USMNT 2018

Ted Lange

6 hours ago, shnsajax said:

When is Adams leaving? Transfer is already complete isn’t it?

Nothing is official. 

The feeling is that he will stay within the Red Bull family with most people writing that Salzburg (Austria) is the Red Bull that he would go to.

Will it be this summer? Will it be over the winter transfer window? Will it actually happen?... who knows!

Most probably there won't be much actually happening during the World Cup, but maybe the players whose countries are NOT in the World Cup will see a little more movement than players who are in Russia.

On 6/11/2018 at 2:27 AM, Napoleon said:

Nothing is official. 

The feeling is that he will stay within the Red Bull family with most people writing that Salzburg (Austria) is the Red Bull that he would go to.

Will it be this summer? Will it be over the winter transfer window? Will it actually happen?... who knows!

Most probably there won't be much actually happening during the World Cup, but maybe the players whose countries are NOT in the World Cup will see a little more movement than players who are in Russia.

Austria? Might as well stay in MLS. We saw how well Austria worked out for Terrence Boyd.

Edited by SimonBolivar

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Austria? Might as well stay in MLS. We saw how well Austria worked out for Terrence Boyd.

It wasn’t Austria, it was Terrance Boyd. 

RB Salzburg did very well in the UEFA Cup and the RB family is a pretty efficient machine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We can all rest easier now. Interim USMNT Head Coach Dave Sarachan's contract has been extended through to the end of the year.

A cheer went out of apartment windows similar to the World Cup videos that have been posted recently.

U.S. Soccer extends contract of national team interim coach Dave Sarachan

r344780_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cqualit

U.S. Soccer has extended the contract of men's national team interim coach Dave Sarachan though the end of the year.

Sarachan's deal had been set to expire this month, and the move gives the USSF more time to find a permanent replacement. The federation confirmed that a new coach could still be hired before the end of the year.

Sarachan was Bruce Arena's top assistant and took over when Arena resigned last October after the loss at Trinidad and Tobago caused the Americans to miss their first World Cup since 1986.

The U.S. has waited to appoint a permanent replacement until after the USSF presidential election -- Carlos Cordeiro replaced Sunil Gulati as USSF president in February -- and the appointment of a men's team general manager.

The USSF hired Earnie Stewart to start as GM on Aug. 1, and the former midfielder will recommend a new coach to the USSF board. A timetable for the search has yet to be given...

http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states/story/3549403/us-soccer-extends-contract-of-national-team-interim-coach-dave-sarachan

• 3 weeks later...

Any Dallas folks have any insight on this kid?

Bayern Munich sign FC Dallas defender Chris Richards on loan

The young Alabama native impressed the club so much, he’ll spend the next six months developing on Bayern’s U19 team.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2018/7/9/17548804/bayern-munich-sign-american-fc-dallas-defender-center-back-chris-richards-loan-u19-jochen-sauer

22 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Pulisic scores twice vs Liverpool today, got fouled and converted the PKand this.  

The highlights for the full match right here. (Christian was instrumental in all 3 goals after coming on at halftime.)

VIDEO:  http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=24168877

Dortmund's next match is in Pittsburgh on Wednesday. They should feel at home playing in Christian's home state and in a city that's colors are Black & Yellow. All of Pittsburgh's pro sports teams use those colors and Dortmund should feel right at home in Heinze Field.

1473279298-heinz-field-tickets.jpg?p=1

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 2

On 7/15/2018 at 8:41 AM, Ted Lange said:

Any Dallas folks have any insight on this kid?

Bayern Munich sign FC Dallas defender Chris Richards on loan

The young Alabama native impressed the club so much, he’ll spend the next six months developing on Bayern’s U19 team.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2018/7/9/17548804/bayern-munich-sign-american-fc-dallas-defender-center-back-chris-richards-loan-u19-jochen-sauer

11 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The highlights for the full match right here. (Christian was instrumental in all 3 goals after coming on at halftime.)

VIDEO:  http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=24168877

Dortmund's next match is in Pittsburgh on Wednesday. They should feel at home playing in Christian's home state and in a city that's colors are Black & Yellow. All of Pittsburgh's pro sports teams use those colors and Dortmund should feel right at home in Heinze Field.

1473279298-heinz-field-tickets.jpg?p=1

I was thinking of heading down for that game.

6 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I'm hoping that this partnership will convince youth players to go ahead and sign with FC Dallas because they know that the old days of holding onto you for years before selling you to Europe are over.

FC Dallas (or maybe it was even when they were the Dallas Burn) had a relationship with a Brazilian team... I think that it was Clube Atlético Paranaense in Curitiba for a few years, but I think that kids in the U.S. would rather go play with a youth squad in Europe than in Brazil.

The Home Grown Player Paxton Pomkal is another kid who could use game time to keep from having his development stunted. I'd think that many European U-19 teams would be better than suiting up at anything less than the MLS in the U.S.

Weston McKennie absolutely made the right call when he declined an offer to sign with FC Dallas as a youth player, but the current system screws over FC Dallas for developing a player who then signs for free with another pro club. Hopefully this partnership offers a bridge that improves HGPs and sees proper compensation for developing the kids up until that point.

