The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

32 minutes ago, Deej said:

Turned 50, today. My goal this year is to find an amp or guitar that was made during my birth year. Amp would probably be cheaper. Guarantee it will be in better shape than me.

I expect a PM from Foggy in the next hour telling me he found something on Craigslist.

Happy birthday, Deej!

I'll be on the lookout for more 69s.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is 1969 the year Fender went silverface but still used blackface parts until inventory was cleared?  Or was that 1968?

Generally speaking, 1968 is considered the first year of silverface. The 68s have the drip edge rail around the grill. The drip edge was gone from most models in early 69.

However, the earliest silverfaces were actually made in late 1967. Although they might not have shown up in music stores until 1968.

• Like 1

So I have a nascent spin-off starting up from my usual classic rock/country bass gig.  I'd be on guitar and paying more pop friendly, songs to rock on your barstool  while you're drinking tunes.  One of the guys (bass) is a serious metalhead and wants to throw in some 80s hair metal to scratch that itch.  We're willing to accommodate, but I'm really not interested in buying a lot of new gear to get that sound (Pointy guitfiddle with overwound pups + Marshall stack).  My current guitar rig is essentially Tele/Strat/LP into EC Champ/Princeton Reverb via Line 6 Delay with a touch of Shaggy Screamer.  

Is there a pedal that fits with this set up that will get me "close enough" to play say, Crue's "Looks that Kill", without going all out and having a completely different set up?  

I guess I'm asking if there is an amp setting and/or pedal that will do for the couple of songs per set that we'll play this stuff?

giphy.gif

Edited by Chad Fuck

8 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Happy found money day......

No kidding.  I really need to do inventory and sell/trade some stuff.  It's amazing how much one can accumulate from "Hey my buddy wants to sell X and needs some cash fast."  

Of course, forgetting about it is as good as not having it.  That's why I usually try to keep all my stuff out in the daylight.  Gear that isn't out doesn't get played.

On 4/9/2019 at 6:50 PM, Foggy Notion said:

Generally speaking, 1968 is considered the first year of silverface. The 68s have the drip edge rail around the grill. The drip edge was gone from most models in early 69.

However, the earliest silverfaces were actually made in late 1967. Although they might not have shown up in music stores until 1968.

Foggy, do you still have that Highway One Texas Telecaster you got off reverb awhile back for $575?    They've been going for $750 - 800 lately. 

40 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Foggy, do you still have that Highway One Texas Telecaster you got off reverb awhile back for $575?    They've been going for $750 - 800 lately. 

I don't. I traded it a while back for that 64 Deluxe Reverb project that I've been slowly restoring. I wasn't planning on selling it. I was selling a different guitar to a guy, and we started talking. He mentioned that he had the 64 DR. I asked him what he wanted for it, and he said he would trade it for a good American Tele. 

That was a great guitar, and you don't see many of them around. $750-800 is still a killer deal for an American Tele with a nitro finish and great pickups.

• Like 3

I was watching some of that Ringo Starr show on AXSTV this weekend and Matt Bissonette was playing an Epiphone Viola bass identical to the one I just bought.  I wonder if he was made in Korea. It's an old show, so probably similar year model, too.

Shit I bought an HD500 a couple years ago and then some shit happened and I stuck it in a closet and totally forgot about it. 
Fuckin' A.  Waiving my idoit flag here.  
OK, false alarm guys.  Got it covered.

There are a bunch of pedals that would make your LP into a Princeton sound way better than a line 6 thingy. Wanpler Plexi Drive, or Pinnacle. Bogner La Grange. Or others.

New p-90s installed!   I love 'em.   Much more depth than the stock pickups and they break up beautifully, IMO.  And totally noiseless.   I had a technical question when installing and called them up.  Lindy Fralin answered and we talked for a bit.  Needless to say, he had the answers I needed.  Super nice guy, too.

Recorded this on my phone (so not the best quality) with my DRRI volume at a little over 4, straight into the amp.  First run through is on the neck pickup, then second time on the bridge.  The song suits the neck more, but I did it both ways to show the difference.

EDIT:  And here they are clean, with the amp volume around 2.  First bridge, then neck, then middle position.

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 7

I just remembered AUTF's post about buffers and stuck one at the end of my long ass cable.  Sounds even better now. 

This was actually my first time installing pickups and it was surprisingly easy.  It gave me an idea for my new 3D printer. It can't be hard to make my own pickup 

• Like 1

Holy crap! Guy buys a Tele for $20 at a flea market that is a bit of a mess and it turns out he may just have the real deal on his hands.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://www.tdpri.com/threads/flea-market-find-early-50s-tele.942259/&share_tid=942259&share_fid=78013&share_type=t

Flea market find- early 50s tele?

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Deej said:

Holy crap! Guy buys a Tele for $20 at a flea market that is a bit of a mess and it turns out he may just have the real deal on his hands.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://www.tdpri.com/threads/flea-market-find-early-50s-tele.942259/&share_tid=942259&share_fid=78013&share_type=t

Flea market find- early 50s tele?

Wow, that is incredible.  I've never been to a flea market, but maybe I should start! 

21 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I've been going to flea markets my whole life and never ran across anything better than a $50 Chinese Kramer knock-off.  He definitely found a needle in that haystack, but it looks like it would take a lot of work to bring it back to life.

I'd follow the advice on that thread, which is take it to a legitimate appraiser and get a handle on what it really is, what it's worth now, and what it could be worth if properly restored. 

I'll be honest, I'm nowhere near a good enough player to see much added value in that guitar as a tool for expressing my meager talent.  I'd be looking to sell it for the most profit possible.  Say the appraiser puts a value on it of $10K as is, but $20K after a great restoration, which would allegedly cost $4K.  (I'm making that last number up.)  I'd find a top refurb guy and cut him a deal -- he gets 40% of whatever I sell it for above $10K once he's done (which at $20K would be a $4K fee to him).  If it goes higher, he makes even more, and vice versa.  Somebody would jump and I'd never be cash poor on the deal.

• Like 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I'd follow the advice on that thread, which is take it to a legitimate appraiser and get a handle on what it really is, what it's worth now, and what it could be worth if properly restored. 

I'll be honest, I'm nowhere near a good enough player to see much added value in that guitar as a tool for expressing my meager talent.  I'd be looking to sell it for the most profit possible.  Say the appraiser puts a value on it of $10K as is, but $20K after a great restoration, which would allegedly cost $4K.  (I'm making that last number up.)  I'd find a top refurb guy and cut him a deal -- he gets 40% of whatever I sell it for above $10K once he's done (which at $20K would be a $4K fee to him).  If it goes higher, he makes even more, and vice versa.  Somebody would jump and I'd never be cash poor on the deal.

After having read the thread, and seeing Dan Erlewine has offered to work on it and do a story in Vintage Guitar on it...damn!  I'd already be in his shop.  

• Like 1

I bailed on the thread at page 4, so I didn't see that.  I had seen people recommend Dan, and I think he's great -- he recommended replacement pickups to me on my early 90's Strat Plus and did the work -- but I just don't have a feel for his reputation in that international world of badass luthiers.  (I know Billy Gibbons and others vouch for him, so that's definitely something.)

45 minutes ago, Deej said:

I think I would leave that body finished like it is, take down whatever is glopped on that neck, and fix what needs fixing.

It's hard to tel from the pics, but if the guy from back in the day cared to put that finish on the same way he cared to "fix" the pick guard and the ashtray bridge cover, I think you're better off removing it and trying to salvage what's underneath.