The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Thanks all.  I appreciate the input from everyone along the way and boy was the final purchase a lot different than the initial guitar I posted here.

I spent about 1 1/2 hours with it yesterday.  Work got in the way a couple of times.  It appears that my thumb position on the back of the fret board was way off which meant I was using more of the pad of the finger instead of the tip.  I'll correct that today which hopefully will help with that troublesome A chord.  I'm a stickler for doing things right so I may as well correct it now so technically I'm holding the guitar correctly. 

I spent a lot of time on E yesterday working to get the muscle memory going for it.  I strummed, I picked my way down the chord and I spent some time just picking out different lines within the chord.  No real melody just learning those notes and how they interact.  Today I'll refresh E then move on to A again.  I'm using Justin Guitar for the time being.  I like the way he explains things.  I'm a musical person and I'm already coming up with lines and ditties in my mind that I want to play.  When I played piano I was a sheet music reader and didn't show much imagination.  That's something I want to change with the guitar.

I struggle with singing and playing, especially lead notes. Am I wrong to believe piano is a strong to very strong multi tasking discipline?

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

One finger on electric, three on acoustic

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

As in fretting the D and G strings up to E and A, while letting the B string ring?  Or are you using two fingers to somehow fret the B string up to C#?

If the former, then yeah, that's an A2 chord.  See: Paul Westerberg

No, I'm basically fretting the B and G with my fatass middle finger and the d with index. I roll my wrist up to get the open string for Esus.

If I try to use all three fingertips it's a squeeze to fit them inside the fret area and make it difficult to play off of it, and it frets out a lot, usually sounds like shit.

I do the one finger version sometimes, but the little e is pretty much gonna be muted.

1 minute ago, DougO said:

No, I'm basically fretting the B and G with my fatass middle finger and the d with index.

Interesting.  I've never done that.  I'll try it tonight.  Seems a waste for me, since I don't have a problem fretting all 3 strings with 3 fingers, but who knows?

I play A2 all the time (Westerberg), sometimes with my index and middle fingers, and sometimes with my 4th and 5th fingers if I'm going to barre it up next chord.  Either way, it's my "A of choice".  

I’m just still trying to get D to work every time.  A is a little bitch right now.  I’ll get them.  Once I learn to really relax my left hand I think things will begin to get a little easier.  Finger soreness isn’t that bad.  I guess that’s the benefit of neuropathy although it isn’t bad in my hands.  Thank god guitar isn’t played with the feet.  I have no feeling in my toes.   Lol

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

I’m just still trying to get D to work every time.  A is a little bitch right now.  I’ll get them.  Once I learn to really relax my left hand I think things will begin to get a little easier.  Finger soreness isn’t that bad.  I guess that’s the benefit of neuropathy although it isn’t bad in my hands.  Thank god guitar isn’t played with the feet.  I have no feeling in my toes.   Lol

Keep at it. The great thing about guitar, is when you feel like it's completely frustrating, you take a break, come back the next day, and suddenly, your hands and brain have figured it out.

• Like 2

Now if I could just make that high E ring every time.  I think I’m going to try A with 2,3 and 4.  1,2 and 3 is tough for me.  2,3 and 4 looks a lot more natural. 

ETA:  Thanks for putting up with my beginner stuff.  It’s appreciated and it helps to have a sounding board. 

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 2

Interesting.  I've never done that.  I'll try it tonight.  Seems a waste for me, since I don't have a problem fretting all 3 strings with 3 fingers, but who knows?
I play A2 all the time (Westerberg), sometimes with my index and middle fingers, and sometimes with my 4th and 5th fingers if I'm going to barre it up next chord.  Either way, it's my "A of choice".  

I’m funny that way about G. I always fret the B string on the third fret when playing G. The three-finger G chord sounds off to me.
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Now if I could just make that high E ring every time.  I think I’m going to try A with 2,3 and 4.  1,2 and 3 is tough for me.  2,3 and 4 looks a lot more natural. 

Only problem there is you no longer have your pinky available for random G and F# color on top of the A chord.  More often than not, the "correct" way of fingering chords on guitar and piano comes from a basis in theory and practicality.  I'm not saying there's only one way to do things -- witness my self-congratulatory screed justifying my shitty vibrato just because Mark Knopfler sometimes does it the same way -- but as in most endeavors, it's worth learning the rules so you know what you're doing when you break them.

