Jump to content
Bevo VIII

Truck Nuts

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Don't know anything about what this particular aftermarket turbo would be like, but the twin turbos in my F150 are both small and side-by-side, so they spin up very very quickly.  I don't notice much turbo lag at all.

Now, the '89 Nissan 300ZX Turbo and the '86 Chrysler Laser XT Turbo that I drove in high school-- those had some serious lag. :)

 

I had a laser.   '85 IIRC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im currently in a ‘15 F150 platinum 4WD with 3.5 Ecoboost. Been looking around the internet for a new truck. Was kinda wanting to go Tundra.
So went and drove a 2020 4WD Tundra 1794.
I gotta say I was a little underwhelmed. Felt like the engine would pull down and really slow the truck down if you let off the gas at 45 on frontage rd to 85 on the highway. Like a jake break on a big rig. Was really odd.
Was really loud due to wind/road noise. The engine had lots of power and acceleration except when letting off the gas pedal. Hmmmm
Im gonna go to a different dealership and test drive some other Tundras, maybe was a lemon.
But I do like the look of the new GMC 1500 AT4 Crew cab. Anyone got any experience with one?


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I had a laser.   '85 IIRC

I loved that car.  Its 80%-plastic-radiator was made entirely of JB Weld by the time I was done with it, and I replaced the alternator on it 4 times within about 3 years, but I loved it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My manual tranny went out about 5 days after I bought it.  It doubled the price of the car for me.  But yeah, I liked it.  The talking thing was a real novelty then. 

"your washer fluid is low".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

My manual tranny went out about 5 days after I bought it.  It doubled the price of the car for me.  But yeah, I liked it.  The talking thing was a real novelty then. 

"your washer fluid is low".

Yeah, and the on-board computer that would calculate your gas mileage, miles to empty, time to destination, etc.  That, plus the 6-speaker stereo system with a joystick for setting balance and fade, make it pretty freakin' rad.

 

Edited by utee94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone going to take advantage of 0% financing over 7 years that is all the rage right now.  I know most of y'all high rollers only keep a truck a year or two before trading up, but 0% is 0%.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I traded my wrangler in last fall for a 2019 Ram Rebel due to the fact car seats were having a rough time fitting in the back seat. I really like the 5th gen interiors w/ the 12" screen. Added a pedal commander to get rid of the delay in throttle response. So far it has been a great truck, waiting for the snow to melt in the mountains to take it on some trails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Anyone going to take advantage of 0% financing over 7 years that is all the rage right now.  I know most of y'all high rollers only keep a truck a year or two before trading up, but 0% is 0%.

 

 

Who is offering this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That looks a lot like me waiting for the 2017 f250 inventory to bloat due to financial issues, driving down prices. 
I don’t think I could make a new 250 work even with 0 for 84. Maybe I can ask about a new 19 and see. 
 

edit: but with production shutting down, new ones will likely not drop as supply becomes an issue

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many bro’s that’ll do that $950/84 around here for the prices to drop.  It’s akin to seeing a unicorn when I see an XLT pull up.  I didn’t even know they made y’all anymore. “Limited” my ass, every third truck I see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

It blows my mind that people are willing to finance a vehicle for 7 years.  

RVs and boats being financed for 15-20.  Welcome to the New World. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

It blows my mind that people are willing to finance a vehicle for 7 years.  

It blows mine a pickup can cost 85k, and be less technically reliable than those of 20 years ago...and fwiw I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Too many bro’s that’ll do that $950/84 around here for the prices to drop.  It’s akin to seeing a unicorn when I see an XLT pull up.  I didn’t even know they made y’all anymore. “Limited” my ass, every third truck I see. 

 

whole new economy. prices will drop and 0% will have to happen soon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

 

whole new economy. prices will drop and 0% will have to happen soon 

I guess.  It seems every time it's ripe for me to pick up a cheap 5th wheel or add an SCB to the fleet, some other portion of the economy fires up and instead of welders/engineers/PMs with the cool shit, its X/Y/Z enjoying their new boon.    I remember about 10 years ago all the boat guys saying the crazy prices were due to the glass/resin being a petroleum product, those 120$ barrels just made everything go up 50%, nothing we can do about it yada yada.  Well, it hasn't been that price for awhile, and you aren't shoving off the dock with much for under 60k these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Too many bro’s that’ll do that $950/84 around here for the prices to drop.  It’s akin to seeing a unicorn when I see an XLT pull up.  I didn’t even know they made y’all anymore. “Limited” my ass, every third truck I see. 

