The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

So.  Back to my guitar purchasing and learning.  I've decided on a Taylor.  I went to a shop and got some guitars in my hands and the Tayor felt really comfortable.  I'm also told it's a great brand to learn on.

Question.  Pickup or no pickup?  I have no illusions of playing in front of people.  

And that last guitar pic posted is drop dead gorgeous.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

So.  Back to my guitar purchasing and learning.  I've decided on a Taylor.  I went to a shop and got some guitars in my hands and the Tayor felt really comfortable.  I'm also told it's a great brand to learn on.

Question.  Pickup or no pickup?  I have no illusions of playing in front of people.  

And that last guitar pic posted is drop dead gorgeous.

What model of Taylor are you considering?  

11 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Maybe you all have seen this. Maybe you haven’t.  I sure enjoyed it. 

Mark Knopfler on Guitars

It's been covered here but it's still incredible. I've studied 5:49 to 5:56 at length and still can't come anywhere close to that smooth. Watch is first and second fingers on his right hand, they are doing up and down strokes.

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

314ce.  If I'm getting one I want all solid wood.  It has the new V bracing system as well.  Well, that's where I stand on it right now.  lol

I have a 414CE that I really like. Try them both. You can find used ones in good condition for nearly half the price on Reverb.

Yeah.  I know used gives me better value but I know I wouldn't be happy if someone used me to demo guitars and then went and bought somewhere else.  It's something I'm going to put some thought into.  I hate using up peoples time and then rewarding someone else with the purchase.

• Like 2

Look at the 316 and 416 as well.   They call them Grand Symphony, while the x14s are called Grand Auditorium. The difference is the x16s have a little thicker/bigger depth to the body, giving you more bottom end.  The x16s are relatively new (last 4-5 years I think) but I really wish they had made them when I bought my 514 in 2001.  It sounds better and better as it gets older but it doesn't have the bottom end I want.  Part of that is the cedar top on the 500 series...but the added depth really helps with the bottom end.  

33 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Look at the 316 and 416 as well.   They call them Grand Symphony, while the x14s are called Grand Auditorium. The difference is the x16s have a little thicker/bigger depth to the body, giving you more bottom end.  The x16s are relatively new (last 4-5 years I think) but I really wish they had made them when I bought my 514 in 2001.  It sounds better and better as it gets older but it doesn't have the bottom end I want.  Part of that is the cedar top on the 500 series...but the added depth really helps with the bottom end.  

This is good advice. The X16 models weren't available when I got my 414.

Love that Knopfler video . . . he's so humble, and really connects with the average player's plight, even though he's world class.  Plus, he's the guy who convinced me that it's not all that important to build vibrato with the classic blues pivot move advocated by all the purists.  It's perfectly OK to wiggle the string, because in the end, it's you and your guitar and your style.

• Like 1

Is there any difference between a 316 and 416 to make that leap?  Keeping in mind that I'm a novice and this is way more guitar than I'll need for quite a while.  The local shop doesn't have the X16 models in stock so I'd have to buy those models without seeing or handling them.

ETA: A 316ce costs the same new as a 314ce so I get that jump.  Old style bracing but I doubt that I'm in any position to notice it.  My piano ears do work though.  The guy at the shop was demoing a guitar and I told him the E's didn't sound quite right to me and sure enough they weren't quite in tune.

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 1

One of my favorite thing about Taylors, aside from the fact that they're extremely well built guitars, is that there isn't necessarily an improvement in sound as one goes up in price.  Much of that price increase is related to fancier trim, and sometimes more expensive woods, which may or may not sound better.

I own a 3-series Taylor and love it.  Just a basic, non-electric dreadnaught.  I've had it for almost 20 years and it still sounds fantastic, maybe better than when I bought it.  I can't say the same for my starter Seagull, which to be fair was probably 1/3 the price and not intended to be a lifer.  (It also did not get treated like a lifer.)

As always, try them out.  If you're not comfortable with your playing, take a friend and listen.

31 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Is there any difference between a 316 and 416 to make that leap?  Keeping in mind that I'm a novice and this is way more guitar than I'll need for quite a while.  The local shop doesn't have the X16 models in stock so I'd have to buy those models without seeing or handling them.

ETA: A 316ce costs the same new as a 314ce so I get that jump.  Old style bracing but I doubt that I'm in any position to notice it.  My piano ears do work though.  The guy at the shop was demoing a guitar and I told him the E's didn't sound quite right to me and sure enough they weren't quite in tune.

The 416 has 'better' wood (aka more expensive), especially on the back and sides.  Not sure about the tops, but I think that is pretty much the only difference.  Like JJazz says, they should play about the same.  Taylor is very consistent with that.  I played a very, very high dollar Taylor that was made for Steve Poltz recently while I was at Carter's in Nashville.   It was 'very flashy' but it really didn't sound or play that much different from another other Taylor (aside from the Baby Taylor) I've ever picked up.    

