The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I'll email him.  I've built a few guitars for friends and have a "brand" (and a logo) but I've never used it.  Just left the headstocks blank.  If I could get a sheet of say 2 dozen sequentially serialized logos it would last the rest of my life.

Except that decals do deteriorate over time if they're just sitting around and not used.  

He'll send you the electronic copy of the decal.  You could just send it back to him and say, "Can you make this no. 11 now?" on an as needed basis. That way they'd always be fresh before you stuck them on.

Edited by Chad Fuck

17 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Agree on mots. I have a black tele with a white pick guard. I’ve been waffling on changing it to either MOTS or chrome.

I have nothing against pearly at all. I have a white MOTS on my banana fudge US Strat and it's awesome. But I'm trying to do something different, to make the girly color look less girly, more vintagey or more playery and unique. May I should get into painting pickguards and figure something out that works.

I almost bought that guitar but I got spooked by something I have not seen before and did not know what it was.  After thinking about it I think the combination of the flat neck, the staggered pole pieces, and high setting of the pickups had the G string getting affected by the magnets and creating a really strange reverb.

Now that I know what it is I''m probably going back to buy it tomorrow.

20180702_175554_zpskyulkkrn.jpg

20180702_175621_zpsvrffaaen.jpg

From what I understand a pole too close to a string can pull it out of tune. A "strange reverb" as you describe it sounds more like it could be a pickup becoming microphonic due to some kind of electronic damage. Or maybe it's buzzing somewhere with the hardware. Pickups being installed out of phase can cause extra weird noise. Either way, probably not a difficult fix if it's a great deal.

What is the signature on the pickups?

Also, some electronic devices can cause weird noises when they get close to a guitar pickup. If you had some kind of double-naught spy subsonic device in your shirt pocket while you were examining it there's a chance it could have cause some noise.

52 minutes ago, DougO said:

From what I understand a pole too close to a string can pull it out of tune. A "strange reverb" as you describe it sounds more like it could be a pickup becoming microphonic due to some kind of electronic damage. Or maybe it's buzzing somewhere with the hardware. Pickups being installed out of phase can cause extra weird noise. Either way, probably not a difficult fix if it's a great deal.

What is the signature on the pickups?

It was only the G string that was affected.  There could be damage I don't know yet but I wonder what happens if I lower the pickups.

Signature is Jimmy Hendrix (Seymour Duncan)

If I can get it to work I think it is a great deal at $150 plus tax.

I almost bought that guitar but I got spooked by something I have not seen before and did not know what it was.  After thinking about it I think the combination of the flat neck, the staggered pole pieces, and high setting of the pickups had the G string getting affected by the magnets and creating a really strange reverb.
Now that I know what it is I''m probably going back to buy it tomorrow.

20180702_175554_zpskyulkkrn.jpg
20180702_175621_zpsvrffaaen.jpg

Do report back. I’ve been mildly obsessed with those pups ever since I heard them.

39 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

It was only the G string that was affected.  There could be damage I don't know yet but I wonder what happens if I lower the pickups.

Signature is Jimmy Hendrix (Seymour Duncan)

If I can get it to work I think it is a great deal at $150 plus tax.

Take a phillips screwdriver back with you and tell them you want to adjust the pickup to check it. They'll probably say OK.

Edited by DougO

I just can't tell you how happy I am with this Explorer. I can't find much about the details of a '90 model, but the neck has the familiar soft feel as my '88 335, only faster - and unbound obviously. I don't know what pickups are in it, but they are agressive and loud; I always say my LP R8 sounds like the right hand of Thor, this guitar sounds like his left. Who knew Thor was a lefty? And the body / shape is so comfortable. It's sits across me so naturally. I love all my guitars, and I think I've cultivated a pretty decent time collection over the last decade, but I think I've found the new number 2.

I've been trying to write some original stuff to define this next chapter for me and this thing has definitely sparked the creativity nerve I've been in search of - i think this guitar has helped me find the sound ive been looking for. Stay tuned.

*** I also realized this is my 7th Gibson and am thinking that, as much as I fun I have with the sparklinesss of my Fenders and the twang of my Gretches, the sound of these Gibson's is just what drives me??f910e5d3a018b52029ed48995cd82b5e.jpg4069201a6c4b987d332fa0901653763d.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I just can't tell you how happy I am with this Explorer. I can't find much about the details of a '90 model, but the neck has the familiar soft feel as my '88 335, only faster - and unbound obviously. I don't know what pickups are in it, but they are agressive and loud; I always say my LP R8 sounds like the right hand of Thor, this guitar sounds like his left. Who knew Thor was a lefty? And the body / shape is so comfortable. It's sits across me so naturally. I love all my guitars, and I think I've cultivated a pretty decent time collection over the last decade, but I think I've found the new number 2.

