The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

6 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Links?

I don't think I'm going to buy one, but I was knocking it around this morning when I did a search on the guitar center used section. Both Lake Placid Blue standards listed in "Great" condition. If it weren't for tax and shipping I probably would have bought one of them. I'm just not sure which (though I'm still pondering the USA Tele here locally.

I've had it in the back of my mind for ages that I'd like to get another Lake Placid blue MIM Tele like I used to have. I had bought it from a good friend of mine (until he really wanted to buy it back a while later) who died a few years back. It was probably late 90s or something. That combo sort of has a certain mojo with me as a result, so I keep any eye out for a great deal. I hardly ever seem to stumble on used Telecasters, thought I search pretty frequently.

Sometimes if leave things to fate. If one gets bought, maybe I get the other one.

I just kept wondering which would be the better buy. I kinda like the idea of having a bit of age on a guitar that's in great shape, but then sometimes modern refinements are beneficial. The only thing that really stood out as different is the glossy fretboard on the newer one, which is something I really don't care for, but could learn to live with. I know there were different eras when MIM stuff was better or worse, but maybe not so much since the 90s.

23 hours ago, DougO said:

I don't think I'm going to buy one, but I was knocking it around this morning when I did a search on the guitar center used section. Both Lake Placid Blue standards listed in "Great" condition. If it weren't for tax and shipping I probably would have bought one of them. I'm just not sure which (though I'm still pondering the USA Tele here locally.

I've had it in the back of my mind for ages that I'd like to get another Lake Placid blue MIM Tele like I used to have. I had bought it from a good friend of mine (until he really wanted to buy it back a while later) who died a few years back. It was probably late 90s or something. That combo sort of has a certain mojo with me as a result, so I keep any eye out for a great deal. I hardly ever seem to stumble on used Telecasters, thought I search pretty frequently.

Sometimes if leave things to fate. If one gets bought, maybe I get the other one.

I just kept wondering which would be the better buy. I kinda like the idea of having a bit of age on a guitar that's in great shape, but then sometimes modern refinements are beneficial. The only thing that really stood out as different is the glossy fretboard on the newer one, which is something I really don't care for, but could learn to live with. I know there were different eras when MIM stuff was better or worse, but maybe not so much since the 90s.

Both of them are already gone. I either need to bite the bullet and spring for the US model or up my ghetto guitar shopping game. I just don't feel like blowing that kind of wad just now. Maybe after the fourth I will re-assess.

I like that the Players series tele doesn't have a glossy finish on the fretboard, and I like the bent saddles. That blue color is kinda nice, too. I need to see one in person and pick on it a little. Unfortunately, the closest GC doesn't get much cool stuff to check out, even some of the obvious ones.

6 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Can anyone identify these?

The lap steel looks some kind of Gibson Skylark.

ac3493aceec80bf54624cf5751bd0e65.png

267f130f9a6f6f83e26c9c8e5d083bee.png

No, not mine, but at a local estate sale. They have an auto harp, an older mandolin, a classical, a small bodied acoustic, an LP knockoff, and a bass I don’t recognize.

If they're selling that Gibson less that $500 I'll buy it from you if you pick it up.

Can't see the name on the Dobro.

On 6/26/2018 at 4:29 PM, DougO said:

I should have mentioned this earlier.  Guitar Center is on ebates and I think they pay 3% cash back.  It covered the shipping ($20) for my purchase, if that helps.  I'll PM you a referral link if you're interested.  Thanks for all of your help!  

20 minutes ago, tigol said:

I should have mentioned this earlier.  Guitar Center is on ebates and I think they pay 3% cash back.  It covered the shipping ($20) for my purchase, if that helps.  I'll PM you a referral link if you're interested.  Thanks for all of your help!  

Plus you can get gift cards via Gift Card Granny.  Currently they have several in the 9%-10% discounted range.  They protect their sales, too.  I've never had a problem.  Had a couple of cards (not Guitar Center) not work and always got a full refund.

2 hours ago, tigol said:

Yeah, I'm in on eBates, though sometimes I forget to go through them first. That's a good tip. It's really painless and a good way to get a little free money for your purchases.

So after the Pixies/Weezer show the other night, I got to thinking about Rivers Cuomo's Warmoth Strat.  Pretty good write up on it here, and a little more Warmoth praise (it's a Warmoth based parts-caster):

https://mmguitarbar.wordpress.com/tag/rivers-cuomo-strat/

and a tour rig write up:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/rig-tour-weezer2YzUso3JexW4bTkPtLfucN.jpg

On 6/22/2018 at 4:24 PM, Superhero said:

Ooops. Had it in my Reverb shopping cart and accidentally pressed Buy. I gotta hide it from the wife since I just bought a new guitar earlier this year and she was none too happy about it. But I suppose it's NGD for me!

Heard a great question asked to Derek Trucks, "what is like to not have your wife bitch at you when you bring home another guitar?"  He just laughed

I may have to find one of those Squier Teles in lake placid blue just to get that color out of the way and out of my head. I've really been digging my bullet Tele a lot lately. But it also makes me want a really good one.

Or maybe I just play better on cheapass guitars?

6 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Set that bitch on fire for true authenticity.  Zero fucks given.

s-l300.jpg

Hell yes. Put on a show with lots of people, Jam out on the real Jimi, then pull the ol' switcharoo. Mouths would be agape. Especially when the fire department shows up.

NGD Friday is here. A lot sooner than I thought it would be, but what the hell. Better pics to come later, but here's a sneak preview.

First of all, never do any guitar dealin' on an empty stomach.

preguitarpopeyes.jpg

And patience is a virtue. Although I still wonder if I could have gotten a little more off the price if I had waited a couple more weeks. But I got tired of screwing around.

2011 American Standard Tele, swapped pickguard and they had installed the N3 noiseless pickups. Just a few minor dings and blemishes upon close inspection, but it sure feels great in my hands. $800 out the door including the tweed case.

natchtele.jpg

• Like 8

I really like the combination. I'm not sure about the pickups, but that's an easy fix, and I already have a great bridge pickup replacement on hand if I decide to make the move. The graphite string tree is kinda goofy looking, but I guess that's not a deal killer.