2016 22 (learner)

spacer.png

By March I'll be clear to sail the club's 2016 Beneteau 35 and 2007 373 (pics below) on my own after private instruction on both.  joined the club yesterday and ready to get this party started...

2016 35 (oh yeah - btw the interior on this is choice)

spacer.png

2007 373 (like a boss)

spacer.png

current thinking is sail in March, April and May when the air temp is nice, the sun is out but the water is cold(er) and it's windy, surf in the summer when the water is warm and the evenings are long.  now there are THREE seasons in our household... sailing season, surfing season and fire season.  #bestlifebitches #sonofasonofasailor #waitaminute #piratelooksat40 #parrothead #hashtagcrazy #sorrynotsorry

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

It's a great lake.  Absolutely gorgeous.  As long as you stay on the east side.  The Devils River arm that @CHIEF referred to is legit.  Huge bluffs and flowing springs when the water table is up.  Watch the lake level, though.  Currently at 63% of capacity.  So, 40'+ below full pool.  I'd wait until you had more water in the lake to make a run down there.  

Falcon, while great fishing, is more South Texas than West Texas. 

Falcon Reservoir : Lake Amistad :: Lake Mathis : Lake Travis

What’s your analogy - I don’t get Mathis to LT - I mean I have ideas but what do you mean? Flat vs cliffs? 

43 minutes ago, troph said:

Supposed to be cold next weekend, lol.  I’m going to be not well liked nor loved while we are taking lessons. Guess what, don’t care. 

Best way to get a feel for sailing

Put on all your foul weather gear, turn your shower on full blast cold and have your partner bring the garden hose into your bathroom. Then stand in the shower while your partner sprays you with the hose. For an even more real experience, crumple up $100 dollar bills and flush them down the toilet while you're at it.

And it's not even hyperbole. You will find yourself in the most miserable conditions wondering what on earth you were thinking getting into this sport, but never be able to not do it.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, G650 said:

And it's not even hyperbole. You will find yourself in the most miserable conditions wondering what on earth you were thinking getting into this sport, but never be able to not do it.

Before I die I’ll have sailed something spectacular in spectacular places, I’ll have caught a marlin on my own hatty and I’ll cruise the ICW from here to miami then over to the Bahamas in a motor yacht.  And on my days off I’ll surf behind my wake surf boat. My boat obesssion is only getting started my friend.  I’ll die broke with the best memories anyone could hope for.  The goal is set - now its time to get going.  Money will be no object that’s what ill advised loans and working forever are for.

Edited by troph

Just now, troph said:

Before I die I’ll have sailed something spectacular in spectacular places, I’ll have caught a marlin on my own hatty and I’ll cruise the ICW from here to miami then over to the Bahamas.  My boat obesssion is only getting started my friend.  I’ll die broke with the best memories anyone could hope for.  The goal is set - now its time to get going.  Money will be no object that’s what ill advised loans and working forever are for.

I hope you do, truly. Nothing will replace experiences at sea. Can't really describe, people just have to go through it. Kind of like parenthood.

Don't hesitate to ever ask any questions, can PM or email, I'm happy to help anyway I can.

• Like 1

Probably will eventually.  Sleeping on that boat a few weeks ago was a game changer - my girlfriend has a tendency for nausea but has never gotten fully sick but she was afraid sleeping down below would be an issue. It wasn’t.  So game on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, G650 said:

And have the partner call you "Mayonaisse" whilst spraying.

Oh, don't forget to fuck Deborah Winger afterwards.

an-officer-and-a-gentleman-louis-gossett-richard-gere-1982-c-paramountcourtesy-HCXCDB.jpg

3 hours ago, troph said:

my girlfriend has a tendency for nausea but has never gotten fully sick but she was afraid sleeping down below would be an issue. It wasn’t.  So game on. 

