Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

6 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Ossai was all BC I don’t ever remember Giles being heavily mentioned.

I think at one point Giles was able to help pry Ossai away from A&M by telling him Price wouldn't be retained at A&M (this was right after Sumlin was fired and no one knew who from A&M's staff was going to get the axe). Liucci went on a super-butthurt rant about it.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Just Leal. We were also pushing for NaNa last May and didn't get him, though maybe that ends up being a good thing.

Who knows, maybe with a Jason Washington-type recruiter at DL we would have landed Perkins in 2018, but it's hard to tell with these OOS recruitments.

Like Burt Macklin says, it's about the process, not the outcome.

If we land at least 3 out of 4 of Broughton, Collins, Dorbah, and Princely this cycle, maybe I'll grudgingly accept that our "process" with recruiting high-level DL works.

Missed on Tatum and Perkins.

Hard to put the Leal loss on Giles. That came out of nowhere. Felt like a sucker punch, which maybe it was. True that our DL recruiting hasn't been tops in the country, and I don't know to what extent that lands on Giles. But frequently in their interviews, recruits seem to say that he's a cool guy and they talk to him often. Maybe he doesn't have highest level of credentials for putting people in the league? But Poona's a great story. Would be cool to see Hampton or Rodgers or Redding come back to the program in the same capacity as Vasher or Huff. Maybe that would bring a little more glamour to the DL. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nowhichski said:

Hard to put the Leal loss on Giles. That came out of nowhere. Felt like a sucker punch, which maybe it was. True that our DL recruiting hasn't been tops in the country, and I don't know to what extent that lands on Giles. But frequently in their interviews, recruits seem to say that he's a cool guy and they talk to him often. Maybe he doesn't have highest level of credentials for putting people in the league? But Poona's a great story. Would be cool to see Hampton or Rodgers or Redding come back to the program in the same capacity as Vasher or Huff. Maybe that would bring a little more glamour to the DL. 

Being a cool guy doesn't make a shit if you can't close. I know plenty of sales people who are great at building rapport, but can't seal the deal for shit. 

Tim "commit on these hittas" Beck seems like a goofy motherfucker, but he's apparently very good at connecting and closing. 

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Being a cool guy doesn't make a shit if you can't close. I know plenty of sales people who are great at building rapport, but can't seal the deal for shit. 

Tim "commit on these hittas" Beck seems like a goofy motherfucker, but he's apparently very good at connecting and closing. 

Good point. 

What in the eff is going on? Why is there so much recruiting panicking going on? It’s way too early for that. And it’s coming from veterans. STFU and chill. We are going 11-1 or 10-2 and kids will be begging to get in this tight class. We need 21 tops kids. Piece of cake.

• Like 4

While the case for Giles is completely, 100% circumstantial, the case against Giles is completely, 100% hyperbolic. Should he be better? No shit, Sherlock. Should he be replaced? Almost definitely.

But we seem to keep chugging along anyway. Which tells me that if you're bitching about him at this point, you probably need an antihistamine or three. And maybe some scotch.

• Haha 1

Mack is kissing east coast asses in NC as we speak.    Mack/Giles has nothing to do with this discussion unless we want to start comparing GDGD recruiting too.  Case says hi.  Giles is a good coach and so far we are recruiting at a top 3-5 level in the NCAA.   When he shits the bed and has a class of DL that is below top 10 wake me up and I will start bitching too.  

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

While the case for Giles is completely, 100% circumstantial, the case against Giles is completely, 100% hyperbolic. Should he be better? No shit, Sherlock. Should he be replaced? Almost definitely.

But we seem to keep chugging along anyway. Which tells me that if you're bitching about him at this point, you probably need an antihistamine or three. And maybe some scotch.

We really just need to rebalance the coaching staff - there's a reason our recruiting issues are mostly on defense. We have an offensive HC and two different WR coaches, it's asinine.

1 minute ago, lemonandaturd said:

Mack is kissing east coast asses in NC as we speak.    Mack/Giles has nothing to do with this discussion unless we want to start comparing GDGD recruiting too.  Case says hi.  Giles is a good coach and so far we are recruiting at a top 3-5 level in the NCAA.   When he shits the bed and has a class of DL that is below top 10 wake me up and I will start bitching too.  

Our DL class last year was fine, but no one would call it top 10.