I've been trying to write some original stuff to define this next chapter for me and this thing has definitely sparked the creativity nerve I've been in search of - i think this guitar has helped me find the sound ive been looking for. Stay tuned.

*** I also realized this is my 7th Gibson and am thinking that, as much as I fun I have with the sparklinesss of my Fenders and the twang of my Gretches, the sound of these Gibson's is just what drives me??f910e5d3a018b52029ed48995cd82b5e.jpg4069201a6c4b987d332fa0901653763d.jpg

I love the sound of Gibson. every time I buy a guitar I have to try not to buy a Gibson.  also PRS is like that for me too.

So I’ve had my PRS for about a year and I think this is where I’ve landed on it:

I REALLY like playing it. It’s the one I pick up the most often. It just plays so well and also stays in tune incredibly well. It seems to have no intonation issues.

However I’m not in love with the sound of it. I like the sound of my Seymour Duncan HH Strat better.

So I called the local place where I got it and asked them to call me when they get a Silver Sky in. I’m intrigued by the idea of a guitar that plays as well as my Custom 24 but has that SSS thing (I went in to buy a SSS guitar last year and walked out with the Custom 24).

New Guitar Day!

Custom Built Partscaster or Kit Guitar.  Trying to figure out the body and neck so if you have a guess let me know.

20180703_194116_zpsoxbiqp2s.jpg

Finish is in excellent condition with only two minor dings, one in the face and one on one of the horns in the black.  I guess you would call this a Tobacco Burst?  I found some tear out under the finish so it made me think this might be a home built body.  The Holy Grail of Surly?  (Only I didn't build it)

20180703_194121_zpskl9fzw6e.jpg

I like the headstock shape, kind of a fish-hook design.  At first I thought the black on the bottom side was a cigarette burn but now I think it is rubber from hanging on a guitar stand.  Came with Graph Tech Ratio Locking tuners and the nut is not cheap plastic.  I'm assuming its a Tusq.  Had to tighten all the tuners, they were loose.

20180703_204837_zpsqjycfama.jpg

I got it home and immediately took everything apart because this guitar had some play-ability issues and I wanted to verify what was under the pickup covers.  Seymour Duncan Jimi Hendrix fully loaded pickguard.  I actually might want to sell/trade this for something else.  Date of Manufacture was the on pickups was the only date I could find on the whole guitar.  January 24, 2017. 

20180703_220222_zps40sppjih.jpg

No date or company names on the body or neck.   The Neck was actually the first thing I noticed about this guitar.  It was straight as can be and I think the noise I was complaining about was "Fret slapping" according to a knowledgeable guy who looked at it.  I need a combination of truss rod and saddle height adjustments.

20180703_220301_zpsoknqcpkz.jpg

The trem springs.  I might block it off like a hard tail.  Thoughts?

20180703_194800_zpsyynxoukz.jpg

So far I'm happy but I need to do some setup work.  Going to try it on my own. Wish me luck.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Superhero said:

This arrived at the office Monday afternoon. My schedule has been packed since then, and I haven’t had time to really noodle around on it.

94c4c4a622841be7197fd8a398f56b85.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet, I was so close to getting a used one.  Share how you like those MFD pickups some time. 

As I was lighting our fireworks tonight, the following question occurred to me:

If you had to grab an explosive firework to save someone, and getting somewhat mangled was a certainty, and playing guitar was your only consideration, which hand would you use to grab the firework? 

I think I'd use my right (strumming) hand, because reconstructive surgery could probably restore my ability to hold a pick.    A close second was using my left hand under the theory that I could find some way to hold a slide or, at best, work on my Django Reinhart impression. 

5 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

I need a tele... I’m down with the butterscotch or a candy apple red one I think. That may have to be my 2019 guitar since I fixed my 32 Martin up and bought the Hendrix strat. Wife would not be happy 

If I had it to do over again on the Tele urge I may have just bitten on the butterscotch Special Ash that's always on sale for $549 and throw some compensated saddles on it.

But for a cheap thrill my Squier Bullet is a really fun guitar to mess around, great bang for the buck. The American Standard is sweet but I'm gonna have to undo some of the bullshit the previous guy did to it, swap the noiseless pickups and put the right saddles on it. He has some strat saddles that are slightly too big on there for some reason, so the spread out a little and don't sit quite right. The right ones were really difficult to find, too.

I think I'll try a Twang King in the neck position and put the Van Zandt I have in the bridge. The pickups on it sound OK, but very mid-range, not dynamic as a tele should be.

Edited by DougO

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm no fan of binding on a Tele, but that ^^^ one in cream with tortoiseshell looks fantastic.

