Jump to content
Mojo Hand

Coffee/Espresso hipsters

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, G650 said:

Gotcha. I may just give it a miss then. I have an espresso machine, a Nespresso and a press. Was trying to get something easier to deal with than the press for just brewing a cup.

Have you tried an aeropress?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chopper said:

Have you tried an aeropress?

Yeah, not a super fan. Not sure why, just don't get on with it well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, G650 said:

To be completely forthright, my only motivation is ease and not necessarily quality.

Drip machines probably have come a long way, in that case.  I have a super automatic that I use on weekends and a 20 year old Cuisinart drip machine that just keeps chugging for my work day brews (and desire to see if drinking mostly filtered coffee makes a discernible difference in my cardiovascular health).  I did the semi auto espresso for years, but have since erred on the side of convenience.  Good beans and a good grind make up for my lack of effort to a degree.

Edited by dcbc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Drip machines probably have come a long way, in that case.  I have a super automatic that I use on weekends and a 20 year old Cuisinart drip machine that just keeps chugging for my work day brews (and desire to see if drinking mostly filtered coffee makes a discernible difference in my cardiovascular health).  I did the semi auto espresso for years, but have since erred on the side of convenience.  Good beans and a good grind make up for my lack of effort to a degree.

Yeah, it's certainly crossed my mind. The main issue I have with drip is getting enough body. I generally like the coffee to be strong enough to walk out of the cup and smack me in the face strong, and the only way I've managed that with drip is with fresh grinding beans on the spot. So it's doable but goes back to my laziness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, G650 said:

Yeah, it's certainly crossed my mind. The main issue I have with drip is getting enough body. I generally like the coffee to be strong enough to walk out of the cup and smack me in the face strong, and the only way I've managed that with drip is with fresh grinding beans on the spot. So it's doable but goes back to my laziness.


Take coffee, pour back into reservoir and run it again. It’ll walk. Couple more times and it will hold a spoon straight up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:


Take coffee, pour back into reservoir and run it again. It’ll walk. Couple more times and it will hold a spoon straight up. 

1987-10-20.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 12:44 PM, G650 said:

So what's the Surl thoughts on pour overs? They seem simple enough to me, but quite a bit written about technique and shit.

One vote for pour over. Took a bit of trial and error to get my ratio (g coffee : g water) and grinder setting dialed in, but pour over makes a very good cup. There is a bit of technique to pouring the water, but it isn’t hard to learn.  A gooseneck kettle is a must. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, G650 said:

Yeah, it's certainly crossed my mind. The main issue I have with drip is getting enough body. I generally like the coffee to be strong enough to walk out of the cup and smack me in the face strong, and the only way I've managed that with drip is with fresh grinding beans on the spot. So it's doable but goes back to my laziness.

I looked at a few after posting that.  Looks like there are some pretty precise temp controls, bloom delays, and other features that might make it worth a look. 

I get being lazy.  I definitely do not feel like putting in a lot of effort before I have had my coffee. 

Edited by dcbc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 12:44 PM, G650 said:

So what's the Surl thoughts on pour overs? They seem simple enough to me, but quite a bit written about technique and shit.

I have a Hario pour over rig with paper filters, hand grinder and freshly roasted coffee beans. I pour it over directly into my 20 oz Yeti cup.  Every day.  Great coffee.  I control the coffee/water ratio carefully and it is very repeatable. Takes a few minutes of your time each morning unlike an auto drip machine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CycleTex87 said:

I have a Hario pour over rig with paper filters, hand grinder and freshly roasted coffee beans. I pour it over directly into my 20 oz Yeti cup.  Every day.  Great coffee.  I control the coffee/water ratio carefully and it is very repeatable. Takes a few minutes of your time each morning unlike an auto drip machine. 

This was pretty much my thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I weigh my ingredients. I pour the water through the pour over with the cup sitting on the scale.  Easy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

I weigh my ingredients. I pour the water through the pour over with the cup sitting on the scale.  Easy. 

You are a true purist.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, G650 said:

1987-10-20.gif


 

I wasn‘t kidding though. Way back I used to work for this ol salt, and he wanted exactly that. He was second shift, and wanted coffee hot and ready when he got there. However his “direction” was to make a pot at 7am, and leave it on the warmer all day. 
 

Well fuck that. How else was the morning shift supposed to get any? One cup at 7am and that’s it? Hell no. So he got there about 2. Around 1, I’d make another pot, then run it back through twice. He never knew the difference.

Problem solved. 
 

I wouldn’t have drank it, but whatever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Got a new machine for the house.  It was a pain to plumb up RO water system and run 220V power.  Before anyone asks, I am aware this is a bit ridiculous for household kitchen:

https://imgur.com/9WG77FT

Go big or go home!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Got a new machine for the house.  It was a pain to plumb up RO water system and run 220V power.  Before anyone asks, I am aware this is a bit ridiculous for household kitchen:

https://imgur.com/9WG77FT

Damn; that’s a beautiful machine, a piece of art. Bet it pulls a great shot & texturizes milk in seconds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I’m leaning towards the breville barista express or the breville bambino plus. It looks like the major difference is the wand and grinder.   Is a built in grinder worth it? Are all grinders generally the same? Or are there huge differences in production quality between models/price points similar to the espresso machine themselves? 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The grind for espresso is a critical element to the quality of the shot. Not sure a built in grinder cuts the mustard.  Look at Rancilio Rocky for a good entry level grinder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So I’m leaning towards the breville barista express or the breville bambino plus. It looks like the major difference is the wand and grinder.   Is a built in grinder worth it? Are all grinders generally the same? Or are there huge differences in production quality between models/price points similar to the espresso machine themselves? 
 
We have the barista touch and it is fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

The grind for espresso is a critical element to the quality of the shot. Not sure a built in grinder cuts the mustard.  Look at Rancilio Rocky for a good entry level grinder. 

A friend of mine had a similar Breville with the built in burr grinder.  It was very good as were the shots from the machine.  I have a Gaggia Brera and the built in burr grinder is every bit as good as my old Gaggia MDF grinder.  The Rocky is a great grinder, but saving space with a good built in isn't the worst thing.

Edited by dcbc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A friend of mine had a similar Breville with the built in burr grinder.  It was very good as were the shots from the machine.  I have a Gaggia Brera and the built in burr grinder is every bit as good as my old Gaggia MDF grinder.  The Rocky is a great grinder, but saving space with a good built in isn't the worst thing.
Our Breville has a built in burr grinder and pulls a very nice shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My bonavita drip coffee maker died last week after only 7 years of use. I loved the quality of coffee it produced, but the new ones seem to get terrible reviews. Any recs for a new machine? Looking for something simple with at least 8 cup capacity, thermal carafe, and preferably a timer that can be set for autobrewing in the morning. 

We replaced our Bonavita with a Technovorm Moccamaster and we are loving it. It has a physical on/off switch, which lends itself to connecting to a smart plug. I ask Alexa to turn off the coffee pot as soon as I wake up and the pot is ready by the time I make it to the kitchen.

Like the Bonavita, it’s certified by the SCAA and makes a pour over like pot of coffee in a thermal carafe that stays hot for hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...