The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wouldn't an Epiphone LP be a better choice, at least looks-wise?

Looks-wise fits the Slash thing. But I think the PRS SE line is a superior value. Get a single cut with a nice looking maple top and and it can still be semi-Slashy, but a better guitar that can get the same kinds of Les Paulish sounds, imo.

prs-se-singlecut-tobacco-sunburst-124640

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

The Vox AC4 also gets good reviews.  If you’re in Austin, there’s one on Craigslist for $140.  That amp is nice, because it has lower wattage modes (1/4 Watt, 1 Watt, and 4 Watts).  

If you don’t buy it, I might.

I got a Vox AC4 12 last year, fantastic amp. $379 new at MF. I got mine at a pawn shop for around $175, I think.

I got a Vox AC4 12 last year, fantastic amp. $379 new at MF. I got mine at a pawn shop for around $175, I think.
I couldn't get rid of my AC4C1 fast enough. Man, that thing was thin and shrill. Maybe the 12 inch speaker would have helped.

Tigol,

Can you make your way to something like this?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ORI5Cd--marshall-origin-ori5c-5-watt-1x8-inch-tube-combo-amp

Sweetwater has a demo available for $400.

I think the smart play is a Katana, but I don't know how your husband feels about solid state. I imagine it won't excite him like playing through a tube amp as God intended. If he's big on Slash, having an amp with a Marshall logo on it might also give him the warm and fuzzies when he's trying for the umpteenth time to nail Sweet Child O Mine (I kid because I care). Any excuse to keep practicing and playing is a worthy excuse. (Side note: The Katana will wipe the floor with an Origin, and all the other amps here suggested, in everything but cool factor. But if he's a straight male he'll probably flip out opening a Marshall box. You will be a hero with the Origin and he'll get a great amp.)

That used Les Paul Studio you linked would be perfect, imo, apart from the paint job. An Epiphone in a burst would be my second choice. But with that budget, you should be able to steal a Gibson.

EDIT: How did I miss the Edwards Les Paul Superhero posted! Mmmm tasty. All you would need is a comically large tophat.

ANOTHER EDIT: Dur, you already have the amp covered. Congrats. It might help if I read the WHOLE thread before I jump in, guns blazing. But is that how you're supposed to internet? I think not.

Edited by BoomMF

2 hours ago, DougO said:

Looks-wise fits the Slash thing. But I think the PRS SE line is a superior value. Get a single cut with a nice looking maple top and and it can still be semi-Slashy, but a better guitar that can get the same kinds of Les Paulish sounds, imo.

prs-se-singlecut-tobacco-sunburst-124640

What’s the price range? 

My take is that an adult beginner who plucks around and doesn't have aspirations of getting awesome would be best served by something like the Katana amp and all of the easy access to effects.    I think he'd enjoy that a lot more than a tube amp. And if he gets deeply into it, he can always change later. 

And a used Gibson Les Paul is the way to go, IMO.  Do you live in Austin?  We can check out Craigslist for you. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

My take is that an adult beginner who plucks around and doesn't have aspirations of getting awesome would be best served by something like the Katana amp and all of the easy access to effects.    I think he'd enjoy that a lot more than a tube amp. And if he gets deeply into it, he can always change later. 

And a used Gibson Les Paul is the way to go, IMO.  Do you live in Austin?  We can check out Craigslist for you. 

Thanks!  I'm in Austin daily.

I just think that starting out, a Katana is the way to go. They really do sound great, and have some versatility. Ya'll have seen my room full of amps. Most small wattage. The only amp I play more than the Katana, at this point, is my Princeton, because, you know, it's a Princeton. Serious bang for your buck, the Katana. More than a few guys on TDPRI are gigging their Katanas and seem very happy. There's always time to figure out what you want from what some of you would call a "real amp." You arent out much dough to start out, then move up.

3 minutes ago, DougO said:

The whale blue is super nice. I have it on a high end version. PRS Vine Mcarty 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Ask him, "it comes with the case, right?" And if you do end up going for it, make sure you look up and down the neck and headstock closely to make sure there are no cracks. 

And I've asked the questions.  No response yet, but it is Saturday and he's in SM.  Dude is probably in a tube on the river.

51 minutes ago, DougO said:

Pretty good deal on a MIM Standard Strat at Adorama.

$450

Adorama has Fender Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar (Brown Sunburst) on sale for $449.99 when you apply coupon code summertime at checkout. Shipping is free. Thanks iconian

Shit.  Talk me out of this one.  That is a great price for his first electric and eliminates the bullshit of haggling with the SM guy.

Here's a damn good deal. I haven't picked up a Gretch in so long I have no idea.

Gretsch G2655T Streamliner Center Block Jr. Double Cut Electric Guitar

$339
+ Free Shipping

+17 Deal Score
7,312 Views 21 Comments
Adorama.com has Gretsch G2655T Streamliner Center Block Jr. Double Cut Electric Guitar w/ Bigsby B50 Vibrato Tailpiece for $339 when you apply coupon code SUMMERTIME (at checkout under the payment section). Shipping is free. Thanks iconian

23 minutes ago, tigol said:

Shit.  Talk me out of this one.  That is a great price for his first electric and eliminates the bullshit of haggling with the SM guy.

