The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

BCD18188-EA8F-43D2-9D66-AED7CD422DC4_1_102_a.thumb.jpeg.8b8919f8b2b8ce058677cc0182cf34cc.jpeg

New Guitar!  Martin 000-X2E.  I love this thing.  It's my first brand new guitar and I couldn't be happier with how it plays.  It's MIM and there are some rough edges, but the sound is incredible.  The top is spruce and the back and sides are some manufactured material making it very durable.  For the price, I don't think you can beat it.  I wanted a G-45, but Strait had just sold it as I was walking in.  Saved me a few hundred bucks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, tigol said:

BCD18188-EA8F-43D2-9D66-AED7CD422DC4_1_102_a.thumb.jpeg.8b8919f8b2b8ce058677cc0182cf34cc.jpeg

New Guitar!  Martin 000-X2E.  I love this thing.  It's my first brand new guitar and I couldn't be happier with how it plays.  It's MIM and there are some rough edges, but the sound is incredible.  The top is spruce and the back and sides are some manufactured material making it very durable.  For the price, I don't think you can beat it.  I wanted a G-45, but Strait had just sold it as I was walking in.  Saved me a few hundred bucks.

I'm just not cut out for the modern world.  

Nothing made outside of PA should ever have the Martin name. 

My old Martin DM has laminate back and sides and is still going at almost 30 years old. I love the big Martins but the OOO is such a nice size to play.

CoTex, I’m afraid I have to inform you that your guitar is backwards

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 hours ago, tigol said:

Made In Myanmar 🇲🇲 guitars are the best.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I fucking hate this relic bullshit.

this ugly fucking thing is in worse "shape" than my '37 Gibson, which has oh...87 FUCKING YEARS ON THIS PLANET. 

I fucking hate this shit. 

Yeah, the "heavy" relic thing seems especially odd.  

I mean, if you're doing an "artist" model, and you want to copy all the flaws of Malcolm's Gretsch or Eddie's Frankenstrat... I think that's pretty cool.  

Outside of that...  just beating the hell out of a brand new instrument...

Screenshot-2024-04-01-at-12-34-09-AM.png

5 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I bet if you picked it up and played it, you might feel differently.  I wasn't shopping for a Martin at all.  Just a good guitar to continue taking lessons on to get me to the next step.  This just happened to be the one and I think it stands up to the name with all the caveats.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, tigol said:

I bet if you picked it up and played it, you might feel differently.  I wasn't shopping for a Martin at all.  Just a good guitar to continue taking lessons on to get me to the next step.  This just happened to be the one and I think it stands up to the name with all the caveats.  

Tigol don’t sweat it.  Mine is “gently used” and supposedly made in Mexico.  It is possible (because I bought it off reverb) that it’s actually a Chinese knockoff made in a sweatshop, which has never even smelled the sweet air of Mexico.

Those luthiers couldn’t even get the pick guard on the right side.

Edited by CoTex

I'm actually a little curious about some of the.... "not just cheap" guitars being built in China. Not really for me because I'm a corksniffing asshole who is as much a collector as a player (and so I'm almost not even interested in owning a Collings much less some offshore brand with no historical provenance), but I keep seeing Eastman, Recording King, Blueridge, etc guitars pop up and I think that they are supposed to offer high quality instruments out of China. I don't really know much (and for example, I only *think* that some of the Recording King models are maybe of a higher grade than their cheaper stuff?), but i'm curious and I know that the Eastman guitars have a pretty solid rep. I have some shoes that follow the model - these aren't cheap, they are quality craftsmanship and materials and marketed as such, but made in China so not as expensive as the American brand. Maybe doing luxury manufacturing with good QC out of China is a new trend generally.

34 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I'm actually a little curious about some of the.... "not just cheap" guitars being built in China. Not really for me because I'm a corksniffing asshole who is as much a collector as a player (and so I'm almost not even interested in owning a Collings much less some offshore brand with no historical provenance), but I keep seeing Eastman, Recording King, Blueridge, etc guitars pop up and I think that they are supposed to offer high quality instruments out of China. I don't really know much (and for example, I only *think* that some of the Recording King models are maybe of a higher grade than their cheaper stuff?), but i'm curious and I know that the Eastman guitars have a pretty solid rep. I have some shoes that follow the model - these aren't cheap, they are quality craftsmanship and materials and marketed as such, but made in China so not as expensive as the American brand. Maybe doing luxury manufacturing with good QC out of China is a new trend generally.