Lots of those bros just got laid off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It finally stopped raining so I was able to install my new bed cover. I went with the Bakflip MX4, I really like it. The installation was a breeze.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Sandman said:

It finally stopped raining so I was able to install my new bed cover. I went with the Bakflip MX4, I really like it. The installation was a breeze.

 

I love mine and it looks good, also added this net back and it's worked great of me. held in place by some d clips 

 

61xMEq8WYKL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Edited by tx 3 putt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been looking at Rangers and I've seen some 0 for 84 on '19 Rangers. 

I can't wrap my head around 84 month car financing. Last time I bought a car I did 60 and thought it was long 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, texhorn said:


Nissan? Yeah, no thanks.

Nissan cars with the CVT are crap, but the Frontier is legit -- at least it is for now until the redesign next year.  It's made here in the USA and doesn't have the CVT.  It's basically the same truck since 2005, so any bugs got worked out a long time ago.  The 4.0 V6 is a good engine.    

It's got the turning radius of a school bus, gets mediocre gas mileage,  and the interior is dated to say the least, but the Frontier is reliable and costs thousands of $ less than the competitors.  I had a Suzuki Equator for several years (basically a rebadged Frontier), and it never gave me any problems at all.  I'd probably still be driving it had I not hydroplaned on the 101 and totaled it.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Nissan cars with the CVT are crap, but the Frontier is legit -- at least it is for now until the redesign next year.  It's made here in the USA and doesn't have the CVT.  It's basically the same truck since 2005, so any bugs got worked out a long time ago.  The 4.0 V6 is a good engine.    

Get a 2019 with the 4.0 while they last. For 2020 they are dropping a new 3.8 V6 with the 9-speed from the Titan into it for a year to work out the kinks before the complete Frontier redesign for 2021. So the 2020 Frontier is a powertrain test mule, might be a shitshow.

 

This is pretty cool - they bought a ~30K Frontier and turned it into a legit overlander for under 40K:

https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/features/1912-nissans-destination-frontier-budget-overlander-overland-budget/

 

07-nissan-destination-frontier-canyon-su

nissan-destination-frontier-lead-flex-su

Edited by smuggs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, smuggs said:

Get a 2019 with the 4.0 while they last. For 2020 they are dropping a new 3.8 V6 with the 9-speed from the Titan into it for a year to work out the kinks before the complete Frontier redesign for 2021. So the 2020 Frontier is a powertrain test mule, might be a shitshow.

 

This is pretty cool - they bought a ~30K Frontier and turned it into a legit overlander for under 40K:

https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/features/1912-nissans-destination-frontier-budget-overlander-overland-budget/

 

07-nissan-destination-frontier-canyon-su

nissan-destination-frontier-lead-flex-su

Yep, I had seen that.  And I agree.  If you're going to buy a Frontier, snag the 4.0 V6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reached out to the local ford place. Been waiting for 2017 f250 lariat level trim to hit around 30k or so to buy one, but it’s still not happening here and the financing for f150 is too good not to look at.  Need to figure out what the half ton can actually tow with a max towing pkg to see if it’s better than what I already have though. 
ecoboost and 10 speed and maybe different gearing vs my 302 and 6 speed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I reached out to the local ford place. Been waiting for 2017 f250 lariat level trim to hit around 30k or so to buy one, but it’s still not happening here and the financing for f150 is too good not to look at.  Need to figure out what the half ton can actually tow with a max towing pkg to see if it’s better than what I already have though. 
ecoboost and 10 speed and maybe different gearing vs my 302 and 6 speed. 

I browse quite a bit and you aren’t saving shit on anything with 30k miles. Like 3-4k off a 60k truck type deal. Used trucks, diesels in particular, have been absurd for the last few years.   Hell, there’s quite a few 2 yo KR’s with 90-105k miles for around 12k off new in my last looksy last week.  I’d say these people are insane with those asks, but it’s not uncommon so maybe I’m the one who’s twisted.  
 

