USMNT 2018

Ted Lange

38 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Donovan also took a year off before the World Cup to see if he wanted to keep playing. 

I don’t have a problem with Chandler telling Wood to rest and recover. Wood played all summer through injuries and went back to Hamburg and struggled through an injury filled season that killed his confidence.

Gulati was useless but so is 99% of US Soccer. It’s a corrupt organization that really only cares about making money.

i felt that there wasn't enough emphasis put on donovan's decision to take that sabbatical. i still vacillate on jurgen's decision to cut him, because of that. but in the end, i think he had to bring him to keep the squad's mentality up. however, the way it's described in the article as to how he cut the players: that's just a bullshit way of going about that. 

47 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Donovan also took a year off before the World Cup to see if he wanted to keep playing. 

I don’t have a problem with Chandler telling Wood to rest and recover. Wood played all summer through injuries and went back to Hamburg and struggled through an injury filled season that killed his confidence.

Gulati was useless but so is 99% of US Soccer. It’s a corrupt organization that really only cares about making money.

And Donovan is just as much of a thin skinned bitch that JK is/was. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Didn't Tim Howard do the same thing re: taking time off?  

As per Chandler... f that.  If you're going to be a little bitch at least keep it to yourself.  Screw a veteran player telling a younger American to take it easy.  If you're going to do that, then just refuse the call up.  

Agree with your last point.

6 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I may be misremembering, but I thought Howard had done basically the same thing as Donovan, yet he got absolutely no flack from JK upon his return and walked right in as the starter - or at least the two deep.  

I thought that it was after 2014 that he took time off. 

Then, in late 2015, after skipping the Gold Cup... and maybe the playoff vs Mexico to go to the Confederations Cup, Howard said that he was ready to come back. Klinsmann didn't give him the #1, but did allow him back in the 23... because he didn't have anyone anywhere close to backup Guzan, but Guzan continued to be the #1. Then, two games into qualifying, Klinsman was gone.

That's how I remember it.  (Don't feel like doing the research.)

For folks who enjoy podcasts 

https://www.wnycstudios.org/shows/american-fiasco

WNYC Studios presents American Fiasco, the story of a team that believed it was their destiny to win the biggest prize in soccer - the World Cup. 

After their giddy success of hosting the 1994 World Cup, a wildly ambitious U.S. men's soccer team swaggered onto the international stage, ready to win it all. But when they arrived at the 1998 World Cup, they were forced to face their toughest opponent yet: themselves. 

Now, 20 years after their last place finish, the team opens up about what happened. In this 12-part series, Roger Bennett, host of the Men in Blazers podcast interviews more than 30 players, coaches, and media personalities about how not to win a World Cup. 

American Fiasco begins on June 4. Listen wherever you get your podcasts. 

11 hours ago, skipperj said:

It’s a bit depressing with the WC coming up, but Roger Bennet’s American Fiasco podcast is a great listen. I don’t think I saw it here, but if so, don’t care. Get it on your favorite podcast app.

You did see it here, 2 post up and you replied to it in your previous post....

• Haha 1

the admiral's 1998 quick reference guide:

Steve Sampson.

3-6-1.

Harkes Captain for Life.

Harkes & Waldo's wife.

Möller.

Burns (prevented a US goal guarding the German post, one of only 2 US chances in the game).

Hejduk (replaces Burns, and had the 2nd US chance in the game).

Klinsmann.

US hits wood 5 times against Iran.  Five. 5.

If the US had played Germany last, different story.

Same with Jürgen in the hex.

Same with Portugal in our 2014 group.

Your draw determines your fate.

If you open hard, you better draw, or you're toast.

+++

The only thing Jürgen did wrong in his tenure was playing open in San Jose on Hexday 2.  He should have recognized the event horizon of a loss to Mexico in Columbus and parked the bus.  It would have saved his job, and for better or worse, we'd have US Full International Football this month.

I really thought missing a world cup would embarrass the cabal in to action, but 8 months and a federation election behind us, it's obvious it's not happening.

That Ringer article is a joke.  Players that failed to qualify can take responsibility or blame Klinnsman with no repercussions.  What will they choose?

Klinnsman would have qualified us at least.  F Sunil and f Arena

• Like 2

I've watched quite a bit of the Columbus Crew vs NY Red Bull and I feel fairly confident that if Gregg Berhalter gets the nod to be the next head coach of the USMNT, Gyasi Zardes will be called into the January Camp.

After playing various midfielders, wings, wide forward positions, he is playing the #9 (while wearing the #11) for Columbus and looks good doing it. This is what he first excelled at, being a target forward who was very good in the air.

He's already got a goal from a header today, hit the post on another header, and is constantly getting into dangerous positions. He's 26 (though turns 27 in September) and leads the MLS in goal by an American. (Got his 10th today.) He'll be looked at as depth at the #9 and I don't mind it one bit. I don't want him playing anywhere but in the #9 position, but if he gets to play there, he is definitely serviceable. I would rather have him than Jozy. Jozy occasionally shows that he has fancy footwork, but he is playing at about 15 to 20 pounds (mostly muscle) more than he should be and his body continually breaks down because of it. He also has zero stamina.

Also, it is obvious that NY Red Bull desperately need Tyler Adams in the midfield, because they are getting crushed there, but hopefully Tyler will be off to Europe in a month or two.