The gulf is terrible for that. I know that’s where y’all were, but it’s just a big washing machine.  Pretty much anywhere else is better in that regard.  It also helped being on a 50’+.   Ive always been able to sleep in salons in the gulf but I find the fore staterooms...not doable. Midship ok-ish.  And I’m not a seasick guy (have spent literal years offshore in GOM) 

50 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

The gulf is terrible for that. I know that’s where y’all were, but it’s just a big washing machine.  Pretty much anywhere else is better in that regard.  It also helped being on a 50’+.   Ive always been able to sleep in salons in the gulf but I find the fore staterooms...not doable. Midship ok-ish.  And I’m not a seasick guy (have spent literal years offshore in GOM) 

I think if I end up with an off shore boat I’ll make this a priority - for the lady friend and all.

https://www.seakeeper.com/seakeeper_products/seakeeper-9/

and we were actually sleeping at the marina. I told her it would be no issue and she was still worried. She did say anytime someone got up she felt the boat rock.  I think all I really want is sleep in the marina and get where we need to go in a day trip. So that works for me. 

saw MJ had the sea keeper on his posh large Viking, Catch 23. They just won a marlin tourney last week I think. 

1 hour ago, troph said:

I think if I end up with an off shore boat I’ll make this a priority - for the lady friend and all.

https://www.seakeeper.com/seakeeper_products/seakeeper-9/

and we were actually sleeping at the marina. I told her it would be no issue and she was still worried. She did say anytime someone got up she felt the boat rock.  I think all I really want is sleep in the marina and get where we need to go in a day trip. So that works for me. 

saw MJ had the sea keeper on his posh large Viking, Catch 23. They just won a marlin tourney last week I think. 

You gonna run the sea keeper while you are docked?  I follow this thread because a boat is on my radar if we make a move we want to make, and I am certainly not an expert, but I thought those were for stability while in motion.  I used to worry about the sea sickness stuff, because I’m prone to that sort of thing, but after getting caught up in a bad storm while 10 miles offshore in a small boat, I’m good now.  I survived a bad thing and haven’t had a problem since.

No not when docked but when on the water. I can handle choppy seas and rolling swells over 6 feet pretty easily. But why? Especially when something like this is out there. And my girlfriend is not as lucky so this would almost all be for her while we are moving. I’m probably 3-4 years away from buying so for now it’s just a nice distraction.

@trophStart studying now on what works with the seakeeper. My understanding is not all hulls retrofit well.  THT has discussions on it pretty regularly. Also, don’t let yourself get stuck on a Hatt. Great boats we all know, but plenty of others out there like Post for example, that you can get in more affordably. Even some of the old customs get somewhat affordable, surprisingly.  They all have their little quirks, like older Vikings having shit for gel/paint, eras of different less than desirable motors, etc.   Unless you are seriously hitting the tournaments, there are lots of old gals you can fish off of.  Haven’t seen him post in a bit but @justhookit would be a great mind to pick. 

At the dock it’s epic sleep. I meant trying to sleep while in the gulf.  But the salon couch on my buddies Bertram I can sleep for hours and hours.  In the Vberth, I want to die. One of his buddies had a 60’ hatt he’d take us out on that offered better sleep. But that thing was a tank. 

I used to get the best damn sleep of my life when I was working offshore.  10x10 room, 20’ underwater with AC set at 60*.   Man what I would give to be able to do that for about a month every year.  

On 2/4/2021 at 7:30 AM, troph said:

well it's official.  by the end of February my oldest son and I will have our basic sailing certification.   We learn on a 2016 Beneteau First 22 I think (pic below).  We will get our cruising certification either right after or we may roll that to 2022.  I think summer of 2022 we are in the islands on our own but we will see. one step at a time baby, one step at a time.

