The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Thanks.  Yeah supposedly Carver got a pretty major corporate overhaul a few years back...new CEO and all that.  Their new stuff is pretty badass.

https://www.carveryachts.com/the-yacht-collection/models/

I'm supposed to be working tonight and it's nearly 11pm.  work not done but I've watched every video and scrolled through all the pics.  well done man, stoked for you.  the style of those boats really is something.  very well designed.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, troph said:

sick ass boat man. congrats!

9 hours ago, troph said:

I'm supposed to be working tonight and it's nearly 11pm.  work not done but I've watched every video and scrolled through all the pics.

Thanks troph.  And sorry not sorry about the rabbit hole I sent you down Lol.  I'd feel bad for you, but I can't count the number of hours I've spent in the last few months doing the same.  So I can only empathize.

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

Thanks troph.  And sorry not sorry about the rabbit hole I sent you down Lol.  I'd feel bad for you, but I can't count the number of hours I've spent in the last few months doing the same.  So I can only empathize.

don't feel bad at all.  I love looking at that stuff.  boattrader is my home away from the surl.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, troph said:

well done man, stoked for you.  the style of those boats really is something.  very well designed.

8 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Seems very roomy for a 34’ boat.  I would’ve guessed closer to 40’ based on the pics.

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Same here.  That's a surprisingly well laid-out rig.

Thanks all.  Yeah, that's why we ultimately landed on it.  There's not another boat on the market in that size range that's laid out that way to give you that big boat, yacht feel.  As I mentioned, we were somewhat limited with wanting to keep our existing slip, and the other obvious options (SeaRay 350, Cruisers 35 Express, etc) were just nowhere near the boat this one is, so we kept coming back to it.

It just felt like the perfect allocation of space for the way we boat (full master suite below deck, enclosed salon and galley up, sunpads on the cockpit and bow).  I kept seeing it referred to as "the ultimate couple's boat" which I think it definitely is.  I wouldn't get it if we had a bunch of kids, but for just the two of us, or with 1-2 other couples (or a handful of strippers), it should be perfect.  The layout, paired with the fit and finish and styling of the newer Carvers was just impossible to beat.  It really does feel like a small yacht.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

It just felt like the perfect allocation of space for the way we boat (full master suite below deck, enclosed salon and galley up, sunpads on the cockpit and bow).  I kept seeing it referred to as "the ultimate couple's boat" which I think it definitely is.  I wouldn't get it if we had a bunch of kids, but for just the two of us, or with 1-2 other couples (or *AND* a handful of strippers), it should be perfect.  The layout, paired with the fit and finish and styling of the newer Carvers was just impossible to beat.  It really does feel like a small yacht.

Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

Edited by troph
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I wouldn't get it if we had a bunch of kids, but for just the two of us, or with 1-2 other couples (or a handful of strippers), it should be perfect. 

There has been a lot of good options in that market the past ten years or so. I think people realize a lot of couples look for a cozy getaway type boat that can have friends pop in every now and then.

My old man got an MJM 40 a few years back he and my mom cruise down to Florida every winter. They have a great time. They do say it is good with another guest or two for a night or so, but it gets cramped after that. But for a couple it's right on.

21 minutes ago, G650 said:

There has been a lot of good options in that market the past ten years or so. I think people realize a lot of couples look for a cozy getaway type boat that can have friends pop in every now and then.

My old man got an MJM 40 a few years back he and my mom cruise down to Florida every winter. They have a great time. They do say it is good with another guest or two for a night or so, but it gets cramped after that. But for a couple it's right on.

They captain it themselves? I would be terrified to do that on the open ocean. Too many things can go wrong: engine failure, weather, fire, run aground, pirates, psychotic cameraman in need of rescue...

5 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

They captain it themselves? I would be terrified to do that on the open ocean. Too many things can go wrong: engine failure, weather, fire, run aground, pirates, psychotic cameraman in need of rescue...

I don’t know where G650’s parents are located, but the Intracoastal Waterway solves most of the problems you mention.

3 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

They captain it themselves?

