The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Nice bass BMF.

Actually, now that I have the Explorer I need a Flying V to complete the collection. I want a white one, but I feel it needs to be black to match my SG and Explorer. The LP is a burst and the 335 is blonde. The V would round out the Gibson collection. Firebird? Not my cup of tea.

Little trip southward for a Guitarbecue jaunt, Mueller's Black box and a few pawn shops.

Cheapass new guitar day! Intro to P90...

I'm pretty sure it's a vintage Gibson that somebody slapped an Epiphone sticker on. Only $50! SUCKERS!

epilpjrhead.jpg

epilpjr.jpg

epilpjrbody.jpg

The custom dice  knobs were a big giveway. Probably once owned by somebody famous, like Billy Gibbons. I hope it isn't hot.

epilpjrdice.jpg

It feels pretty nice, though. I think it will clean up pretty good to have some fun with, maybe a project at some point. The neck is in real good shape and I'll probably use it to experiment with making a guitar body to bolt it to at some point.

• Like 2

I don't know how old this Jr is, but it feels better than several others I've run across in shops, new and used, that have two P90s. Maybe they had better wood in them. The newer ones feel lifeless, this one has that snappy feel to it. It really plays quite nice. The hardware is about the same, the really cheapo trapezoid tuning machines an the same chrome plated bridge. This one also has the dogear mount type pickup rather than the middle screw type with no ears.

I wonder where they got a 3-hole Gibson truss rod cover.

Edited by DougO

1 hour ago, Deej said:

You can buy them online pretty easily. Places like Angela Instruments sell manufacturers replacements.

After cruising some Epi forum stuff it turns out mine is an older model, 97-ish, and the Gibson hole cover actually came that way. They did it for a while in the 90s.That's kinda cool to know. Probably why the guitar felt better than the newer ones I've tried.

24 minutes ago, Deej said:

Nice. Seems like the only Junior Epi puts out now has a humbucker. Shameful. Their new P90 Pros are fantastic pickups. I wish they drop them in the Juniors.

They have one with two P90s on it for $150, no pickguard. The ones I have picked up just feel weenie-fied. I haven't plugged any of them in, but they feel like nothing in my hands, unlike this older one. It has a legit guitar feel to it.

Edited by DougO

No interest in a two pup special. It just seems like a proper Junior with a nice P90 would be a no-brainer, but I guess Gibson doesn't want to take away from their sales. No reason you shouldn't be able to pick up a serviceable Junior for a good price.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

They have one with two P90s on it for $150, no pickguard. The ones I have picked up just feel weenie-fied. I haven't plugged any of them in, but they feel like nothing in my hands, unlike this older one. It has a legit guitar feel to it.

I got one for my oldest son, which is the Epi Les Paul Special?  It's been a pretty good guitar.  Plays fine.  I think I paid $70.

Zd_BPr5w_M5p_Kk_EUItp5s_Je3disarmlf_Ly_U

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 5

Finally playing again. Feels good. I was trying to give the sick pup her pills about three weeks ago and she bit into my left hand right where the neck fits in between my thumb and forefinger. Probably should have gotten a few stitches, but never seemed bad until I tried to run my hand up and down the neck of a guitar. 

I dig your graveyard shots and would like to join you in solving some crimes as we drive around in a burnt orange GTO.

I also dig this photo from Matchless
lpmatchless.jpg
You laugh but I've solved two murders just this year.

That Les Paul is gor-geous! That looks like 3rd party relic'ing and I've only come across a couple of places that do a job worthy of a Gibson. Gibson's in house team does a great job too, but to get the ~$1000 relic job like in that pic, the Gibson Custom Shop would start at $5k easy. It's almost obscene.
  • Like 1

The pawn shop LPJ is a much better guitar than I anticipated. If somone had blindfolded me I would have guessed it was a much higher end guiter...but I don't know how much these sold for in the late 90s. The P90 pickup is quite nice, as I put it to the test last night. It's got a wide range, from warm buttery single-coil sweetness, to a nice chunky and uniform humbuckery crunch. It seems to excel at fat fuzz tones as well. I don't even know if the pickup that's in it is supposed to be a decent one or not, but it sounds pretty dang good. Even the plain look of it is growing on me.

My $99 Collegiate Epi LPJ (my avatar) is a much better guitar than I expected. I stuck an EMG in it and it does that one thing pretty well. I’m sure most people just bought them to hang over the bar but fuck that. I bring it to tailgates and plug in and do guitaraoke.

• Like 1

I finally got this older Epiphone Explorer going. She's gona be stoked when I surprise her with it Wednesday.

I don't how she managed to fuck it up. She put some hot Seymore Duncan in the bridge. I wired it correctly and it didn't work and I found the pots were fried. I replaced them and it still didn't act right so I pulled all the wiring and rewired it and replaced all the switches and jacks. I even had to run a new 4 Wire conductor to the Seymore Duncan cause she left the leads so short I could barely get them to reach. That was the 1st time I've done that - taking a whole humbucker apart to connect new leads. Not as bad as I thought.

