Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I completely get what you are saying, but at this point they've had nearly two weeks of on going siege and war.  In a scenario like that, don't you use all the resources available to you?  This is fairly common stuff, and in this instance you aren't looking for pinpoint demolition, more of a kinetic energy demolition (i.e. you don't need a study or heavy engineering, just using it at the appropriate time can make a difference).  This stuff is pretty common because its so stable.  If you have it, don't you use it?

Then you build IEDs

• Hook 'Em 2

This was posted earlier but if you haven't read the entire thread, take the opportunity to do so now and click through. A jaw-dropping story about lack of operational security that'll leave you speechless.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 5

Given that we completely estimated everything about the Russian army... has there been any discussion on the best guess of their remaining level of armaments?   Have they used 1/10th of what they have?  1/1000th?  

I would guess their manufacturing ability is shit,  but any clue what kind of arsenal they have in reserve?   

Deputy prime minister raises prospect of closing Nord Stream 1 gas pipeline to Germany, and says rejecting Russian oil would be ‘catastrophic’ for world

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/08/russia-threatens-europes-gas-supplies-as-west-mulls-oil-import-ban-over-ukraine-invasion

spacer.png

"Germany relies on Russia for more than half of its gas and coal supplies and more than a third of its oil. To compensate for lost Russian gas, the country would need deliveries from the world’s entire 600-vessel fleet of liquefied natural gas tankers, business lobby DIHK estimates."

https://financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/germany-signals-opposition-to-cutting-essential-russian-energy

On a completely unrelated note, any of y'all know how to best prepare yearling Golden Retriever on a Weber Smokey Mountain? Type of smoke flavor would likely be treated furniture scraps, old amazon delivery boxes and dried leaves...just not sure whether to use butcher paper or foil.

Asking for a friend...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Shady Ray said:

Deputy prime minister raises prospect of closing Nord Stream 1 gas pipeline to Germany, and says rejecting Russian oil would be ‘catastrophic’ for world

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/08/russia-threatens-europes-gas-supplies-as-west-mulls-oil-import-ban-over-ukraine-invasion

spacer.png

"Germany relies on Russia for more than half of its gas and coal supplies and more than a third of its oil. To compensate for lost Russian gas, the country would need deliveries from the world’s entire 600-vessel fleet of liquefied natural gas tankers, business lobby DIHK estimates."

https://financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/germany-signals-opposition-to-cutting-essential-russian-energy

On a completely unrelated note, any of y'all know how to best prepare yearling Golden Retriever on a Weber Smokey Mountain? Type of smoke flavor would likely be treated furniture scraps, old amazon delivery boxes and dried leaves...just not sure whether to use butcher paper or foil.

Asking for a friend...

Soak in butter milk bones and wrap at 130 degrees.  My personal favorite recipe comes from 99 ways to Wok Your Dog

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, pops said:

would guess their manufacturing ability is shit,

Only going to get worse - many of their weapons systems are long out of productions and their factories rely heavily on Western or Chinese base components (down to tires and computer displays). Estimates are that their existing factories will start running dry soon, particularly in the automative and defense/aerospace industries.

They don't even have the financial resources and actual facilities to start making the components they normally import from other countries.

One of the analysts said they could start nationalizing foreign-owned facilities (I'm sure the oligarchs are eyeing that) and shifting their manufacturing priorities to simple stuff to keep existing systems running (make their own tires, do some simple powertrain and engine stuff, etc.), but that outright replacement of a lot of weapons systems is off the table.

Putin trying to project strength has crippled Russia.  

• Hook 'Em 2

So if Russia defaults on their bonds, as is projected beginning 4/15, creditors would have the opportunity to sue and obtain full or partial repayment through the russian reserves that are frozen throughout the world. Here's where their reserves are (2nd graph).

Meanwhile, it's been reported that MNCs like Pepsi, Coca Cola, Starbucks, McDonalds, Nestle, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, and Philip Morris have significant financial exposure in Russia and continue to do business there.

Edited by Chopper
spell

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

This seems to be about the part in the war where Putin "fires" his offensive coordinator (or another assistant).  Does he start with Shoigu or sacrifice someone else for the debacle to date?  Predictions?

If Shoigu was career-military and not in Putin's inner circle, he would already be dead.

Starting with Shoigu is interesting since his mom was born in Ukraine, speaks a bunch of languages including Turkish, Japanese, and English which provides Putin a little ammo to toss around.  He didn't serve in the military apparently, but was one of Putin's inner circle.

Putin is KGB though.  Does he think Shoigu was getting accurate reports but has been lying to him?  Or does he think the whole Defence Ministry has been bullshitting Shoigu and/or him?  I kind of think Putin being KGB and paranoid, he's going to think it's a lot of generals that have been lying to him and he's going to look for conspiracies.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, pops said:

Given that we completely estimated everything about the Russian army... has there been any discussion on the best guess of their remaining level of armaments?   Have they used 1/10th of what they have?  1/1000th?  

