The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

That's a big fear of mine. I have a couple sets of Schaller strap locks, but I don't use them cuz I like to keep my vintage guitars stock and don't want to swap the pegs.

I should probably rethink that.

Imo, strap locks on vintage guitars is like late model tires on classic cars - the benefit is far too great, the performance and safety increase too significant, and they usually just look better than stock.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hullabelew said:
1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:
you make it sound like I did something sly when in fact it was simple mental retardation on my part
fbhyk1.jpg

Is that the less expensive one or the high dollar one? What do you want for it?

the 5420T-- I'm just reselling it for what I paid, since it only got about 12-15 hours of total play from me in the 8-9 months I owned it and I never gigged with it. $650 w/a hard case

you make it sound like I did something sly when in fact it was simple mental retardation on my part
fbhyk1.jpg

It’s called a “soft touch.” I usually reserve it for my fellow guitar addicts in this thread.

Otherwise, it would’ve been “where’s the damn pics you Surly asshole.”
  • Like 1

All this strap lock talk got me triggered. 

I yelled at my GF this morning after she picked up my 64 Mustang and tried to put it on - upside down. The upper horn was now the lower horn, and the angle of the strap peg was inverted. I could see the strap straining to hang on to the vintage peg, started having visions of the guitar crashing down to the floor and yelled out "No! Put it down!" I didn't even realize I had yelled at her, it was just a instinctive reaction. And she had no idea why I was yelling at her and telling her to put my guitar down. It felt like an emergency situation, and in the moment I didn't have time to explain the concept of strap locks to her or to even tell her that she had the guitar on upside down. I was just trying to avert a crisis.

She likes to pretend that the Mustang is hers because she thinks it's cute. It's little (like her) and she likes the color, which of course is the most important thing.

I'm gonna throw a set of locks on it today just so I'm not a dick to her anymore. 

How much time did you guys spend initially on the guitar?  I'm spending at least one to two hours a day.  I'll work on something for a while and then go to work and then when I have free time I'll come back to it.  My fingers are fine.  The tips get a little sore but no bad signs for sure.  They're toughening up quickly.  Each time I pick it up I do beginner practicing on finger picking, chords and basic pentatonic scales.  Plus I have a favorite song that I'm working the notes out on slowly.  I like the variety of working on different aspects of playing.

I enojoy every minute I spend working on it.  I do know that I need to structure my practice a bit more but I'll get there.

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

How much time did you guys spend initially on the guitar?  I'm spending at least one to two hours a day.  I'll work on something for a while and then go to work and then when I have free time I'll come back to it.  My fingers are fine.  The tips get a little sore but no bad signs for sure.  They're toughening up quickly.  Each time I pick it up I do beginner practicing on finger picking, chords and basic pentatonic scales.  Plus I have a favorite song that I'm working the notes out on slowly.  I like the variety of working on different aspects of playing.

I enojoy every minute I spend working on it.  I do know that I need to structure my practice a bit more but I'll get there.

Take some lessons. Instruction with feedback is always useful. Find some people to play with. Don't be conscientious. They have been there. Most fun I had was sitting in and playing bass, when I was first picking it up, in a full band situation, playing a simple bass line to "Folsom Prison Blues". Just being in time with everyone brought a big smile to my face. 

• Like 1

All this strap lock talk got me triggered. 
I yelled at my GF this morning after she picked up my 64 Mustang and tried to put it on - upside down. The upper horn was now the lower horn, and the angle of the strap peg was inverted. I could see the strap straining to hang on to the vintage peg, started having visions of the guitar crashing down to the floor and yelled out "No! Put it down!" I didn't even realize I had yelled at her, it was just a instinctive reaction. And she had no idea why I was yelling at her and telling her to put my guitar down. It felt like an emergency situation, and in the moment I didn't have time to explain the concept of strap locks to her or to even tell her that she had the guitar on upside down. I was just trying to avert a crisis.
She likes to pretend that the Mustang is hers because she thinks it's cute. It's little (like her) and she likes the color, which of course is the most important thing.
I'm gonna throw a set of locks on it today just so I'm not a dick to her anymore. 

Visions of Nigel Tufnel: “Don’t point at it”
  • Haha 1

I saw Willie Pipkin here in Austin last night. Not only could that dude play, everybody in his band took a turn on this green guitar and played it better than I ever could.