2016 22 (learner)

spacer.png

By March I'll be clear to sail the club's 2016 Beneteau 35 and 2007 373 (pics below) on my own after private instruction on both.  joined the club yesterday and ready to get this party started...

spacer.png

2007 373 (like a boss)

spacer.png

current thinking is sail in March, April and May when the air temp is nice, the sun is out but the water is cold(er) and it's windy, surf in the summer when the water is warm and the evenings are long.  now there are THREE seasons in our household... sailing season, surfing season and fire season.  #bestlifebitches #sonofasonofasailor #waitaminute #piratelooksat40 #parrothead #hashtagcrazy #sorrynotsorry

Oh hell yeah.  And @G650 can get you skidding that first like nobody’s business.  They are nice racing boats.  I had my eye on a Beneteau 423 but my fam has basically faded out on sailing (they’ll do it, but with almost no enthusiasm), so I’ll stick with the Catalina 36 and do a lot of it myself.  But go at it.  You’ll like the sailing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, G650 said:

This is truth. I’ve cursed myself in some miserable conditions, wondering why the f I choose to do this.  But they are also my fondest memories.  Because they are my most visceral experiences.  Tangling with Mother Nature, but always respecting her superiority, is my favorite pastime.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

@trophStart studying now on what works with the seakeeper. My understanding is not all hulls retrofit well.  THT has discussions on it pretty regularly. Also, don’t let yourself get stuck on a Hatt. Great boats we all know, but plenty of others out there like Post for example, that you can get in more affordably. Even some of the old customs get somewhat affordable, surprisingly.  They all have their little quirks, like older Vikings having shit for gel/paint, eras of different less than desirable motors, etc.   Unless you are seriously hitting the tournaments, there are lots of old gals you can fish off of.  Haven’t seen him post in a bit but @justhookit would be a great mind to pick. 

At the dock it’s epic sleep. I meant trying to sleep while in the gulf.  But the salon couch on my buddies Bertram I can sleep for hours and hours.  In the Vberth, I want to die. One of his buddies had a 60’ hatt he’d take us out on that offered better sleep. But that thing was a tank. 

I used to get the best damn sleep of my life when I was working offshore.  10x10 room, 20’ underwater with AC set at 60*.   Man what I would give to be able to do that for about a month every year.  

I’ll be spending the next 2-3 years on various boats for sure trying them out. I really like the Vikings too since you mentioned it.  The Hatteras beam allowing for larger bed in the master at a smaller overall boat size is the major appeal.  The Hatteras 60 motor yacht layout is just unreal in terms of room. It’s also $2mil gently used, good lord.  But that 50 spots fishing yacht is $500-700k. I’ll have to decide fishing versus motor yacht and I’ll look at just about anything.  I’ve done deep dives on at least Viking, Hatteras, Azimut, Carver (Landomatic to thank for that). I’ll probably jump on thehulltruth soon, I generally avoid camping out at other message boards for whatever reason but that’s a good one (comes up in google searches all the time).

I’m not too keen on going too old because of the likely need to retrofit electronics, really want the joystick controls for docking (she’s qualified you know), sea keeper and frankly don’t want to have to redo every interior design surface (which I would). 

The other factor - I’m not sure I want to have to hire a crew.  Newer, smaller and just a motor yacht vs needing a fishing captain will all play into the decision. South Florida fishing charters are relatively cheap, and a living on a late model 50 foot MY in a miami marina for 2-3 months sounds fantastic.

justhookit and I and our womenfolk shot the shit down in Port A a while back, I’m positive we will talk.

Jesus I have a problem - sailing and fishing/motor yachting at the same time.  Can someone give me winning lotto numbers please?

Edited by troph

7 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Oh hell yeah.  And @G650 can get you skidding that first like nobody’s business.  They are nice racing boats.  I had my eye on a Beneteau 423 but my fam has basically faded out on sailing (they’ll do it, but with almost no enthusiasm), so I’ll stick with the Catalina 36 and do a lot of it myself.  But go at it.  You’ll like the sailing. 

I know the talk is MYs but I’m super excited about it. I’m pretty much all in for boating of all kinds as a rec sport as I get older.  I may not own a sailboat as long as I have access and this club looks really promising.  I seen no reason why I can’t do both tbqh. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, troph said:

@Landomatic wasn’t yesterday the big day? After sexy time with your lady you were supposed to post pics..., of the boat.  So where are they...?!?

