Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

31 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Two raging controversies on Twitter right now: Does Russia simply have too many troops and weapons for UKR to hold off and is UKR doomed. Also was the translation fucked up for the drone bomb, and should it have read "pickled plum tomatoes" instead of tomatoes with plums.

My former culinary arts inner nerd has been trying to figure out the reason for the combo, what the flavor is, and really wanting to taste it.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It appears this is either the son or the nephew of http://Valery Gerasimov, the Chief of the General Staff.

Yeah, nah--Johnston wasn't an American military officer when he died anymore than Benedict Arnold was an American military officer when he died.

It’s not a great analogy. 

Confederate soldiers were never granted veteran status. But they were given amnesty, and they did receive pensions and other benefits for their service. The point still stands in my mind regarding Johnston not being an American military officer, but the actions of Confederate soldiers is not recognized as treason. 

11 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It appears this is either the son or the nephew of http://Valery Gerasimov, the Chief of the General Staff.

Yeah, nah--Johnston wasn't an American military officer when he died anymore than Benedict Arnold was an American military officer when he died.

"With malice toward none" so quickly forgotten. 

Do you have a source on that 50-70% number?
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/07/us/politics/russia-ukraine-military.html#:~:text=Russia's military%2C at 900%2C000 active,times the size of Ukraine's.
Most sources I’ve seen have Russian troop numbers as 900,000 active duty. 

Some people seem to be talking about total  military, some references appear to be specifically about infantry.  That could be one source of the confusion about the numbers.

Yeah I don’t think that’s necessarily in conflict - note I said 50-70 percent of ground forces, not total manpower. The 150k-200k mobilized would figure to largely be ground forces given the seemingly limited use of Russian air power (plus the fact that you don’t have to crowd air power on the border in the same fashion) and the lack of a real naval theater. Knowing that, that tracks with 50-70% figure, which I do recall being widely reported; also, using Wikipedia’s 280k active duty in the army even as a very rough estimate, you’re still north of 50%.

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You don't need to worry about logistical support when you're just taking a Sunday drive into friendly territory.  You send in the armor, the fuel trucks happily follow them, and they don't need to refuel often anyway because it's all over in 2-3 days.  It seems apparent that's what Russia planned for.

That was a big mistake.

Now, they have to fight an actual war with no plan on how to do so, and they've lost so much support/logistical equipment that they'll have a hard time adjusting their game plan (and they ain't great at mid-game adjustments to begin with).

There's a path to victory for Ukraine -- it's a war of logistical attrition.  Ukraine doesn't have to advance or win anything.  They just have to keep exacting hideous costs on the Russian supply system, and Russian troops who are fucking exposed as hell on those roads.

So I know a little bit about the Russian disinformation campaign (not as much a GRU horn tho).  With wife's family there, it was amazing how much positive feedback the Russians got in parts of eastern Europe.  Ukraine/Slovakia/Poland are countries I know of personal family/friends who were lapping up anything the Russians sold online when they were sowing discord.  The Russians thought this meant something - I asked my wife and we discussed with several people there...that shit changed almost overnight once Russia invaded.  99% of people went immediately to 'fuck Putin'.  I think they bought the bullshit they saw online and rolled with it.  Whoops

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I see what's right in front of me.  I take it all with a grain of salt.  I damned well know that Russian military action is inflicting real losses on an outgunned Ukraine.

But regarding what you are.....I've seen it for a long time.  With respect to you, with respect to Brexit, with respect to Russian dezinformatsiya regarding American politics, vaccines, etc.

You are aligned with the  dezinformatsiya on EVERY.  SINGLE.  ISSUE.  

I've been around too long to believe in coincidences.

I’ll address you fully on the CR thread. Suffice it to say my primary political positions have nothing to do with Russia. I don’t even think I was here during Brexit. You’re hallucinating. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

"The Russian army is equipped with secure phones that can't work in areas where the Russian army operates."

Lulz.

“if you can’t talk on the battlefield, you’re just camping.”  Mark Hertling quoting one of his senior officers.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, dcar00 said:

We should probably take the opportunity to declare Cuba the 51st state.

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

This looks like another potential constitutional work-around.  Japan wouldn't be deploying troops to reconquer territory from Russia; it would be deploying its self-defense force to defend what was always Japanese.

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Mexico says hold my cerveza

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Well, you know what--Mexico isn't putting any sanctions on Russia.  Apparently they now think that waging wars of aggression is just fine.

So Mexico can really fuck all the way off.

Realignment talk wasn't going away four hours ago.

13 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

this is, of course, very bad ass, but isn’t this going way way too far?  The Russians know exactly where you are to the inch   We don’t want you to die dude  

Probably snuck in, kept lights off near windows, took the video to prove he was there unlike Putin and taped his message got the fuck out and posted it later. Dumb move imo but he’s taking chances that keep paying off so who am I to second guess. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

this is, of course, very bad ass, but isn’t this going way way too far?  The Russians know exactly where you are to the inch   We don’t want you to die dude  

I'm sure he recorded that, and then bugged out in a nanosecond after recording stopped.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

I have a funny feeling those 3,000 applicants aren’t a bunch of ex-operator badasses. I’m expecting a bunch of fat weekend larpers. The type of guys I see all decked out at the airsoft arena when I take my 12 year old. 

They've been vetting them as they are able to, and apparently do require prior military service (which can be checked by them).

But....I wouldn't mind if 3,000 LARPers showed up...as long as they didn't get anybody else killed when they went Leroy Jenkins.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Doesn't quite apply to this thread yet, but could in the coming days/weeks if Putin starts executing scapegoats - interesting to ponder considering some of the past conflicts Putin has been in charge of.

