Longhorn94

Surly kids applying / attending UT

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It will be funny if both our daughters end up at Trinity.  Mine got a pretty big $ award, which brings the cost down from "holy fuck" to "minor 2nd mortgage".

She may try CAP at UTSA as well, which is non-binding.  Still waiting on total scholarship from UMinn and UOregon.  Boulder wasn't worth it, their final net cost was well above what we've already seen from the Pac-12 and Big-10 schools.  Apparently Boulder is not fond of being cost-competitive.  (That's an actual perspective I've heard from a half dozen UC parents.)

We are also trying to leverage UT Butler School of Music as an end-around.  Sort of the "athlete" approach (except she's not an athlete).  It may work.

CU needs the out of state money as the state does not pay shit

On 2/4/2020 at 8:35 PM, Austinvines said:

My twins were capped. First is going to accept it and try to get into UTSA. Apparently you have to sign up for the slots online like trying to get concert tickets. He thinks he wants to be a doctor and was accepted to Aggy in the vet/health sciences program. He’s still going to Texas (eventually).

The other wants graphics design and was top 7% with a 33 ACT. He was capped as well and has decided to get a communication design degree from Texas State along with a 9k/year scholarship. That, along with the Texas Tomorrow fund, makes it almost a feee ride. Well at least one I won’t have to hammer big checks for.

All good here.

My son was capped and ended up at UTSA. He is on an Air Force scholarship (ROTC) and a computer science major with a Cyber Security concentration. He is in his second year and no longer has an interest in leaving UTSA. They have a really good cybersecurity program and partnership with the Air Force which is giving him a big jump start into the field. He is getting involved in the AF Cyber Command at Lackland after this semester. Every thing has worked out really well and hasn't costed me any money.

Long story short, after some time on CAP they lose interest in UT. Overall, I think this is a really good thing for the UT System schools picking up the overflow of quality students.

Well, that was interesting.  The CAP "portal" opened at 6 PM (CST) tonight.  I felt like I was playing a video game, or trying to score tickets for Tool.  It appears we successfully selected UTSA, which all things considered, is not a bad safety school should my daughter's other options not pan out financially.  It's a weird thing -- she has been accepted to a ton of great schools, but only one is likely better than UT in her chosen major, with another admission unknown (Northwestern), so we're walking a fine line between guaranteed soph-senior year at UT (assuming 3.2 GPA at UTSA) or going out of state for what is likely quite a bit more money.

They could make CAP easier.  This whole "6 PM first come first served" thing is antithetical to what they should be trying to do, which is to fill the satellite schools with the best freshmen possible.  They should just demand that CAP agreements be filed by a certain date and then pick and choose the students as warranted.  The current policy of only allowing students to pick one campus would eliminate overlap and associated questions about seriousness of student interest.

Edited by jimmyjazz

My daughter accepted Plan II last night.  So unbelievably proud of her.  We're out of state (out of state tuition be damned), which makes her even being accepted to UT at all so cool.  

10 minutes ago, field said:

My daughter accepted Plan II last night.  So unbelievably proud of her.  We're out of state (out of state tuition be damned), which makes her even being accepted to UT at all so cool.  

Congrats, that is awesome!  My son got into the Engineering Honors program and he got a nice scholarship offer this weekend which surprised us.  He was rejected by Plan II, which may have been because he can't follow directions and failed to list Plan II or a liberal arts major as his second choice major, which appears to be a requirement.  Good life lesson for him to pay attention to details.

1 minute ago, chitwood said:

Congrats, that is awesome!  My son got into the Engineering Honors program and he got a nice scholarship offer this weekend which surprised us.  He was rejected by Plan II, which may have been because he can't follow directions and failed to list Plan II or a liberal arts major as his second choice major, which appears to be a requirement.  Good life lesson for him to pay attention to details.

The "I didn't get into Plan II but got into Engineering Honors trauma" can be quite unbearable. You may want to get him counseling. Thoughts and prayers!!!

Congrats to the kid! Hearing how fucking hard it was to get into Texas this year, that fact that he not only got into Engineering but the Honors program is an amazing accomplishment.

Congratulations to "field"/"chitwood" and families!

Since the girl had already applied to Arlington, she picked that route for CAP. I figure, like mentioned above, she isn't likely to make it back to Austin. Her best friend best option was UT Arlington so they are going together. I don't doubt she will earn the grades but do doubt she will want to leave once settled in.