I couldn't even speculate at how many sea miles he has. Quarter million at least, with tons of transoceanic. I haven't logged miles since I surrendered my captain's license, but I've covered somewhere in the vicinity of 125k myself and I'm 30 years younger.

I don't know if you know what the Worrell 1000 is/was, but he did three of them back when it was straight through from Ft. Lauderdale to Virginia Beach, no overnight stops, in Hobie 16 catamarans.

froome.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I don’t know where G650’s parents are located, but the Intracoastal Waterway solves most of the problems you mention.

Yeah, and that. They usually pop out when it's nice then duck in when it's shit.

They live about a mile away from me here in VB fwiw.

I might be dumb and naïve but I would have no problem boating from miami to the Bahamas and back.  Not sure how far it is from there to the Caribbean islands but I’d do that too, but then I rent a car and drive through Mexico too.  As long as you make it out alive without losing too much money with a story it’s a net positive.

Edited by troph

2 minutes ago, troph said:

I might be dumb and naïve but I would have no problem boating from miami to the Bahamas and back.  Not sure how far it is from there to the Caribbean islands but I’d do that too, but then I rent a car and drive through Mexico too.  As long as you make it out alive without losing too much money with a story it’s a net positive.

It's only 60 miles from Miami to Bimini. As long as you understand how the weather affects the Gulfstream then it's pretty straight forward. People run it in small center consoles all the time.

Going from the Bahamas to the Caribbean is a bit more. You need to know weather patterns. If you try and go straight over into the Trades, you have an above average chance of sinking. Most people who leave from the north go all the way out to Bermuda, then south. The ocean is very unforgiving, losing money is not the worry, it's losing your life. The area around the Bahamas and Caribbean is littered with ghosts of cruisers who got in way over their head.

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

It's only 60 miles from Miami to Bimini. As long as you understand how the weather affects the Gulfstream then it's pretty straight forward. People run it in small center consoles all the time.

Going from the Bahamas to the Caribbean is a bit more. You need to know weather patterns. If you try and go straight over into the Trades, you have an above average chance of sinking. Most people who leave from the north go all the way out to Bermuda, then south. The ocean is very unforgiving, losing money is not the worry, it's losing your life. The area around the Bahamas and Caribbean is littered with ghosts of cruisers who got in way over their head.

I would not go uneducated or untrained. I was talking about pirates and drug dealers. After all cannons don’t thunder there’s nothing to plunder and I’m an over forty victim of fate. 

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I think people realize a lot of couples look for a cozy getaway type boat that can have friends pop in every now and then.

I hope you're right.  That was definitely one hesitancy I had about it...that it is such a unique setup that there won't be any demand for it once I go to resell it.  Will other people want a boat that size with that type of layout?  I mean, we think it's cool, but hopefully others will too.  It's too new (came out in 2018) to really have a feel in the market.  And as mentioned, it is the only one like it (at least to my knowledge) so it's technically in a class of its own, which can be good or bad.  I guess we'll find out at some point.

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

it is the only one like it (at least to my knowledge) so it's technically in a class of its own,

Oh, there's plenty the fill the same niche. You are talking more about form over function. I wouldn't be concerned other than the usual production boat depreciation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I hope you're right.  That was definitely one hesitancy I had about it...that it is such a unique setup that there won't be any demand for it once I go to resell it.  Will other people want a boat that size with that type of layout?  I mean, we think it's cool, but hopefully others will too.  It's too new (came out in 2018) to really have a feel in the market.  And as mentioned, it is the only one like it (at least to my knowledge) so it's technically in a class of its own, which can be good or bad.  I guess we'll find out at some point.

I wouldn’t worry about it. I think it’s great, an airstream or high end 35 foot motor home on water. And there is plenty of appeal for that. No not families but young couples with means and retirees yes.

I did a deep dive on all their boats the coupes and command bridges and they all have two things in common, exquisite design and nice finishes. Their boats have full clearance even for tall people!  Someone over there did a hell of a job really starting over on design. It’s fresh, not stale and very well appointed.  

technical packages look good too from the engine to equipment options.