• Like 1

Hope this works out as Richards two years ago was spotted on a ODP team from Alabama by a DA coach (Houston Texans).  He played part of year on HT's U16 team before moving to U18s.  U18s then won DA championship for 17.  Two best players left HT to play for FCD DA's for 17-18.   ODP to non-MLS DA to MLS DA to Germany.  Let's keep the pathways open.

http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/fc-dallas-homegrown-chris-richards-aiming-high-on-loan-at-bayern-s-u-19s

• Like 1

I just finished Roger Bennett's 10-episode podcast on the USMNT 1998 World Cup disaster, "American Fiasco". Holy shit those dudes were a bunch of spoiled children. Almost to a man it's 100% blaming someone else, anything else. The hotel they stayed at was boring? A poker game caused tension between the players? GTFOH with that shit. Very, very little professionalism.

Marcelo Balboa comes across the worst. Even today he's still salty. Bennett just keeps on handing him more rope to hang himself with and he just keeps on taking it. Lalas at least seems to realize today that he maybe, just maybe, might not have acted in the most professional way in '98. About the only person that comes across decently is Frankie Hejduk. Hope we don't have to wait 20 years for an examination of 2018's shitshow.

7 hours ago, tokamak said:

I just finished Roger Bennett's 10-episode podcast on the USMNT 1998 World Cup disaster, "American Fiasco". Holy shit those dudes were a bunch of spoiled children...

Hope we don't have to wait 20 years for an examination of 2018's shitshow.

No need to wait another minute. 

Bruce Arena has already written a book explaining how it was everyone else's fault that the U.S. didn't qualify.

He also frequently does interviews and/or tweets about how others are to blame.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Hard to tell with a low camera but he looks a lot bigger. Good to see.

He also looks like he's actually running, so that's a plus as well.

Crazy to think that at one point he was going to be our next big hope and now he's been passed by 2 to 3 guys younger than he is and will likely never make a meaningful U.S. squad.

Its taken over a year , but I feel like I’m excited about watching/following the team again.   We have some interesting friendlies in Sep & Nov Brazil, Mexico, England, Italy.  Next summer we have the Gold Cup and the beginning of WC qualifying. 

Then there is U21s and hopefully the Olympics

There are are so many interesting  young players, it’s hard to keep track of.  It’s hard to guess who’ll be starting next fall for the first round of WC qualifying, much less 2022.  

Now let’s hire a coach.

Edited by Ted Lange

Crazy to think that at one point he was going to be our next big hope and now he's been passed by 2 to 3 guys younger than he is and will likely never make a meaningful U.S. squad.

I still have some hope for him, but at this point anything he does is a bonus.

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

i wouldn't say it's likely, as he's still young; he just has an uphill battle that requires a lot of health and success before he looks like a viable player for us again. that said his composure on the ball and first touch are things that this team has sorely lacked ever since i can remember, so i hope he can get it together and become a serviceable deep lying mf for us.

35 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

It will be tough if he goes to Chelsea though. His transfer is really starting to heat up with Chelsea, Real, Liverpool, and Bayern all talking. 

Please, please, please dear lord baby Jesus don't let him go to one of those giants to just end up riding the pine and then getting loaned out to a team in the Austrian league or whatever.

Maybe the danger of that is very low and I'm overreacting, but that is about the last thing he needs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

i wouldn't say it's likely, as he's still young; he just has an uphill battle that requires a lot of health and success before he looks like a viable player for us again. that said his composure on the ball and first touch are things that this team has sorely lacked ever since i can remember, so i hope he can get it together and become a serviceable deep lying mf for us.

I hope Zelalem goes out on loan this year.  Glad to see him up and running again, but there seem to be a lot of other young guys ahead of him in the pecking order in the Arsenal midfield. Not a lot of playing time in his future if he stays . . . even in meaningless cup games.   

6 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

I hope Zelalem goes out on loan this year.  Glad to see him up and running again, but there seem to be a lot of other young guys ahead of him in the pecking order in the Arsenal midfield. Not a lot of playing time in his future if he stays . . . even in meaningless cup games.   

I can't imagine him not going out on loan. I would be very happy if he could land a place in the Championship League or anywhere in Holland or Spain. He seemed well liked at Rangers two years ago. 

I quickly looked at the difference in size of the two metropolitan areas of Nantes & Caen and I think that Matt made the right choice.

You don't go to Europe be a local celebrity in a town of 100,000 people.

Caen has a bit under 110,000 people vs Nantes having a metro area population of a little over 900,000.*

*according to Wiki

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I quickly looked at the difference in size of the two metropolitan areas of Nantes & Caen and I think that Matt made the right choice.

You don't go to Europe be a local celebrity in a town of 100,000 people.

Caen has a bit under 110,000 people vs Nantes having a metro area population of a little over 900,000.*

*according to Wiki

Nantes is traditionally a bigger club than Caen and Bedoya had some success there.

Sorry.  I was already drinking when I posted the above about Weah.  What I  meant to say was that he truly looked like he belonged with the first team.  I've watched almost 20 years of debuts by the next great US soccer player.  Most of the time, the player makes a play, but you can tell he's not ready.  If I didn't know who he was, I would have assumed he was a regular on the team as he was making just as many plays as di Maria and Neymar.  Pulisic is the only other player I can recall that looked settled in his debut.

7 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Anyone sleeping on Sargent is going to get a wake up call.  Kid is the truth.  I get the hype behind Weah because of his dad but Sargent puts up numbers wherever he goes.

Weah Hype is due to:

-Dad
-Club
-Speed

Hopefully he is constantly improving his touch and the timing of his runs, because he's already big enough and is probably already about as fast as he will ever be.

I wouldn't expect Sargent to spend too much time on the U-23s. He's got the body, the power, the quickness, and the game smarts to play in the first team as soon as he learns the team's system.