At this point, I am okay with it as finances are more important. If I can find a couple more thousand free dollars, she will attend UT Arlington without cost. I doubt UT Austin will eveer offer her that much, even though I believe Arlington actually costs a small bit more.

They also just put her in a program that auto-admits into Nursing (they don't do direct Nursing admissions except for a small group of freshman in this program).

UT prof friend says UTA has been putting a lot of work, money into the Nursing school and the KIN school so that is good news.

She was disappointed in UT, but seemed to quickly switch to excitement. We all knew she was a longshot, better student than standardized test taker.

I suspect Arlington is a little far for her(and mine) taste too (she is a serious homebody) but she will adapt quickly.

Edited by pacman

7 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

The "I didn't get into Plan II but got into Engineering Honors trauma" can be quite unbearable. You may want to get him counseling. Thoughts and prayers!!!

Congrats to the kid! Hearing how fucking hard it was to get into Texas this year, that fact that he not only got into Engineering but the Honors program is an amazing accomplishment.

Yeah, I know.  Poor kid may never recover.  :)  Thanks a bunch. His twin sister is appealing her CAP status, but as I noted she has lots of good options elsewhere if she chooses.  It will be hard for them to split up, but had to happen sooner or later (we aren't from Arkansas or Oklahoma for God's sake).

32 minutes ago, chitwood said:

Yeah, I know.  Poor kid may never recover.  :)  Thanks a bunch. His twin sister is appealing her CAP status, but as I noted she has lots of good options elsewhere if she chooses.  It will be hard for them to split up, but had to happen sooner or later (we aren't from Arkansas or Oklahoma for God's sake).

Or some shithole like Indiana...

Son got into Trinity early app, with a big ass pile of merit money.  Unless Tulane or a couple of other schools show up with money, I think the boy will be in San Antonio next fall.

This is probably an unpopular opinion but what kind of degree almost matters as much as where the degree is from. I'd rather send my kid to another school like SMU or Arkansas for a Business degree than send my kid to UT for some un-hirable Liberal Arts degree. A UT degree only means so much if you cannot find a gainfully employed job because you graduated with an Art History degree or someshit, no offense intended to Art History Majors.

Let's just say there's a reason for the student loan bubble which is about to burst. I know a kid who went through grad school at UT to get a Masters in Hindi. He is white. What the fuck is a white dude with a Masters in Hindi going to do for a job, one that will pay off his student loan debt and provide him funds by which to live? There are a already 1.3B people who speak Hindi, AND they all have IT degrees. The fuck.

Edited by crash_davis

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

A UT degree only means so much if you cannot find a gainfully employed job because you graduated with an Art History degree or someshit, no offense intended to Art History Majors.

But you will have gone to UT and spent the rest of your life not regretting it. 

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion but what kind of degree almost matters as much as where the degree is from. I'd rather send my kid to another school like SMU or Arkansas for a Business degree than send my kid to UT for some un-hirable Liberal Arts degree. A UT degree only means so much if you cannot find a gainfully employed job because you graduated with an Art History degree or someshit, no offense intended to Art History Majors.

Let's just say there's a reason for the student loan bubble which is about to burst. I know a kid who went through grad school at UT to get a Masters in Hindi. He is white. What the fuck is a white dude with a Masters in Hindi going to do for a job, one that will pay off his student loan debt and provide him funds by which to live? There are a already 1.3B people who speak Hindi, AND they all have IT degrees. The fuck.

He has people skills? 

A guy I went to hs with majored in Russian at UT.  This ended up getting him into investment banking at a very high level. He's a surly 2‰er.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

He has people skills? 

A guy I went to hs with majored in Russian at UT.  This ended up getting him into investment banking at a very high level. He's a surly 2‰er.

For every one of him, there are thousands of unemployed or underemployed people with similar degrees.

16 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

What the fuck is a white dude with a Masters in Hindi going to do for a job, one that will pay off his student loan debt and provide him funds by which to live? 

Masters in Hindi - You're young and you got your health. What you want with a job?

16 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

For every one of him, there are thousands of unemployed or underemployed people with similar degrees.

And there are thousands of us that don't really do anything related to our major that are not unemployed.  It's a journey sir, not a life sentence.  

31 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

He can write technical documentation for me to provide our new Indian business partners, who are probably going to end up with my job at a fraction of the cost and much more work ethic and competence.

Edited by pacman

11 minutes ago, pacman said:

He can write technical documentation for me to provide our new Indian business partners, who are probably going to end up with my job at a fraction of the cost and much more work ethic and competence.

and sobriety.