I’d buy it, use it, love it, sell it for what you can get when you’re done and ready for that 40 foot command bridge option. 🙂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, troph said:

I wouldn’t worry about it. I think it’s great, an airstream or high end 35 foot motor home on water. And there is plenty of appeal for that. No not families but young couples with means and retirees yes.

I did a deep dive on all their boats the coupes and command bridges and they all have two things in common, exquisite design and nice finishes. Their boats have full clearance even for tall people!  Someone over there did a hell of a job really starting over on design. It’s fresh, not stale and very well appointed.  

technical packages look good too from the engine to equipment options.

I’d buy it, use it, love it, sell it for what you can get when you’re done and ready for that 40 foot command bridge option. 🙂

I'll take the 52 while we're dreaming.  That master suite with the separate entrance is spectacular.  One of the cooler boats I saw in all of my research.

3 hours ago, G650 said:

I couldn't even speculate at how many sea miles he has. Quarter million at least, with tons of transoceanic. I haven't logged miles since I surrendered my captain's license, but I've covered somewhere in the vicinity of 125k myself and I'm 30 years younger.

I don't know if you know what the Worrell 1000 is/was, but he did three of them back when it was straight through from Ft. Lauderdale to Virginia Beach, no overnight stops, in Hobie 16 catamarans.

froome.jpg

Yeah, that’s cool and nuts at the same time.

3 hours ago, G650 said:

See, this is what I’m talking about.

How do those weirdos do it that go out on their sailboats alone and detach from society? Like that mummy they found adrift in his sail boat that hadn’t been seen in years?

8 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I'll take the 52 while we're dreaming.  That master suite with the separate entrance is spectacular.  One of the cooler boats I saw in all of my research.

Just spent 20 minutes checking out your boat on the manufacturer’s site.  That is all kinds of kick ass.

• Like 1

So I came down to do some boat projects.  One of which is stalling these easy peel n stick backsplash tiles behind the head sink.  Then was thinking need to rune diesel (under load to get the engine temp up), and saw a bunch of boats going out and coming in.  Decided to head out, and again, for all the Cali haters, there’s a reason I put up with all of the BS.  Because it doesn’t get better than this.  Late January.

4365A468-081A-4950-948D-A786BBDACAF4.jpeg

E84B4AB2-5A50-4762-A481-82413947CAE2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Anyone else get out on the water this fine weekend?

49f79dd9d0244da09263bf8ebe2c73fa.jpeg

5df4fe34b2733c274495a01b0ee62bce.jpg
108c2df505f84bd869721b573b074d31.jpg

BTW, for the convo up a page or two, Centurion’s have 5 ballasts, 2 of which are ram fill and other three are pump. There’s an option for a bow bag and on some models, a transom bag, that are pump as well. So if for some reason you don’t want to use the ram for wakeboarding, you don’t have to. Although they’re all easily adjustable, so I don’t know why you wouldn’t use the ram. I’ve only surfed behind mine so far, but the wave on this boat is so highly adjustable that I seriously doubt it isn’t just as great for wakeboarding as it is for surfing.

And no, Centurion and Sante’s are not made in the same factory. Their factories are on opposite sides of the country (CA/FL). However, as of 2015, Centurion is majority-owned by the same parent company as Sante, Correct Craft. Since that purchase, Centurion has seen a number of improvements. It is not any cheaper than Sante, unless you’re counting gph where it’s roughly 50% more efficient. Although I’m just a beginner and not yet a wave snob, I think my friend’s G23 makes just as nice a wave as my Ri237, but whenever people are debating the best surf wave, Centurion is usually at the top of the majority’s list.

