The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

well now we gotta talk about this

2-point-trem.JPG

6-point-trem.jpg

not the saddle pieces (old school ones look cooler but the flat ones are actually more comfortable), 2 point vs 6 point.

Two point, flat saddle pieces is the way to go, as long as it's sitting against the body or at the least set to be parallel to the body.  I know this isn't vintage correct, but it works better than vintage correct.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think of him almost every time I think of acoustic guitar. Nearly synonymous. Those are cool fret markers I must say.

CSB
A decade or so i worked with a woman who had a son, around 13, who fronted a band with other kids that age. Mostly covers, but they played big venues all over SoCal even opening for some pretty big names. They had a huge rehearsal space with a stage and everything. The whole thing was financed by Dave Mustaine. That was the part she really wasn't supposed to tell people. Not sure if his kid was part of it or if he just invested in young acts. I looked up the band a few years ago and they hadn't played since like 2013. Birds of Prey was the band name.

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I think of him almost every time I think of acoustic guitar. Nearly synonymous. Those are cool fret markers I must say.

CSB
A decade or so i worked with a woman who had a son, around 13, who fronted a band with other kids that age. Mostly covers, but they played big venues all over SoCal even opening for some pretty big names. They had a huge rehearsal space with a stage and everything. The whole thing was financed by Dave Mustaine. That was the part she really wasn't supposed to tell people. Not sure if his kid was part of it or if he just invested in young acts. I looked up the band a few years ago and they hadn't played since like 2013. Birds of Prey was the band name.

You think of Mustaine when you think of an acoustic guitar player? Mustaine…..really?

So, today I spent about an hour playing a pedal steel for the first time.  I am fucking hooked.   I think we broached this subject before but do we how any pedal steel guys on here?   I played a GFI Student S-10 with 3 pedals, 4 knee levers.  A preacher at my parent's church in shithole Tx just started playing one in his 'praise band'.  

If I'm still here much longer, we are going to work up a song with me playing this and him singing.  I think we are going to go with this Sam Baker's "Go In Peace" although we messed around with "The Old Rugged Cross" today and that sounded fucking AWESOME on this thing.  He bought his used on Ebay.  Some guy bought it and never played it so he got a decent deal on it.  

Student%20Model%20in%20Black,%203x4,%20f

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, hullabelew said:

So, today I spent about an hour playing a pedal steel for the first time.  I am fucking hooked.   I think we broached this subject before but do we how any pedal steel guys on here?   I played a GFI Student S-10 with 3 pedals, 4 knee levers.  A preacher at my parent's church in shithole Tx just started playing one in his 'praise band'.  

If I'm still here much longer, we are going to work up a song with me playing this and him singing.  I think we are going to go with this Sam Baker's "Go In Peace" although we messed around with "The Old Rugged Cross" today and that sounded fucking AWESOME on this thing.  He bought his used on Ebay.  Some guy bought it and never played it so he got a decent deal on it.  

I have one of these, that I keep meaning to get to fixing up and learning how to play.  I just haven't yet.

image.png.26207b84a43fd2441873e13a5a871a9b.png

• Hook 'Em 1

These GFI steels are made near Branson, MO.  The frames, legs, pedals and some other parts are actually made in this town where I've been since January.  
He showed me how to get from a I to IV to V and I was off.  Of course, they were just simple chords but DAMN it was fun.  

I've always thought those Carter Starter steels were a POS and he said they were.  His FIL has one and said pieces were always falling off and wouldn't stay in tune.  This thing, $1700 new, is built like a tank.  He said the Zum Stage One steels were also much better than Carter Starters, for just a little more money.  

Edited by hullabelew

i really really super duper want to learn how to play pedal steel, and spent a month a few years back getting the hang (a bit) of lapsteel. I need to set up some sort of alert or something to help myself come across one. I feel like if you were a serviceable pedal steel player, you would unlock the ability to do a lot of cool music things and get involved in a lot of different projects.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

These GFI steels are made near Branson, MO.  The frames, legs, pedals and some other parts are actually made in this town where I've been since January.  
He showed me how to get from a I to IV to V and I was off.  Of course, they were just simple chords but DAMN it was fun.  

I've always thought those Carter Starter steels were a POS and he said they were.  His FIL has one and said pieces were always falling off and wouldn't stay in tune.  This thing, $1700 new, is built like a tank.  He said the Zum Stage One steels were also much better than Carter Starters, for just a little more money.  