Putin's purges?

Won't even scratch the surface of how many Stalin purged.

1 minute ago, troph said:

Probably snuck in, kept lights off near windows, took the video to prove he was there unlike Putin and taped his message got the fuck out and posted it later. Dumb move imo but he’s taking chances that keep paying off so who am I to second guess. 

He's winning the propaganda war by a lot, and running the Ukrainian propaganda version of HUHN deep into the 4th quarter.  I like it.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They've been vetting them as they are able to, and apparently do require prior military service (which can be checked by them).

But....I wouldn't mind if 3,000 LARPers showed up...as long as they didn't get anybody else killed when they went Leroy Jenkins.

At this point I'd assume that LARPers and airsoft enthusiasts could do serious damage to Russian forces--while using their LARPing and airsoft gear.

Lightning bolt!

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

LARPers to the FRONT!!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Or throw away half-full ammo clips because they want a full one.  

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Russia has tons more troops/military/etc. across the country. 
Russia was estimated to have committed somewhere between 50 and 70 percent of its entire ground force to the Ukrainian invasion. If 90+ percent of that is deployed here, they’ve deployed an outright majority of their army.

52 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Do you have a source on that 50-70% number?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/07/us/politics/russia-ukraine-military.html#:~:text=Russia's military%2C at 900%2C000 active,times the size of Ukraine's.

Most sources I’ve seen have Russian troop numbers as 900,000 active duty. 

Russian armed forces as a whole have about a million active duty.  That's Ground Forces, Naval, Aerospace, etc,  and the majority are not in the Ground Forces.

Ground Forces (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Ground_Forces) = 280,000 active duty.  Probably 60-70,000 actual infantry (I'm being generous and assuming the Aerospace and other forces pick up the slack in certain areas that our US Army takes care of on its own).

I would not be surprised if well more than 50% of their active-duty infantry were thrown into Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 1

These figures were in a NYT article just published.

To be sure, most military experts say that Russia will eventually subdue Ukraine’s army. Russia’s military, at 900,000 active duty troops and two million reservists, is eight times the size of Ukraine’s. Russia has advanced fighter planes, a formidable navy and marines capable of multiple amphibious landings, as they proved early in the invasion when they launched from the Black Sea and headed toward the city of Mariupol.

However,

That Russia has so quickly abandoned surgical strikes, instead killing civilians trying to flee, could damage Mr. Putin’s chances of winning a long-term war in Ukraine. The brutal tactics may eventually overwhelm Ukraine’s defenses, but they will almost certainly fuel a bloody insurgency that could bog down Russia for years, military analysts say. Most of all, Russia has exposed to its European neighbors and American rivals gaps in its military strategy that can be exploited in future battles.

“Today what I have seen is that even this huge army or military is not so huge,” said Lt. Gen. Martin Herem, Estonia’s chief of defense, during a news conference at an air base in northern Estonia with Gen. Mark A. Milley, the chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff. General Herem’s colleague and the air force chief, Brig. Gen. Rauno Sirk, in an interview with a local newspaper, was even more blunt in his assessment of the Russian air force. “If you look at what’s on the other side, you’ll see that there isn’t really an opponent anymore,” he said.

Many of the more than 150,000 largely conscripted troops that Moscow has deployed across Ukraine have been bogged down north of Kyiv, the capital. The northeastern city of Kharkiv was expected to fall within hours of the invasion; it is battered by an onslaught of rocket fire and shelling, but still standing.

Every day, Pentagon officials caution that Russia’s military will soon correct its mistakes, perhaps shutting off communications across the country, cutting off Mr. Zelensky from his commanders. Or Russia could try to shut down Ukraine’s banking system, or parts of the power grid, to increase pressure on the civilian population to capitulate.

39 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Run in, record video, leave immediately.  Zelensky and Ukraine are killing it on the PR front.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The idea of them running around screaming "RELOAD RELOAD RELOAD RELOAD FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE RELOAD RELOAD RELOAD" makes me chuckle.

Nah, them thinking that their shield-recharges, medical packs, passive ability, and ultimate ability are going to save their asses when the frags start flying. #ApexLegends

Lulz.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

They were given amnesty because if they weren't given amnesty they'd have been guilty of treason.

I really don't understand how you can conflate the service of an American military officer (e.g., Grant, Sherman, Chamberlain, Patton, Marshall, Eisenhower, Pershing) with the disservice of a man who swore to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States" and to "bear true faith and allegiance to the same" and who broke his oath, took up arms against the United States, and killed his countrymen so that he and others could continue to hold other humans as slaves.

I now return you to the much more uplifting discussion of dead Russians.

I’m not sure how you think I conflated anything. I already said he shouldn’t be counted as a US military officer killed in battle. Which part of that confused you?

I stated facts. Benedict Arnold was never given amnesty, and his widow and children were not given survivors’ benefits. Well, at least from the US. Doesn’t matter what kind of reasoning you give. I’m not defending going to war to secure the south’s “peculiar institution” as they euphemistically called it.

I’m saying that fighting in a war for secession with the whole population mobilized is a different concept than Benedict Arnold trying to give away West Point and then later being granted a position as a general in the British Army. It has been recognized as different by the US federal government. You can consider the entire South traitors as much as you’d like. But it’s simply not an accurate description in a very legal sense. 

BTW, I’m not saying that military bases should be names after confederates, or statues recognizing their contributions be raised. I’m simply saying they weren’t tried as traitors, and they’re not recognized as traitors by the US government. It’s not the same thing, no matter your personal feelings on the subject. 

• Hook 'Em 1