The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

17 hours ago, DougO said:

New used pawn shop guitar day!

Couldn't pass up the deal, $60 out the door for an Epi Les Paul Standard. Maybe a future design project thing to mess with, or I'll just bang on  it for a while.

epilespaul2.jpg

epilespaul.jpg

Corrosion on the bridge from somebody's sweattyass hand, but that's OK.

epilespaul3.jpg

Fretboard is pretty cruddy, but I think it should clean up OK.

epilespaulfret.jpg

Somebody scratched a name on the back of the headstock, but it's mostly out of sight, so no biggie.

It has an 11 digit serial with no letter, and I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it is. But it's set neck and all seems original as far as I can tell. Electronics work fine. Strings are shot, gotta clean it all up and string it to find out what it really sounds like.

That’s a steal awesome!

Celery, as we have discussed many times before:

Gather inventory of her shoes and purses.  Total number, estimated cost, etc.  This will come in handy in the future when you happen to bring home a $600 guitar and she starts yacking about the cost of your hobby.

</oldguy>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

What’s your technique for this clean? It came out looking great.

It was pretty easy. I just dabbed a microfiber cloth with the naphtha stuff and gently rubbed it with the grain all the way down the fretboard. That got most of the gook. Then I went over it lightly with a little patch of #0000 steel wool, a litter harder on the frets to get them shiny, being careful not to get bits of steel wool near the pickups. I then used a damp cloth to go over it to grab any bits of stuff and clean off any naphtha residue, and dried it with the clean part of the microfiber cloth. Finally, I dabbed a clean cloth with the tip of my index finger to the top of the bottle of Scott's liquid gold (not the spray kind) and wiped it on the fretboard, which covered most of it. I dabbed one more time when the spot on the cloth started to dry up near the high frets and went back up the board. It takes very little of the product to cover the board, you don't want it to build up to much. I lightly wiped it again to get any excess off the binding or in spaces where it can accumulate, then I set it on a stand for a couple of hours.

I have read you're not supposed to use stuff like furniture polish on guitar frets. The Liquid Gold doesn't have the waxiness of stuff like Pledge, but you still probably don't want it soaking into the wood. I would use a more guitar specific product if it were a more expensive guitar, but I think it's fine in small doses.

Edited by DougO

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Is it common to find decent buys at pawn shops, in your experience? 

Not these days. There's mostly a bunch of junk with prices listed at near retail. And the internets has made it less likely that some good stuff slips by the pawn dealers not quite knowing that they have or what it's worth. But I keep looking once in a while, because you never know. Once in a while you find a decent deal.

Also, pawn shops have become dominated by corporate chains, like everything else in retail. So they don't have the pressure of having to sell stuff as much to make the books.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

My mom lives in a rural area. Lots of old people that are passing on. She goes to all the estate sales and organizes the church donations that they sell off to raise money. She knows to send me photos of anything music related. I am waiting for that one great find.

Yeah, garage sales and estate sales would probably be better hunting grounds of those willing to get up early on the weekends and hit as many as possible. I never have gotten into it, maybe someday I'll give it a try. But there's still more competition than ever with people having a phone with them to look up what stuff is going for on eBay.

I have been pretty burned out on the pawn shop thing lately because it has become somewhat depressing how it's gone downhill in the last decade or so. Back when all my old friends were busy with families and stuff, hitting the pawn shops would be my Saturday entertainment. I live pretty close to Killeen, which was a great pawn shop town due to Fort Hood, but it has all kind of died off. The whole thing changed and it's really tough finding anything good.

But it's still a good way to kill some time once in a while when there's not much else to do.

15 hours ago, DougO said:

Not these days. There's mostly a bunch of junk with prices listed at near retail. And the internets has made it less likely that some good stuff slips by the pawn dealers not quite knowing that they have or what it's worth. But I keep looking once in a while, because you never know. Once in a while you find a decent deal.

OK. That's kind of how I figured it was. Thanks for addressing.

Those are safely stored away now. His main gigging instrument (and he still plays out at least one a week) is this ‘57 Hot Rod Strat. It really suits him as it has the look of a vintage Strat (which he has bonded with, understandably) but it has modern (shhh! Don’t tell him!) radius and other appointments. He thinks it’s better than the 59. That may be a bit much, but it is a very good Strat:
60549f2334fa29b09fdba7a26863e4b5.jpg

81b2482f4ddc8092cbe04131cda721f6.jpg

e3ece26ae599ceb0f9495defed956c1d.jpg

• Like 6

Love those. Damn.

My dad had a 62 strat he bought in hs. Of course he didn’t keep it.