I couldnt make out who built this thing. Cool Jazzcaster type body with what looked like Filtertrons in it. I always wanted to build a Tele with Filtertrons, but this is way cooler.

5da36f7f9ec118dcf2d0c199a13f290c.jpg56096cacef5bb02431da8d3cfc9c6c28.jpg27a2e97306a06d8b7f18c1a2e90b7567.jpg

Love that setup . . . we're listening to the amp that's face down on the floor, and meanwhile there appears to be a Marshall head stacked on top of I don't know what, probably a relatively modern Fender combo.  Meanwhile, there appears to be a single hifi speaker (Acoustic Research?  KLH?) from 40 years ago casually hanging out and observing.

Face up on the floor has definitely been done before, especially in recording situations.  I believe Elliot Easton did a lot of his tracks with The Cars that way, using a Pignose amp.  For some reason I'm thinking I heard the same about Billy Gibbons, but that may be wrong.

There is a stupid deal of the hour today. One of the deal is for a Fishman FT-4 clip on tuner, put it in the cart and it's $25 for two of them. I have the FT-2 and liked it a lot, but can't find the little bugger. Anybody used the FT-4?

Edited by DougO

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Face up on the floor has definitely been done before, especially in recording situations.  I believe Elliot Easton did a lot of his tracks with The Cars that way, using a Pignose amp.  For some reason I'm thinking I heard the same about Billy Gibbons, but that may be wrong.

I've played face up on the floor. Oh, wait, we're talking about amps?

• Like 1

I saw Jimmie Vaughan at the Continental Club, which is where I usually go when in town, a couple years ago and he had his amp laying face up on a cocktail table. Pointing straight at the ceiling. Probably a good way to crank it a little more without piercing eardrums.

He uses 2 of the same. Can’t remember the amp though. I’ll ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 4/21/2019 at 5:07 PM, Buzzrock said:

I like your wall mount. I’m trying to figure out what I want to do in that regard myself.

Thanks. I got two 6-foot finished cedar planks from Southwestern Trading Post down here on Hamilton Pool and anchored them into the studs in the wall, then installed four String Swings per plank. The planks are about an inch thick so there's plenty for the swings to anchor into, without being dialed directly into studs themselves.

My only regret is that the wall wasn't another 8 feet long!

• Like 1

So I was pondering having a guitar dedicated to slide...which I do already, but you know, a different, maybe better one.  Plus it would give me a project to noodle around with.  Maybe find a body here, pick up there, etc.  Took me years the last time around.  I had recently seen Jason Isbell's Coodercaster and poking around looking for ideas, when there she was...

IMG_2628.jpg?format=1000w

Man, these guys have done the slide guitar all sorts of beautiful ways. 

And just listen...

They're quite proud of them, but from appearances, they oughta be.

http://www.waterslideguitars.com/2018/8/14/9nnq6p06gtf9yfijidtujdgztlmwx9

• Like 1

VABuckeye has inspired me. I started lessons with my son years ago. He moved onto drums and I just kinda put this thing in the closet and life got in the way. I pulled it out tonight, now to dig out my old music lessons and start back up.

851e94921d15337dce42b9f72e8ff8c9.jpg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Wait. Is that a bad cat?

Sort of. It's a Cougar 15. I believe some company paid Bad Cat for their name and made these on the cheap out of China. Today, I don't think "Official Bad Cat" acknowledges their existence.  I picked it up as a MF stupid deal of the day a few years ago when they were clearing them out. 

That's why I never answer a call from Ft Wayne that I'm not expecting.

I will say that the "demo" model 1960AX I saved $300 on showed up with a tear in the tolex in one spot. I sent then a pic this morning and they offered to either replace it with a brand new one, or offered an additional $125 credit. Fuck, its gonna get a tear at some point anyway so I took the cash. I ended up getting $1,400 cab for $1k. Not too bad. Thanks Sweetwater.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gasman said:

VABuckeye has inspired me. I started lessons with my son years ago. He moved onto drums and I just kinda put this thing in the closet and life got in the way. I pulled it out tonight, now to dig out my old music lessons and start back up.

851e94921d15337dce42b9f72e8ff8c9.jpg

Let’s learn together, brother.   I’m seeing progress although sometimes it feels like a step forward and two back.  I have a feeling I’ll feel like I have fat fingers for a while. 

I stumbled on a video by Justin Johnson and it’s given me some great finger exercises for my right hand so now I’m working both hands albeit slowly. 

• Like 1