The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On the bright side of the saddle thing, it looks like the wrong-size vintage style bent saddles I pulled off the Tele actually fit my cheap MIM SE Strat perfectly. I can replace the cheapo Squier looking chinese block tuners that came with it. It may be time to go into full upgrade mode, replace the switch and pots, maybe throw in some American Strat pickups I have left over.

Edited by DougO

16 hours ago, DougO said:

Fender guy finally replied to my inquiry yesterday. He directed me to a retailer that has the correct screws in stock, even two sets to choose from, a "short set" and a "long set". He said the package should include four of the 5/16" and eight 3/8" screws, which is what I want. And that was the SHORT set.

The store he referred was the same idiot store that sold me saddles with the vertically challenged set of screws. Yet on the store site he lists the same package and part number as being 9/32", which is shorter than even 5/16".

I wrote the Fender guy back and told him, and expressed my lack of confidence in that retailer, since he already fucked me over once and never replied when I emailed them about it.

Fender guy writes back, "here's another option" and shows me a link to some black screws by a third party. No other attempt to rectify the situation.

Petty damn weak.

Sounds like you're getting.... screwed. 

giphy.webp

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I can't even imagine what Vince Gill's guitar collection is worth.  It has to be in the many millions.  That's terrible about the flood . . . oof.  No matter how rich he is, that must have been devastating.

That's what I was thinking.  Just as a guitar dude, it had to be gut wrenching.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I can't even imagine what Vince Gill's guitar collection is worth.  It has to be in the many millions.  That's terrible about the flood . . . oof.  No matter how rich he is, that must have been devastating.

The pictures of all of the guitars lost in that flood are truly devastating.  

NGBSSD!

telebridge.jpg

Still tweaking, gotta intonate, but I finally got to plug it in with real Tele pickups after installing the Van Zandt in the bridge and Pure Vintage 64 in the neck. Incredible difference, as it really sounds like a legit Tele now. At first it was really bright to my ears at the amps previous settings, but once I got the string height and pickup height tweaked it sounded much better. The PV64 is really clear and bluesy. I probably would have preferred something a little more bassy, but it can deliver some really nice, sweet tones. The Van Zandt sounds like a classic Tele twanger. I could have matched up a better combo if I really wanted to try a few more pickups, but I'm cool with these.

I'm also kinda proud of myself for the soldering job. It's been over a decade since I tried installing pickups. I didn't mess with any of the scary looking stuff in the chain, just tapped in the two wires from each one. There's no noise at all that ain't supposed to be there. Fortunately, the pickups were reverse polarity and reverse wound, so no problems getting the noise cancellation thing going on.

• Like 1

So I have what could be a ngd occasion coming up. If I do it, I’m thinking about something with different pickups than my standard humbuckers and single coils.

So, today I played a les Paul classic with p90s, a Duesenberg Star Player TV, and a $400 Chinese Gretsch Jet.

I couldn’t get the cheap Gretsch in tune very well but I came away digging it a lot more than I expected. In looking online I think I need to go check out a Players Edition Jet or a Vintage Select Duo Jet. But basically I know very little about Gretsch Jets. Can someone learn me smart on the ins and outs of them?

Chambered bodies, very light.  Filtertron (humbucker) vs Dynasonic (single coil) pickups.  Bigsby or a trapeze tail.

My Jet in better days.  I'm going to get it fixed up to look like this again.  I may need to get new pickups and a new bridge.  Maybe I'll go TV Jones and Bigsby.

duojet.jpg

i miss that piece of shit office too

• Like 2

Today is his birthday and I revealed this at 12:00am.  I hid it for a couple of weeks and things have been crazy in the house because I just started a new job and it has required some major adjustments in our routine.  He's been a champ and rolled with it and has been incredibly supportive.  Anyway, I made him hide while I set it up on a stand and turned on the lights so that he could see it in it's relative glory.  He had no idea what the hell I was doing.  I'm not shitting you, when he saw it the first thing out of his mouth was "Slash."  I couldn't believe it.  I teared up a bit because that's what I was going for and you all helped me out.  Actually, you all hooked me up.  Then he had so many questions about how I found it and ....well, he was excited about the thought that went into it and was blindsided by it.  Then I tried to explain humbuckers, P90's, and tube vs solid state amps.  I stopped.  Today was a good day.  Thanks yo you all!

IMG_20180628_165915.jpganonymous image hosting

That is bitchin’. Hell. Fuckin’. Yes!

