The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

10 hours ago, Deej said:

What I imagine the Surly Saturday Afternoon Jam looks like.

I just discovered Ram Jam a couple months ago.  Am I late to the Ram Jam party?  Never heard of them before, but this video kept popping up in my YouTube feed so I finally clicked on it and ended up going down a Ram Jam rabbit hole.

Didn’t notice until now that the long hair on the left isn’t playing anything. He just claps and dances in front of a Marshall, does a little spin once in a while. That’ll be me at the Surly Jam. 

• Like 1

I bought the Ram Jam album when it came out.  I was probably 13 years old.  Our town had a "big box" retailer called Mohr Value a short walk from my house, and in the foyer it shared with our IGA grocery there were some pinball machines.  I stopped on the way out to play a game, set the album on the machine next to me, and this little asshat named David Kelly came up "to watch".  By the time I was done playing, which was long after he had wandered off, I realized he had stolen my album.  I put the word out and before I could catch up to him on the school grounds the next day one of my friends had beaten the shit out of him.  Never got the album back, though.

Trivia:  Ram Jam's bass player used to play with Billy Joel in his pre-solo days.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Foggy Notion said:

I just discovered Ram Jam a couple months ago.  Am I late to the Ram Jam party?  Never heard of them before, but this video kept popping up in my YouTube feed so I finally clicked on it and ended up going down a Ram Jam rabbit hole.

Didn’t notice until now that the long hair on the left isn’t playing anything. He just claps and dances in front of a Marshall, does a little spin once in a while. That’ll be me at the Surly Jam. 

That's the lead singer, with nothing to do, while the guitarist sings the only song of theirs anyone remembers. 

17 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

Didn’t notice until now that the long hair on the left isn’t playing anything. He just claps and dances in front of a Marshall, does a little spin once in a while. 

That comment reminded me of this video....which, IMO, is the pinnacle of Western art and civilization.

• Haha 1

What is this Shaggy Screamer you refer to? Was it one of AUTF's Frankenstein creations?
I always have to have some kind of project going on, and I had a lot of time on my hands at that point in my life. Those were fun.

My offer is still repair them if anyone is having issues. Looking at you buzz and tbone.

I guess I'm a Strat guy, now. Mentioned earlier I was getting along more with my Classic Players 50's Strat.

Well, it is now the go to guitar. Love the 57/62 pickups with position 4 being neck and bridge like a Tele. 

Plus the V neck with the 9.5 radius is very playable. 

The 2-point trem and locking tuners work well and keep the thing in tune, no matter how aggressive I get with the trem bar. 

20200823_151419.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

I've always wanted to be a Strat guy. The only one I've ever bonded with belongs to a friend. Maybe its time I work out a deal on it with him.

Lock down went into effect 5 days before we had a show and a month before our drummers "farewell" show, so he moved away and it sucks that none of knew we had played our last show, or practice even. Our bass player wouldn't even get in the same building with us to run through our songs one last time before he went. I even offered seperate rooms for everybody.

I hadn't done anything collaborative since, but suddenly I have 3 different projects going on with different people. It will be interesting to see where they lead. I may even get a new drummer out of it, kinda making it 4 projects.

One ray of sunshine in all this.

• Like 1

Well, I never really was. Like you, I tried to get along with them. I just made myself sit down and play this one and figured out how to dial it in, which also made me realize how comfortable they are. It also has a very thin poly finish, which is nice. It ain't nitro, but it doesn't have that thick slab finish. 

• Like 1

My main problem with Strats is that they don't really fit my style of play, which is almost exclusively rhythm, and very chord based, even if it's hard rock crunch.  There is a bit of a "piano" timbre that comes out when one strums a Strat that I don't hear with a Tele. 

Driven hard in a lead role?  Strats rule.  Less distorted in a rhythm role?  I'm not so sure.  At least not the way I play.

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Funny, because this guitar is just killer playing rhythm. I was in the same boat as you, but this one has won me over. 

That's good to hear.  I might have missed it -- anything particular about the pickups that are different than "typical" Strats?  More/less gain?  Different pots?

Edited by jimmyjazz

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's good to hear.  I might have missed it -- anything particular about the pickups that are different than "typical" Strats?  More/less gain?  Different pots?

The pickups have a more vintage, lower output tone, IMO. Not too bright.. i actually had to turn up the bass on my Princeton. Plus, the switch position that gives you the neck and bridge together sounds like the middle position on a Tele, just a bit more full. 

Edited by Deej

I have to admit that when I build partscasters, I do tend towards high output pickups and pots to match.  Maybe I'll build one with lower gain parts.

Which switch position are you calling "4"?  I think all my Strats and knockoffs have had positions 2 (neck/mid) and 4 (mid/bridge) out of phase in a Hendrix-ey realm.  I don't think I've played a Strat that blends neck and bridge.

Why not both?