This is all good info.  Everything I've heard about Carter Starters is their straight crap.  

35 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

We probably need to start another thread on just pedal steel, like we have with pedals and amps. 

Rage GIF

• Haha 2

image.thumb.jpeg.fde1bccd4b2044e21511ddecbedadfca.jpeg

I have had the Reverend Club King 290 for a few days now, enough to decide I like it -- a lot, especially for the money.  People asked for copious details, so I'll give em.

image.thumb.jpeg.fd58174ea4167f3a8f98a37907bb142f.jpeg

I like the look a lot better in person than I did in pics online.  I am not too fond of the 60s retro vibe in general, but it is growing on me.  This is a nice blue metalic color.  I probably would prefer a cream pickguard to match the pickups, but whatever.  Fit and finish all seem good.

image.thumb.jpeg.6a83c86880163f09d034899adcc8d0e0.jpeg

So this one is semi-hollow, P90s and a Bigsby (with a stock roller bridge to boot).  I have been wanting something to do ambient warbly chords for a long time now, and this definitely covers that base.  The guitar is pretty bright, and sounds better through a warm amp (my Friedman) than a glassy clean amp (my Mesa Boogie).  I find myself dialing the tone knob back to get the sounds I want.  With the tone knob cut to 1/3rd it sounds about like my ES-330.

image.thumb.jpeg.b3fdaf36456fe4156cc7b79fcc05a82e.jpeg

The controls are those of a telecaster with Reverend's self-proclaimed secret sauce -- the "bass contour" knob up near the horn.  I like it, too.  It's a passive cut to boomy bass frequencies.  Between the high cut and low cut you can get from muddy to chimey and all points in between.  My favorite sounds come from the middle and neck position with treble cut to 1/2 and bass cut by a 1/4.  Glassy but still some warmth, great for those warbly chords.

image.thumb.jpeg.5b8a391a0128d69fe66ebaba727ce1e9.jpeg

Neck is roasted maple.  I would say it's a medium C type of profile, maybe slightly on the skinnier side.  Its somewhere between my 64 strat and 63 tele in neck size.  No where near my R8 in thickness.  It has a 25.5" scale length which was really important, and it all feels good to me.  Frets are nice, setup was pretty good from the factory.  Immediately playable.

image.thumb.jpeg.8be956ba4164f9a34f54f831a002604a.jpeg

Headstock is kind of goofy, but whatever.  Locking tuners do their job, and are stable so far.  Has a weird string three string tree.

Overall, I really dig the guitar.  Perfect niche guitar that sounds really good, plays really well and did not break the bank.  I'll probably look at other reverends in the future, maybe a charger HB or their airstream 12 string.

image.thumb.jpeg.bd877cd28eb26baae86e204b39949ed5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8560a326e8d650671ab089c049848c2e.jpeg

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Quick tone demo on a track I started working on, showing off the Club King's warbly chord tones.  No melody here, just a chord progression.  One thing I really like about this guitar and how different it is is that it leads me to places I probably wouldn't go with just my strat, tele or les paul.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Niiice. Making that Reverend p90 Bigsby tele more tempting.

I think you'll be happy with it.  The two downsides I can see are looks (like I said, the Jetsons retro thing doesn't really do it for me, but less of an issue for a Tele-type) and resale if you wind up not liking it or otherwise needing to sell it.  The latter can be offset somewhat by buying used.  You'll get someone else's resale hit as a discount to your purchase price.

Edited by Goredho

3 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I was looking up information on @GoredhoReverend when I saw this.

A sort of amalgamation of different styles that for some strange reason appeals to me?

C175A57D-C010-43DC-AE97-C7B889FBF2F8.jpeg

I like the look of that one a lot, too.  Kind of like an SG had sex with a Les Paul Jr and a Rickenbacher headstock was filming from the closet.   Unfortunately it’s a 24.75” scale length guitar, so rules it out for me.  I kind of like the curves on this contender model, too, but also a shorter scale length.

74FD9216-9709-4D5A-8295-9DC6658495ED.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I like the look of that one a lot, too.  Kind of like an SG had sex with a Les Paul Jr and a Rickenbacher headstock was filming from the closet.   Unfortunately it’s a 24.75” scale length guitar, so rules it out for me.  I kind of like the curves on this contender model, too, but also a shorter scale length.

