The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

OK, back to guitar stuff...

I'm trying to decide what to do about replacing the pickups on my recently acquired American Standard Tele. The previous dipshit owner put the noisless N3 pickups on it. Bridge is useable but the neck pickup is pretty much doodoo.

I can get just a neck pickup and throw on the Van Zandt that I have had stashed away for ages (though it needs some wire extension). Or I can get a neck pickup for now and worry about the other one later. Or I can buy a set.

I was looking at the Twang King neck, but I just don't know. I have heard some good samples online, and some not so good, but mostly just poor samples.Richie Kotzen uses them, and I'm a fan. But his tone is his tone, and really buzzy and wet, so it's hard to tell what his pickups even sound like with settings I would use. I don't really want to sound like him, but I would like a clear sounding non-muddy neck pickup that can get some decent chunk with distortion or sound really sweet playing blues.

I like what I've heard of the Twisted Tele neck, but they don't sell them separately from the set, and even Fender doesn't put both on the same guitar. Just a neck pickups can only be had from a sketchy ebay independent dude, not a retail store that would have a reliable return policy if I get a dud or something. And they're $159 a set, and I really hate blowing that kind of cash on a guitar that I just paid a lot of money for (for me). Most people love them on the neck, but not so much in the bridge, so I don't really want to buy the set. I already had to scavenge the earth for a set of the correct bent saddles that actually fit the guitar, unlike the too wide ones the previous moron put on them for some stupid faget reason, so that's already $26 I have had to pay in idiot tax.

It turns out there was a big price drop on a set of Fender Original Vintage tele pickups. With the current coupon at MF I can get them for $71, basically two for the price of one. That kinda thing worked for 50 years of Tele playing or so, so I'm kinda leaning in that direction. They are based on early 50s models and the get really good reviews in the forums. The 60s based Pure Vintage are almost as cheap, but I'm thinking the OV are probably more what I would like.

Finding decent comparison samples online is difficult. Most people suck at making good videos.

19 minutes ago, DougO said:

OK, back to guitar stuff...

I'm trying to decide what to do about replacing the pickups on my recently acquired American Standard Tele. The previous dipshit owner put the noisless N3 pickups on it. Bridge is useable but the neck pickup is pretty much doodoo.

I can get just a neck pickup and throw on the Van Zandt that I have had stashed away for ages (though it needs some wire extension). Or I can get a neck pickup for now and worry about the other one later. Or I can buy a set.

I was looking at the Twang King neck, but I just don't know. I have heard some good samples online, and some not so good, but mostly just poor samples.Richie Kotzen uses them, and I'm a fan. But his tone is his tone, and really buzzy and wet, so it's hard to tell what his pickups even sound like with settings I would use. I don't really want to sound like him, but I would like a clear sounding non-muddy neck pickup that can get some decent chunk with distortion or sound really sweet playing blues.

I like what I've heard of the Twisted Tele neck, but they don't sell them separately from the set, and even Fender doesn't put both on the same guitar. Just a neck pickups can only be had from a sketchy ebay independent dude, not a retail store that would have a reliable return policy if I get a dud or something. And they're $159 a set, and I really hate blowing that kind of cash on a guitar that I just paid a lot of money for (for me). Most people love them on the neck, but not so much in the bridge, so I don't really want to buy the set. I already had to scavenge the earth for a set of the correct bent saddles that actually fit the guitar, unlike the too wide ones the previous moron put on them for some stupid faget reason, so that's already $26 I have had to pay in idiot tax.

It turns out there was a big price drop on a set of Fender Original Vintage tele pickups. With the current coupon at MF I can get them for $71, basically two for the price of one. That kinda thing worked for 50 years of Tele playing or so, so I'm kinda leaning in that direction. They are based on early 50s models and the get really good reviews in the forums. The 60s based Pure Vintage are almost as cheap, but I'm thinking the OV are probably more what I would like.

Finding decent comparison samples online is difficult. Most people suck at making good videos.