Not technically a Strat, but close enough. I chose the G&L S-500 because of the electronics - volume, treble and bass controls; push-pull treble pot to turn on the neck(?) pickup full time to combo all 3 pick ups or combo the bridge & neck. The body is mahogany so it’s HEAVY af. The MDF pickups are the same as on regular G&Ls, i.e. kinda hot. The guitar came set up pretty well with 9s, but needed to be filed to accept 10s without catching. The 2 point tremolo is not as stable as they’re advertised to be 

The Tele in the back is my baby. $400 pawn shop rescue that’s stayed with me while I adopted and abandoned a bunch of other guitars.

E3500577-8D00-45D1-9120-3D7F7968C42E.jpeg

• Like 3

I’m mostly a rhythm guy as well, so I don’t need a super fast neck. I’ve come to realize the past few years that I prefer the thicker neck profiles of vintage and reissue style Fenders. I like the way that a C or soft V neck fills the palm of my hand. Chords feel more stable to me on a thicker neck than on a thinner modern style neck.  This is all IMO and what works for me.

I’ve bought and sold a number of Strats in my Craigslist dealings over the years but didn’t really connect with any of them to keep them. My favorites have been the MIM reissues. I’d like to try an American Vintage reissue. I’m not in a hurry, but I’ve been looking recently to add a Strat back into my collection.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Deej said:

I guess I'm a Strat guy, now. Mentioned earlier I was getting along more with my Classic Players 50's Strat.

Well, it is now the go to guitar. Love the 57/62 pickups with position 4 being neck and bridge like a Tele. 

Plus the V neck with the 9.5 radius is very playable. 

The 2-point trem and locking tuners work well and keep the thing in tune, no matter how aggressive I get with the trem bar. 

20200823_151419.jpg

Sort of a twin....84 w/dirty blonde Lollars, blocked trem.

50261194602_4e4ab54bbb_b.jpg

• Like 4

My strat spends long periods of time on the "bench" (the seven guitar stand where most of my electrics are out) because I have so many guitars and I particularly love staring at my LP ad my Duo Jet. But then it comes out and I love it every single time. One of my favorite guitars plugged in. I love strats clean and dirty, and if I'm in the right mood love 2 or 4 with dripping with reverb/delay and a bit of chorus. It's also one of my most solidly built guitars. Probably actually edged out by this guy, who I pulled out again recently. I know PRS isn't everyone's favorite guitar but this one is great to hit hard.

PRS.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have to admit that when I build partscasters, I do tend towards high output pickups and pots to match.  Maybe I'll build one with lower gain parts.

Which switch position are you calling "4"?  I think all my Strats and knockoffs have had positions 2 (neck/mid) and 4 (mid/bridge) out of phase in a Hendrix-ey realm.  I don't think I've played a Strat that blends neck and bridge.

If the switch all the way back on the bridge is 1, and one for the neck is 5, then the position right behind the neck position.

Edited by Deej

8 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

My strat spends long periods of time on the "bench" (the seven guitar stand where most of my electrics are out) because I have so many guitars and I particularly love staring at my LP ad my Duo Jet. But then it comes out and I love it every single time. One of my favorite guitars plugged in. I love strats clean and dirty, and if I'm in the right mood love 2 or 4 with dripping with reverb/delay and a bit of chorus. It's also one of my most solidly built guitars. Probably actually edged out by this guy, who I pulled out again recently. I know PRS isn't everyone's favorite guitar but this one is great to hit hard.

PRS.jpg

I love PRS but just can't seem to stay married to one...kept the receipts to remind me. 

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

PRS.jpg

That's what I'm talkin' about.

Am I the only one on here who actually saw Ram Jam in concert?  I was a sophomore in high school when that debut album came out in 77.  They had just moved out of clubs into auditorium shows in smaller towns when that single broke.  Saw them in Wichita Falls. A buddy and I took my little brother along for his first rock-n-roll show.  I remember liking this song that was also on that album.  Again, the ONLY thing on the radio was disco and really shitty soft rock shit.     I had my Electra Les Paul copy, Fender Super Reverb and I wanted to ROCK!  

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 8:18 PM, topochico said:

So, how does it sound? It looks aces. 

I have a tone I like built around a MESA/Boogie M9 Carbine amp model in the Helix and got around to re-recording one of my songs bass lines.  Previously, the bass line was a crappy pitch-shifted guitar that sounded like a crappy pitch-shifted guitar.

I really like the active electronics and controls on the bass and how much I can modify the tone from the bass itself.  Now to start practicing some funk slap!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

I have a tone I like built around a MESA/Boogie M9 Carbine amp model in the Helix and got around to re-recording one of my songs bass lines.  Previously, the bass line was a crappy pitch-shifted guitar that sounded like a crappy pitch-shifted guitar.

I really like the active electronics and controls on the bass and how much I can modify the tone from the bass itself.  Now to start practicing some funk slap!

Sounds great. Glad that CL find worked out.