58 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Yeah, I disagree with this.  I'm not going to force my daughter to get a degree in something she has no interest in just because it potentially makes her more employable.  If I wanted to do that, I'd tell her to be a plumber.  This is higher education, not trade school.  A degree from the College of Liberal Arts at a prestigious school like UT tells employers they can think and learn and write and communicate.  Slapping a Business degree on a mediocre education doesn't make it any better.

Now, I do agree that you shouldn't be borrowing huge sums of money for completely shitastic degrees, but I do think there are tons of liberal arts degrees and colleges out there that are worthwhile.

6 minutes ago, chitwood said:

I'm not going to force my daughter to get a degree in something she has no interest in just because it potentially makes her more employable.  If I wanted to do that, I'd tell her to be a plumber. 

nobody puts up with more shit at work than a plumber.  

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

Son got into Trinity early app, with a big ass pile of merit money.  Unless Tulane or a couple of other schools show up with money, I think the boy will be in San Antonio next fall.

More likely than not where my daughter ends up as well.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

And there are thousands of us that don't really do anything related to our major that are not unemployed.  It's a journey sir, not a life sentence.  

True.  I was a poli sci major.  I planned on being POTUS, but it appears the transgressions of my youth (and young adulthood, and middle -age) preclude any serious candidacy for public office.  So I just went out and made a bunch of money elsewhere.

Hur....dur....degrees in anything except maff, engineering, and bidness mean you’ll be a poor.

Thats not how this works.  That’s not how any of this works. I have a poly sci degree, work for a non profit, and live very, very well working easy hours. 

Edited by Bateshorn

Watching the ineptitude of this country handle politics, we should all have political science degrees.

My bad for derailing this thread.  For me the last post on this tangent.

College means different things to different people. For me, the main purpose of college is to find a job and establish the baseline for gainful employment for the rest of your life. Want to retire at a relatively younger age, want to be able to take annual family vacation(s) to nice places, want to be able set money aside to pay for your kid(s) college tuition, want to not have to live paycheck to paycheck? Your major most likely helps with those goals.

Think of it another way, it's all about ROI. You have $100-200k to invest into something that will give you a lifelong return on that investment. College and college major is the investment. Your ROI is your lifelong earnings potential. Yea there are a shitton of factors that go into that with luck being a big part of it. But statistically, some majors earn more than others, both straight out of college and lifelong earnings potential. Some majors are more "employable" than others. There are always exceptions but playing the odds favor certain majors over others.

Lastly, automation is here and it's only going to get worse which means there will be even fewer jobs for our kids and their kids.

Pertinent study. Get from it what you will.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/pdf/coe_sbc.pdf

Y’all I have a quick question. My son got “CAP”. UT Arlington and UTSA are already full, so it comes down to choosing between UTEP and UT Tyler. What say you?

Oldest daughter was accepted to UT, Natural Science College.  I was so pumped, but she feels the school is too big for her, I can understand that.  She hasn't told them no, but it is not her #1 choice.  She did get accepted to U of Arizona (good scholarship which would make it cheaper than UT for us), Butler, SMU and a couple of other schools.  She is waiting to hear from TCU, Cornell and one other school, can't remember which before she decides.  She did say TCU was too close to home and she wanted more distance.  We took a visit to Arizona a couple of weekends ago.  I think she woke up one day and decided I'm going to apply to some of the most expensive schools.

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Y’all I have a quick question. My son got “CAP”. UT Arlington and UTSA are already full, so it comes down to choosing between UTEP and UT Tyler. What say you?

UTEP by a mile.  Better school, El Paso is a very under appreciated city, and it’ll better prepare him for any other system campus should he decide to transfer.  

26 minutes ago, hrmaddie said:

Oldest daughter was accepted to UT, Natural Science College.  I was so pumped, but she feels the school is too big for her, I can understand that.  She hasn't told them no, but it is not her #1 choice.  She did get accepted to U of Arizona (good scholarship which would make it cheaper than UT for us), Butler, SMU and a couple of other schools.  She is waiting to hear from TCU, Cornell and one other school, can't remember which before she decides.  She did say TCU was too close to home and she wanted more distance.  We took a visit to Arizona a couple of weekends ago.  I think she woke up one day and decided I'm going to apply to some of the most expensive schools.

Let me know if she wants to chat with my daughter about her experience at UT in CNS. My daughter is an Environmental Science major on the biology track. Did she apply to any of the honors programs? My daughter has found the Dean's Scholar community to be extremely welcoming and has a very small school feel to it.