USMNT 2018

Ted Lange

3 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

FYI- Born in Greensboro, North Carolina, Busio joined the Sporting Kansas City academy in 2016 from North Carolina Fusion.

Busio is of Italian descent through his Brescia-born father, and holds Italian citizenship.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gianluca_Busio

I don't think that the US needs to worry about Busio playing for Italy, but it is good to see that he doesn't have any qualifying impediment to playing in Europe. It would be nice to see him train in Europe after the season if he doesn't have any U-17 commitments. He's a guy who could probably play in both the U-17 & U-20 World Cups next year, but since he has already collected an MLS start (in only his 2nd MLS appearance), his situation is different than Josh Sargent's. I doubt that Sporting KC will be excited to let go of him for both World Cups, and especially not qualifying for both Cups.

Edited by Napoleon

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

excellent news. And yes he is Claudio’s son.

Saw the ESPN story on this.

I remember following Claudio from when he was at UVA. I thought that he would be the next Tab Ramos, only not made of glass.

I feel that Claudio's soccer knowledge was superior to his ability. He was very good, but he wasn't great. On the 2002 squad, he was more of a DM and wasn't required to be the straw that stirred the USNMT's drink. That was his best position, because when he played the #10, the team was very limited. He wasn't as bad as Michael Bradley playing the #10 role, but it was along those lines that "Just because he has a lot of soccer knowledge & experience, doesn't mean that he is going to excel in an advanced position."

Giovanni Reyna obtained a Portuguese passport via one of his grandmother's (who probably wasn't born in Portugal) and that's how come he gets to go over when he turns 16. Hopefully he is a + athlete, because I'm sure that soccer knowledge will not be what limits his ascent. 

Very happy to see a lot of these kids moving to clubs in Europe instead of sticking around MLS. I'm a fan of the league but you see players like Andrew Carelton, who signed with Atlanta when he was 16, but has hardly seen any minutes in MLS and only gets playing time in USL. We might not reap much benefit this cycle, but next cycle we actually might be on to something. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

8 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Very happy to see a lot of these kids moving to clubs in Europe instead of sticking around MLS. I'm a fan of the league but you see players like Andrew Carelton, who signed with Atlanta when he was 16, but has hardly seen any minutes in MLS and only gets playing time in USL. We might not reap much benefit this cycle, but next cycle we actually might be on to something. 

Around the world, soccer academies that produce kids that then sign professional contracts with other teams are still financially compensated for developing that talent. For some reason, that is not the case in the USA.

That leads to Pay-to-Play still being the industry norm AND leads to MLS teams now trying to sign their players at the age of 16, because if the top kid gets to 17 without a contract, just like with professional players, they play out that final year before finding a team looking for a free transfer.

I just read an article about how RSL isn't using their USL team as a development team, but rather as a rehab team with a focus on winning a USL title. (Idiotic at best, but objectively self-destructive.) Their star academy kid, Sebastian Soto, just signed with Hannover 96 to play for their U-19 squad. He wasn't getting any playing time with RSL II and didn't see a legitimate path to the first team, so he didn't sign a contract with RSL.

Anyway, compensating developmental academies has to happen... don't care to write the full summary paragraph.

8 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Gall's ascension has been crazy. He went from the Austin Aztex in 2015 to the 3rd division of Swedish soccer the next year to a mid-table team in the top flight for two years before transferring to Malmo at midseason this year. I know that the Swedish league isn't exactly known for it's prowess (21st in the UEFA coefficient) but Malmo is the top team in that league.

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I don't mind Zardes being called in as a forward. He is a #9 all the way, not an 11 not a 7,8,10...

With Sargent working his way into the club, I don't mind this.

Tim Weah as a Midfielder is interesting, considering his best spot is also at the #9 position and #11 being his second best location... but I think that he's playing midfield for PSG, though not positive.

No Michael Bradley or Josy Altidore (Thank Jesus!).

This club is young as shit. Only John Brooks, DeAndre Yedlin, Gyasi Zardes and Bobby Wood with extensive USMNT experience and Will Trapp is a "veteran-aged player" with minimal USMNT experience.

MARKY DELGADO ADDED TO MNT ROSTER FOR KICKOFF SERIES MATCHES AGAINST BRAZIL, MEXICO

20180320-mnt-training-marky-delgado.jpg?

CHICAGO (Sept. 3, 2018) – U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Dave Sarachan has called Toronto FC midfielder Marky Delgado into the MNT’s September training camp in New Jersey. With the addition, the roster now stands at 25 players as the U.S. prepares for the Kickoff Series matches against Brazil and Mexico.  

Delgado has one appearance for the senior MNT, starting in the 1-0 win against Paraguay in March. With his addition, the average age of the MNT’s September roster moves to 23 years, 233 days...

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2018/09/03/12/12/20180903-news-mnt-marky-delgado-added-to-roster-kickoff-series-brazil-mexico

On 8/29/2018 at 8:04 PM, Bottlecap said:

Thanks for the memories, Demps. That Ghana goal was fucking lunacy. And I got to see him score live three times. GOAT.

my csb re: the ghana goal-

i actually missed the goal, but the story ends up being a pretty decent salute to the power of sports, and in this case soccer, bringing people together and ultimately exemplifying the american ideals this country was founded on.

i had plans to watch the game at a friend of a friend's place over in the domain. my good friend, a first generation american of ethiopian descent, was meeting me at the apartment of his good friend, a naturalized citizen from ethiopia, only my friend was predictably running late (cpt). we finally met up in the parking garage, and were on our way up to his friend's floor when the game kicked off.

as we were exiting the elevator, my buddy, who is on the phone with his friend, says, "he's all the way at the end (re: his friend's apartment)", followed by, "dempsey just scored. dempsey seriously just scored." at this point i can hear screams coming from the apartment at the end of the hallway, so i sprint down there, bust the door all the way open, and proceed to run and jump into the arms of a 36 year old ethiopian man i've never met before in my life. before we'd ever spoken a word to each other we were wrapped up in a big ole dancing hug, stomping around the living room of this man's apartment. so while i'll always be kind of bummed that I didn't catch that goal live, it was a pretty cool way to meet a new friend and to experience something like that. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 3