What is your timeline? If you can, maybe wait until the weekend of the July 4 and see if there are any major deals.

1 minute ago, DougO said:

What is your timeline? If you can, maybe wait until the weekend of the July 4 and see if there are any major deals.

CL Dude emailed me and I offered $675.  I really want to get this done quickly.  Two week timeline.  I'd love to sit back and shop, but I don't have time due to work schedules and his birthday, etc.

8 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I mean, it ain’t new anymore. I paid $680 for my $1000 telecaster. It was a little older than this one, but still.

Truth.  I think we've settled at $700, but I won't know unit it's in my hands.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

If he’s into Slash, he’ll have his socks knocked off by a Les Paul. I mean even minus the Slash thing, that’s an epic level gift, I think you’re going good work.

Aw, man.  My feels!  Thanks to everyone for helping me out here.  Bottom line, I think he'll get a badass guitar/amp combo thanks to surly.  I promise to post pics of the Seagull, Banjo, and Les Paul if it all comes together.  

55 minutes ago, tigol said:

The discounted MIM Strat is a good guitar at a very good price.  The Stratocaster in general is a great all-around guitar, and its shape makes it great for couch playing.  This series is made in Mexico, and is a cheaper line than the American Stratocasters, but it's still a good guitar. 

The Gibson from CL is likewise from a less-expensive line than standard Les Pauls, called the Tribute series, but I believe it's made in the USA. Looking around online, there seems to be a good general reaction to them.   They look the part of the classic Les Paul, and the main differences from the more expensive line appears to be a satin instead of glossy finish and not having binding, which is basically a cream edging all around the borders.  No big deal, IMO. Gibson Les Pauls are are really cool guitars, and what Slash, Jimmy Page, Duane Allman, and others played.  

Per the Gibson site, it's supposed to come with a gig bag, so make sure to see if he has that if you're going for it. 

While I haven't really done research or anything, $700 strikes me as a fair price if it's really in tip-top shape as he says. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I would like to discuss the effect of different woods on the tone of a solidbody guitar.  Anyone?

Goddammit, jimmy.

Strats are great guitars.  But I would not advise one as a first guitar.  Get a guitar with a fixed bridge, like a Gibson or a Fender Telecaster.  The tremolo bridge on a Strat can be frustrating, because it makes it more difficult to keep the guitar in tune.

11 hours ago, DougO said:

Guitar Center has a bunch of Les Paul Studios in their used section for under $700. Not sure what the shipping cost is.

Update:  The CL guy said he wasn't ready to sell and backed out, so I bought this:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/2016-1960S-Tribute-Les-Paul-Studio-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

Ground shipping was $20.  Thanks all!

9 minutes ago, tigol said:

Update:  The CL guy said he wasn't ready to sell and backed out, so I bought this:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/2016-1960S-Tribute-Les-Paul-Studio-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

Ground shipping was $20.  Thanks all!

Nice move!  And if there's an issue or he doesn't like it, you can return it to GC and just be out the shipping.  Looks like they replaced the p90 pickups, or maybe you can put covers on them? 

25 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Goddammit, jimmy.

Strats are great guitars.  But I would not advise one as a first guitar.  Get a guitar with a fixed bridge, like a Gibson or a Fender Telecaster.  The tremolo bridge on a Strat can be frustrating, because it makes it more difficult to keep the guitar in tune.

Yeah but it's easy enough to deck the bridge with springs and tightening the screws. Mine is rock solid.

^^ este.  My guitar teacher did that to my strat in 1998 (few turns of each screw), it stays in tune like a hardtail, and the trem bar has been attached for a combined total of 30 minutes in 20 years.

I like the burst on the LP that tigol got better than the CL one.  I can't quite tell if the humbuckers are minibuckers or full sized, but either should sound good and it's a nice looking Gibson LP.

I've decided that I like that Les Paul a lot.

re:jimmy wanting to talk about the effect of wood on solidbody guitar tone - without doing any scientific research, I think that it is slightly overblown but not irrelevant.  I guess I'd say I do think that a brazilian rosewood telecaster is a waste of brazilian rosewood.

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

re:jimmy wanting to talk about the effect of wood on solidbody guitar tone - without doing any scientific research, I think that it is slightly overblown but not irrelevant.  I guess I'd say I do think that a brazilian rosewood telecaster is a waste of brazilian rosewood.

See Brickhorn's response.  I was just giving him the business.

haha, ok yeah I didn't scroll up to remember that it was BrickHorn who had posted the les paulian science experiment with planks of wood.

Fiancee's brother is in town.  He's the dude I gave my old black strat to, when he was talking about buying a strat and I remembered that I had another strat that I hadn't even thought about in a year.  He has since bought a blues jr and a ts808.  He agrees that my strat sounds very good through the shaggyscreamer, el capistan, flint, and matchless.

jpg