Jump to content
Sbbruin

The Andy Griffith Show

Recommended Posts

the "feud" episode.  Wakefields vs. Carters.  Mr. Wakefield is on the front porch shooting a 30-30 in the general direction of the Carters.  Fucking Beagle behind him on the table cracks me up every time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“It’s a short walk, and it’ll be the last you’ll be a using them(legs)”. 

Watched it last night, also.  Top5 episode for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The spoiled kid episode, Andy asks the father if he needed a quiet place to talk to his son.

"We got a woodshed out back that's pretty quiet" wink wink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dewey said:

The spoiled kid episode, Andy asks the father if he needed a quiet place to talk to his son.

"We got a woodshed out back that's pretty quiet" wink wink

Why do you support child abuse so much  ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Why do you support child abuse so much  ?

Because it worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching “Barney’s Bloodhound “ where Barney has the mutt he tries to turn into a tracker.  Don Knotts was amazing by Season 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched “Citizens Arrest” on MeTV.  So classic when Otis comes in all shitbagged, and starts digging at Barney.  “Barney’s in jail!  Barney’s in jail!”  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

714bcd288e32c2d975299ee2b908847a.jpg

I always knew there was a dark spirit hiding behind that aw shucks facade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

glare from the light on the ceiling.  

Turn the light off or take the photo from a different angle. Are you watching tv with that glare all the time?

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

who the fuck cares? The dog is what's important. 

Take some pride in your work. Composition matters. At least you didn't shoot it in portrait mode. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

After running through all the black/white episodes in order early this year and being a fan of this show since a child, I wanted to find some literature on stories of the cast behind the scenes. Anyone have any good recommendations on books that touch on this? I think I read that one of the cast members has a tell all book but it's written from a vindictive perspective because they didn't feel they were treated right.

Edited by Vic Mackey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

After running through all the black/white episodes in order early this year and being a fan of this show since a child, I wanted to find some literature on stories of the cast behind the scenes. Anyone have any good recommendations on books that touch on this? I think I read that one of the cast members has a tell all book but it's written from a vindictive perspective because they didn't feel they were treated right.

No, but there's a lot of stuff online.  It was well known Aunt Bee didn't really get along with Andy IRL.  Thought he was a taskmaster and a dick, and I guess there wasn't a lot of disputing that.  And Barney was an apparent ladies man.  Rumors of him packing a Milton Berle hog.  But that could be legend.  But had to be something Thelma Lou saw in him.  She was way above his league imo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Barney is ragey that they installed a stamp machine at the post office.  He doesn't think the government should be tranactin' business through a slot machine.  He is so mad he even wrote a letter to the Postmaster General about it.  He didn't mail it though.  He refused to buy a stamp from that machine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

No, but there's a lot of stuff online.  It was well known Aunt Bee didn't really get along with Andy IRL.  Thought he was a taskmaster and a dick, and I guess there wasn't a lot of disputing that.  And Barney was an apparent ladies man.  Rumors of him packing a Milton Berle hog.  But that could be legend.  But had to be something Thelma Lou saw in him.  She was way above his league imo.  

Yeah, story goes that Barney was hung like Tommy Lee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

So Barney is ragey that they installed a stamp machine at the post office.  He doesn't think the government should be tranactin' business through a slot machine.  He is so mad he even wrote a letter to the Postmaster General about it.  He didn't mail it though.  He refused to buy a stamp from that machine. 

I feel like I've seen every episode 6 bajillion times, and this one doesn't ring a bell.  Is it in color?  If so, that probably explains it - I usually don't waste my time with those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no, it's B&W.  It's the one where the Mayor drafts Andy and Barney to dispose of the old, rusty cannon that's in town square.  Andy ends up bullshitting an antique dealer about it belonging to Teddy Roosevelt, and then gets guilted by Opie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny, I've seen them all a million times but that conversation never stuck in my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 12:15 PM, Vic Mackey said:

After running through all the black/white episodes in order early this year and being a fan of this show since a child, I wanted to find some literature on stories of the cast behind the scenes. Anyone have any good recommendations on books that touch on this? I think I read that one of the cast members has a tell all book but it's written from a vindictive perspective because they didn't feel they were treated right.