Buy what you like.  The 316 will give you more bass, but if you like the 314....by all means get that.  I haven't priced a new Taylor in years so what do I know.  

Edited by hullabelew

People routinely say they are blown away by the low end of my 316 when they play it. It’s the sappele version.

Definitely bassier than my 810. You can see the larger rear end of the 16 side by side.

6b501ff85fb2e5eb13ebf2d897caa634.jpg

The 810 is just sublime though. So smooth. Probably has something to do with 15 year old wood opening up or whatever.

The other thing about Taylors that is nice is the bolt on neck which is easy to reset to adjust the action if you want.

I see what you mean and more bass response makes sense in that body.

I cannot put a 16 series guitar in my hands in this area.  I've held a few Taylor's and they felt great in my hands but that's a model I'll have to purchase without handling.  That I have to put some thought into.  Honestly, there aren't very many of them available online which is probably a testament to the guitar.

Personally I wouldn’t buy an acoustic without playing it. They’re all just so different to me. I had probably played 20 different guitars in that price range before I bought the 16. I went it to buy a music stand one day and mistakenly picked it up. I knew in 30 seconds.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Personally I wouldn’t buy an acoustic without playing it. They’re all just so different to me. I had probably played 20 different guitars in that price range before I bought the 16. I went it to buy a music stand one day and mistakenly picked it up. I knew in 30 seconds.

I second this completely.  

• Like 1

Makes sense.  If the local store had a 16 series in stock it would make things easier.  The 316ce costs the same new as the 314ce so if I could put my hands on the damned thing the decision would be easy to make.  😎

And let's be honest.  If I end up like y'all it's not going to be the only guitar in my life.  The Knopfler video already has me digging electric.  I just know that I want to learn on acoustic.

Edited by VABuckeye

11 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I second this completely.  

Yep.  I went to buy my Taylor cash rich -- I would not have had any problem dropping $2,500 on a guitar -- and ended up with my 3xx (310? can't remember) at less than $1100 out the door with a case.  It sang to me.  I did not sing to it, I humiliated it and said "sucks to be you, you're mine now".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Makes sense.  If the local store had a 16 series in stock it would make things easier.  The 316ce costs the same new as the 314ce so if I could put my hands on the damned thing the decision would be easy to make.  😎

And let's be honest.  If I end up like y'all it's not going to be the only guitar in my life.  The Knopfler video already has me digging electric.  I just know that I want to learn on acoustic.

What area of VA are you in? 

16 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Northern VA about 25 miles west of DC.  Lots of guitar shops but none with those models.  At least that I can find in their listed inventory.

I just called and verified, they have a 416ce at the Guitar Center near me, in Arlington at Seven Corners.   They probably have them at most GCs, actually.  I'd be happy to meet you out somewhere so you can test out my Taylor 414ce, but you can probably find those at any GC too.

Just looked it up and I see that.  Thanks!  I was sticking with Fairfax as it's closer to me.  It looks like I need to a) get out there and b) see if I want to up the budget to cover that cost.

ETA: Looks like that is a rosewood model that they have.

Edited by VABuckeye

Just now, VABuckeye said:

Just looked it up and I see that.  Thanks!  I was sticking with Fairfax as it's closer to me.  It looks like I need to a) get out there and b) see if I want to up the budget to cover that cost.

You may ask the guys at GC if they'll have them ship the one in Arlington to Fairfax.  Or from some other place.  

It's funny, about a year ago a friend of mine called to say he'd fallen in love with 1 of the 3 HD28's they had at the local GC. I asked him not to tell me the Serial Number, let me go guess. I went in and played all 3 and one clearly stood out compared to the other two. I sent him the Serial Number and he bought it the next day. I really enjoy playing that one when I'm at his place.

So ya, I agree with those saying to buy an acoustic you've actually played.

9 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

It's funny, about a year ago a friend of mine called to say he'd fallen in love with 1 of the 3 HD28's they had at the local GC. I asked him not to tell me the Serial Number, let me go guess. I went in and played all 3 and one clearly stood out compared to the other two. I sent him the Serial Number and he bought it the next day. I really enjoy playing that one when I'm at his place.

So ya, I agree with those saying to buy an acoustic you've actually played.

Was it the same one he had identified? 

49 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

You may ask the guys at GC if they'll have them ship the one in Arlington to Fairfax.  Or from some other place.  

Seven Corners isn't far from Fairfax.  Of course, here we measure our drives in time and not in miles so depending on the time of day the drive could suck.  Fortunately, I can pick the time when I want to go.

Thanks for the heads up on GC guitars.  Melodee Music is local to me and about four miles away.  If I can work it out I'd like to buy from them as I can see myself spending a fair amount of time there over time.