The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I didn't realize how difficult it is these days to find just regularass electrical wire at a regularass store to work on guitars with. I'm almost starting to miss Radio Shack.

I'm having to scavenge boxes of junk to vulture wire from.

3 minutes ago, DougO said:

I didn't realize how difficult it is these days to find just regularass electrical wire at a regularass store to work on guitars with. I'm almost starting to miss Radio Shack.

Where are you?

After looking through dozens of videos, reviews, specs and whatnot on Tele pickups over the past couple of weeks, I finally decided to order a Fender Pure Vintage 64 for $40 on eBay (supposedly new) and pair it with the Van Zandt I have stashed away. Should sound pretty dang groovy if I don't feck it up.

But I was really tempted to get a set of Nocasters. I probably will someday.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Where are you?

Temple/Belton ish area. I was going to try the auto parts stores, but I got tired of shopping and figured I could find something stashed away. Wal Mart had some 16 gauge wire but that's a little thick. Home Deephole had 22 gauge bell wire, but no small strand wire. I found some stuff in my stash I can use for now, but it would be nice to collect some various colored wire that is suitable for future projects, without having to pay stupid price for "fancy special guitar wire" online.

The prevailing thought is that the internet was invented to watch black people react to music:

Edited to add:  It's pr0n because that's The Beast homeboy is playing.  Also, it's not.  I'm pretty sure it's a run-of-the-mill 1959 $450k Les Paul.

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 1

I too miss Radio Shack DougO, there's 2 in San Francisco and they are a shell of what they used to be.

I buy 90% of what I need for amp and guitar work, as well as Shaggy Screamer building, at Antique Electronic Supply, their prices are consistently among the best I find and they do a lot of flash sales.

www.tubesandmore.com

1 hour ago, DougO said:

https://www.theonion.com/even-ceo-cant-figure-out-how-radioshack-still-in-busine-1819569077

• Like 2

Delicate snowflakes...

https://reverb.com/news/tc-electronic-pulls-controversial-preset-from-toneprint-after-outcry

TC Electronic made news earlier this week, when controversy arose surrounding the name of a signature artist preset available on the company’s TonePrint app. Made by guitarist Satchel from the comedic glam metal band Steel Panther, the “Pussy Melter” preset could be downloaded from the app for use with the company’s classic Flashback Delay pedal.

Guitarist Jessica Fennelly started the conversation on Monday, when she posted an Instagram photo of the Pussy Melter’s listing on the TonePrint website. In part, the TC Electronic listing read, “When we met up with Steel Panther’s oh-so-humble guitarist, he had only one condition: that the tone be as wet as the ladies on the front row!

Their shows are lewd and hilarious af. Always surprises me when I see kids in the audience. And there are always kids in the audience.

Saw them at the Whiskey two years ago or something. Had a blast. Satchel is a fun guitarist with some respectable chops.

But even I winced at that Toneprint announcement. Lol

5 hours ago, BoomMF said:

The prevailing thought is that the internet was invented to watch black people react to music:

Edited to add:  It's pr0n because that's The Beast homeboy is playing.  Also, it's not.  I'm pretty sure it's a run-of-the-mill 1959 $450k Les Paul.

After all the stuff this dude has heard for the first time, I am curious as to what he still listens to.

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I can't believe there isn't an electrical supply shop in the area.  You could have something sent from Amazon same day or next.

I just realized today that I have a bigass spool of telephone wire for running it to different rooms in the house. I wonder how that stuff would work if I take it apart. It's all color coded and everything.

After all the stuff this dude has heard for the first time, I am curious as to what he still listens to.

His schtick, along with most of those channels, is that he was raised on hip-hop and that's the extent of his familiarity. His metal and blues reactions are entertaining.

Best of this subgenre is Lost In Vegas, imo. They mostly do metal, but have moved to country as well. Their Chris Stapleton Tennessee Whiskey reaction is pretty entertaining. ("I feel like somebody black should have told me about this song!")

10 hours ago, BoomMF said:

$700 used, bro.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grandioso said:

Don't get me wrong. If someone said, "hey Grandioso, do you want this beautiful, crazy ass PRS that can voice virtually ever major modern electric guitar design?" ...I would accept that gift.

Which could be a dual namesake along with recently departed Matt "Guitar" Murphy.

Does anybody own a Gretsch Electromatic, Jet or Duosonic? New or vintage, doesn't matter. Basically any Gretsch solidbody or chambered solidbody. I feel like that could be a great alternative to a Les Paul for me. From an aesthetic perspective, Les Pauls are obviously gorgeous. From a sonic perspective, same thing. But the shape, center of gravity, and top of the Les Paul have always felt uncomfortable and awkward from a pure playing standpoint.

I'm still not clear - do you mean does anyone own a Gretsch Electromatic DuoJet (duosonic is the Fender, I get that mixed up all the time as well).  I have a Duo Jet, it is not an Electromatic.  And it's in really bad shape, may need a lot of metal parts replaced.  That was the one I took on several tours including Warped (lot of being ridden hard and then literally put up wet) and then got depressed and put it away for a couple of years while I played acoustics.  At any rate, it's a great guitar that needs to be resurrected. But obviously it sounds different than an LP even just from the pickups (filtertrons on that one).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grandioso said:

But the shape, center of gravity, and top of the Les Paul have always felt uncomfortable and awkward from a pure playing standpoint.

I have a chambered Gretsch.  Yeah, shape and center of gravity both probably better than a Les Paul.  "Top" (I assume you mean the way right palm rests on bridge?) = debatable.  

Gretsches are cool as hell in my book.  If you want to be a bit different from the herd, but you still want a guitar with both pedigree and panache, Gretsch and Rickenbacker are calling.

But like Celery says, it's a different animal.  A little more twang, a little less sustain, a little less power (all generalizations).

On 7/11/2018 at 12:14 PM, Paul Wesley said:

So I went scavenging around my shed and went through a box of electronics crap that I've been waiting for an opportunity to recycle. Found an old PC power supply with cables. It turns out those connections have the perfect wire for guitar stuff, and multi colored options. So I'm good for a while.

It took me a while to find some Gibsons that felt right to me, and apart from playing style changing such that I now find the volume knob to be in the way, the strat is the most perfect feeling guitar to me.  Just to set a baseline of what feels good to me.  Both of my Gretsches were guitars that jumped into my hand and felt perfect.  I was on tube run during a recording session when I bought my 6120N.  I was helping a friend pick out a guitar and was really trying to get him to buy a duo jet we found, and went back and bought it when he bought a jaguar instead.  I haven't played a ton of Electromatics, so I can't speak about the difference, but those Japanese FMIC Gretsches are great instruments.

• Like 1

Ok, yeah I have this all fucked up. I didn't realize Electrosonic was kind of a tier 2 line, and not a model. I guess I'm asking about anything Jet or Penguin. Oh damn, they also make a solid body Chet Atkins. 

2400541822_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

Seems like a Duesenberg might be a cool LP alternative also. But I'm going to have to inform my boss that he needs to give me a raise. 

So I went scavenging around my shed and went through a box of electronics crap that I've been waiting for an opportunity to recycle. Found an old PC power supply with cables. It turns out those connections have the perfect wire for guitar stuff, and multi colored options. So I'm good for a while.

Did you find the flux capacitor while you were in there?

Anyone else imagine DougO’s shed as Dr. Brown’s lab with more guitars?

Switched the Deluxe Tele noiseless for the Arlos yesterday. Due to wiring the luthier installed an Emerson 4 way so the punch S1 knob is gone. 

PM me if anyone wants the noiseless tack....free to a good home. First come.....

Edited by noharleyyet