Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, Fud said:

They supposedly have some concerns about Eaton regarding inconsistent play and wanted to evaluate him further, and supposedly they really like Crawford. I think it's Ringo, then Kimber and Crawford are 2a/2b, and then others like Eaton, Rogers, Watts, etc, but that's just me putting it all together

The smart thing to do is kick the cans down the road for as long as possible if guys aren't separating themselves from the pack so you can get more data, but Kimber and Crawford might be doing just that, and maybe Watts/Rogers leaning OU makes their decision easier?

I think Kimber most likely ends up at Bama anyway, so it could just be Ringo and Crawford, which would still be great. 

Which could lead the way to taking Washington, Thompson, and Ransom at safety.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

They supposedly have some concerns about Eaton regarding inconsistent play and wanted to evaluate him further, and supposedly they really like Crawford. I think it's Ringo, then Kimber and Crawford are 2a/2b, and then others like Eaton, Rogers, Watts, etc, but that's just me putting it all together

The smart thing to do is kick the cans down the road for as long as possible if guys aren't separating themselves from the pack so you can get more data, but Kimber and Crawford might be doing just that, and maybe Watts/Rogers leaning OU makes their decision easier?

I think Kimber most likely ends up at Bama anyway, so it could just be Ringo and Crawford, which would still be great. 

CB and S numbers always get a little weird with the nickel spot, though with Locke previously and now Foster running at the 1, it definitely seems to profile more towards a Safety build and skill set, and the staff takes more numbers at S than CB most years.

If were only taking Ringo and Crawford, then I’d assume the staff doesn’t currently view Crawford as a nickel, but things could change when he gets to campus. I’d be surprised at only taking 2 true corners, since Cook, Green, and Boyce could all be gone by 2021 and we only took Watson and Caldwell last year (and I’m not convinced Caldwell will pan out at outside CB). 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

CB and S numbers always get a little weird with the nickel spot, though with Locke previously and now Foster running at the 1, it definitely seems to profile more towards a Safety build and skill set, and the staff takes more numbers at S than CB most years.

If were only taking Ringo and Crawford, then I’d assume the staff doesn’t currently view Crawford as a nickel, but things could change when he gets to campus. I’d be surprised at only taking 2 true corners, since Cook, Green, and Boyce could all be gone by 2021 and we only took Watson and Caldwell last year (and I’m not convinced Caldwell will pan out at outside CB). 

Is it clear that Foster is the nickel, and not Thompson? I'm not sure yet

I agree on Caldwell, but I think Jamison could play there

Watson and Ringo would be a strong starting CB duo for 2021, but I suppose depth could be an issue if both Green and Cook leave early, Jamison doesn't hang around or pan out, Caldwell doesn't pan out, and Crawford isn't ready. So Kimber would really help there. Obviously, we really need to land Ringo. 

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

Watson and Ringo would be a strong starting CB duo for 2021, but I suppose depth could be an issue if both Green and Cook leave early, Jamison doesn't hang around or pan out, Caldwell doesn't pan out, and Crawford isn't ready. So Kimber would really help there. Obviously, we really need to land Ringo. 

It’s not. I just said he’s currently running at the 1, and Locke has more of a safety skill set, than outside corner, so it seems to me that they like safety attributes better there. It’s not definitive by any means. Now that I think about it, you could actually look at the nickel spot as more about Overshown v. Thompson. Foster will be on the field no matter what, be it nickel or Joker. So the real question seems to be who is part of the best 11, Overshown at Joker or Thompson at Nickel?

Yeah. I like our top end talent at CB a ton for the next few years (assuming we get Ringo), but our depth is more my concern. In 2021, we could be looking at Jamison, Watson, Caldwell, Ringo, and Crawford. That doesn’t seem like enough depth to me. One or two injuries there could really derail your season, especially in the Big 12. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s not. I just said he’s currently running at the 1, and Locke has more of a safety skill set, than outside corner, so it seems to me that they like safety attributes better there. 

I think it's still an unknown if their ideal fit is a physical outside corner who can hold up at the point of attack, or an athletic safety who can cover. They did recruit Jamison for that spot, although I think it's apparent that he might not be physical enough for it. Maybe if Thompson didn't struggle so much last year and was better this spring, they'd prefer his type there?