*I almost exclusively look at KR’s. Now that there are “hard” and “soft” Lariats, too much to keep track of.   I have a friend who searched for about a year and snagged a ‘17 in mid-‘19 with 40k miles for 40-ish, but it was not a Lariat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d be cool with xlt but I want leather and heated seats, and that appears to be one of the big differentiators from lariat and above to xl and xlt. 
but I think only the xlts are in my price range, especially when the towing pkg is priced in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I reached out to the local ford place. Been waiting for 2017 f250 lariat level trim to hit around 30k or so to buy one, but it’s still not happening here and the financing for f150 is too good not to look at.  Need to figure out what the half ton can actually tow with a max towing pkg to see if it’s better than what I already have though. 
ecoboost and 10 speed and maybe different gearing vs my 302 and 6 speed. 

My 2015 F150 3.5L ecoboost with max towing, tows 11,500.  Not sure how much more or less than that you might need. It's Platinum package so has most of the bells and whistles.  I'm pretty sure newer ones with max tow can do the same, or perhaps even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a 3.5 eco with 6.5' bed max tow 4x4 and it would tow the rating but if you get 10k behind that thing, you will wish you didnt. I would say 8k is about the max I would go if you dont want to white knuckle the entire trip. My new truck is a 250 gasser that is rated basically the same and I towed 10k and it was very manageable. Sure it takes forever to get up to speed, but it sure as shit felt like I was driving the trailer and not the other way around.

Edited by HOOKEM4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I had a 3.5 eco with 6.5' bed max tow 4x4 and it would tow the rating but if you get 10k behind that thing, you will wish you didnt. I would say 8k is about the max I would go if you dont want to white knuckle the entire trip. My new truck is a 250 gasser that is rated basically the same and I towed 10k and it was very manageable. Sure it takes forever to get up to speed, but it sure as shit felt like I was driving the trailer and not the other way around.

I've had 9.5K behind mine with no issues at all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2020 at 11:07 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

0 for 84 and no payment for 6 month now for 2019 f150 I believe 

Saw a local dealership advertising this on Facebook (forget which manufacturer) and there was someone in the comments responding to questions. They told someone that In order to get the 84 0% they had to pay MSRP. If that the case you’re probably better off negotiating 9-10k off list and getting low % financing elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I had a 3.5 eco with 6.5' bed max tow 4x4 and it would tow the rating but if you get 10k behind that thing, you will wish you didnt. I would say 8k is about the max I would go if you dont want to white knuckle the entire trip. My new truck is a 250 gasser that is rated basically the same and I towed 10k and it was very manageable. Sure it takes forever to get up to speed, but it sure as shit felt like I was driving the trailer and not the other way around.

I wouldn’t be pulling near the max. Current camper is around 4k, a larger one would probably be in the 7k range. But there’s grade all around me and I think the 3.55 and lower torque band on the turbo motor would help with that, instead of my 5.0 running at 4500 rpm to maintain 40 mph in 2nd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’d be cool with xlt but I want leather and heated seats, and that appears to be one of the big differentiators from lariat and above to xl and xlt. 
but I think only the xlts are in my price range, especially when the towing pkg is priced in. 

For me, the big difference is the Lariat is the lowest trim that gives you power folding mirrors. I have to have those because I have two separate garage bays and it won't fit in there with the mirrors out. Lariats all have leather, heated/cooling seats, etc. Mine even has the giant moonroof, which I don't often see at that trim. PO really had it tricked out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the '20 F150 and 3.5 Eco without the max tow package.  It hauls my 6000 lb surf boat with no problems.  Can't tell any real difference from the '15 that I had before.  Surprisingly, the '20 gets the same fuel economy as the 15.   Not very good.   13-14 around town and 16ish on the highway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, utee94 said:

I've had 9.5K behind mine with no issues at all.  

My experience is with a stabilized bumper pull RV that is 38' long I believe. For sure it would tow it, but the truck just doesn't have the weight to be 100% in control when there are little quirks in the road or higher winds imo.  I think a smaller profile dump trailer loaded to the gills would tow fine at 10k. I should have qualified that.

I love the eco boost motor and am a huge fan of the performance, it is legit. Certainly not hating on that motor. There is just a point where physics wins and I almost hit that one day. It was too close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wouldn’t be pulling near the max. Current camper is around 4k, a larger one would probably be in the 7k range. But there’s grade all around me and I think the 3.55 and lower torque band on the turbo motor would help with that, instead of my 5.0 running at 4500 rpm to maintain 40 mph in 2nd. 

