The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On 6/16/2018 at 10:58 AM, Celery Man said:

i need to clean off my duosonic.  It's in rough shape.

Rust on hardware - what do y'all use?  Diluted dish soap and a clean rag?

I have a '63 Duosonic.  It's up at my dad's place.  I'll snap a photo next time I'm up there.

7 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

My boy Rocky came by today with a Epiphone SG body and a couple bags of parts he bought from some guy for $10. "Hey Shawn Rocker, can you help me put this together?"

A couple hours later we had a guitar that plays and sounds pretty fucking good for $10. Rock fronts what is probably my favorite band in SF, Turqoiz Noiz. Can't wait to hear this thing at a show.

bf4339005b5505efb2c3fa3d54366798.jpg

9a297d1640b743742890e5493527a0a0.jpg

6b7a25eab2122bd7897901867f1b2c57.jpg

Didn't cut and whittle own wood. Doesn't count.

On 6/14/2018 at 1:35 PM, Superhero said:

Ooops. Had it in my Reverb shopping cart and accidentally pressed Buy. I gotta hide it from the wife since I just bought a new guitar earlier this year and she was none too happy about it. But I suppose it's NGD for me!

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Deej said:

"Oops", my ass. Lulz.

I is serious. It was listed at $495 with 10% discount at checkout.

When I looked again, I thought it said $445 with 10% discount. What I didn't realize was the $445 price was because it was already in my shopping cart.

I'm in trouble. Gonna have my friend hold onto it for a few months until my birthday rolls around, then it's Happy Birthday to ME!

My rational can be - I've never seen it for so cheap! Also, they're gonna start charging sales tax on inter-state sales. Had to take the deal while it lasted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

Ooops. Had it in my Reverb shopping cart and accidentally pressed Buy. I gotta hide it from the wife since I just bought a new guitar earlier this year and she was none too happy about it. But I suppose it's NGD for me!

I'll store it for you.  I'll send you the updated shipping address.

True csb: went into a music store a while back to just buy a music stand. Came out with a new Taylor. Called mrs tbone to confess:

Her: How much was it?

Me: do I have to answer?

Her: yes

Me: $$$$$

Her: oh, that could have been way worse.

• Like 1

So the guitar I wanted to buy got sold out from under me before I could meet the guy.  Now I found a Classic 60s Strat but worried about the 7.25" radius neck.  Being so new to this I guess I'm going to over analyze but I'm thinking I want 9.5 or maybe a 12".  Thoughts?

So the guitar I wanted to buy got sold out from under me before I could meet the guy.  Now I found a Classic 60s Strat but worried about the 7.25" radius neck.  Being so new to this I guess I'm going to over analyze but I'm thinking I want 9.5 or maybe a 12".  Thoughts?

My thought is that neck radius is the most over-analyzed aspect of a guitar. Lots of wasted brain power on something ultimately so insignificant.
  • Like 2

So, since this is the best thread on the intertron and I need your help, here I am.  I reached out to you all on scat site and there were some great suggestions, but fuck that place.

Forgive me, I am asking for your help again.

Celery helped me with a Seagull acoustic guitar that my husband loves and I later bought him a banjo for fun and he really likes that as well.  He's not interested in technique or accomplishing anything, he just likes picking at it and surprising himself.  Actually, he loves it.  The only thing I can equate it to is my love for smoking meat and brewing.  I'm not great at either one, but I like to try.

Anyway, his birthday is in July.  I want to get him an electric and a small amp.  He's a Slash fan, so something resembling his Gibson would be the tits.  If you could hook me up with some links to something surly, I'd appreciate it.   I'd like to keep the whole setup around 1K.  I could expand the budget if tempted.

I think the PRS SE guitars are supposed to be good values and in that vein. I’ll ruminate on that a bit, you could probably look for a good dal on reverb for an actual Gibson Studio Les Paul and... we’re talking jamming in your house? I want to tell you to get a small tube amp and a tube screamer but a Boss Katana may be a good choice too. I’ll poke around a bit, others will hopefully chime in with more thoughts.

58 minutes ago, tigol said:

So, since this is the best thread on the intertron and I need your help, here I am.  I reached out to you all on scat site and there were some great suggestions, but fuck that place.

Celery helped me with a Seagull acoustic guitar that my husband loves and I later bought him a banjo for fun and he really likes that as well.  He's not interested in technique or accomplishing anything, he just likes picking at it and surprising himself.  Actually, he loves it.  The only thing I can equate it to is my love for smoking meat and brewing.  I'm not great at either one, but I like to try.

Anyway, his birthday is in July.  I want to get him an electric and a small amp.  He's a Slash fan, so something resembling his Gibson would be the tits.  If you could hook me up with some links to something surly, I'd appreciate it.   I'd like to keep the whole setup around 1K.  I could expand the budget if tempted.

If pre-owned is okay, here's an Edwards LP for about $600 shipped.

For something new, you could get a PRS SE Custom 245 for $700.

Also don't forget to save some money for some pedals. He'll need an overdrive (and possibly delay) pedal.

Edited by Superhero

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I think the PRS SE guitars are supposed to be good values and in that vein. I’ll ruminate on that a bit, you could probably look for a good dal on reverb for an actual Gibson Studio Les Paul and... we’re talking jamming in your house? I want to tell you to get a small tube amp and a tube screamer but a Boss Katana may be a good choice too. I’ll poke around a bit, others will hopefully chime in with more thoughts.