That said, the end game is playing music, so fuck it.  Do what you want!

• Like 1

Just now, Buzzrock said:

I’m funny that way about G. I always fret the B string on the third fret when playing G. The three-finger G chord sounds off to me.

I'm totally with you there.  It's a rare occasion indeed when I let the B string ring.  Sounds weak and folky to me.  I like the purity of the D in that chord.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Edited by tigol

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Only problem there is you no longer have your pinky available for random G and F# color on top of the A chord.  More often than not, the "correct" way of fingering chords on guitar and piano comes from a basis in theory and practicality.  I'm not saying there's only one way to do things -- witness my self-congratulatory screed justifying my shitty vibrato just because Mark Knopfler sometimes does it the same way -- but as in most endeavors, it's worth learning the rules so you know what you're doing when you break them.

That said, the end game is playing music, so fuck it.  Do what you want!

Playing it with 234 also makes the switch to D harder. Then again it makes E easier so what do I know. When in doubt listen to JJ. 

Over time you'll also start to recognize prevailing change patterns in certain types of music - some chords tend to follow one another with lots of regularity - so you can get better at anticipating the best finger forms for switching between them. 

But listen to JJ and these guys. 

Spending some time on it this morning.  My fingers are starting to get the memory for D.  I can't quite do it without looking yet but it's getting there.  I'm gotten a few good A's here and there.  I'm using the Justin Guitar method of A with 3 crossing over 2 and 4 on the bottom.  It's starting to feel better and sometimes all 5 notes ring.  Baby steps.

What model Gibson is Chris Stapleton playing in that NPR video?  It's beat up as hell but damn if that isn't one sweet sounding guitar.

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Also, and this is something I emphasize with my daughter: practice slow to play fast.

So much this.  

I have a new band starting up now and they want to play "Footloose."  That G bend in the beginning sounds so simple, but trying to get the rhythm down has been really tough for me.  Even at half speed it's challenging to get it right.

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So much this.  

I have a new band starting up now and they want to play "Footloose."  That G bend in the beginning sounds so simple, but trying to get the rhythm down has been really tough for me.  Even at half speed it's challenging to get it right.

Did you see the Daryl's House video with Kenny Loggins I posted?  They zoom in tight on him playing that riff.

12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Also, and this is something I emphasize with my daughter: practice slow to play fast.

That's not an issue at all.  Right now everything is slow.

I've already developed an abrasion on the thumb of my right hand.  It looks like I'll be using a pick until it heals.  Something else to practice!!  I'm also going to start working on a little four finger scale work to start building some dexterity and muscle memory that way.  That's going to be one of my bigger challenges as my finger dexterity is not good right now.

• Like 1

Just now, VABuckeye said:

That's not an issue at all.  Right now everything is slow.

I've already developed an abrasion on the thumb of my right hand.  It looks like I'll be using a pick until it heals.  Something else to practice!!  I'm also going to start working on a little four finger scale work to start building some dexterity and muscle memory that way.  That's going to be one of my bigger challenges as my finger dexterity is not good right now.

If you're lucky you'll develop calluses.  Mine will fade over time if I don't play, but come roaring back after even an hour of playing.  They actually peel off with no pain or tearing of the skin underneath.  I don't know if that's common or not, but I consider it a "feature".

20 hours ago, Deej said:

Keep at it. The great thing about guitar, is when you feel like it's completely frustrating, you take a break, come back the next day, and suddenly, your hands and brain have figured it out.

It can be a little like golf used to be for me. I would play a lot and feel like i was just getting worse and then quit for a while. Then I would pick it up again weeks or months later and I was better...before I started sucking at it again.

• Like 1

I've been absent from this thread for a bit.  Apologies, I'm proud of you guys for talking a newb into a Taylor.  Good choice.

Do you married guys leave your ring on when you play?  I was really annoyed when I found out it goes on the right hand.  I have thing fingers, and the knuckles are the widest points.  I now have lube dispenser next to my guitars, ostensibly so I can get my ring off.

Edited by Celery Man