The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

In my pawn shop foray I found a 2012 G & L S 500 tribute for $335. It has one small crack near the output Jack but plays beautifully what do y'all think?  I would love a white one but this one is cream. Comes with a  hard case

Edited by TexasEd

59 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

In my pawn shop foray I found a 2012 G & L S 500 tribute for $335. It has one small crack near the output Jack but plays beautifully what do y'all think?  I would love a white one but this one is cream. Comes with a  hard case

If the crack is superficial, go for it. Easy enough to stop that crack from going further.

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

I would wait it out until the 4th when there will probably be an MF stupid deal of the hour. Good chance there will be at least one or two G&L deals if you check every hour.

That's a good deal. I just bought a brand new one (cream color) for $445*, and doesn't even come with a gig bag.

If I had found the one you did, I would've jumped on it.

* I ordered it last Friday, and can't wait to have it delivered on Monday. My wife is gonna have a cow when I bring it home.

25 minutes ago, DougO said:

I would wait it out until the 4th when there will probably be an MF stupid deal of the hour. Good chance there will be at least one or two G&L deals if you check every hour.

Have there been S-500s for SDOTDs? I bought mine at Music World 28, which is the lowest price I found. Most are still going for $500+.

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

Great sustain, but it will cut though your jeans and slice your dick off while playing low slung.

Edited by DougO

Pictures of the Pawn Shop find.  The Glue from that sticker looks nasty.  I could not tell if it was Elmer's or just sticker residue but it was thicker than you would expect.  Is the volume Pot supposed to be so high off the body?

Looked like it was barely played.

20180630_120150_zpspilydali.jpg

20180630_120155_zpszr66ga6f.jpg

20180630_120221_zps9o5fxxlj.jpg

20180630_120240_zpso9fdee6a.jpg

20180630_120227_zpsosdakcp2.jpg

20180630_120640_zpsqknl9xog.jpg

Edited by TexasEd

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

Have there been S-500s for SDOTDs? I bought mine at Music World 28, which is the lowest price I found. Most are still going for $500+.

They had this Legacy in the last month or two. I've seen a couple of their strat types on the SDOTD here and there in the past year.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-tribute-legacy-electric-guitar/l10442?rNtt=G&L tribute&index=7#productDetail

Pictures of the Pawn Shop find.  The Glue from that sticker looks nasty.  I could not tell if it was Elmer's or just sticker residue but it was thicker than you would expect.  Is the volume Pot supposed to be so high off the body?

20180630_120240_zpso9fdee6a.jpg

One of the pots is push-pull so you turn on the neck pickup in all positions.

The pickups are called MDFs. Made in Fullerton and supposed to be pretty hot.  

12 minutes ago, Superhero said:

One of the pots is push-pull so you turn on the neck pickup in all positions.

The pickups are called MDFs. Made in Fullerton and supposed to be pretty hot.  

Yeah, but that is supposed to be one of the tone pots.  The volume looks like it is either set high or has the wrong cap for the shaft.

On 6/29/2018 at 12:22 PM, Mojo Hand said:

Same.   His strumming rhythm on that song is incomparable. 

The Live at Winterland version is badass too. As far as what Jimi was doing on the neck - all that trilling and using his thumb - it helped that he had the hands of a Harlem Globetrotter. He makes that Strat look like a Fisher Price toy.

8 hours ago, DougO said:

So I went and listened to side by side Legacy and S500 playing and went back to wanting more natural strat sound.  I've been looking for a MIM strat but saw that the old SDOTD for a Legacy Tribute was about $300 so now I might focus on that.  

Currently it says they are out of Legacy Tributes except for Sonic blue with inventory not expected until after Independence Day but I'll watch.

If anyone wants that S500 I'll send you the location.  With the hard case it is a good deal and you might get it down to 300.

Edited by TexasEd

I ordered a cheap vintage tortoise shell pickguard for my black Mexico Strat. I get bored with black and white. I blew all my new guitar money already, so this is the only way to kind of get a new guitar. I think it will look cool as long as it fits right.

I have a dark wine red strat, burgundy-ish (almost aggy), that is so dark I thought it was black when I bought it. But it was a deal I couldn't pass up at the time. I've been trying to think of a PG combo that would make me like the look of it but not a lot seems to work. I don't really want to go foo foo pearl with it. I probably should have sold it long ago to get something I really like, but it's all stock, mid-90s USA.

35 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Anyone recognize this logo?  Seems to have high end components like Graph Tech Ratio locking tuners, Seymour Duncan Jimmy Hendrix pickups, and a very nice neck.

20180702_083244_zps34l3fkaz.jpg

Looks like a custom decal.  I had a similar (better, IMHO) one made for my parts-Tele. 

22 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

How did you accomplish this?

It all started long ago when there was this awesome website with a bunch of guys who posted pics of their guitars and then I asked them where I could get a decal.  They were most helpful and had great suggestions.  

Then I dug around a bit further on my own and found this guy:  http://bennettdecals.wixsite.com/decals

He did exactly what I wanted, how I wanted it done.  

Some of the other guys I ran across who do similar stuff, but I can't personally vouch for:

http://oldfret.com/fender-headstock-decals.htm (this guy only does replicas, won't do new work)

https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/decals-c1/guitar-decals-c2

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Headstock-Decals_c_598.html

There are tons.  Even more now than when I started this quest ages ago.  A  google search of "custom headstock decal" will get you there.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I assume there is no way to serialize the decals?  (Asking for a friend.)

That probably depends.  If you're asking him to make "Fender Stratocaster serial no. X"  he's not going to do that.  If you're asking him to do "Jimmy's Motherfucking Kickass No. 1 Jizzmaster" he'll do that for you (so long as it'll fit on the headstock).  You can ask him to put whatever you want on the decal. For example, instead of "with synchronized tremelo" underneath where "Stratocaster" usually is, I had "Custom Assembled in Dallas, Texas."  You can't really see that unless you're up close anyhow.  It was more about the continuity of the overall look for me.  

Bottom line, if you're trying to put a trademarked name on it (i.e., Telecaster) he'll hem and haw and ask you to avoid doing it. Especially if you're trying to combine that with a serial.  I think everything else is fair game as long as it doesn't seem like you're trying to work in some overt fraud by calling your parts-caster a Fender and drag him into it by straight up copying a Fender decal.  

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, nothing trademarked (except by me).  Just wondering if I could have each decal with a different S/N.  Obviously it would cost more.

I'll bet you could make a deal with him.  He was willing to work with me and there's always a discount for volume.  

Yeah, I'll email him.  I've built a few guitars for friends and have a "brand" (and a logo) but I've never used it.  Just left the headstocks blank.  If I could get a sheet of say 2 dozen sequentially serialized logos it would last the rest of my life.