As for winterizing, as of 2020, PCM has made it so damn easy there‘s no reason to not:

4b3e636372dc7b8a3ccfd9c27c02f01c.jpg

Pull those three hoses, drop them in the hull, and done. (Already pulled in this pic.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Stopped my boat trader obsession and now I’ve been down in a rabbit hole for the last few days watching videos of the ICW and folks crossing the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas and even watching real time weather patterns. Total geek out session.  Anyway, found this article on the disrepair of the ICW. Sad. 

https://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Intracoastal-Waterway-‘Now-Dangerous/-24004?source=google

in other news we are driving to south Florida for spring break. From this thread, friends that just moved there, to our time on that Hatty, to watching Bloodlines, you name it that’s why we are headed down.  Will social distance and hang out alone or outside.  Hoping for serious eye candy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, troph said:

Stopped my boat trader obsession and now I’ve been down in a rabbit hole for the last few days watching videos of the ICW and folks crossing the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas and even watching real time weather patterns. Total geek out session.  Anyway, found this article on the disrepair of the ICW. Sad. 

https://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Intracoastal-Waterway-‘Now-Dangerous/-24004?source=google

in other news we are driving to south Florida for spring break. From this thread, friends that just moved there, to our time on that Hatty, to watching Bloodlines, you name it that’s why we are headed down.  Will social distance and hang out alone or outside.  Hoping for serious eye candy. 

West Coast? East Coast? The Keys? So many great things to do no matter which area, but I’m partial to the West Coast. We spend 3 or so months a year down there around the kids school schedule. I’ve debated moving my practice full time, but we’re going to let the kids finish high school before doing anything. 

The ICW through FL (at least the parts we use) are in pretty good shape. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/30/2021 at 7:50 PM, Sbbruin said:

Decided to head out, and again, for all the Cali haters, there’s a reason I put up with all of the BS.  Because it doesn’t get better than this.  Late January

California's great.  it's just full of Californians. 😉

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Brew said:

West Coast? East Coast? The Keys? So many great things to do no matter which area, but I’m partial to the West Coast. We spend 3 or so months a year down there around the kids school schedule. I’ve debated moving my practice full time, but we’re going to let the kids finish high school before doing anything. 

The ICW through FL (at least the parts we use) are in pretty good shape. 

south beach. Been once before as an invited guest. Looking forward to it again.  If we were flying we would drive to the keys but we will already be at at least 4 days driving total maybe longer.  Maybe ill advised driving that far from Austin but we’ve had it with no longer distant travels so we are doing it. 

the rabbit hole though is about going by boat through the ICW along the gulf to miami and spending the winters living on a boat and maybe migrating up the ICW and exploring most of south Florida and the keys. That article talked about the ICW being in good shape in Florida.  Would be great to bounce around Florida in a 50 footer. Would be epic to do the loop but it sounds like that might not be ideal. 

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, troph said:

south beach. Been once before as an invited guest. Looking forward to it again.  If we were flying we would drive to the keys but we will already be at at least 4 days driving total maybe longer.  Maybe ill advised driving that far from Austin but we’ve had it with no longer distant travels so we are doing it. 

the rabbit hole though is about going by boat through the ICW along the gulf to miami and spending the winters living on a boat and maybe migrating up the ICW and exploring most of south Florida and the keys. That article talked about the ICW being in good shape in Florida.  Would be great to bounce around Florida in a 50 footer. Would be epic to do the loop but it sounds like that might not be ideal. 

We make the 15 hour drive from TN to SWFL and then back at least a dozen times a year (3 round trips in the last 3 months). You just get in the car and go.

Still plenty of people doing the loop. There are several threads on thehulltruth following people that have done it. It’s on my bucket list, but I may go with the island runs from Miami instead.

56 minutes ago, Brew said:

We make the 15 hour drive from TN to SWFL and then back at least a dozen times a year (3 round trips in the last 3 months). You just get in the car and go.

Still plenty of people doing the loop. There are several threads on thehulltruth following people that have done it. It’s on my bucket list, but I may go with the island runs from Miami instead.

15 hours is Austin to western CO, that’s two days easy driving.  Another half day at least I’d think from ATX. We’ll do it, like it, and find it insane all at the same time. But hey, that’s why God made the indigo girls ... get out the map!

Island runs ? 