When my dad had shown enough interest in playing, my grandfather took him into Abilene to a pawn shop to get him a “real” guitar (as opposed to the Regal acoustic he learned on - a real piece of junk that’s still hanging around somewhere in my folks house). The shop man showed him a nice Gretsch. But my Dad declined and got some no name shitty electric because the Gretsch had too many knobs. It intimidated him. What might have been I suppose.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I’ve told stories of these guitars before but I don’t think I’ve ever posted them.

Real relic:

68 CAR Tele:
3033745caf4dea964e035b936cde1694.jpg

8cc7fec1393dd1d52a0d5436f1461b8d.jpg

c5081a1ad643986aa10a892682e713c3.jpg

7a53f8b0c3b7410715996ea48bb650d6.jpg

My dad bought that one when he switched from primarily R&B/Rock to Country. He said he felt forced to do it because the Tele was the sound of Country but the Strat was a far better guitar.

59 Strat:
3e756e41ae8b10c519ac5e88737b9c3b.jpg

d3c3751ffc3f21e24f28968fdb5168f6.jpg

c01f1e853476f6267d3dd7dcc27b4821.jpg

4224b88c76c38bb3b279242bd4cad47c.jpg

My dad played that Strat 5 days a week, 4 hours a night back in the 60s. Very hard look to replicate well. He bought it used (virtually new) from a pawn shop in Lubbock in 1961.

wow beautiful!

When my dad had shown enough interest in playing, my grandfather took him into Abilene to a pawn shop to get him a “real” guitar (as opposed to the Regal acoustic he learned on - a real piece of junk that’s still hanging around somewhere in my folks house). The shop man showed him a nice Gretsch. But my Dad declined and got some no name shitty electric because the Gretsch had too many knobs. It intimidated him. What might have been I suppose.

I have that '58 Gretsch Anniversay (1st year inroduced) with a PAF Filtertron in it. He bought it used in like '63. Some of you may recall it was in shambles and I restored it and gave it back to him on his 60th birthday. Now I have it but never play it cause I absolutely hate the jumbo frets I had installed on it. I'm thinking about taking it in and having something more period correct installed.

7c8a24d3fb93e0339258dbd9fdffdd10.jpg

• Like 3

Huh.  I figured he dropped it in.  The things Fender will do . . .

It’s my dad’s favorite thing about the guitar. I guarantee you if they’d put a full size hum bucker in there, he would’ve turned it down. He wouldn’t have been able to tell you why, but he’d just think there was something off about it. The old man is finicky about his guitars that way.

But it bears repeating: that guitar is a lot of bang for the buck. Great construction, fit and finish. Sounds great. I think I got it for about $1100 off eBay out of a shop in Arizona. I didn’t want to get a call from my someday about how he’d been mugged for his guitar coming out of a gig somewhere, so I looked for the thing closest to what he liked with a bit of upgraded stuff I thought he’d like. It definitely fit that bill and I suppose it came with some peace of mind thrown in.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Chad, you've told this story before, but what was your Dad's band again?

He's been in a couple over the years.  The R&B band he played with back in the 60s was The Playboys.  Paul Ray (of later Austin fame) was the lead singer.  They were in Dallas at that time though.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesman/obituary.aspx?n=paul-ray&pid=177430876

Edited by Chad Fuck

Those vintage Fenders, hot damn. How come no one plays them?

And that dimarzio makes that Strat look really weird to me. Like, it would bother me to play it. Can’t really explain why (hell my Strat is a HH).

I didn’t say no one plays them. They just don’t get outside much anymore. At some point we just figured if he’s going to go out gigging across Texas, and risk losing a Strat, better risk the RI than the vintage.

And I agree the Dimarzio looks funny. But it sounds really clean and nice.

• Like 1

Those really are some beautiful guitars, Mr. Fuck. Your daddy has nice taste. 

I've been staring at the CAR Tele all damn day. Pretty sure that was a custom color in '68. There can't be too many of those around.

If you look at the top left corner of the pickguard where it meets the side of the neck, you'll notice a little notch, like the tip of the corner is cut off. You only see that on 68 and 69 Teles. The bottom layer of the pickguard is likely pearloid. 

Those really are some beautiful guitars, Mr. Fuck. Your daddy has nice taste. 
I've been staring at the CAR Tele all damn day. Pretty sure that was a custom color in '68. There can't be too many of those around.
If you look at the top left corner of the pickguard where it meets the side of the neck, you'll notice a little notch, like the tip of the corner is cut off. You only see that on 68 and 69 Teles. The bottom layer of the pickguard is likely pearloid. 

I recall wondering what that notch was about years ago. Any idea what the backstory is there? Why only 68/69s? And why pearloid bottom? It looks like a standard three ply pick guard from the side.