That motor will eat up hills. I did not explain very clearly what the issue was. Size/profile (twss) not power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Covri said:

Saw a local dealership advertising this on Facebook (forget which manufacturer) and there was someone in the comments responding to questions. They told someone that In order to get the 84 0% they had to pay MSRP. If that the case you’re probably better off negotiating 9-10k off list and getting low % financing elsewhere.

Sorry for the triple post, but this is what I was telling my wife. She wants a new vehicle, even though her expedition has 65k miles and is paid off. To get the same thing she has now, we will be on the hook for 70k+ at full MSRP. It is a dealership wet dream because all the schmucks will just say "hell it is free financing" and the cost difference is ignored because they all just talk payments. Add to that, they don't have to make a payment for several months. There is zero charity in the offers out there today. They are just re-packaging the same old BS sales pitches into "we care." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

My experience is with a stabilized bumper pull RV that is 38' long I believe. For sure it would tow it, but the truck just doesn't have the weight to be 100% in control when there are little quirks in the road or higher winds imo.  I think a smaller profile dump trailer loaded to the gills would tow fine at 10k. I should have qualified that.

I love the eco boost motor and am a huge fan of the performance, it is legit. Certainly not hating on that motor. There is just a point where physics wins and I almost hit that one day. It was too close.

Mine is a 32' RV trailer.  Dry it's 6.5K.  Fully wet and loaded it can be up to 9.5K and that's about where I had it last time I towed.  Obviously hitched with full WD and anti-sway, but zero issues towing that rig through the twists/turns/hills on the Leakey-side drive from Austin to Garner State Park. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Sorry for the triple post, but this is what I was telling my wife. She wants a new vehicle, even though her expedition has 65k miles and is paid off. To get the same thing she has now, we will be on the hook for 70k+ at full MSRP. It is a dealership wet dream because all the schmucks will just say "hell it is free financing" and the cost difference is ignored because they all just talk payments. Add to that, they don't have to make a payment for several months. There is zero charity in the offers out there today. They are just re-packaging the same old BS sales pitches into "we care." 

Exactly. And then the automakers will bitch and moan about needing a bailout. And allegedly Ford is considering asking the Feds

for another cash for clunkers program. Such bullshit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Covri said:

Saw a local dealership advertising this on Facebook (forget which manufacturer) and there was someone in the comments responding to questions. They told someone that In order to get the 84 0% they had to pay MSRP. If that the case you’re probably better off negotiating 9-10k off list and getting low % financing elsewhere.

And so it’s true that it’s either the financing or the ford rebates. I needed both for the numbers to work for me, so no new truck.  We will see what happens with offers over the next month or two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

but it sure as shit felt like I was driving the trailer and not the other way around.

You can tell who’s had the tail wag the dog before, and it doesn’t have a single thing to do with the motor pulling it.  Best motor evar!!1!1 Ecoboost or otherwise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Mine is a 32' RV trailer.  Dry it's 6.5K.  Fully wet and loaded it can be up to 9.5K and that's about where I had it last time I towed.  Obviously hitched with full WD and anti-sway, but zero issues towing that rig through the twists/turns/hills on the Leakey-side drive from Austin to Garner State Park. 

I just checked and I am about there. Looks like it was prob around 10.5k with another 500ish lbs in the bed. Driving on some fairly straight roads but hit high winds. It about ate me up. After that I just didnt have the nut to do it again. I want to be at 60% or less what the vehicle can actually tow or I am just not going to risk it. My kids dont need to suffer because I over estimated anything.

Up till that experience, I thought it was no biggie. Just be careful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

You can tell who’s had the tail wag the dog before, and it doesn’t have a single thing to do with the motor pulling it.  Best motor evar!!1!1 Ecoboost or otherwise.  

I've had the tail wag the dog before.  I pulled the same trailer, but only lightly loaded, so maybe 7K, with my Tahoe.  That's white knuckle driving.  And it's why I bought the pickup.

Pulling a heavily loaded TT with the F150 ecoboost max towing?  Not anywhere close to scary.  Actually, it is quite fun to drive.

 

 

Edited by utee94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...