It's one of the most interesting things to watch for this offseason and then fall camp. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think it's still an unknown if their ideal fit is a physical outside corner who can hold up at the point of attack, or an athletic safety who can cover. They did recruit Jamison for that spot, although I think it's apparent that he might not be physical enough for it. Maybe if Thompson didn't struggle so much last year and was better this spring, they'd prefer his type there?

It's one of the most interesting things to watch for this offseason and then fall camp. 

Yeah. I’m sure they’d take either one, but it definitely requires a special skill set to be good, like possibly 1st round NFL skill set, which I find less than optimal, since you can’t just find guys like that anywhere.

But it seems to me that Orlando views run responsibilities as the primary component and man coverage skills after that, so I expect it will tend towards safety types more often than not. However, a CB who can play man in the slot and is good in the run game/around the LOS is probably the ideal fit for the position. 

Problem for Thompson is he struggled in the run game and in coverage. The staff at least knows Foster won’t have trouble with the run.

Edited by Burt Macklin

47 minutes ago, Fud said:

Wouldn't Green have to start a year before he leaves for the NFL?

6 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

You could kiss Overshown goodbye at that point. If he was already close to transferring this offseason, no way he’d stay with another year of minimal playing time. 

Yep.  The environment has completely changed with the portal and liberal granting of waivers.  I'm sure TH will adjust, if he hasn't already, but the staff needs to include a legit personnel department that manages all options for talent acquisition.  We also need to have people dedicated to re-recruiting those already signed and on campus.  Constantly.  Game has definitely changed.

33 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Just an homers hunch but I feel like Chris Brown beats out Overshown for the 6th DB spot and plays some good ball for us

I think Brown is quality depth and could start for a lot of programs. It would be a little disappointing if he were one of our top 6 DBs this year, though.

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Wouldn't Green have to start a year before he leaves for the NFL?

He has an NFL skill set, and He’s only been on campus one year and he spent most of his time in HS at QB. We’re talking about growth curves here. He’ll, there’s a good chance he’s a starter in 2019. If he starts in 2019 and 2020, he’ll likely declare after that.

5 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Oh I get it now.  I'm in love with Giles.  Ha.

So, Sydney and Schulz, does Giles get any credit for the Broughton recruitment?  

So let me get this straight. You criticize people who brought up negatives about Giles yesterday, even though they cite three year trends, but you now want to give Giles credit for an uncommitted prospect—a prospect for whom it’s been consistently reported that Herman is recruiting personally?

You should probably let this go. Recruits speaking kindly about Giles is up there with them calling Texas their dream school. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3

Not what the write up said.  It said Giles has been putting in OT recruiting Broughton and it's paying off and we're in the lead.

I'm just wondering if any of you Giles haters has the character to admit it.

And again, saying relax isn't "criticizing" or "bitching at" no matter how many times you want to characterize it that way, Burt.  That's simply dishonest.

Edited by Scholz

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

you now want to give Giles credit for an uncommitted prospect—a prospect for whom it’s been consistently reported that Herman is recruiting personally?

— Vernon Broughton is fresh off of a visit from LSU, and it sounds like the Tigers made a good impression on him. He’s still sorting out which spring game he will attend, but he wants to get back to Texas soon. He’s not close to forming a top group yet, but he did acknowledge that the Longhorns have always been near the top of his list. Oscar Giles is putting in overtime on this recruitment, and it sounds like it’s paying off. In speaking with Broughton and sources near him, it sounds like his camp prefers Texas at this point. I was told that the decision will be up to Vernon, but Texas should feel good about its place here.

3 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Not what the write up said.  It said Giles has been putting in OT recruiting Broughton and it's paying off and we're in the lead.

Admit what? Lol. First, Broughton hasn’t signed and has a lot of big visits still upcoming.

Second, There’s been way more reports saying Herman is recruiting Broughton personally. One report saying “Giles putting in OT” doesn’t change that. 

