Baboontyme

Android Thread

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think I have your solution. @workswithseed

On the little menu that pops when you take a screenshot, there is no crop tool.  There is a Lens button.  I think you are pushing that and not the actual crop tool.

If you make the screenshot full size, there is the crop tool on the left.  The crop tool icon looks a bit like the lens icon.

thanks, this is kind of what I thought was happening.

I broke my screen on my Samsung 8plus and I'm trying to decide wether to replace the screen for $250 or bit the bullet and buy a new phone.  Anyone have experience with replacing a Samsung screen and were you satisfied?  I'm toying with the idea of maybe trying an older Oneplus for $500 or so as well.  Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, Nonbryan said:

I broke my screen on my Samsung 8plus and I'm trying to decide wether to replace the screen for $250 or bit the bullet and buy a new phone.  Anyone have experience with replacing a Samsung screen and were you satisfied?  I'm toying with the idea of maybe trying an older Oneplus for $500 or so as well.  Thoughts?

I might suggest that the GS8 is ending its useful life.  So probably anything is a better investment than that $250.

I'm now an advocate for midrange phones.  You can buy a perfectly serviceable new phone for that $250.  I don't miss anything about my S8.

27 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I might suggest that the GS8 is ending its useful life.  So probably anything is a better investment than that $250.

I'm now an advocate for midrange phones.  You can buy a perfectly serviceable new phone for that $250.  I don't miss anything about my S8.

Thanks for the insight Twice.  Any favorites out there right now in that midrange?  I have always been the sucker for the newest phone but I'm up for dropping down  a level and not wasting that $.

2 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

Thanks for the insight Twice.  Any favorites out there right now in that midrange?  I have always been the sucker for the newest phone but I'm up for dropping down  a level and not wasting that $.

I have always bought top end phones, athough I have kept them for more than two years, usually.  My S8 took a shit and in sort of an emergency picked up a Moto G7.

It has a serviceable camera, kind of a 2/3-3/4 Snapdragon processor and 64G of storage plus SD and I got it for 200 bucks.  Notably, it lacks wireless charging and NFC, so if you make use of those, you're out of luck. It has a comparatively low-res screen, but completely adequate.  Other than that, I don't find it giving up much to the S8, which is what three-four years old now?  So, it is probably giving up stuff to the S10 and 20 and the latest other things, but I'm ignorant of all that.  And happy.  And not paying through the nose.

I managed to score the S8 direct from Samsung for 450 bucks, and paid it out over two years, no interest.  I couldn't find a deal like that on anything "new," so I said fuck it.  I ain't payin $800-1000 for a fucking phone and I'm not getting on that lease bullshit merry go round either.

Try looking at a used oneplus 7t or 7 pro. $250 will also get you a used pixel 3a xl

6 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

I've had a Pixel2 since release (so maybe 3.5 years).  It's still rock solid.  You can get refurbs of the 64 gb model on Amazon for $170, which gets you a 90 day warranty.  I think they're getting updates for another year or two.  My kids are still rocking the Pixel 1.  No more updates, but perfectly serviceable phone for a kid.  $92 on Amazon.

Pixels get 3 years of updates so the 2 would only have a few more months left I think (Nov 2020)

I've had a Pixel2 since release (so maybe 3.5 years).  It's still rock solid.  You can get refurbs of the 64 gb model on Amazon for $170, which gets you a 90 day warranty.  I think they're getting updates for another year or two.  My kids are still rocking the Pixel 1.  No more updates, but perfectly serviceable phone for a kid.  $92 on Amazon.
How's your battery? Mine is shit.

20 hours ago, Viper said:

Try looking at a used oneplus 7t or 7 pro. $250 will also get you a used pixel 3a xl

I think I'm going to try and find a oneplus 7 pro and give it a shot.  As well, I'm going to move over to Visible to save a few bucks on cell service.  I will write back on how it goes.

5 hours ago, midtown said:

One Plus Nord comes out next week.

I'm still debating moving to an 8 pro soon.

Will it come out in the USA?  I thought I had read no.  If it does and it's sub $500, that may be the way to go.

It's not. It will probably work here but not optimally. It won't have all the LTE bands. 

9 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

Will it come out in the USA?  I thought I had read no.  If it does and it's sub $500, that may be the way to go.

Shit.  You are probably right.  I have just been reading the headlines and not the whole article.  

10 hours ago, Viper said:

It's not. It will probably work here but not optimally. It won't have all the LTE bands. 

Supposedly not at first but eventually the plan is to roll out the Nord to the US with the appropriate bands. I'm sure they are delaying as to not cannibalize the 8 sales. Not sure when that roll out is going to happen.