You know at first blush I was a little 'off' with the binding on my Deluxe. It's grown on me and after viewing a few luthier vids on the process I'm completely ok with it.

I once spent a long time staring at a telecaster in a magazine that looked like this

xtn4bpykhkzty3fkoe4o.jpg

I like that.  The only thing I don't like about the binding on a telecaster (other than that it means it is not a butterscotch/black tele) is that it does accentuate the flattened radius of the body near the output jack.

3 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I once spent a long time staring at a telecaster in a magazine that looked like this

xtn4bpykhkzty3fkoe4o.jpg

I like that.  The only thing I don't like about the binding on a telecaster (other than that it means it is not a butterscotch/black tele) is that it does accentuate the flattened radius of the body near the output jack.

That's a good point.  I think I picked up on that without realizing it.

49 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

xtn4bpykhkzty3fkoe4o.jpg

No surprise, I've always liked bound Teles.  Even with the flattened radius, I've always thought it accentuated the shape of what is a highlight of mid-century design.  Same reason I think the binding on a Les Paul looks so good.  

xtn4bpykhkzty3fkoe4o.jpg

Man I had never noticed this before you pointed it out. Thanks a lot!

Anytime I see a bound Telecaster I think of Waylon's suped-up Telecaster. Its not that I don't appreciate a bound Tele, it just seem so unnecessary. The beauty of a Telecaster is its simplicity and the plainer they look the better IMO. That's why butterscotch / natural works so well on them.

Unless you're named Waylon Jennings of course.

6347211.jpg

Some of the solid colors look fantastic with binding. Fender only seems to like to offer them on their Custom Shop stuff, though. If they made a range of affordable 60's Teles with solid colors and binding, i would probably buy more than one. Fender Japan puts 'em out, I don't know why we can't get them here.

19 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I think you need an American Professional in Mystic Seafoam. Add a black or tortoise pick guard.

32271673030_e8e6432ea6_b.jpg

Yeah, I rally like that color. Maybe in the Players series MIM someday. I think I'm done buying USA Teles for a few years, unless something really unexpected comes along.

I got my tortoise guard from Dragonfire today. Looks good except it's more red than I had hoped. Doesn't look bad on the MIM. But the position of the pickups is a little different. I wonder if they'll work with the routes on the guitar.

blackmextort.jpg

I put it over the midnight wine USA Strat to see how it would look. Too much damn red. The lights make the red of the guitar way more bright red than they look to the naked eye.

I'd like to find a pg that's more brownish, but I ain't spending $60 for a Fender. That's half of what I paid for the whole MIM Strat.

93strattort.jpg

Edited by DougO

That USA hasn't seen light in over a year, and rarely over the past several years. It's actually a 93 , which is older than I thought. Damn, 25 years old! It has the two-point trem, so maybe I should set it up for a whammy and play some surfy type stuff on it...which is something I've kinda had a hankerin' for recently.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Yeah, I rally like that color. Maybe in the Players series MIM someday. I think I'm done buying USA Teles for a few years, unless something really unexpected comes along.

There is nothing wrong with any of the Teles above the MIM Standard series. Can't speak to the replacements for the Standards they just released, but that butterscotch has a nicer color to it than most I've seen.

Edited by Deej

1 minute ago, Deej said:

There is nothing wrong with any 9f the Teles above the MIM Standard series. Can't speak to the replacements for thecStandards they just released, but that butterscotch has a nicer color to it than most I've seen.

I'm just saying I don't have the budget to buy a lot of American guitars. If I get another one any time soon it will probably be something different. The latest Tele is my fifth USA made guitar. So it's sort of scratched off of my bucket list.

4 hours ago, DougO said:

I got my tortoise guard from Dragonfire today. Looks good except it's more red than I had hoped. Doesn't look bad on the MIM. But the position of the pickups is a little different. I wonder if they'll work with the routes on the guitar.

blackmextort.jpg

I put it over the midnight wine USA Strat to see how it would look. Too much damn red. The lights make the red of the guitar way more bright red than they look to the naked eye.

I'd like to find a pg that's more brownish, but I ain't spending $60 for a Fender. That's half of what I paid for the whole MIM Strat.

IMO, it looks better on black.  White would be cool too.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I like the way PRS does the faux binding on their SE imports. They just tape off the eges of the maple top and leave it unstained, so it looks like binding. And it really looks nice.

9_CB7_B882_5169_4_F8_C_AEA6_FA59_EF3209_

of course, for some real pretty *ahem* purfling 

F2372516_AC8_C_440_F_A68_B_A15108_AE87_E

5_A153_A15_C6_EB_4_CEA_8285_730_A57_FF45

almost forgot

2_C1_F4589_F306_4_C38_8742_8588_B602_FE2

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 3