If Broughton commits, Giles should get some of the credit but not all of it if it’s confirmed that Herman was heavily involved. Same for Coburn in 2018. Meekins was the primary recruiter over Giles, so Giles gets some credit for that but Meekins gets more. This isn’t difficult to comprehend.

Edited by Burt Macklin

Oh I get it now.  I'm in love with Giles.  Ha.

So, Sydney and Schulz, does Giles get any credit for the Broughton recruitment?  

Because of one positive blurb by EJ fucking Holland? Listen, this is going to come off as super asshole-ish, and I don't necessarily intend it that way, but I have to ask: Are you crediting Oscar Giles with "credit" for a recruit based on one positive comment by EJ Holland in regards to a high school that hasn't even committed to the University of Texas yet? Because if so, on the surface, that would seem like someone really trying to stretch for a reason to credit Giles. 

8 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I heard giles was crying before he walked up to his phone and made the decision to recruit Broughton after having slept on it the night before.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Scholz said:

Right.  It's not hard to understand.  You won't give Giles credit even when it's due.  

Why should Giles get the most credit for Coburn when he wasn’t the primary recruiter? You’re so caught up on defending Giles that simple logic escapes you.

Edited by Burt Macklin

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Because of one positive blurb by EJ fucking Holland? Listen, this is going to come off as super asshole-ish, and I don't necessarily intend it that way, but I have to ask: Are you crediting Oscar Giles with "credit" for a recruit based on one positive comment by EJ Holland in regards to a high school that hasn't even committed to the University of Texas yet? Because if so, on the surface, that would seem like someone really trying to stretch for a reason to credit Giles. 

Sure why not?  There were several flegellating, quivering vaginas on here yesterday blaming Giles because a couple of kids from Bastrop and Manor haven't committed to Texas yet in March of their Junior years and might want to see other metropolitan areas first.  

Just now, Scholz said:

Right.  It's not hard to understand.  You won't give Giles credit even when it's due.  

Having to give Giles "credit" for a kid that hasn't even committed to the University of Texas at ANY point in this process...well, it sounds just about right for Oscar Giles, really. While we're at it, we've really got to give credit to Stan Drayton for all his near misses last cycle, etc. Come the fuck on man. You're smarter than this. It's literally you and a handful of mouthbreathers at this point. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Why should Giles get the most credit for Coburn when he wasn’t the primary recruiter? You’re so caught up on defending Giles that simple logic escapes you.

Why should Giles not get credit even when that's what the recruit is saying?  Seems that you're lack of character is blocking you from your predisposition.

Sure why not?  There were several flegellating, quivering vaginas on here yesterday blaming Giles because a couple of kids from Bastrop and Manor haven't committed to Texas yet in March of their Junior years and might want to see other metropolitan areas first.  

You do realize the absurdity of accusing people of being pissed when kids that many feel should be committed aren't, meanwhile you want to suck the dick of a coach who's targets haven't even committed yet like they've achieved something, right? Listen man, you brought this shit back up today completely unprompted from the rest of us now you've gone and jumped the shark into fucking Taylor Hamm land levels of absurdity. You're about 2 steps away from following Giles into a restroom and offering to film Broughton's commitment video. 

Just now, Scholz said:

Jesus dude. See my first post above about three year trends. This shit isn’t getting brought up in a vacuum. Not to mention one kid lives 30 minutes from here and the other is a Texas legacy. They’re not just random DL recruits.

Why should Giles not get credit even when that's what the recruit is saying?  Seems that you're lack of character is blocking you from your predisposition.

Credit for what? He hasn’t even gotten a commitment, let alone a signature. Coaches don’t get credit for having someone say nice things about them. Recruits will say nice things about every coach that recruits them.

It’s meaningless if Broughton doesn’t sign with Texas. If Broughton does, Giles will get some of the credit. It’s not that hard to understand.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Scholz said:

But he can be criticized for Collins and Unmanlien not having committed yet?

Yes. It's his fucking job to get kids to commit. If they're not committed and there is every possibly advantage in our favor, they can be criticized for failing at their job. Especially if it is a fucking trend. On the other hand, you want to celebrate the guy for NOT having them committed? Listen, I realize that historically it might SEEM that way, but getting kids to Not Commit To Texas isn't ACTUALLY Oscar Giles's fucking job. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Credit for what, exactly? Having someone say something nice about him?