This really is an India first phone set to combat the Iphone SE. OP is huge in India. They want to do everything they can to keep and grown their marketshare.

On 7/18/2020 at 8:03 PM, Okie State said:
On 7/18/2020 at 5:56 PM, dcbc said:

Still getting through the day without a charge.  Not quite like it used to be, but not bad given its age.  I attribute that in part to never hooking it up to a car charger if I can help it.

Maybe it's the Cloak Room in me, but I am 100% uncomfortable with carrying a phone sold by a Chinese company. Am I alone?

I'm pretty sure 99% of all phones are made in China. In fact, I'm sure a vast majority of all electronics are manufactured in China. Are you willing to throw away any electronics made in China? And do you care that the US gubment is also spying on you? Or that most of the apps are also spying on you? Most apps have APIs into Facebook. Facebook is spying on you even if you don't have Facebook account. Same with Google. 

Where do you draw the line?

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I'm pretty sure 99% of all phones are made in China. In fact, I'm sure a vast majority of all electronics are manufactured in China. Are you willing to throw away any electronics made in China? And do you care that the US gubment is also spying on you? Or that most of the apps are also spying on you? Most apps have APIs into Facebook. Facebook is spying on you even if you don't have Facebook account. Same with Google. 

tiktok

On 7/18/2020 at 8:03 PM, Okie State said:
On 7/18/2020 at 5:56 PM, dcbc said:

mine seems to be going down hill.  i charge it twice at day most days.  but i don't charge it over 90% (have an alarm) and don't really take it below 30% very often.  but i don't think i used to charge it twice a day. 

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

mine seems to be going down hill.  i charge it twice at day most days.  but i don't charge it over 90% (have an alarm) and don't really take it below 30% very often.  but i don't think i used to charge it twice a day. 

Just depends on the day.  Most days, I'll juice mine up when I'm home for lunch.  I did that today and I'm at 70% as of 4:15 p.m. with normal usage.  It's not at the point where I'm thinking it's time for a new battery or a new phone compared to what my last phone was doing when I bought this one. 

I know mine is significantly worse than it used to be. I need the damn 4a to come out. Ridiculous they've been sitting on it for this long and I'm a little nervous it will never see the shelves. Takes me back to the Palm Pre 3 that never was.

Got an email that the OnePlus 7 Pro's were in stock today from the manufacturer.  I took the plunge and bought one.  As well, I ordered a Visible SIM card and I'm going to throw that in it when it arrives and see how the service is.  I'm excited to see how the new package works out!!

OP make great phones. Their Oxygen OS is snappy as shit. And it's not bloated the fuck out. Love my 6T. I'll have it until it dies or until 5G is ubiquitous. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2020 at 10:54 AM, Nonbryan said:

I've got an 8+ I'd sell you for next to nothing that is in great shape if you're AT&T.

Edited by Deej

10 hours ago, Deej said:

I've got an 8+ I'd sell you for next to nothing that is in great shape if you're AT&T.

why are you selling? hate it?

11 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

why are you selling? hate it?

No. Upgraded last year to an S10+ and it's just been sitting around collecting dust. 

Unboxed and set up this OnePlus 7 pro  and I'm impressed with it so far.  It looks and feels VERY similar to my Samsung.  I may have found a good midrange option here!  I thriew an Alinsea liquid glass cover on it to protect it and it looks sharp.

I'm on a new sales team that uses iMessage a lot. iMessage works just fine with Textra of course, but there are gaps. Are there any Android text apps that work seamlessly with iMessage?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tried to Port my phone over to Visible sevice today.....TERRIBLE experience so far.   Bottom line is that they told me that they would have someone get back to me in five days!!!!!  Hell no. 

On 7/20/2020 at 11:39 AM, crash_davis said:

a lot of it depends on the market they are sold into.  for instance, Samsung phones sold into NA generally are mfg in S. Korea or Vietnam.  you go down to the component level and it would be damn hard to not use anything made in China.

they finally moved away from the 2013 phone design on the "a" and went with bezeless screen. that and the gimpy ass battery always kept me from the "a". finally may pull the trigger but waiting on the high end pixel to see if they finally got their shit together.

It's definitely no flagship, but I'm not into things like that like I used to be. I'm in it for the camera, fingerprint reader, headphone jack, pure Android with regular updates, and of course the price. Wireless charging would be nice and I always liked the aluminum case on my Pixel 2, but I'll get over it.

16 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

they finally moved away from the 2013 phone design on the "a" and went with bezeless screen. that and the gimpy ass battery always kept me from the "a". finally may pull the trigger but waiting on the high end pixel to see if they finally got their shit together.

High end Pixel seems done, the Pixel 5 is using a mid range chip supposedly. Think they are shooting for mid range now.