74FD9216-9709-4D5A-8295-9DC6658495ED.jpeg

That just screams rockabilly. The Big’s just looks so natural on that body.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

What is the Bigsby tension like? On that Andertons video they said something about Reverend swapping out the spring on the Bigsby with their guitars.

Feels fine to me, but I have little previous experience.  I have played my brother’s ES-345 with a Bigs a half dozen times and I did not notice this being different. Replacing the spring would be easy.

19 hours ago, Celery Man said:

i really really super duper want to learn how to play pedal steel, and spent a month a few years back getting the hang (a bit) of lapsteel. I need to set up some sort of alert or something to help myself come across one. I feel like if you were a serviceable pedal steel player, you would unlock the ability to do a lot of cool music things and get involved in a lot of different projects.

I thought I responded to this.  You want a 3 pedal, 4 knee level model.   I never figured out what the two right knee levers did, but I'm pretty sure it is fucking cool.  

GFI and Zum Stage One are very good Student/entry level instruments.   Carter Starters?  If someone gives you one, maybe take it, but for just a little more money, you can get a MUCH better instrument.   I've seen them from $500 to $1000 used.   My buddy told me his FIL bought a new Carter and parts are constantly falling off.  Both GFI and Zum can be had for around $1300-$1600 new.   GFI has a 5 month wait list right now.  I found one Zum for $1300, located in Spain but seller gets great reviews and it looks brand new.  The one I played, the guy bought on Ebay with a hard shell case for $1300, plus a volume pedal.  Probably $2200 new for all.  

As far as playing, 8th string is the root.  Bar at that fret for the I chord.  Press pedals 1 and 2 for the IV.  Slide up two frets for the V.  To play a minor, just find the root and use the first pedal.  Within 10 minutes I was playing along with songs on my phone.  Your bolded statement is spot on.   He summed it up:  "In just a couple of weeks, you could play fills and background stuff with any band.  But to get really good will take a lot of work....but DAMN, it is fun to play.  

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

That’s cool.  It definitely has the spring with fewer winds from the pic in that thread, as would be expected.  But since this is the first Bigsby equipped guitar I’ve owned, I don’t know the difference.  The guitar did come with a second spring.  Dunno if people lose them a lot changing strings, or if it’s because the softer spring gets too squishy over time.

That’s cool.  It definitely has the spring with fewer winds from the pic in that thread, as would be expected.  But since this is the first Bigsby equipped guitar I’ve owned, I don’t know the difference.  The guitar did come with a second spring.  Dunno if people lose them a lot changing strings, or if it’s because the softer spring gets too squishy over time.
That spring never falls out, though I change strings on a Bigsby 1 at a tine to keep the tension on it. Its hell to tune if you take them all off at once.

The Bigsby on my Billy Bo needs a taller spring, ive considered putting a quarter or something under it. The arm sits closer to the body than it should. Frankly, they should have put a B5 on that instead of a B3.

B5
BIGSBY_B5-WEB__96904.1600974628.jpg.f69f535e97855471ead52f132740da44.jpg

B3
bigsby-b3-web.thumb.jpg.b796211ba6cf8bb7d84c22ae5e13e420.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, AnotherUTFan said:

That spring never falls out, though I change strings on a Bigsby 1 at a tine to keep the tension on it. Its hell to tune if you take them all off at once. The Bigsby on my Billy Bo needs a taller spring, ive considered putting a quarter or something under it. The arm sits closer to the body than it should. Frankly, they should have put a B5 on that instead of a B3.

BIGSBY_B5-WEB__96904.1600974628.jpgbigsby-b3-web.jpg

I’ll try to string one at a time next time, thanks for the tip.  I have changed strings once, removing them all and didn’t realize the spring would just fall out when the whole thing flopped open.

I’ll try to string one at a time next time, thanks for the tip.  I have changed strings once, removing them all and didn’t realize the spring would just fall out when the whole thing flopped open.
A lot of people avoid Bigsby's because they are afraid of stringing them. Personally, i dont find it too bad. I put a bend in the string right where the eyelet fits onto the pin. A lot of people will use one of those big pencil erasers to to wedge between the eyelet and body to hold it in place while bringing it to tune. I seem to do fine without one. You might find some helpful tips on YouTube. Everybody's got their own take on stringing a Bigsby.
  • Hook 'Em 1