In 9 days?  That's impressive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Underdog said:

In 9 days?  That's impressive. 

Lol. Keep forgetting we are in a new year. Early 2019 I did this. Although I stopped after the black/white episodes. Never watched any of the colored episodes (no racist) and don't really care to. I hear Andy gets even more ornery and irritated with everyone as he did towards the end of the black/white episodes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to wondering who the bluegrass family actually was, ends up a family band from Salem Mo., save for the father and daughter. The 3 guys sitting on the bed, playing music were a real blue grass band, their songs (appeared in a handful of episodes) .... Talking about the episode where we first meet Ernest T Bass. 

Anyways, it's my favorite show, 2 episodes every night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I got to wondering who the bluegrass family actually was, ends up a family band from Salem Mo., save for the father and daughter. The 3 guys sitting on the bed, playing music were a real blue grass band, their songs (appeared in a handful of episodes) .... Talking about the episode where we first meet Ernest T Bass. 

Anyways, it's my favorite show, 2 episodes every night

Yep, the Dillards IIRC.  Except for Briscoe and Charlene of course

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 1:10 PM, Native Horn said:

I feel like I've seen every episode 6 bajillion times, and this one doesn't ring a bell.  Is it in color?  If so, that probably explains it - I usually don't waste my time with those.

It's in season 1, about episode 8 or 9?  My 17 yo has gotten hooked on this show, so we've started from the beginning.  Odd thing is, as long as I have been exposed to this series, I don't remember seeing most of the season 1 episodes in reruns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lol. Keep forgetting we are in a new year. Early 2019 I did this. Although I stopped after the black/white episodes. Never watched any of the colored episodes (no racist) and don't really care to. I hear Andy gets even more ornery and irritated with everyone as he did towards the end of the black/white episodes.

More importantly Barney left after season 5, so no point in watching after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

More importantly Barney left after season 5, so no point in watching after that.

Agreed. The show hit its peak when Barney hit his peak which was into season 2-4. Early on, Barney was more lowkey and less zany. And the episodes while good, were not the same as when Barney rounded into form. Barney made the show for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the first few episodes were written with Andy as a clownish character. Then, they all realized that Don Knotts was a comedic force, and decided to have Andy be the straight man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Watching “The Haunted House” on ME TV right now.  One of my top 3 for sure.

"Slow down and let me in or I'll go out and get some gin"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checkpoint Chickie is my all time favorite. The best father/son episodes are Opie The Birdman and Mr. Mc Beevee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only tangentially related, but if anybody gets a chance to see the movie that put Andy Griffith on the map, "A Face in the Crowd,"  WATCH it.  Really a great movie and a different side of Andy's acting chops.  Directed by the immortal Elia Kazan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Only tangentially related, but if anybody gets a chance to see the movie that put Andy Griffith on the map, "A Face in the Crowd,"  WATCH it.  Really a great movie and a different side of Andy's acting chops.  Directed by the immortal Elia Kazan.

Another great example of his acting chops post AGS is the little seen 1974 TV movie Savages. Andy is an evil motherfucker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barney got kicked out of the boarding house, and now he's trying to fuck Thelma Lou in the courthouse, and Andy and Opie cockblock him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Barney got kicked out of the boarding house, and now he's trying to fuck Thelma Lou in the courthouse, and Andy and Opie cockblock him.

Man, I need to get a different cable provider. My guide channel has a completely different program description for that episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 1:15 PM, Underdog said:

In 9 days?  That's impressive. 

Those cholas he fucks don't get that big from exercise.

On 1/9/2020 at 6:16 PM, Vic Mackey said:

 Barney made the show for me.

Barney made the show for everyone, sir.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Oh shit.

It’s “citizen’s arrest”

Swear I'm not watching tonight's episode, but that phrase popped in my head as I clicked on the thread title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surly program guide? I smell profit. Well, I smell something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 9:55 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Don't use your flash when taking pictures of the TV. 

That's his laser on this AR-15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 8:21 PM, RPM said:

Another great example of his acting chops post AGS is the little seen 1974 TV movie Savages. Andy is an evil motherfucker.

I seen that one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Barney is selling real estate, so this hits close to home. 

NBA trades are modeled on that episode. Barney would have been a great Hornets GM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...