8 hours ago, troph said:

When are you going? I'll be there in a few weeks for the Miami to Eleuthera race

Florida is great cruising but for another 100 miles away you have epic cruising grounds in the Bahamas. A 50 Hatty there would be epic. Load it up with water toys.

Only caveat is that Jan and most of Feb is kind of shitty with all of the cold fronts. March and beyond are glorious.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Viking said:

Florida is great cruising but for another 100 miles away you have epic cruising grounds in the Bahamas. A 50 Hatty there would be epic. Load it up with water toys.

Only caveat is that Jan and most of Feb is kind of shitty with all of the cold fronts. March and beyond are glorious.

That’s kinda the thought and why I was watching videos of folks crossing the gulf stream.  A less demanding career (i.e. semi retirement) is no longer an aspiration but appears within reach in the next 5 years. Could mean lots more downtime  and so we need to figure out what we want to do, a boating life in south Florida with the Bahamas right there is high on our list.  So is summers in Colorado. Gotta figure out which is preferred.  On the boating front we have to figure out sail boat, sport fishing yacht or a motor yacht, in each case we would likely live on it for 2-3 week stretches then head home. Cruising to the Bahamas would take that amount of time out longer too.  San Diego/Southern CA is a distant third to South Florida/Colorado. 

Edited by troph

19 hours ago, troph said:

Island runs ? 

Bahamas, we’ve talked about keeping a boat on the East Coast to travel from, but I’m looking for a house now where we are with deeper water access to hopefully just keep it at home. We’ll just make the trip through the Keys when we want to go. My wife is not too keen on this whole plan, so I may need to find a new wife also in this process.

11 hours ago, troph said:

That’s kinda the thought and why I was watching videos of folks crossing the gulf stream.  A less demanding career (i.e. semi retirement) is no longer an aspiration but appears within reach in the next 5 years. Could mean lots more downtime  and so we need to figure out what we want to do, a boating life in south Florida with the Bahamas right there is high on our list.  So is summers in Colorado. Gotta figure out which is preferred.  On the boating front we have to figure out sail boat, sport fishing yacht or a motor yacht, in each case we would likely live on it for 2-3 week stretches then head home. Cruising to the Bahamas would take that amount of time out longer too.  San Diego/Southern CA is a distant third to South Florida/Colorado. 

Simple, FL fall, winter, and spring, CO for the summer. I actually like SWFL during the summer. A large percentage of the population has headed back North and the fishing is great. You get used to the heat and to me it’s more manageable than the heat back home. 

13 minutes ago, Brew said:

Simple, FL fall, winter, and spring, CO for the summer. I actually like SWFL during the summer. A large percentage of the population has headed back North and the fishing is great. You get used to the heat and to me it’s more manageable than the heat back home. 

Still have to keep my Texas roots. We are building our house perched over the lake right now, no way I’m giving lake Travis up permanently for anything. 

re islands I figured it was that or the the keys. Your wife needs to get with the program, she won’t find sympathy over here. Neither of us would understand. 

trip is coming together, 20 hour drive though.  Looking at a near shore fishing charter and a yacht harbor charter same week. 

36 minutes ago, troph said:

Isn’t that the lake with some serious drug shit gone wrong on it a few years back? 

It was Falcon, in 2010. But I would imagine the same shit goes on at Amistad. I have two uncles and a cousin that go to Falcon regularly to fish, I told them they were crazy.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mexican-pirates-shot-tourist-head/story?id=11784598

CHIEF

9 hours ago, Cajun said:

Anyone ever boated on Lake Amistad?  I have this unshakable urge to trailer over there and see what’s what.

When I lived in Austin, we had a men's church group that would drag our boats down for a long weekend of fishing. We would rent, and stay on a houseboat up in a cove on the Devil's River. It's a beautiful area, great fishing as well. Huge 500 foot cliffs soaring straight up from the riverbank. We would run as far up as we could go in a tunnel hull. Found a waterfall and spring that came straight out of the side of one of the cliffs, we climbed up and someone had built a rock pool that you could soak in. I really want to go back sometime.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1