I was just trying to make Tigol feel better.  I don't want any Chinese commie guitar.  Surely those things are soulless.

I bought a Taylor 210ce because I studied guitars and decided I wanted a Taylor or a Martin.  I spent some time in guitar shops and they don't stock a wide selection for left-handers (read nada in stock).  So, I started bidding on an American Dream on Reverb that I thought looked cool, and I couldn't get the seller to budge.  Fucker. I then scrapped that plan out of spite.

My 11 year old grew impatient and suggested I "just buy a guitar" so, this is where I landed.  I was drawn to a Martin d15 streetmaster but I thought that having an intentionally distressed and worn looking, expensive, guitar... with zero guitar skills, was a bad look.

et voila.

I was just trying to make Tigol feel better.  I don't want any Chinese commie guitar.  Surely those things are soulless.
I bought a Taylor 210ce because I studied guitars and decided I wanted a Taylor or a Martin.  I spent some time in guitar shops and they don't stock a wide selection for left-handers (read nada in stock).  So, I started bidding on an American Dream on Reverb that I thought looked cool, and I couldn't get the seller to budge.  Fucker. I then scrapped that plan out of spite.
My 11 year old grew impatient and suggested I "just buy a guitar" so, this is where I landed.  I was drawn to a Martin d15 streetmaster but I thought that having an intentionally distressed and worn looking, expensive, guitar... with zero guitar skills, was a bad look.
et voila.

So is this for your or for your kid?

Either way, if you’re starting from scratch, I’d consider learning right handed. You have now experienced first hand the limitations of trying to try left handed gear. Besides a huge part of your fine muscle coordination that you need is in the hand that does the chording/ note fretting already.

Sincerely,
Lefty who learned to play right handed.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So is this for your or for your kid?

Either way, if you’re starting from scratch, I’d consider learning right handed. You have now experienced first hand the limitations of trying to try left handed gear. Besides a huge part of your fine muscle coordination that you need is in the hand that does the chording/ note fretting already.

Sincerely,
Lefty who learned to play right handed.

11 year old is right handed, and on his way.  He has a Yamaha acoustic guitar, a Yamaha classical guitar (gift - "hey, I never played this - want it" from a neighbor), a Dobro ("hey, I never played this - want it" from grandfather), a PRS silver sky SE, and now he wants a telecaster.  

It would have made a lot of sense for me to learn right handed so that he could benefit from whatever I collected.  Alas, it just didn't feel right to me.

Instead, I bought a lefty so that we could spend time together and have something in common. I now have no excuses except my own ineptitude. 

And, if we ever get hooked on heroin we can probably sell that Dobro for a few fixes - not sure anyone else will do much with it, but it looks cool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, CoTex said:

11 year old is right handed, and on his way.  He has a Yamaha acoustic guitar, a Yamaha classical guitar (gift - "hey, I never played this - want it" from a neighbor), a Dobro ("hey, I never played this - want it" from grandfather), a PRS silver sky SE, and now he wants a telecaster.  

It would have made a lot of sense for me to learn right handed so that he could benefit from whatever I collected.  Alas, it just didn't feel right to me.

Instead, I bought a lefty so that we could spend time together and have something in common. I now have no excuses except my own ineptitude. 

And, if we ever get hooked on heroin we can probably sell that Dobro for a few fixes - not sure anyone else will do much with it, but it looks cool.

Meh, these guys made it work.  You'll need to pick up a bass though.

image.thumb.png.18a3e6e9c1b59787eb2e497c4ca34bdd.png

33 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I think all budding guitarists should go righty regardless of their handedness.  (Is that a word?)

My creativity will not be confined by the likes of you.

I'm a left handed person who plays righty, and I'm glad I don't play lefty but I also recognize that there are different kinds of left handedness. For me, if someone had handed me a guitar facing the other direction I would have probably just learned left handed, but I think for some people it's more hard wired and would put them at a disadvantage to do it backwards.