Haha no.  It leaves Michigan this coming Monday and is supposed to be here Wednesday the 10th.  It's wrapped and winterized plus it's supposed to get down to like 20 degrees here next week, so no telling when I'll actually be able to get on it.

fuck me the rabbit hole is deep, Alice in Wonderland type deep.  anyway, cruising the threads on one of the boating forums found this gem:

There really is only one good excuse for living aboard a boat, and that's an addiction to boats and salt air.

really could just say owning a boat, but this was in the context of a newly divorced guy in LA wanting to ditch the apartment for a 45 foot live aboard.  I found the statement worthy of sharing.

24 minutes ago, troph said:

fuck me the rabbit hole is deep, Alice in Wonderland type deep.  anyway, cruising the threads on one of the boating forums found this gem:

really could just say owning a boat, but this was in the context of a newly divorced guy in LA wanting to ditch the apartment for a 45 foot live aboard.  I found the statement worthy of sharing.

Was living in an apartment in Austin as a newly wed. and a completely refurbished 65" Gibson houseboat came on the market. The owner had basically built it into a studio apartment. Full sized appliances, king size bed, even the slip was rented out long term. Tried to get Mrs. CHIEF to bite, but to no avail. Would probably still be living on that fucker to this day.

CHIEF

On 2/4/2021 at 9:30 AM, troph said:

2016 22 (learner)

spacer.png

spacer.png

2007 373 (like a boss)

spacer.png

Parents had 44’ beneteau growing up around 1995-2005 time frame. Great boat. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Was living in an apartment in Austin as a newly wed. and a completely refurbished 65" Gibson houseboat came on the market. The owner had basically built it into a studio apartment. Full sized appliances, king size bed, even the slip was rented out long term. Tried to get Mrs. CHIEF to bite, but to no avail. Would probably still be living on that fucker to this day.

CHIEF

you mighta married the wrong gal.  don't worry we all do it.

13 minutes ago, troph said:

you mighta married the wrong gal.  don't worry we all do it.

It was docked at Lake Travis Marina in 160' of water. We had just had an ice storm, and, at the time she wasn't a good swimmer. All she could think about was slipping on ice into the water. The timing was off.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Lake Travis Marina is in 160 foot water?

Surprised I am.

I'm not sure where that marina is exactly but my depth finder reads 185 cruising close to the cliff near arkansas bend / hudson bend often.  well, at least when I go that route.  I see 150+ around Thurman Bend approaching Lago Vista all the time.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Lake Travis Marina is in 160 foot water?

Surprised I am.

Yes, Travis is extremely deep. I have found 300' depths in the main basin directly below The Oasis. It's still over 100' all the way up where the Pedernales empties in, that's 40 miles upstream from the dam.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
mileage
  • Hook 'Em 1

I knew Travis had some impressive depths, I was just surprised that the marina was at that depth.  I woulda figured maybe 40-60 feet down max and that's probably just because my scope of context is mainly Lake Austin and Canyon Lake.  After spending probably the first half of my boat ownership life out on Lake Austin, everything else seems amazingly deep to me.

Except maybe LBJ.  Fuck that prop bending mf'er!  Put two of Nettle's kids through college with my excursions over there.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cajun said:

I knew Travis had some impressive depths, I was just surprised that the marina was at that depth.  I woulda figured maybe 40-60 feet down max and that's probably just because my scope of context is mainly Lake Austin and Canyon Lake.  After spending probably the first half of my boat ownership life out on Lake Austin, everything else seems amazingly deep to me.

Except maybe LBJ.  Fuck that prop bending mf'er!  Put two of Nettle's kids through college with my excursions over there.

That MF'er probably rebuilt the prop at least 3 times for a boat myself, BT, and another buddy owned together. The last one at his home shop. He welded up the bungs on the headers on the 96 Firebird I gave CHIEF Jr. that is sitting in the garage. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

I had no idea who he was, but after running my Nautique for a weekend at LBJ my prop looked like someone tied 3 tortillas to a ceiling fan.  Called my cousin over at Boat Town and he sent me to Nettle's.

