The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I'm probably oversimplifying, but the East German "Neumann" still exists as Microtech Gefell, and they make great stuff.

I think that's a fair assessment.  I have a pair of Microtech Gefell M300 small diaphragm condensers, as well as their (modern) Neumann cousins the KM184s.  The M300s are superior.  I don't know how they would stack up to the more classic KM84 Neumanns.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I don’t know shit about microphones. What makes those great?

Different models shine in different applications... so much so that they're kind of the industry standard when discussing and measuring other manufacturers in the same instance (U47 on vocals, 47fet on kick drum, U87 on modern rap vocals, the KM84 that jimmyjazz mentioned as a small diaphragm condenser).

That model is kind of a Swiss army knife.  They're not widely discussed or nearly as sought out as other models (not even close).  But they sound balanced and detailed on acoustic instruments.  They're amazing on piano.  As room mics on a string section, they sound big and cinematic. 

Do we need a microphone pron thread?  

Those look badass, Paul.  UM57 is not even on my radar.  I'm moderately obsessed with microphones at the moment, as I have been trying to decide what 2-3 mic's would be most useful for my home studio.  I really want a tube mic just for vocals, but have settled on a 251-style FET and 67-style FET from a company in China called 3U Audio.  I may get a tube mic later, but I can always rent one when needed.  

18 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Do we need a microphone pron thread?  

Those look badass, Paul.  UM57 is not even on my radar.  I'm moderately obsessed with microphones at the moment, as I have been trying to decide what 2-3 mic's would be most useful for my home studio.  I really want a tube mic just for vocals, but have settled on a 251-style FET and 67-style FET from a company in China called 3U Audio.  I may get a tube mic later, but I can always rent one when needed.  

I used to own a Lawson L47 vocal mic, which was a faithful recreation of the Neumann U47.  The cool thing about the Lawson design is their "Quick Connect" capsules.  They sell two bodies (one tube, one FET) and two capsule heads (one patterned after the U47, and one patterned after the ELAM 251).  Either capsule head will work with either body, so in effect you can own very high quality versions of Neumann U47 and U47FET as well as ELAM 251 and 251FET.  The whole combo can be had for less than $4K.

Off With Their Heads

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Goredho said:

What else you got?

I don’t have a SG yet but here’s my electrics 

Gibson LP studio wine red

Gibson LP traditional honey burst

Gibson LP standard gold top

Epiphone Union Jack

PRS custom 24 10 top emerald green

PRS Vine whale blue

Fender Kurt Cobain Jaguar 

Fender Jimi Hendrix Monterey Strat

Fender American Deluxe Tele

Rickenbacker Jet Glo 

• Hook 'Em 1

Don’t think either one are filling a big tonal hole (next band name) in your collection, so probably the SG because you already have a strat and you are already talking yourself into the SG.  But hell, that’s Vintera is a damn pretty Strat, so I don’t think you are wrong either way.

Edited by Goredho

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

SG's tend to be neck heavy, since the body is so thin, leading to neck dive. 

https://killerguitarrigs.com/what-is-neck-dive-and-how-to-fix-it/

5 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

SGs have very light body's and the neck joins at the 21st fret. They can be neck heavy. I suggest a good padded strap to keep it in place. 

Ok ok... makes sense.... I’m have tempted to get a single cut PRS they had there that was pretty bad ass

4 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

I don’t have a SG yet but here’s my electrics 

Gibson LP studio wine red

Gibson LP traditional honey burst

Gibson LP standard gold top

Epiphone Union Jack

PRS custom 24 10 top emerald green

PRS Vine whale blue

Fender Kurt Cobain Jaguar 

Fender Jimi Hendrix Monterey Strat

Fender American Deluxe Tele

Rickenbacker Jet Glo 

You don't have a Dano.

Love me some SG. Never really quite embraced it until I finally got a real one and loved the way it feels and sounds.

Neck dive doesn't bother me because I don't play with people, unfortunately, so I always play sitting down. I think the biggest problem with the neck dive is the unfortunate position of the front strap button which moves the body away from the center of gravity way too much. If the top horn were stouter they could put it there like on a Strat and it would probably be fine, but there's not enough wood there.

• Like 1

I was just jamming with friends. My SG happened to be out because of this thread when a string on my big Gretsch broke. I played the SG for an hour or so standing & moving around and never felt an issue with neck dive; didnt even think about it. If anything, I was bothered that it doesn't sound like the Gretsch; but it was light and easy to play in my hands.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Handcruser said:

This. Get a semi or hollow.

I have a epiphone Union Jack... 

