The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On 5/19/2021 at 10:25 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks.  Is this a legit "R" version or some lower-cost attempt?  I was expecting a higher price.

image.thumb.png.a9330d3d12c2ac74db4d0cbfc5751e48.png

If you end up liking the R8 neck profile, look into a used 2013 LP Traditional. It’s very similar and much less expensive. I recall @AnotherUTFan posting a comparison back in the day and deciding the R8 was something like 5% more guitar for 100% more money.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

If you end up liking the R8 neck profile, look into a used 2013 LP Traditional. It’s very similar and much less expensive. I recall [mention=527]AnotherUTFan[/mention] posting a comparison back in the day and deciding the R8 was something like 5% more guitar for 100% more money.
Thats pretty spot on. I do recall playing one qt a shop in San Jose and almost walking out with it. I like those chunky necks and I think the Traditionals are great way to go if you want a "classic" style Les Paul without forking over custom shop cash. I think there's a Traditional 60's style one if you prefer a slimmer neck.

However, beware of the "Traditional Pro". Those were a run manufactured specifically for Guitar Center and a step down. I bought one fairly cheap off Craigslist several years ago and it was a dog. I did a set up, cleaned it up, and did everything I know and couldn't make it into anything I ever wanted to play. I sold it on Reverb and made a few bucks for my effort anyway.

There are way too many Les Paul variations. Its hard to keep up. I guess Fendernis getting just as bad with all the rebranding, and now Gretsch has a whole different "Player" series.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oh yeah. I forgot about those Trad Pros. Definitely avoid those.

Also the quality of the Traditional line varied by year. As I recall, 2013 was the high water mark. In 2014 or 2015, Gibson got all cutesy with electronic tuners, a goofy wide fretboard, and the Sharpie-style Les Paul signature.

Edited by BrickHorn

3 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Oh yeah. I forgot about those Trad Pros. Definitely avoid those.

Also the quality of the Traditional line varied by year. As I recall, 2013 was the high water mark. In 2014 or 2015, Gibson got all cutesy with electronic tuners, a goofy wide fretboard, and the Sharpie-style Les Paul signature.

2014 was still good quality.  2015 was the year of the dipshit at Gibson...at least one of the years.  I bought the last new 2014 in metro Atlanta.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

2014 was still good quality.  2015 was the year of the dipshit at Gibson...at least one of the years.  I bought the last new 2014 in metro Atlanta.  

Yeah, 2015 was the bad year with the wide necks and the electric tuner.

The thing with "Les Paul" looking wonky was because they were using Les Paul's actual signature  in honor of his 100th birthday.

I had my windows cleaned today at the house. 2 kids mid 20s that were brothers that cleaned them and own the company said to me “hey are those all 15 of your guitars upstairs in cases?”. I said “oh you counted huh?” They said can we see some we play. I showed them my collection and they were ready to shit themselves. I let them both play the 32 Martin. They are really good players. They were like man were got squires! Can we live here? Lol felt good to show the collection to people that appreciate it and tell stories on how and why I bought some of them ect. The wife just stares at me lol

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

I had my windows cleaned today at the house. 2 kids mid 20s that were brothers that cleaned them and own the company said to me “hey are those all 15 of your guitars upstairs in cases?”. I said “oh you counted huh?” They said can we see some we play. I showed them my collection and they were ready to shit themselves. I let them both play the 32 Martin. They are really good players. They were like man were got squires! Can we live here? Lol felt good to show the collection to people that appreciate it and tell stories on how and why I bought some of them ect. The wife just stares at me lol

That's pretty cool.

That was the least of the problems. Didn't they also have a plug connector behind the pots?
They did that a year or two before. Probably still do. A PCB everything plugs into in the control cavity. Few people would ever realize its there.

I don't doubt thats was the thinking, but I don't see how its any more convenient for the user. I dont think most are regularly replacing pots, and for those of us who are its just as easy to desolder/resolder the pot as it is to remove and reinstall the PCB - then the PCB ready pot is more expensive and harder to find. I have 1 with a PCB control cavity. It doesn't bother me at all, but if I ever do replace a pot ill likely rewire it all with solder and wire.

That PCB should outlive our civilization, the pots and pickups less so. I like the policy for the pickups, especially, (solderless repairs are the bee's knees) but if for some reason a person likes direct wired over plugs, the pads on that PCB are extra fat, so even then it's convenient to retro.

Edited by BoomMF

On 4/18/2021 at 10:39 AM, Chad Fuck said:

I have a Danelectro 12 string I got used in the early 00s.  It's been a great player.  Stays in tune, steady as a rock, no neck warping, etc.  

iyrwcqchvantxszyqesq.jpg

It's this exact thing, except no band signatures.  I've often poked around at getting an "upgrade," such as a Strat XII, or the Fender Electric XII, perhaps a Rick or even a Gretsch like you have.  

But this fills that unique and lets' face it - rarely used - niche at a fraction of the cost.  I'd really have to find one of those others at a steal to make it worthwhile.  And is it really an "upgrade" when I've heard about how difficult say, a Rick 12, is to maintain?  I dunno...

Will be joining the Dany12 club with one of these just ordered.  Coil splittable lipstick humbucker in the bridge and a P90 in the neck.  Pretty wide range of tones I’ve heard in vids like this.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

On 5/20/2021 at 10:47 AM, BrickHorn said:

If you end up liking the R8 neck profile, look into a used 2013 LP Traditional. It’s very similar and much less expensive. I recall @AnotherUTFan posting a comparison back in the day and deciding the R8 was something like 5% more guitar for 100% more money.