I would guess their manufacturing ability is shit,  but any clue what kind of arsenal they have in reserve?   

Just one man's opinion, but I would find it difficult to believe that despite all the corruption and theft that has taken place within the Russian military, that a 15 day conflict would come anywhere near depleting Russian conventional munitions stores.  What did get me interested was considering the nuclear stores the Russians have.

My understanding (via reading the Atomic Commission) is that the expected shelf life of weapons grade nuclear material is approximately 45 years.  Meaning anything constructed from 1976ish to present should be considered viable.  That having been said, apparently in experimental studies, the lifespan may well be 85 years, depending upon storage and maintenance.  All that having been said, during the SALT II agreements, it's likely that anything creating up until that time (roughly 1986ish) has by now likely long since been retired (Ironically, much of this may well be the fuel at the nuclear power stations in Ukraine).  Basically, we should have every reason to suspect that the vast majority of the Russian nuclear arsenal is in fact live and active.  The question mark would be whether or not the maintenance on the actual delivery systems themselves has been done.  I'd be betting on not so much, but that's just my gut but its based on the operational elements of the rest of their military, which frankly appear to be in shambles. 

Of that 6000, lets say only 10% is actually operational.  The problem would still be that potentially Putin has 600 working nuclear weapons; that's certainly enough to give me pause, and I'm guessing its the same for the people that actually make decisions on these matters.   

At any rate, I don't think munitions are the Russian problem.  The truth is the lack of maintenance on their fleet is doing them in, both Air and Ground.  

• Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

It’s piss.

It isn't just that their manufacturing capability is shit, which is true; it's that even if they had the ability to manufacture anything, they can't because they are economically crippled.  Essentially, let's say they had exhausted their cruise missile capability.  They may have the ability to make more, but they were dependent on external materials do so, of which they now no longer have access to.  In short, they have no real ability to replenish any advanced offensive weapons.  Even if they manage to smuggle shit in, it would take months if not years to begin to replenish these sort of stores.  

Again, I don't think they are anywhere near exhausting conventional munitions, but advanced weaponry, I don't think they have either the ability or means to do this.  

4 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Peon, I fight with the sword of Khaless

2 hours ago, staboner said:

star-trek-gowron.gif

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

GowronPaint.gif.d425c1d2551db508e561558f7a6ad75e.gif

Oh come on people, will you please stop spamming this thread with Gowron and the Sword of Kahless? While we all know that Dahar Master Kor wanted to retrieve the Sword of Kahless to give to Gowron, he and Worf agreed that it was to powerful a symbol to go to any one Klingon. Gowron never had the sword! Geez, it's like I'm playing 3-D chess with my brother's kids.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

When you see those anti-air and command vehicles being captured or destroyed, while people put dollar amounts on them I don’t even know how you actually calculate the cost in terms of tactical or strategic terms. 

Sunk cost, but it's even worse than that.  The people that designed and manufactured all that equipment did so 20+ years ago.  Same with much of the rest of the "advanced" weaponry Russia will soon need to resupply.  Let's forget that raw materials and the like were and issue.  In order to build this sort of stuff you need people that have done it before, experience matters.  Now superimpose that on something like a 20 year high school reunion.  Basically, if you are lucky you might be able to 10% of the original team to reunite.  All that experience is long gone, and basically you are starting from scratch, but you work in building missiles, wanna do it with 90% greenhorns?

28 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Just one man's opinion, but I would find it difficult to believe that despite all the corruption and theft that has taken place within the Russian military, that a 15 day conflict would come anywhere near depleting Russian conventional munitions stores.  What did get me interested was considering the nuclear stores the Russians have.

My understanding (via reading the Atomic Commission) is that the expected shelf life of weapons grade nuclear material is approximately 45 years.  Meaning anything constructed from 1976ish to present should be considered viable.  That having been said, apparently in experimental studies, the lifespan may well be 85 years, depending upon storage and maintenance.  All that having been said, during the SALT II agreements, it's likely that anything creating up until that time (roughly 1986ish) has by now likely long since been retired (Ironically, much of this may well be the fuel at the nuclear power stations in Ukraine).  Basically, we should have every reason to suspect that the vast majority of the Russian nuclear arsenal is in fact live and active.  The question mark would be whether or not the maintenance on the actual delivery systems themselves has been done.  I'd be betting on not so much, but that's just my gut but its based on the operational elements of the rest of their military, which frankly appear to be in shambles. 

Of that 6000, lets say only 10% is actually operational.  The problem would still be that potentially Putin has 600 working nuclear weapons; that's certainly enough to give me pause, and I'm guessing its the same for the people that actually make decisions on these matters.   

At any rate, I don't think munitions are the Russian problem.  The truth is the lack of maintenance on their fleet is doing them in, both Air and Ground.  