Contact Rob. Tell him what you're looking for. 

http://www.frettech.com/

You know what's funny? I'm playing my Am. Standard and Squier Bullet side by side through my bassbreaker 007, and the Bullet is so much more fun to hear. It sounds like a real Tele, it's twangy AF, got that classic bouncey thing and dynamics.  If it were only a little less harsh at full treble and a little more clarity in the neck position I could have been pretty happy with that in my high dollar axe. By comparison the Fender N3s sound almost like playing an SG through a Line 6 POD. Nice rock crunch, but narrow dynamics, pushing the hot mids.

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

Teles are simple guitars. I feel like they can overthink them.

I wish the dolt who owned my guitar before had left it alone...except for the sweet tortoise shell pickguard.

I'm not normally an overly nitpicky guy about stuff like this, but I'm having to undo some wrongs here and make this thing a Tele again.

I wish the dolt who owned my guitar before had left it alone...except for the sweet tortoise shell pickguard.

I'm not normally an overly nitpicky guy about stuff like this, but I'm having to undo some wrongs here and make this thing a Tele again.

That’s where the deals are to be found. Also I get pangs of doubt when messing with a stock guitar. If someone has already messed with it before me, well, it’ll never be original again so I can go hog wild. I know it’s nuts but that’s just a guitar quirk I have.

38 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

That’s where the deals are to be found. Also I get pangs of doubt when messing with a stock guitar. If someone has already messed with it before me, well, it’ll never be original again so I can go hog wild. I know it’s nuts but that’s just a guitar quirk I have.

The Chewbaca Relic Defense.

Guy on TDPRI had almost your same dilemma. Thought it might have been you, but he made his decision already. He was down to an Origin and the Princeton. Went and played both. Chose the Princeton. Just sayin'.

"What is it going to take to get you into a Princeton Reverb today?"

14 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

Fucking hell. I've lived my whole life thinking he bit it with Ronnie in that crash.

Yeah, that was Steve & Cassie Gaines.

Remember the Rossington Collins Band?  I'm not sure how long they were around, but they were essentially the remains of LS.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I'm kinda the same way. If I buy something brand new, that's what it's supposed to be, until it gets messed up or something. Something cheap and imported, it's just a canvas for whatever momentary whim I may have. That's why I tend to enjoy buying pawn shop bargains more than buying new or slightly used stuff. Low risk/high reward.

I've thought about upgrading this Squier Bullet Tele, but it's so fn' awesome just the way it is I hate to mess with it, even though it's only a $150 guitar brand new. The only major thing I might do is someday put something on the headstock, which looks so cheap with just the stamped black Squier logo on plain looking wood.

It even stays in tune pretty good now since I've gotten it broken in, and smoothed out the frets from playing it and just rubbing the strings over the wires up and down the neck.

Edited by DougO

7 hours ago, Grandioso said:

I talked to a guy last night who was really talking up the Roger Waters bass. But Deej is selling me that Princeton like he was a used car dealer.

Let's put it to a vote. Princeton, RW bass, or Marshall Origin. Final bracket.

The Princeton is tried and true and probably here to stay. Newfangled amps will get cheaper after the fad wears off and they come up with something else. And Waters is kind of a dick. But he probably played a fairly stock bass in his prime.

54 minutes ago, DougO said:

The Princeton is tried and true and probably here to stay. Newfangled amps will get cheaper after the fad wears off and they come up with something else. And Waters is kind of a dick. But he probably played a fairly stock bass in his prime.

100% this.  If you want a "RW" bass, just by a black P-bass and be done with it.

4 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Amazon has this Bluetooth Marshall speaker on sale on its Deal of the Day for $170:

41OMh3z+6VL._AC_SY400_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Stanmore-Bluetooth-Speaker-04091627/dp/B01FSUJQOC

Would be cool in a guitar room.

Thank you!  I've been stalking that thing for a while now and would have missed it if you hadn't posted.  That is an amazing price.  It doesn't ship for a month but that's fine.  Great deal.