The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Asking for advice:

Son wants a telecaster.  I don’t mind spending money and want something that he will appreciate for a long time.

Can someone recommend to me a Tele or two that are nice enough that they will retain value?  I’m not looking to ride an investment to the stratosphere, but I would rather buy this once, and it be nice forever, than be 2 years down the road and the purchase being inadequate - falling apart - or not nice enough.

So, what’s a good long-term telecaster? Buy gently used or vintage or new?

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

What is a scene kid?

I don’t know if it’s a term people still use for the modern incarnation of it, but generally kids who were all in with the hardcore, post hardcore, and emo subculture stuff in the 00s and early teens.  Particularly the dyed hair, swoop haircuts, etc
image.thumb.jpeg.c7f08d0eefb6ddba1cc8e8af6531ebac.jpeg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scene_(subculture)

Or, every single kid at warped tour. Or, all of my old band’s fans.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, if you're not able to assess "gently used", I would suggest a new Made in Mexico Fender Tele.  Or a G&L variant, which I think are better and cheaper (and a direct offshoot of the Fender line).

I wouldn't go for the cheapest G&L. The ones you see pop up for $299 on SDoTD. They are really hit or miss. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, if you're not able to assess "gently used", I would suggest a new Made in Mexico Fender Tele.  Or a G&L variant, which I think are better and cheaper (and a direct offshoot of the Fender line).

If picking a MIM, go the new Vinteras. 300 or so more than the Player Series but theyve gone back to rosewood boards and are really much better guitars and probably easier to selling you have to. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 1:25 PM, CoTex said:

Asking for advice:

Son wants a telecaster.  I don’t mind spending money and want something that he will appreciate for a long time.

Can someone recommend to me a Tele or two that are nice enough that they will retain value?  I’m not looking to ride an investment to the stratosphere, but I would rather buy this once, and it be nice forever, than be 2 years down the road and the purchase being inadequate - falling apart - or not nice enough.

So, what’s a good long-term telecaster? Buy gently used or vintage or new?

You're an awesome dad.

Personally, I'd look at an 1990's American-made guitar.  In my opinion, it was a pretty good era, and they're not perceived as "vintage," so the values aren't too crazy.  

You can find one in good shape in the $1200-1500 range, and there are a lot of options in there to find something that he loves cosmetically.  

Stay away from "noiseless" pickups.  They suck.  

"Buy this once" - check

"Be nice forever" - check

If it doesn't work out, you should get your money back out of it.  

A few from a 10-minute Reverb search:

Lipstick red for $1080:  https://reverb.com/item/69542092-fender-american-standard-telecaster-1992-1993-lipstick-red

Sunburst with rosewood neck, $1350 and accepting offers:  https://reverb.com/item/77910288-1995-fender-american-standard-telecaster-with-rosewood-fretboard-3-color-sunburst

Blonde, $1600 and accepting offers:  https://reverb.com/item/78163624-fender-50th-anniversary-telecaster-1996-blonde

edit to add:  Understand that a 30-year old guitar is almost certainly going to have some minor scratches and dings.  That's normal.  If that feels disappointing to him, then he should get something new or nearly new.  

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Stay away from "noiseless" pickups.  They suck.  

I could not agree more.  I don't know what Fender calls them these days (or if they even offer them), but in the era @Paul Wesley is referring to, they were called "Lace Sensors".  I had an American Standard Strat "Deluxe" with those things, and even my meager skills were enough to prove to myself that the pickups in my older 80's made-in-Japan Strat were better.  I had Mark Erlewine swap them out for some Van Zandts, night and day difference in tone.  I still didn't get better, though.

Noiseless pickups apparently work well with fake amp systems on a big stage. I've had the lace sensors on a Strat and noiseless N3 on a Tele that I got used, hated how sterile they sounded and replaced them. 

Edited by DougO

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Lol.

Lace's are a very specific type of noiseless pickups, there are several different kinds.

Is he set on a Telecaster @CoTex? I have a 99 Strat I'm looking to sell.

I appreciate all the help and advice.

He has a PRS Silver Sky SE - that's the daily player.  It is played daily and by daily I mean at least 3 times a day.  He starts before school each morning.  He started 1 year ago and will not put the guitar down.  He's also a responsible kid (for 11).  He doesn't scratch or bang around on his stuff, keeps his room clean, basically the opposite of me when I was 11.  I'm comfortable buying him a $1-$3,000 guitar because he has proven he won't tear up his stuff.

Free tickets to Brad Paisley at the Houston Rodeo last Saturday made him a Telecaster fan.  It didn't help that BP played 10 different guitars during the show.  He made it appear as if musical success hinges on having a room full of gear.  Thanks, Brad.  Best part of the whole thing is, we don't even listen to much country music.  He likes ZZ Top and John Mayer.

There is a wealth of info out there and a lot of opinions - so far I like what I've heard here.

I'm kinda thinking about bumping up to one of these

Fender American Professional II Telecaster Maple Fingerboard Electric Guitar Butterscotch Blonde | Guitar Center

It is rewarding when your child finds something they really like - I've dealt with my fair share of kid's sports bullshit and "I don't want to do my homework."  He's driving this and I'm happy to push some chips in to support him.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, CoTex said:

He has a PRS Silver Sky SE - that's the daily player.  It is played daily and by daily I mean at least 3 times a day.  He starts before school each morning.  He started 1 year ago and will not put the guitar down.  He's also a responsible kid (for 11).  He doesn't scratch or bang around on his stuff, keeps his room clean, basically the opposite of me when I was 11.  I'm comfortable buying him a $1-$3,000 guitar because he has proven he won't tear up his stuff.

