The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

To wit: I still get out my Les Paul auction catalog and flip through the pages wistfully.

It took me until noon the first day of his auction to figure out that that one straight off the wall of GC “modernish” looking LP that would go for $2500 or so on the street, but that actually went for $5000 at 9:30am (on a workday no less) before the auction really got going, was my sole shot at owning a Les Paul that had been owned, however fleetingly, by Les Paul. They were all five figures and up after that.

I literally couldn’t afford to buy a box of his nuts.

Yes I said it. Yes they sold them. No, I seriously couldn’t afford them. Like $500 to buy a box of bolts that literally looked like it had gone straight from a shelf at Ace to LPs work bench.

16 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Yeah.  I'm pretty stretched out on the third step right now.  Strumming isn't a big deal so far but the patterns are basic.  Piano hands help with that.

One thing I told a buddy years ago who decided to pick up the guitar late in life.....   When you are changing chords, and you don't have the chord 'fingered' correctly, just keep strumming just the same.   He would always stop until he formed the chord, then start strumming again.  Hell, the majority of the time, it will sound perfect anyway, but one you pause the strumming hand, it just slows you down..    If that makes any sense.   

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Yeah I expect everything to be five figures and up. I mean it’s David Fucking Gilmour.

I think I may sign up and give it a go.  It was fun bidding against guys like Slash last time around.  There are a couple of sleepers in that bunch.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I think I may sign up and give it a go.  It was fun bidding against guys like Slash last time around.  There are a couple of sleepers in that bunch.

Outstanding!  We need a Gilmour guitar in our group.  

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

One thing I told a buddy years ago who decided to pick up the guitar late in life.....   When you are changing chords, and you don't have the chord 'fingered' correctly, just keep strumming just the same.   He would always stop until he formed the chord, then start strumming again.  Hell, the majority of the time, it will sound perfect anyway, but one you pause the strumming hand, it just slows you down..    If that makes any sense.   

Thanks for that advice.  It's funny how quickly I can change from A to D just to do it and ring the chord and how much it slows down when I'm strumming.

18 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

100%.   One of the main things I've learned over the years is to be musical above all else.   That means playing within the rhythm.  If your fingers can't keep up, play the whole song slower, but always approach it as a song rather than a dry technical exercise in making chords or fretting specific notes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

100%.   One of the main things I've learned over the years is to be musical above all else.   That means playing within the rhythm.  If your fingers can't keep up, play the whole song slower, but always approach it as a song rather than a dry technical exercise in making chords or fretting specific notes. 

To echo this sentiment, I think it was Keef who said, "Try to start together, try to finish together, but definitely keep going together in the middle even if you aren't playing the same thing." Or words to those effect.  

If you keep chugging the rhythm while you try to find where you are in the song, you're still playing music.  Maybe badly, but you're still playing.  When you stop to find your chord, well, you've stopped.  Then you're no longer playing music.  

21 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

To echo this sentiment, I think it was Keef who said, "Try to start together, try to finish together, but definitely keep going together in the middle even if you aren't playing the same thing." Or words to those effect.  

If you keep chugging the rhythm while you try to find where you are in the song, you're still playing music.  Maybe badly, but you're still playing.  When you stop to find your chord, well, you've stopped.  Then you're no longer playing music.  

The time Chuck Berry and Keith Richards clashed onstage: 'You're going to have to let me lead'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

The time Chuck Berry and Keith Richards clashed onstage: 'You're going to have to let me lead'

My favorite part in that movie is when in the middle of a song Chuck rolls up to Keef and Keef starts violently shaking his head "no."  And then in the after, Keith says that Chuck wanted to modulate, just because, even though they'd never practiced and you'd surprise the 10 other guys on stage.  What a train wreck that would've been.

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Like 1

You’ve perfectly encapsulated my style...

