If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

First, no Ticket host says “we” or “us”. Second, fans of teams do, but we aren’t professional media. Third, I don’t care that her goofy bearded husband is employed by them. At some point in the future he won’t be. It is unprofessional for her to do that. 
She bugs me. She isn’t press box hot, either. 

How’d you feel about Dave South?

On 8/17/2020 at 12:53 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

First, no Ticket host says “we” or “us”. Second, fans of teams do, but we aren’t professional media. Third, I don’t care that her goofy bearded husband is employed by them. At some point in the future he won’t be. It is unprofessional for her to do that. 

She bugs me. She isn’t press box hot, either. 

k

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Tweeting is different than forcing it on air. At every opportunity possible. Bob irritates in other ways. The more I listen to the Hard Line, Bob is the one lately mostly culpable for their choppy chemistry. 

Shut the fuck up. This is a bad take. Let it go. We all say we when we talk about the horns. Jesus Christ. Sit a few plays out. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

About Julie?  Nah, I don’t think I will. We aren’t media professionals. Media professionals, while on the job (not tweeting), don’t constantly try and force feed to their audience that they used to be employed by an organization and that their spouse works for them. It’s not so much “we”; it’s more that. But speaking of we, when’s the last time you’ve heard Way or Sham or Cooperstein say “we”. A bit of different role as PBP guy, but they don’t. It’s Julie’s way of hanging with the guys and is annoying as fuck.  

you’re really going to get on a girl, who knows what she’s talking about more than the other hosts, shit for trying to hang with the guys? She’s been on the air for what a year. If you hate all the shows so much, stop listening.  And stop posting about it. This is a minute detail that is not a problem. We thank you to never post again. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Fun fact:  Frisco has a hidden limestone quarry

https://www.visitfrisco.com/blog/post/best-parks-in-frisco/#:~:text=Perhaps the best kept secret,and below the play area.

Perhaps the best kept secret in Frisco, Limestone Quarry Park appears to be a traditional outdoor park at first glance- swings, slides, play structures, covered pavilion, the works. But the real hidden gem here is behind and below the play area. Follow the small, unmarked path through the trees directly behind the bench and you’ll find a Frisco oasis- Limestone Quarry. Here, the small creek runs clear and cool, complete with a waterfall, swimming hole, and plenty of skipping rocks. Pro tip: Have everyone wear water shoes or tennis shoes that can get wet- those limestone rocks can be tough on the feet!

Edited by mdleast

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Oh boy, “What’s on Mike’s Mind” podcast coming to The Athletic. Called “Square One with Mike Rhyner.”

not shocked its at The Athletic - here is the link if you have a sub and it looks like it is being fed already into some of the bigger RSS feeds (did a quick search in my podcasting app and it's there already)

Here's the article:

https://theathletic.com/2012586/2020/08/21/mike-rhyner-how-i-arrived-at-square-one-with-my-new-teammates-at-the-athletic/

I never said it.

Go back and look.

The ‘R’ word. Retire. It was somebody else’s word. Never mine.

When I posted the video on January 6, 2020, advising one and all that I was not coming back to my post at the Ticket, I didn’t couch it as retiring. I merely said I was stepping away from my gig at the radio station. At no time in there do I say the word ‘retire,’ ‘retiring,’ ‘retirement’ or any of its other forms.

also the countdown was a noncompete lol

But first, there was that crazy little thing called the non-compete clause.

I didn’t think that would be a player, as a podcast is not over the air. Cumulus Media informed me otherwise and that if I did this, I would be in violation.

This caught me by surprise. I didn’t — and still don’t — see any point of contention between a podcast, which lives online, and over-the-air terrestrial radio. There are a ton of podcasts out there, and if the radio station was ever concerned with any, that was news to me.

Spoiler

Mike Rhyner: How I arrived at Square One with my new teammates at The Athletic

rhynes-3-e1598017741774-1024x681.jpg
By Mike Rhyner 46m ago comment-icon.png 11 save-icon.png

I never said it.

Go back and look.

When I posted the video on January 6, 2020, advising one and all that I was not coming back to my post at the Ticket, I didn’t couch it as retiring. I merely said I was stepping away from my gig at the radio station. At no time in there do I say the word ‘retire,’ ‘retiring,’ ‘retirement’ or any of its other forms.