Free tickets to Brad Paisley at the Houston Rodeo last Saturday made him a Telecaster fan.  It didn't help that BP played 10 different guitars during the show.  He made it appear as if musical success hinges on having a room full of gear.  Thanks, Brad.  Best part of the whole thing is, we don't even listen to much country music.  He likes ZZ Top and John Mayer.

There is a wealth of info out there and a lot of opinions - so far I like what I've heard here.

Fender American Professional II Telecaster Maple Fingerboard Electric Guitar Butterscotch Blonde | Guitar Center

It is rewarding when your child finds something they really like - I've dealt with my fair share of kid's sports bullshit and "I don't want to do my homework."  He's driving this and I'm happy to push some chips in to support him.  

I think the American Professional II line is the modern successor to the old American Standard line. Here’s the AS strat my dad indulged 13 year old me with 26 years ago -

IMG_7127.thumb.jpeg.37c9e5ff518b2438a05187f22e13dfff.jpeg

do it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I have that guitar in black and love it. You can't go wrong with an American tele. 

Also, are you flexible on color? This one is listed on Reverb as a demo at a brick and mortar store for $1279 and $50 shipping. 

Usually if you reach out outside of Reverb, they may be able to do a little better on price. 

https://www.shopmusicland.com/shop/c/p/DEMO-USED-Fender-American-Professional-II-Telecaster-Rosewood-Fingerboard-Mercury-w-Case-x58500256.htm
https://reverb.com/item/41483247-demo-used-fender-american-professional-ii-telecaster-rosewood-fingerboard-mercury-w-case

Image.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

@CoTex, your kid sounds like an up and comer.  I'm glad to hear your perspective.  If I've learned one good lesson raising a kid who is determined to be the best player she can be, it's "get them what they want and don't skimp".

That blonde Tele looks badass -- I mean, it's pretty much an iconic look, and it's definitely a great guitar.

image.png.21689f5d2223af006943d93d33b5e03e.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, topochico said:

Also, are you flexible on color? This one is listed on Reverb as a demo at a brick and mortar store for $1279 and $50 shipping. 

Usually if you reach out outside of Reverb, they may be able to do a little better on price. 

https://www.shopmusicland.com/shop/c/p/DEMO-USED-Fender-American-Professional-II-Telecaster-Rosewood-Fingerboard-Mercury-w-Case-x58500256.htm
https://reverb.com/item/41483247-demo-used-fender-american-professional-ii-telecaster-rosewood-fingerboard-mercury-w-case

Image.jpeg

Cool - thanks for the link.

First thought is, kid is colorblind (not kidding, protanopia... he can't tell burnt orange from green).  They say it comes from mother's side of the family but he damned sure has it.

Second thought is...

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

@CoTex, your kid sounds like an up and comer.  I'm glad to hear your perspective.  If I've learned one good lesson raising a kid who is determined to be the best player she can be, it's "get them what they want and don't skimp".

That blonde Tele looks badass -- I mean, it's pretty much an iconic look, and it's definitely a great guitar.

image.png.21689f5d2223af006943d93d33b5e03e.png

Second question - is there a good camp or summer program in Austin for an 11 year old guitar player?  He'll be there for most of June and I would like to run him through something.

Current plan is to find a guitar instructor and just take some lessons but I'm open to better options.

We live in a rural part of the state and guitar lesson options are few unless you want to learn Baptist hymns.

I'm not aware of any "guitar camps".  There are various programs like School Of Rock and BandAid, and in my experience they're pretty lame.

I'd recommend he take a couple of lessons a week while he's here.  I'll try to find some go-to teachers in the area.

• Hook 'Em 2

No bass player last night so improvised an acoustic session. It was actually a pretty productive thing to try and work out acoustic arrangements for our songs, I dug it more than I anticipated.

20240321-182812.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, G650 said:

No bass player last night so improvised an acoustic session. It was actually a pretty productive thing to try and work out acoustic arrangements for our songs, I dug it more than I anticipated.

20240321-182812.jpg

..replete with casting couch, pos rep

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

What’s the Martin? I’d say 28 but the bridge looks like rosewood? And I guess the d28 usually has a black pickguard…. D…16e or something? Although again with the bridge 

D15 Special spruce top

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

8 hours ago, G650 said:

D15 Special spruce top

That’s some rosewood looking mahogany. Although it can be tricky sometimes.

i like playing “identify the guitar” with Carter’s Instagram feed because it’s always just a d-28.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 7:14 PM, Celery Man said:

What is this guitar

IMG_7099.thumb.png.26bd2526ba8992dfada4f91ed04c1f32.png

On 3/19/2024 at 7:47 PM, Celery Man said:

I think I remember staring at it in the guitar center catalogs from the late 90s. Maybe a weird epiphone, or even… Ibanez?

On 3/19/2024 at 9:39 PM, Celery Man said:

ok yeah that's for sure it, and wouldn't be the guitar I'm remembering staring at in 7th grade

THE NIGHTHAWK AND THE BLUESHAWK

image.thumb.jpeg.6c30dfbf6ff4af7c71ae7e8e4c1b4410.jpeg

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/122756-nighthawk-blueshawk/

Edited by Celery Man