21 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What in the eff is going on? Why is there so much recruiting panicking going on? It’s way too early for that. And it’s coming from veterans. STFU and chill. We are going 11-1 or 10-2 and kids will be begging to get in this tight class. We need 21 tops kids. Piece of cake.

Especially for a guy that is 4 down on the list of must haves, and the other 3 are leans towards Texas.

Edited by HtownHorn

9 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Besides your god awful idea of lying to recruits about a scheme change they’ll see doesn’t actually happen next year, your premise is wrong. 3 man fronts are close to half the league at this point and have been increasing in number as more and more teams move to a spread O because it allows more versatility and disguising coverages, so the QB can’t get as clean of a pre-snap read. This is especially helpful in college where a lot of systems are built to go to a single option based on pre-snap reads. 

In other words, this you writing this post:

tenor.gif?itemid=7348973

Jesus fucking Christ. Take a plane ride and see lots of stupid shit when I land. 

I will put all my sarcasm in quotes so some of you can follow along. 

1 guy said a majority of NFL runs 3-4 and that is incorrect. I found 12 that do a majority. That means rest do 4-3. 

Interesting fact is some of best 2018 D’s do run 3-4. Maybe some one should let Oscar know this by tweeting him. “Sarcasm” for the slow on here. 

• Like 1

Outside of Leal, nobody last year was a "big loss" that we didn't land in-state.

Sure, we'd have taken NaNa, but as others have pointed out it's no massive loss.

Nobody wanted Stripling in the end except OU, who's desperate for anybody that plays defense.

You could make the argument based on film that Sweat was the 2nd best DL in Texas last year.  Don't forget he was one our earliest offers, so Herman obviously liked something.

Hopefully we have another 10+ win year while aggy sputters around and we have some DL committed this time next year for 2021 ( Adeleye, Jackson, Sanders ).  And I love the early offer for that kid from P.A. Memoral that also power lifts and runs track.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

We really just need to rebalance the coaching staff - there's a reason our recruiting issues are mostly on defense. We have an offensive HC and two different WR coaches, it's asinine.

True, but I think we can win it all with this staff.

26 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Outside of Leal, nobody last year was a "big loss" that we didn't land in-state.

Sure, we'd have taken NaNa, but as others have pointed out it's no massive loss.

Nobody wanted Stripling in the end except OU, who's desperate for anybody that plays defense.

You could make the argument based on film that Sweat was the 2nd best DL in Texas last year.  Don't forget he was one our earliest offers, so Herman obviously liked something.

Hopefully we have another 10+ win year while aggy sputters around and we have some DL committed this time next year for 2021 ( Adeleye, Jackson, Sanders ).  And I love the early offer for that kid from P.A. Memoral that also power lifts and runs track.

Bragg would look nice on the depth chart right about now 

• Like 5

Texas offered Bru a full year before Wright, and received a commitment from Smith before Wright committed. I think Texas ended up OK at WR.

Yes. It worked out. But it was still a loss and we very much wanted him at the time. And we aren’t going to get a 5-star fall into our laps like that to replace the stud we lost every year. That was very fortunate.
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas offered Bru a full year before Wright, and received a commitment from Smith before Wright committed. I think Texas ended up OK at WR.

You’re rewriting the narrative. Yes, we ended up amazing at WR. In a miraculous twist of fate, a signed 5 star WR was able to get out of his LOI because a coach left for the NFL. That doesn’t mitigate the Dylan Wright to Aggy was a big L. It happens. It’s okay to admit. We ended up better, but come one, it was an L

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

That's actually a good point. If Sydney and CTJ can't talk about Giles, golfclap can't say anything about Drayton.

11 hours ago, Newy25 said:

So on a recruiting board you do not want to discuss the development of key recruits and our position coach’s involvement anymore because it bothers you? 

I think all of that stuff is pretty germane to this thread topic. 

Agreed here. I’ll type about Giles whenever the fuck I want. I started the meme. He was never referenced as a concern at any length ahead of it. I fought through 50 midgets to change the direction regarding the view of him as a recruiter and I’ll do as I please. I fucking hate having to resume read to fuckers. 

I’ve been slammed and will continue to be. Trying to wade through 4 pages of this dogshit is tough sledding. Burt Macklin fucking owned here lately, though. 

• Like 1