Still, I was very mindful that it might turn out to be just that. I had no idea where I was going, what I would do or even if anyone would want me to do anything.

And that was the way most people framed it. They assumed that anytime someone of a certain age does something like that, they’re retiring. They took it and ran with it. I thought about saying, ‘No, I’m not retiring’. Something told me ‘Don’t do that. Let them take it and run with it if they want.’

And don’t get me wrong — I’m not pissed off by any of this. It’s just how things are. I get that.

Still, I was staring into an enormous chasm. Deep, blue, great, wide-open. And I was not afraid. It was kind of invigorating. We’d see what was next. That was down the road.

That down the road lasted three days. On January 9, I found myself sitting at the Lakewood Landing — come back, Landing!! — with Or Moyal and Kent Garrison.

Or had been around; he spent some time at WFAA producing Dale Hansen’s sportscasts and running their online sports scene. I didn’t know Kent at all.

But I did know The Athletic. And I dug The Athletic — lots. That’s where they were plying their craft these days, on the editorial/management side. They had something to talk to me about.

I didn’t know what that could be. I was not known much for writing about sports. That was not what they were thinking. They wanted me in their podcast space.

This excited me. I was not turned on by terrestrial radio, but the podcast thing was something I was probably going to look into one way or another, assuming I did anything at all.

But I didn’t get the allure of a neither-fish-nor-fowl, sometimes-sportsy, sometimes-not guy like me for them. I told them that I was all over the place. They said, ‘Fine; we want What’s On Mike’s Mind.’

That was all I needed to hear. I was in.

I didn’t think that would be a player, as a podcast is not over the air. Cumulus Media informed me otherwise and that if I did this, I would be in violation.

This caught me by surprise. I didn’t — and still don’t — see any point of contention between a podcast, which lives online, and over-the-air terrestrial radio. There are a ton of podcasts out there, and if the radio station was ever concerned with any, that was news to me.

I thought about fighting it and talked to a few attorneys. They told me different things, but they all arrived at the same conclusion: This all comes down to who adjudicates the case and how he or she views non-competes. Some hate ‘em and live for the opportunity to smash ‘em. Others view them as a legitimate way for a business to protect itself. Still others will be on one side or the other, but look at you and say, ‘Did you know that was in there when you signed the contract?’ And I did. I just never thought it would matter.

But one of those attorneys stopped things down, looked at me and said, ‘Look — I know who you are; I know what you’ve been doing.  You’ve been in the grind for 26 years, and it’s not like this is a one-year or two-year non-compete. If you can take some time and do nothing and ride this thing out, that would be the best thing for you.’

And I could. So I did.

That’s over now. It’s time to get about the business of a new scene at the Athletic. I hope you’ll subscribe, and I hope you’ll check out ‘Square One with Mike Rhyner.’ It’ll include conversations with people I have gotten to know as well as people I don’t know but am curious about. I will have some of the other guys who write for The Athletic on, guys I know and have great regard for such as Levi Weaver, Jamey Newberg, Tim Cato, Saad Yousuf and Jon Machota, just to name a few. And it’ll be a lot of ‘What’s On Mike’s Mind,’ where I pontificate on who knows what, just as I used to do.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Mike Rhyner: How I arrived at Square One with my new teammates at The Athletic
rhynes-3-e1598017741774-1024x681.jpg

By Mike Rhyner 46m ago comment-icon.png 11 save-icon.png

I never said it.

Go back and look.

Still, I was very mindful that it might turn out to be just that. I had no idea where I was going, what I would do or even if anyone would want me to do anything.

And that was the way most people framed it. They assumed that anytime someone of a certain age does something like that, they’re retiring. They took it and ran with it. I thought about saying, ‘No, I’m not retiring’. Something told me ‘Don’t do that. Let them take it and run with it if they want.’

And don’t get me wrong — I’m not pissed off by any of this. It’s just how things are. I get that.

Still, I was staring into an enormous chasm. Deep, blue, great, wide-open. And I was not afraid. It was kind of invigorating. We’d see what was next. That was down the road.