The rest is history, but fuuuuuuuck that's a good little business.  

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I had no idea who he was, but after running my Nautique for a weekend at LBJ my prop looked like someone tied 3 tortillas to a ceiling fan.  Called my cousin over at Boat Town and he sent me to Nettle's.

The rest is history, but fuuuuuuuck that's a good little business.  

Yep, but there is a lot of work that goes into the repair, on stainless props. The first time we bent a prop blade, I asked him to heat it up and bend it back. Nope, they cut the blade off and start from scratch, and they all get a new insert, spun or not. He always did this for less than $200, and it looked brand new, like it just came from the factory. I bet he had 2-3 hours of work into it.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Yep, but there is a lot of work that goes into the repair, on stainless props. The first time we bent a prop blade, I asked him to heat it up and bend it back. Nope, they cut the blade off and start from scratch, and they all get a new insert, spun or not. He always did this for less than $200, and it looked brand new, like it just came from the factory. I bet he had 2-3 hours of work into it.

CHIEF

That’s great to hear. Both Baumann and Hood have both fucked up my props, even as well regarded as they come.  The last one irritates me just thinking about it right now.  Hood fucked up a brand new (0.000 hour) Bravo 1. I was having him cut down the barrel and I swear I could have done a better job with an angle grinder.  The $1500 prop that never was fml. 

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Yep, Nettle's costs me $200 every time, but when I get 'em back they all look new from the factory and perform the same.

About what Baumann charged me.  It was worse than I took it in but it was a spare at that point so didn't feel like putting up with that ornery fucking aggy.   I lost a WHOLE lot more $$$$ with Hood.  Basically a 1k prop, then several hundred more to ruin it, then a few more hundred to try and recover something to usable, to a fucking garden ornament.   Throughout the process though, I found a magician of a prop guy in...Iowa.  But man that was a crappy few lessons.  Chasing that last 1-2 mph is a fool's errand. 

9 hours ago, Cajun said:

Yep, Nettle's costs me $200 every time, but when I get 'em back they all look new from the factory and perform the same.

I just got one done there in December. I think it was 350 (ACME Prop). I have a spare prop I need to take in so I have a back up ready to go (boat at the above mentioned, Lake LBJ) 

On 2/6/2021 at 12:43 AM, fattyflattie said:

Man, worst summer I ever spent working offshore was when we crew changed on work boats.  Always just enough sea to make the trip rough.  Interior of the boat filled up with cigarette smoke and invariably some half-drunk/hungover asshole would end up puking.  I put a life jacket on and sat out on the deck after the first trip out to the rig.

1 minute ago, baboso said:

Man, worst summer I ever spent working offshore was when we crew changed on work boats.  Always just enough sea to make the trip rough.  Interior of the boat filled up with cigarette smoke and invariably some half-drunk/hungover asshole would end up puking.  I put a life jacket on and sat out on the deck after the first trip out to the rig.

That was sop for my time there.  The only time we took a bird was later when I was doing management/estimating site visits.  I never minded it unless it was over 6’, which was rare.  I could sleep so well on those things with that diesel hum.  I’m a sleepy guy I guess.   Red Eagle was the only one I remember that they’d let you smoke inside. It looked like a dive bar that hadn’t been touched in 30 years inside. 

16 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

About what Baumann charged me.  It was worse than I took it in but it was a spare at that point so didn't feel like putting up with that ornery fucking aggy.   I lost a WHOLE lot more $$$$ with Hood.  Basically a 1k prop, then several hundred more to ruin it, then a few more hundred to try and recover something to usable, to a fucking garden ornament.   Throughout the process though, I found a magician of a prop guy in...Iowa.  But man that was a crappy few lessons.  Chasing that last 1-2 mph is a fool's errand. 

I just call Marcus at Powertech, tell him exactly what I have and what I want it to do, and he sends me the right prop.