22 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Omeire: I like Texas, A&M, and Norte Dame. Books and school are super important to me.

Omeire mom: hold my beer, we have to go stop by at least 3 other $EC campuses

That update just read a little weird to me, but maybe I’ve followed recruiting too long.

He'll end up at aggy.  We need to land Wilson and the Temple kid.

Just now, Scholz said:

You don't have character to admit when you're hypocritical and wrong is all I'm seeing.  It's fine.  You're butthurt about the Broughton quote and can't man up.

Listen dude, I realize you're a regular poster on here and have been for years. I suppose I'm giving you more credit than you've earned for being a regular. If you can't seem to remember or realize that the Giles Lip Service about how hard he's working and how much kids like him is repeated every single year, over and over, without the results to back it up, well there's not much else myself or anyone else can do. We see this shit said every year, over and over. 

And by the way, you're really going out on a limb for what wasn't even a direct quote by Broughton. Go back and re-read that quote you pasted. It's EJ Holland giving HIS OPINION after talking with Broughton. EJ Fucking Holland. That's who you're bunkering up with on this one. 

13 minutes ago, Scholz said:

And again, saying relax isn't "criticizing" or "bitching at" no matter how many times you want to characterize it that way, Burt.  That's simply dishonest.

11 minutes ago, Scholz said:

— Vernon Broughton is fresh off of a visit from LSU, and it sounds like the Tigers made a good impression on him. He’s still sorting out which spring game he will attend, but he wants to get back to Texas soon. He’s not close to forming a top group yet, but he did acknowledge that the Longhorns have always been near the top of his list. Oscar Giles is putting in overtime on this recruitment, and it sounds like it’s paying off. In speaking with Broughton and sources near him, it sounds like his camp prefers Texas at this point. I was told that the decision will be up to Vernon, but Texas should feel good about its place here.

9 minutes ago, Scholz said:

7 minutes ago, Scholz said:

6 minutes ago, Scholz said:

4 minutes ago, Scholz said:

But he can be criticized for Collins and Unmanlien not having committed yet?

You don't have character to admit when you're hypocritical and wrong is all I'm seeing.  It's fine.  You're butthurt about the Broughton quote and can't man up.

2wg01y.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Credit for what, exactly? Having someone say something nice about him?

For leading in his recruitment.  And putting in work to get us there.  Zero acknowledgment from the haters here.  Meanwhile kids who haven't committed by Spring Break of their JR years is a capital offense.  Can't have one and not the other.

• Like 1

Just now, Scholz said:

For leading in his recruitment.  And putting in work to get us there.  Zero acknowledgment from the haters here.  Meanwhile kids who haven't committed by Spring Break of their JR years is a capital offense.  Can't have one and not the other.

He's not even fucking committed dude!

Image result for i feel like i'm taking crazy pills gif

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

He'll end up at aggy.  We need to land Wilson and the Temple kid.

Most likely. We’ll be fine. He’s a good prospect, but he’snot such a special talent that he can’t be replaced (unlike the other aggy we commit). Plus, he and Wilson both play X, so if we get Wilson, it’ll be even better than him. If not, I still think we can find comparable talent. His 4.8 40 and 4.7 shuttle are just so bad. Unless he shows those were flukes at another camp, that’s a pretty big red flag.

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

IHe has an NFL skill set, and He’s only been on campus one year and he spent most of his time in HS at QB. We’re talking about growth curves here. He’ll, there’s a good chance he’s a starter in 2019. If he starts in 2019 and 2020, he’ll likely declare after that. 

That is a lot of ifs. The guy hasn't started in college and you are acting like he will leave early for the draft. There are way too many unknowns for that. Shit, by your standard we need to worry about every 2018 recruit. And that would hold true for 2019 and 2020 as well. Gone are the days where we take guys as fillers and package deals.

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I suppose I'm giving you more credit than you've earned for being a regular.

Well golly.  I guess that's one life goal I missed out on.

I like how you call people stupid who you disagree with right off the bat. I'll try to be more like that.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1