That down the road lasted three days. On January 9, I found myself sitting at the Lakewood Landing — come back, Landing!! — with Or Moyal and Kent Garrison.

Or had been around; he spent some time at WFAA producing Dale Hansen’s sportscasts and running their online sports scene. I didn’t know Kent at all.

But I did know The Athletic. And I dug The Athletic — lots. That’s where they were plying their craft these days, on the editorial/management side. They had something to talk to me about.

I didn’t know what that could be. I was not known much for writing about sports. That was not what they were thinking. They wanted me in their podcast space.

This excited me. I was not turned on by terrestrial radio, but the podcast thing was something I was probably going to look into one way or another, assuming I did anything at all.

But I didn’t get the allure of a neither-fish-nor-fowl, sometimes-sportsy, sometimes-not guy like me for them. I told them that I was all over the place. They said, ‘Fine; we want What’s On Mike’s Mind.’

That was all I needed to hear. I was in.

I thought about fighting it and talked to a few attorneys. They told me different things, but they all arrived at the same conclusion: This all comes down to who adjudicates the case and how he or she views non-competes. Some hate ‘em and live for the opportunity to smash ‘em. Others view them as a legitimate way for a business to protect itself. Still others will be on one side or the other, but look at you and say, ‘Did you know that was in there when you signed the contract?’ And I did. I just never thought it would matter.

But one of those attorneys stopped things down, looked at me and said, ‘Look — I know who you are; I know what you’ve been doing.  You’ve been in the grind for 26 years, and it’s not like this is a one-year or two-year non-compete. If you can take some time and do nothing and ride this thing out, that would be the best thing for you.’

And I could. So I did.

That’s over now. It’s time to get about the business of a new scene at the Athletic. I hope you’ll subscribe, and I hope you’ll check out ‘Square One with Mike Rhyner.’ It’ll include conversations with people I have gotten to know as well as people I don’t know but am curious about. I will have some of the other guys who write for The Athletic on, guys I know and have great regard for such as Levi Weaver, Jamey Newberg, Tim Cato, Saad Yousuf and Jon Machota, just to name a few. And it’ll be a lot of ‘What’s On Mike’s Mind,’ where I pontificate on who knows what, just as I used to do.

Can’t be said enough — fuck Cumulus
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've never been able to get into the podcast thing.  When it comes to talk, I need it to be live or I'm really not interested.  It's a connection thing for me I guess.  But I do listen to the Top Ten during evenings when I haven't been able to listen throughout the day, so go figure that.  But there's still technically the live aspect to it (Top Ten) being on terrestrial radio.  I don't know, OCD shit.

Dan McDowell's "Music of His Life" survey

Hates: Bob Seger

Overrated: Credence Clearwater Revival

Underrated: Meat Loaf

Loves: Bee Gees

Could listen to over and over: Kanye West

Made him fall in love with music: Beatles

Changed his life: Pink Flyod

Surprised him: James Taylor

Guilty Pleasure: "Teenage girl" music (Ke$ha, Kelis, Meghan Trainor, Hannah Montana); Honorable mention: Urban Cowboy soundtrack

Should’ve seen live by now: Todd Rundgren

Great to see live: Grateful Dead (only "two songs worth a crap" -- think they were "Shades of Grey" and "Trucking")

Generic Youth Minister was a Gordo classic. He knocked that so far out of the park it ain't ever gonna land. He reached way down into The Rant zone when he wrote that.

Oh, and Dan is trolling you hard. When will you learn?

Edited by RPM

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

So do I have this straight -- Hard Line gets Joel Klatt and BaD Radio winds up with Greg McElroy? Or is this a one-off interview with McElroy?

Only heard the tail end of the interview, but when I started listening, McElroy referenced Chappie unprompted.  Is Greg a P1 or did I just miss something earlier in the segment?

Edited by LonghornSean

1 minute ago, LonghornSean said:

Only heard the tail end of the interview, but when I started listening, McElroy referenced Chappie unprompted.  Is Greg a P1?

Dan and a little bit Jake are clowning McElroy a bit on return so I'm guessing it was a one-off. Dan is convinced he was "Toothing" during the interview.

Edited by C-Man