Scotch

Bozo_Casanova

2 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Has anyone tried these 2 from The Glenlivet:

- Founders Reserve

- Caribbean Reserve

I've had both.  Founders is a decent drink to introduce to folks trying to get into scotch.  Caribbean is solid, not my favorite, but wouldn't turn it away if someone offered.  

I've got some Monkey Shoulder.  Really good for just any day drinking.

I've also got a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue.  Now, I doubt I would EVER pay $200+ for a bottle of scotch.  I'm too cheap for that.  BUT...when I go to St Martin over Christmas for vacation, I hit up Phillipsburg and get a bottle for $95.  Because I WILL pay $95 for a $200+ bottle of scotch.  It's pretty tasty stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Group of us got together to share a bottle of Macallan 18 (sherry oak cask) to toast to my late father.  I've had it a handful of times, and it's always fucking amazing. If I could only drink one thing the rest of my life it would be Mac18. It was dad's favorite too. I'm an idiot and didn't get a live picture. 

spacer.png

Edited by CBT
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 2 months later...

I started drinking Talskers after I saw the scene in Charlie Wilson’s war. PSH brings him a bottle and tells Hanks the story of Robert Louis Stevenson’s poem about a man returning from abroad. I went out and found a 22, 18 and 12 year old. The 22 ran about $300. I tried them ( I am a bourbon drinker) and really didn’t like it. Though I can see why the peaty taste appeals to many. 

6 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I started drinking Talskers after I saw the scene in Charlie Wilson’s war. PSH brings him a bottle and tells Hanks the story of Robert Louis Stevenson’s poem about a man returning from abroad. I went out and found a 22, 18 and 12 year old. The 22 ran about $300. I tried them ( I am a bourbon drinker) and really didn’t like it. Though I can see why the peaty taste appeals to many. 

Talisker is the only peaty whisky that I really like. I stick to the 10-year, which will set you back less than $100.

On 3/2/2021 at 9:16 AM, zlavydra said:

Talisker is the only peaty whisky that I really like. I stick to the 10-year, which will set you back less than $100.

I tend not go about $80 since my palate doesn't know the difference, so a 10 year old Talisker hits all the right points - medium body, long finish, smoky (I wouldn't call it peaty) and <$100.

• 2 weeks later...

My buddies and I got together last night for some scotch, whisky, tequila and cognac tasting. 

We did flights from cheapest to most expensive. Of the whiskys, the guys liked the Dalmore (cheapest) with the Kurayoshi coming in a close second. Personally I like the smokiness of the Talisker, but they weren’t ready for it I guess. The Kavalan Solist came in dead last, but likely because we drank neat (it’s cask strength).

Of the tequilas, the Avion 44 came up on top, but the Codigo was also DAMN good. 

The Hennessy was there for dessert. Also good but not my bag.

All in all, it was a good time. I need to invest a few more hundreds in getting more Highland and Japanese whiskys and doing this again. 

B142E77D-8A13-407B-8CF2-3AAF453EE875.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 months later...

Reiterating my love for the balvenie12 yr American oak. It’s just absurdly good. It really does battle the yamazaki I’ve been drinking, albeit a different style.

I have a 2017 limited edition yama up next, but honestly I might put it up for sale and buy a half dozen of the 12 years instead.