Agree about the Streetmaster. I hope I'm not dogging anyone's guitar here but that one never made any sense to me. Even past just the heavily relic'd thing, I've never seen a vintage mahogany Martin that even looks like that. Here's a pretty worn one from 1940- 

original.jpg?1709624429

I can kinda see where they get to the streetmaster from there, but it doesn't look the same at all, and plus it has a whole sunburst thing going on which is not part of the 15m aesthetic at all

martin-000-15m-street-master-mahogany-bu

looks like something from hobby lobby

15 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Team no relic

Also team who cares where your Martin is from if you dig it

12 hours ago, tigol said:

Y'all misunderstand me.  I don't hate the player, I hate the game.   I think Martin should have kept their brand "pure".  I don't blame anybody for finding something that they like and can afford. 

The nice thing about the most recent Joe Strummer is its nitro. I already see more wear on the neck, and have a spot were my forearm rubs that is starting to show some sunburst. 

• Drool 1

Really I think Martin has done a good job of delivering a quality product at the price point where probably 90% of guitar business exists without killing the brand, the lineup, their reputation. Martin is still the standard.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I think all budding guitarists should go righty regardless of their handedness.  (Is that a word?)

I have yet to see a left-handed player complain that they can’t find a LEFT-HANDED PIANO.

Just don’t tell the left-handed player that there are left-handed guitars and everything will be so much easier in life. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Here's the Hobby Lobby version:

image.thumb.png.ab06837c1823efd0c675762d070bfb75.png

5 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

The hobby lobby version would have "I play rhythm, Jesus plays lead" painted on it.

Jesus’ first album cover after becoming the lead…

IMG_3831.jpeg

On 3/31/2024 at 10:33 PM, Gil Bang said:

Damnit.  I told my husband about this and now he calls my guitar a Martinez.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, tigol said:

Damnit.  I told my husband about this and now he calls my guitar a Martinez.

“Martinez” just means “Son of Martín”.

Your husband sounds like he both has a sense of humor AND is intelligent.

• Like 1

Yeah, I kind of expected Wolfgang to just be EVH's kid riding his dad's name to some notoriety/cash, but he's a hell of a multi-instrumentalist and a pretty damn good song writer with his own thing going on.   I mean, he'll pay homage to his dad and drop some killer guitar work that sounds a lot like his old man, but that's not his only or main thing.  I'm glad he's out there making his music and creating his own shadow.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Yeah, I kind of expected Wolfgang to just be EVH's kid riding his dad's name to some notoriety/cash, but he's a hell of a multi-instrumentalist and a pretty damn good song writer with his own thing going on.   I mean, he'll pay homage to his dad and drop some killer guitar work that sounds a lot like his old man, but that's not his only or main thing.  I'm glad he's out there making his music and creating his own shadow.

Agree. Like Hank Jr. You can’t deny who you are and who your dad is but you can go make your own thing out of it. Good for him.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Agree. Like Hank Jr. You can’t deny who you are and who your dad is but you can go make your own thing out of it. Good for him.

Hank Jr is probably the perfect career model (less drinking so much and falling off a mountain) for Wolfgang.

Lukas Nelson is another. Incredible talent doing his own thing, but he's not afraid to throw one of his Dad's songs into his set to the joy of the audience. He did an incredible cover of Angel Flying too Close to the Ground last time I saw him.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Lukas Nelson is another. Incredible talent doing his own thing, but he's not afraid to throw one of his Dad's songs into his set to the joy of the audience. He did an incredible cover of Angel Flying too Close to the Ground last time I saw him.

I saw him do that song at Stubbs in about 2010. Fantastic.

Its been awhile, but a 1970 Martin 00-18 came across my radar.  That's my birth year, so I took it as sort of a cosmological sign that I was meant to have the guitar.  Its not mint or anything, pretty much player grade with some wear and bracing fixes.  I am getting the bridge reaffixed (it showed signs of starting to lift), but should be able to pick it up next week.

image.thumb.png.7f6d687f77f82b8969f066dae288c4ef.png

Here's a video the owner sent me.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

On 4/1/2024 at 8:13 AM, Celery Man said:

Missed this one.  I've owned an Eastman slope-shoulder Gibson J45 knockoff and a 335 knock off.  Both were great for just under a grand each at the time.  I've played some J45s and owned a couple of 335s and I'd say they were roughly on par with a Gibson standard equivalent.  They are made with a similar level of care and quality of component.  They don't hold value like a Gibson, but if you buy used, someone else has already taken that hit for you.  I ultimately sold them, but it was not because they sucked.

• Hook 'Em 2