And as long as you're possibly looking into used traditionals, check out the 2014 Traditional.  As long as you don't find the 120th anniversary 12th fret inlay to be a deal breaker (I don't), they're great guitars.  Nice chunky neck but not unmanagable.  No weight relief, but mine is over 10 lbs and just doesn't feel heavy to play, even for hours on end.  Lastly, the pickups are stellar and seem to be pretty much limited to that year.

Yeah, you own a lot more than I own. I’ve sold a lot of guitars I’ve posted to get to a set of 4 that I *really* dig.  Plus I own a P-Bass and soon a 12 string pretty much strictly for recording.  So I own 6 instruments, one amp and a helix modeler that is what I play through 95% of the time.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Keith's Oahu?  Go on...

Keith played a 1959 Oahu, which was essentially a 1959 Supro Supreme, but with a pair of 6v6 tubes, instead of a pair of 6973 tubes.

It has a 10 inch speaker. I also have the matching 12 inch cabinet. 

https://www.songwritingmagazine.co.uk/gear/supros-supreme-tribute-to-keith-richards

http://oliverarchut.com/id26.html

Keith's repro, on stage circa 2007. 

oahu.jpg

And just because Andy makes everything sound good...

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

Gary Clark, Jr.   Audible has an INCREDIBLE audio book, read by Gary, telling his story.  It is fucking INCREDIBLE.  If someone can listen to that and not come out a HUGE fan of his, we can't be friends.      

It is called Deep Lowdown Soul.  It is an Audible Original and is included as a part of Audible membership.  I'm on my second listen.  It is just him talking.....no interview questions.....it is like he is just answering questions.  He isn't reading it...just him talking...with music scattered through.  

Wow.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Attention guitar slingers, can you guess what song this riff is from? You win a big box of nothing along with my love...

764ff25b6503348e0eabcb469330bd91.jpg

I was sitting in an airport bar next to this dude who was looking over pages of tabs.  We started talking and he said, "do you know what these are?"  Yep.    He then flips to another page and starts 'singing' the tab, just by looking at it, pointing his finger like a first grader learning to read, but he had the timing down perfect and was singing the bends and slides.    I had a magazine with me that had some tabs listed.  I found one that was just an exercise and asked if he could sing that.  Motherfucker did it.   I wish I had that skill.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

Gary Clark, Jr.   Audible has an INCREDIBLE audio book, read by Gary, telling his story.  It is fucking INCREDIBLE.  If someone can listen to that and not come out a HUGE fan of his, we can't be friends.      

It is called Deep Lowdown Soul.  It is an Audible Original and is included as a part of Audible membership.  I'm on my second listen.  It is just him talking.....no interview questions.....it is like he is just answering questions.  He isn't reading it...just him talking...with music scattered through.  

Wow.  

If you dug that, you should try the Storyteller's Nashville, Tom T. Hall's book.  He pops in every once in a while to read pithy bits, but man it's a great picture of a Nashville that was but will never be again.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I was sitting in an airport bar next to this dude who was looking over pages of tabs.  We started talking and he said, "do you know what these are?"  Yep.    He then flips to another page and starts 'singing' the tab, just by looking at it, pointing his finger like a first grader learning to read, but he had the timing down perfect and was singing the bends and slides.    I had a magazine with me that had some tabs listed.  I found one that was just an exercise and asked if he could sing that.  Motherfucker did it.   I wish I had that skill.  

My pretty-good ear allowed me to cheat, a lot, so when my daughter started taking piano several years ago I was militant about making sure she learned to read music. She can just about sight-read and sight-sing now.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Deej said:

Deej, thanks for this link - I've done business with that company.  I had no idea that Oliver Archut made guitar amps.  I knew of him because of his microphones.  

As I understand, he developed a mod for Neumann UM57 mics... a microphone that was made in East Germany after WW2.  His company (Tab Funkenwerk) took these East German UM57's and installed their own proprietary transformer and eliminated the faradaic shield.  I'm probably oversimplifying, but the East German "Neumann" still exists as Microtech Gefell, and they make great stuff.  In 2003, they made 75 re-creations of the Neumann UM57, and they used Archut's mods in their reproductions and sold them as the Gefell UM75.

A few years ago, I took a big chance on ebay and bought a couple of old Neumann UM57 from Bulgaria.  They were cheap, and they came with a second-hand power supply that was crap.  I then had them rebuilt by Tab Funkenwerk.  They went from Bulgaria to Austin, then to Tab Funkenwerk in Washington, then to Thiersch in Germany to be reskinned, then back to Washington to be rebuilt (and they got a new dual power supply), and finally, back to Austin.  Took over a year and a half.  There were a lot of moments where I thought I might have bought some very expensive doorstops, but TF made them functionally and cosmetically beautiful again.  

Anyway, Archut died a few years ago, and I'm not sure how much his death affected the value of his creations, but his mics have exploded in value.  He had a hand in making some of the Lucas microphones, and there's a pair of those on reverb right now for $20,000 (!!!).  They're almost the *only* mic I can think of that was made in the last 30 years that has exploded in value like that.

tl;dr :  I'll bet you don't lose money on an Archut-designed anything.

My Neumanns:

IMG-1679.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1