Pretty sure she's gonna want to replace the neck pickup now, it's pretty dull and lifeless next to that Seymore Duncan.

Oh, and I noticed with DougO's Jr that this Epi also has the Gibson truss cover. Must be the same era.this, like his, is an excellent playing guitar. Feels like a Gibson with cheap electonics that have all been upgraded now, save one pickup.

a9cb3782a50aced867ec92e284e2ce30.jpg

6b2d4fca75b3e2fba647cd24ec98680e.jpg

• Like 5

It's a George Lynch Screamin' Demon in the bridge, that '59 sounds like a good compliment to it since Seymore Duncans site describes the Demon as a treble-ier PAF.

That said, it's her guitar. I'll put in it whatever she wants to buy. I do think she's going to want to upgrade that neck pickup though.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Humbucker in the neck and single coil in the bridge just doesn’t speak to me at all.

Why?  That's far better than the alternative.  I have the semihollow version of that guitar and it's f'n incredible.  Tele on bridge pickup is the single most versatile sound in rock.  The humbucker adds a much more distinct and useful sound than the standard Tele neck pickup.

Why?  That's far better than the alternative.  I have the semihollow version of that guitar and it's f'n incredible.  Tele on bridge pickup is the single most versatile sound in rock.  The humbucker adds a much more distinct and useful sound than the standard Tele neck pickup.

This. I’m playing the hell outta my new guitar with this setup.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Idk I looooooove my tele on the neck single.

It's not like I never used it when I had a Tele, but the bridge pickup got the lion's share of the work.  If I were going to drop a humbucker in a Tele, I'd absolutely sacrifice the neck pickup.

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

For the most part I agree. But the Pure Vintage 64 neck pickup I put in my Tele is shockingly useful and very nice, and quite affordable.

And this guy is a badass player.

It's not like I never used it when I had a Tele, but the bridge pickup got the lion's share of the work.  If I were going to drop a humbucker in a Tele, I'd absolutely sacrifice the neck pickup.

I’d have to get a second tele if I did that. Which isn’t wrong you know.

Well, yeah.  I'm way behind -- the matrix of

- standard p/u configuration

- humbucker neck position

- humbucker bridge position

- maple neck

- rosewood neck

- solid body

- semihollow body

is huge.  Like, 128 guitars.  And I own one, not counting partscasters and knockoff Strats.

I mean, where am I gonna put 128 guitars?  In my wife's shoe closet?  

Say . . .

• Like 1

My wife would just use the guitar cutaways as racks for more shoes. I swear some of her shoes cost way more than my most expensive guitar.

btw - Has anyone had any experiance with Sterling brand by Music Man? 

They can be had for dirt cheap and seem pretty playable. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't play anything twangy. My two favorite sounds are crunchy single coil Strat neck pickup and turned up to 11 humbucker bridge. That's why I recommended a HSS Strat upthread.

I was that way forever. Until the last year or so when I really started playing my tele with our (sort of) band.

Man is that thing versatile. I can get all the growl I want (Sweet Emotion) out of the single in the bridge, which seems gnarlier than my strat single bridge, it can also get twangy or clean up, and top it off with the warm bluesyness of the neck lipstick.

I can play every song we play with that one guitar, one pedal, and one volume knob.

For me the main reason to get a Tele is for the bridge pickup. I normally don't care much for what's in the neck position. I'll figure out some way to use them at times. But a humbucker in a Tele bridge seems like trying to train a cat to fetch.

Who needs a Tele? Almost makes me wish I hadn't bought an American Standard recently.

https://www.adorama.com/fe145102550.html?sdtid=11965311&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

fe145102550.jpg

Fender Telecaster Electric Guitar (Butterscotch Blonde or Black)

$449
+ Free Shipping
+26 Deal Score
8,019 Views 59 Comments
Adorama.com has Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar (Butterscotch Blonde or Black) for $449 when you apply promo code SUMMERHEAT at checkout (above the payment screen). Shipping is free. Thanks iconian

Available Colors (prices are after promo code SUMMERHEAT😞

Oh, shit, DougO. That may have my name on it. If it was a rosewood fretboard I’d’ve already bought it. What sucks is the blonde and the brunette are both calling my name... I LOVE the black one (yes, I can and have gone back... ), but the blonde is so iconic.

11 minutes ago, the idoit said:

Oh, shit, DougO. That may have my name on it. If it was a rosewood fretboard I’d’ve already bought it. What sucks is the blonde and the brunette are both calling my name... I LOVE the black one (yes, I can and have gone back... ), but the blonde is so iconic.

Ain't nothing wrong with a blonde Tele & a maple neck:

Image result for bruce springsteen telecaster blonde