I want a ES 335 but shit those are like $3500. This was a impulse purchase because I won it all on Phil Mickelson at 12-1. So free guitar day! But shit now I’m thinking I should just use the money and put it down on something sick lol! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I used to own a Lawson L47 vocal mic, which was a faithful recreation of the Neumann U47.  The cool thing about the Lawson design is their "Quick Connect" capsules.  They sell two bodies (one tube, one FET) and two capsule heads (one patterned after the U47, and one patterned after the ELAM 251).  Either capsule head will work with either body, so in effect you can own very high quality versions of Neumann U47 and U47FET as well as ELAM 251 and 251FET.  The whole combo can be had for less than $4K.

Off With Their Heads

I was on the lookout a while back for a Lawson LA47 or something after reading about them, but quickly realized they were very hard to find used and the value had gone up quite a bit, well out of my reach.  

I won't claim they are as good as the originals, but the companies making clones under 1k these days like Warm Audio and Advanced Audio are doing pretty good work to approximate these vintage mic's by sourcing components from all over and using some pretty high quality capsules.  Some are definitely better than others.  Rocknroll rentals carries all the Warm Audio mic's, so I have tried a couple out.  The WA-47 sounds huge on vocals, their 251 is not quite as good though.  I haven't checked out the 87-style mic yet, but I've heard it comes close to the original.

I want a ES 335 but shit those are like $3500. This was a impulse purchase because I won it all on Phil Mickelson at 12-1. So free guitar day! But shit now I’m thinking I should just use the money and put it down on something sick lol! 

I like the way you think.

I realize the Lawsons are at another level when it comes to budget compared to mid-level offerings.  They are gorgeous, though.

One thing I'm interested in, now that I no longer own a studio, is the Slate VMS (Virtual Microphone System).  I think it's a reasonable approach to a decent "mic locker" for bedroom recording guys like me.  Basically, it's a very good, sonically neutral large diaphragm condenser microphone and preamp that interfaces with various microphone, preamp, and compressor patches inside a DAW.  I've listened to the demos, some by 3rd party reviewers, and to me, they did get very close to the Neumann U47 and the Sony 800G, through a (virtual) Neve 1073 preamp.  For $1K, the ability to "own" tens of thousands of dollars of equipment is not to be overlooked.  Yes, it's akin to amp modeling, which has also gotten very good as of late.  (To be fair, I haven't seen a good description of how Slate developed the sonics of their patches -- they claim it's NOT convolution or impulse response technology, which, to be honest, is the way I would have gone.)

339?

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

Doing math on my guitar calculator......

$3500-$1200 (gambling winnings)= $2300 which is a really great price for a 335!

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I realize the Lawsons are at another level when it comes to budget compared to mid-level offerings.  They are gorgeous, though.

One thing I'm interested in, now that I no longer own a studio, is the Slate VMS (Virtual Microphone System).  I think it's a reasonable approach to a decent "mic locker" for bedroom recording guys like me.  Basically, it's a very good, sonically neutral large diaphragm condenser microphone and preamp that interfaces with various microphone, preamp, and compressor patches inside a DAW.  I've listened to the demos, some by 3rd party reviewers, and to me, they did get very close to the Neumann U47 and the Sony 800G, through a (virtual) Neve 1073 preamp.  For $1K, the ability to "own" tens of thousands of dollars of equipment is not to be overlooked.  Yes, it's akin to amp modeling, which has also gotten very good as of late.  (To be fair, I haven't seen a good description of how Slate developed the sonics of their patches -- they claim it's NOT convolution or impulse response technology, which, to be honest, is the way I would have gone.)

That's the route I went. Seemed to just make sense when I was putting together the home studio to go the mic modeling route and Sweetwater had the silver ML-1 for $699, making the decision between the Slate or a Townsend easier. Picked up all the available mic packs for it, too. The 800G is my go-to, but jumping around applying different mics after-the-fact is its own fun little diversion, and sometimes even illuminating.

Were I to do it over again, I'd go the amp modeling route sooner, too.

8 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

Were I to do it over again, I'd go the amp modeling route sooner, too.

My partner in crime managed to create convolution impulses of his Marshall 50 W JCM800 half stack.  Honestly, in a mix, I can't tell the difference, or at least not easily.  It sounds good.

Modeling/profiling technology is getting better and better.  A buddy picked up an AxeFX III and its really, really good.  Probably better than my Line 6 Helix out of the box.  Will be interesting to see where its at in another 5 years.

Edited by Goredho

23 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

The only thing is that it’s a Mexican made strat and I felt dirty spending 1200 on it w/case 

Some of the most sought after golden era Fenders were Mexican made, albeit in California.  If it's a good guitar and plays great, that's what matters.

dsc05876-jpg.378482

Yeah, yeah.  I know that that some of the more desirable bodies and necks aren't necessarily sent to the factory in Mexico under the current regime.

• Like 1