• Like 1

Today is his birthday and I revealed this at 12:00am.  I hid it for a couple of weeks and things have been crazy in the house because I just started a new job and it has required some major adjustments in our routine.  He's been a champ and rolled with it and has been incredibly supportive.  Anyway, I made him hide while I set it up on a stand and turned on the lights so that he could see it in it's relative glory.  He had no idea what the hell I was doing.  I'm not shitting you, when he saw it the first thing out of his mouth was "Slash."  I couldn't believe it.  I teared up a bit because that's what I was going for and you all helped me out.  Actually, you all hooked me up.  Then he had so many questions about how I found it and ....well, he was excited about the thought that went into it and was blindsided by it.  Then I tried to explain humbuckers, P90's, and tube vs solid state amps.  I stopped.  Today was a good day.  Thanks yo you all!

This is awesome. I didn't contribute much to your search since the other guys had it covered, but this is why we come here. Well done.
  • Like 1

Which are better: filtertron or dynasonic?
Both.

Both are Gretsch twangy, but your either a crunchier, humbucker, Filtertron guy or a cleaner, single coil, dynasonic guy.

Personally, I have a Filtertron and a Powertron Gretsch, but I sold my 1958 Jet with Dynasonics to a guy who loved it a whole lot more than I did.

Take this from a guy who owns 6 Gibsons to 1 Fender guitar. I've accepted that I'm a humbucker guy.

3 hours ago, tigol said:

Proving again why this is the best thread on the board.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tigol said:

Awesome 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tigol said:

That guy owes you big time.  Good job.

• Like 1

So do you guys just by cheap squires and gut them and put better parts in? Instead of buying high end guitars

I have done this. I have an Indonesian squire strat. I replaced everything except the body because I liked the graphic. It’s a great player but it still doesn’t have the vibe that my am std strat does. Some of that could have been my choice of replacement pickups and neck, but I think some of it is the wood too.

11 hours ago, tbone_ said:

So I have what could be a ngd occasion coming up. If I do it, I’m thinking about something with different pickups than my standard humbuckers and single coils.

So, today I played a les Paul classic with p90s, a Duesenberg Star Player TV, and a $400 Chinese Gretsch Jet.

I couldn’t get the cheap Gretsch in tune very well but I came away digging it a lot more than I expected. In looking online I think I need to go check out a Players Edition Jet or a Vintage Select Duo Jet. But basically I know very little about Gretsch Jets. Can someone learn me smart on the ins and outs of them?

What did you think of the Duesenberg? Paul's given me a itch for one. 

I have a friend who operates somewhat quietly in a pretty elite group of players -- guys you know from King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, Zappa, among others -- and he has seemingly switched permanently from a vintage Strat to a Duesenberg.  He absolutely loves it.

2nd time I’ve played one and honestly, I didn’t totally love it. Maybe because it was at GC and it’s hard to get a read on anything in that God forsaken place. I’d really like to try it out at home with some peace and quiet with my own rig. Seems like somehow that ought to be possible at the $2k level.

But like I said, I did kind of dig the Gretsch.

2nd time I’ve played one and honestly, I didn’t totally love it. Maybe because it was at GC and it’s hard to get a read on anything in that God forsaken place. I’d really like to try it out at home with some peace and quiet with my own rig. Seems like somehow that ought to be possible at the $2k level.

But like I said, I did kind of dig the Gretsch.

I only played Duesenberg’s in GC as well, and didn’t dig them. They didn’t feel good to play but they were likely horrendously set up and abused. Or maybe they have a cheaper line and I was playing those?

They do look cool though.

Awwwwww, yisssssss!

Extraordinarily well played, ma’am. Bravissimo.
  • Like 1

Copy & pasted:

Adorama.com has Gretsch G2655T Streamliner Double Cut Electric Guitar w/ Bigsby B50 Vibrato Tailpiece for $319.99 when you apply coupon code SUMMERHEAT (at checkout under the payment section). Shipping is free. Thanks iconian

Adorama.com has Fender American Special Stratocaster Electric Guitar (Mystic Seafoam) on sale for $1049.99 - $350.99 w/ promo code Summertime = $699. Shipping is free. Thanks iconian

Adorama.com also has Fender Limited Edition American Professional Stratocaster Electric Guitar (Surf Pearl) on sale for $1549.99 - $550.99 w/ promo code SUMMERHEAT = $999. Shipping is free.

• Like 1

Just took my partscaster in for a setup at Strait.  My instructor pointed out that my nut was too high and causing intonation problems on the first few frets due to the steep angle to hit the fret leaving the string too long.  Might also get the bridge replaced.  If I do I was thinking of a Fender Standard (MIM) bridge and might get it blocked.  What do y'all think?