6 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

When I first started trying to sit in with some buddies, I was a nervous wreck. One of them told me to just turn the amp all the way down to start, and just play away. Nobody would hear me. It made me learn that lesson right away. As I played, I'm watching the guy across from me play, seeing him make little mistakes but powering on through them. Hmmm...still sounds good to me. Up came my amp volume.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:41 AM, VABuckeye said:

Yeah.  I seem to remember from my lab band days that the only people that usually know you fucked something up are you and your band mates.  The audience generally doesn't have a clue.

I always thought that was something nice they tell musicians so we don't feel bad when we fuck something up onstage-- I think it's more accurate to say the audience generally doesn't CARE, more than they don't notice

or maybe I am just extremely creative in the mistakes I make, because there is no way my last one didn't get noticed

My band played what turned out to be a horrible gig at a local "themed fun run".  For some reason, I got sideways on the chorus of a song and started playing the wrong chord progression.  I realized I was off the first time through and instinctively decided to keep playing the wrong progression throughout the chorus.  After the show, which about 50 people watched, a buddy of mine came up and said "hey, I like how you rewrote that one tune, that was cool".

In general, the audience is going to think you intended to do what you did unless you give them a reason to believe otherwise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Whether or not a note is wrong is determined by the note you play after it.

where does muttering "aw fuck" into the microphone put me?

post script, while that was a cute attempt at humor, I did not do that-- I'm not allowed near a microphone due to a horrible allergy to carrying a tune

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

where does muttering "aw fuck" into the microphone put me?

post script, while that was a cute attempt at humor, I did not do that-- I'm not allowed near a microphone due to a horrible allergy to carrying a tune

I remember young me mouthing "I fucked up" to the drummer during a song.  It was all he could do to keep playing.  I think we were about 16.

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Haha 1

Buddies of mine were in a pretty decent band that gigged some around Austin -- not too far apart from The Hickoids, etc.  Country punk.  The drummer was hilarious and the guitarist and he just did not get along well, although they were ostensibly "friends".  One night the drummer took the stage in a flannel shirt, the band started playing, the guitarist started bitching about something, turned around to yell at said drummer who had disrobed to unveil a hand-scrawled white t-shirt that said "The guitarist licks his balls like a dog".  Things went downhill from there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a new song I wrote in the key of E and just wrote a solo for it last week, most of our songs dont have solos but some call for it. Saturday was the 1st practice where I could try the new solo with the band.

Get to practice and we're playing another song with a solo, in the key of A. We're jamming and get to the solo and everything falls apart. I stop it and say let's start over. Get to the solo and it falls apart again. This time I just plow through and it all comes together and we finish it ok.

Afterwards the drummer and bass player are laughing their asses off me. "Dude, we were playing the A song and suddenly you started playing the solo for the E song, so we just followed you and finished with the E song!" As the temporary singer, I didnt even realise I had switched songs halfway through.

Then they decided it was a pretty cool transition and that we should consider integrating those two songs together like that. I haven't listened back to it yet to have a comment.

• Like 1

Where was this?  How did she sound?  She was pretty rough around the edges when she first released "Guyville" but I assume she at least became competent.  (Just talking as a live act, I love 2 or 3 of her records.)

I assumed Shaky Knees and indeed it is. Their lineup is always on point and hasn’t yet become a pop festival like most others have.

Yeah Shaky Knees. Saw her, Face To Face, Oh Sees, Incubus and Tears for Fears yesterday.

Liz always had an indie vibe and she still does, kinda garage bandish. I think it’s part of her appeal. She’s never been a top tier singer or guitar player but she writes cool songs. I enjoyed her set.

On 5/3/2019 at 11:19 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

I always thought that was something nice they tell musicians so we don't feel bad when we fuck something up onstage-- I think it's more accurate to say the audience generally doesn't CARE, more than they don't notice

or maybe I am just extremely creative in the mistakes I make, because there is no way my last one didn't get noticed

Most of them don't know, they aren't musically inclined, which is why so many shitty bands and artists make a lot of money selling bad music to them.