That is a great interpretation of how the nukes work and are maintained.  Through testing they come up with a "will work 100 percent of the time" bases on calculations and testing.  Will it work after that?  Yeah but it's an unexplored realm that hasn't been scientifically proven.  Now that we have high powered computers.  They get better with how long.  We have to remember nuclear weapons were developed with very basic computers.  So yeah I would agree with you.  Those nukes are going to work.  Unless 60 years of sitting there had wires get wet or ants for in there and chewed up the wires.  Or the wire gets so brittle.  But the actual core.  Yeah it will make something go boom.

Like if a crane said rated for 10 tons.  Does it mean it can only lift 10 tons?  No we only tested to 10 tons.

As far as their conventional stuff.  It is the question.  What the fuck are you waiting for.  It is sort of like the question you asked earlier.  Well if this thing is going to go to waste if I don't use it.  Why not use it. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

That is a great interpretation of how the nukes work and are maintained.  Through testing they come up with a "will work 100 percent of the time" bases on calculations and testing.  Will it work after that?  Yeah but it's an unexplored realm that hasn't been scientifically proven.  Now that we have high powered computers.  They get better with how long.  We have to remember nuclear weapons were developed with very basic computers.  So yeah I would agree with you.  Those nukes are going to work.  Unless 60 years of sitting there had wires get wet or ants for in there and chewed up the wires.  Or the wire gets so brittle.  But the actual core.  Yeah it will make something go boom.

Like if a crane said rated for 10 tons.  Does it mean it can only lift 10 tons?  No we only tested to 10 tons.

As far as their conventional stuff.  It is the question.  What the fuck are you waiting for.  It is sort of like the question you asked earlier.  Well if this thing is going to go to waste if I don't use it.  Why not use it. 

I suppose the waiting game is the most difficult part of all this.  I've been shocked that the Russian force from the north has either been content to sit in the same spot for nearly a week, allowing the Ukrainians to sit and build defense around Kyiv.  I suspect they are out of gas, and I also suspect they haven't the desire to enter into what they know is their own slaughter.  

While it is a legitimate question how well maintained and operational their nukes are given how halfassed literally everything else about them is, it is worth assuming they work as advertised. They seem to have invested in their nuke program significantly since it is the only think keeping them in the geopolitical power they think they deserve. And even if half their nukes are duds, it doesn’t make a shit with regard to strategy. They have more than enough to trigger MAD
  • Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Oh come on people, will you please stop spamming this thread with Gowron and the Sword of Kahless? While we all know that Dahar Master Kor wanted to retrieve the Sword of Kahless to give to Gowron, he and Worf agreed that it was to powerful a symbol to go to any one Klingon. Gowron never had the sword! Geez, it's like I'm playing 3-D chess with my brother's kids.

image.png.36d94f81028ff407b368cab5e8dc33a2.png

I would speak with you. You dishonor Kor, Koloth, and Kang, and their hallowed names of the history of the Empire. They all met good deaths (at the hands of The Albino & The Jem'Hadar), worthy of Sto'Vo'Kor. Drink a barrel of blood-wine to honor them!

tumblr_5efdaddcad9518b2fffc5a19867f2573_8f9d186d_400.gif.1beb9b60bc4671a8753e72f4dbaa9512.gif

Qa-pla!  

Slava Ukraini! Lulz.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

LA Times doing a feature on some folks at the front lines in Irpin, just north of Kyiv. 

https://apple.news/AooltHUJDSbm3x3pkvK7U4Q

By Monday, the Russians had taken half of Irpin, and the fight, he knew, was only going to get worse. The reality was that there were enough Russian troops to overwhelm what resistance the Ukrainians could muster.

“We're going to try burn them. We'll fight to the end. What choice do we have?” he said.

To one side stood Dmytro, 35, gazing at a picture of his daughter, 7-month-old Diana, on his smartphone. He was one of the few fighters who looked uncomfortable in their military uniforms, their demeanor showing they were unused to combat.

“I’m proud of my people. But I’m fighting for Diana,” he said. “It was a difficult choice. But better that she be without a father than without a future.“

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

While it is a legitimate question how well maintained and operational their nukes are given how halfassed literally everything else about them is, it is worth assuming they work as advertised. They seem to have invested in their nuke program significantly since it is the only think keeping them in the geopolitical power they think they deserve. And even if half their nukes are duds, it doesn’t make a shit with regard to strategy. They have more than enough to trigger MAD

So deadliest missiles in the western fleet is a sub launched D5 right?  Now Google D5 test fail.  Those are the public ones that are acknowledged. The rest it is between us an the nuclear nations that know.  

2 hours ago, pops said:

Took months to amass the troops and equipment lost in Ukraine and now they ain't got no trucks to get whatever anywhere.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

30 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

That's some scenery making your way to Romania from Lviv. Hungary is another option, but maybe she knows Bucharest better than Budapest, if Bucharest is where she's driving. (probably)

Yeah, that doesn’t say “Fuck off”. It says “Go suck your own dick.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3