Thanks!  Yep, total couch situation but that could change.  It is an indulgence.  He's purchased a WSM, BGE, and built me multiple tables and other things to encourage my hobbies. Thankfully, I suppose, he really appreciates the direction you all point me to in the guitar world.  Plus, he likes steak and the BGE delivers on that front.  

12 minutes ago, Superhero said:

If pre-owned is okay, here's an Edwards LP for about $600 shipped.

For something new, you could get a PRS SE Custom 245 for $700.

Also don't forget to save some money for some pedals. He'll need an overdrive (and possibly delay) pedal.

Thank you!  Those look great.  He wouldn't know what to do with a pedal.  I won't mention it....yet.

I, of course, will second a Boss Katana for an amp. Sounds great, versatile, plus a plethora of effects and models that are built in or can be added. He can explore his sound before investing in something else down the line. Plus, it scales down so he doesn't have to chase you out of the house. Also. Dirt cheap for a lot of amp.

• Like 1

I think so. If he wants to channel his inner slash, I’d look at something like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENLPVSNH--epiphone-les-paul-standard-plustop-pro-vintage-sunburst

And this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Kata100--boss-katana-100-100-50-0.5-watt-1x12-inch-cosm-combo-amp

Also, spend the $50 or $75 to get a set up (which where a tech adjusts the strings and neck to make it play and sound better). Does wonders for guitars straight from the factory. Sweetwater might actually do this for you, just call a sales rep, they’re super helpful.

28 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I think so. If he wants to channel his inner slash, I’d look at something like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENLPVSNH--epiphone-les-paul-standard-plustop-pro-vintage-sunburst

And this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Kata100--boss-katana-100-100-50-0.5-watt-1x12-inch-cosm-combo-amp

Also, spend the $50 or $75 to get a set up (which where a tech adjusts the strings and neck to make it play and sound better). Does wonders for guitars straight from the factory. Sweetwater might actually do this for you, just call a sales rep, they’re super helpful.

Thanks everyone!

13 hours ago, tigol said:

Get him a 5 Watt tube amp.  Two things to know about amps: (1) tube-based amplification is better than solid state and (2) you don’t need nearly as much wattage as you think you do.  And the amp makes a huge difference in tone.

If you want to keep it inexpensive but new, you can get the Monoprice 5 Watt amp for around $100.  It’s cheaply built and might crap out on you, but apparently sounds pretty nice.  Bugera makes a 5 W amp that sounds pretty great and I think runs $200 new.  I got a used one for $99 and after a year or so, ended up swapping it for a wah pedal.  But I really liked it while I had it. There are other options, too.  The VHT 5 Watt amp gets rave reviews, but it might cost a little more.

The next amp I buy will be a Marshall Class 5.  You can’t get them new anymore, but can find them used on line for $300+.  With a few simple, cheap mods, it’s supposed to have crazy good tone.  Marshall amps created some of the most famous tone in rock history (including Slash on Appetite and Clapton on the John Mayall Beano album).

Edited by BrickHorn

Counterpoint to epi though...

ejbz6janc3fyr2oj1tqv.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/13239605-gibson-les-paul-studio-t-2016-dark-red-satin

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars/solid-body?condition[]=used&condition[]=b-stock&make=gibson&query=Gibson Les Paul Studio&sort=price|asc&page=2

plus

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Kata50--boss-katana-50-50-25-0.5-watt-1x12-inch-cosm-combo-amp

I think guitar, you should choose between used LP Studio of some sort, or a nice Epiphone LP or maybe a PRS SE.  I lean used Gibson LP Studio.  In Wine Red, Black, or there's even a gold top in there under $750.

Amp, tradeoff is the Katana is not a tube amp, but it does well with low volumes and has a ton of built in effects and such to play with.  Something like what BrickHorn is talking about above is another good choice.  Bummer that Fender and Epiphone don't still make their little 5 watt tube amps (Champion 600 and whatever the Epi was called).  It'll be tube and will at its best sound better than the Katana, but if we're talking about Slash and a budget of $1k, I lean towards coming in right at that with use helping you pick out a really good looking used ACTUAL GIBSON LES PAUL and then give him a bunch of options with a Katana (and he an upgrade to a Matchless later).

The Vox AC4 also gets good reviews.  If you’re in Austin, there’s one on Craigslist for $140.  That amp is nice, because it has lower wattage modes (1/4 Watt, 1 Watt, and 4 Watts).  

If you don’t buy it, I might.

Edited by BrickHorn

11 minutes ago, tigol said:

Yes, they do.  Ok, now I'm leaning used Les Paul and monoprice amp.

If you’re thinking 15 Watt Monoprice, I’d go with a higher quality 5 Watt instead.  5 Watts of tube power is really, really loud for home use.  But the choice also depends on what sound you want.

The 15 Watt will probably have a decent amount off “headroom,” which is basically how loud your amp gets before tube distortion (ie “break up”) kicks in.  The 5 watters will break up lower, and some may have 0 headroom.  But if he likes distortion, nothing sounds better than a 5 Watt amp’s tube distortion.  Think Neil Young.

3 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

If you’re thinking 15 Watt Monoprice, I’d go with a higher quality 5 Watt instead.  5 Watts of tube power is really, really loud for home use.  But the choice also depends on what sound you want.

The 15 Watt will probably have a decent amount off “headroom,” which is basically how loud your amp gets before tube distortion (ie “break up”) kicks in.  The 5 watters will break up lower, and some may have 0 headroom.  But if he likes distortion, nothing sounds better than a 5 Watt amp’s tube distortion.  Think Neil Young.

I just bought the 5 watt on Amazon.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I have a bunch of 5 and 6 watters. Way too loud in the house fully cranked.