Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Outside of Leal, nobody last year was a "big loss" that we didn't land in-state.

Sure, we'd have taken NaNa, but as others have pointed out it's no massive loss.

Nobody wanted Stripling in the end except OU, who's desperate for anybody that plays defense.

You could make the argument based on film that Sweat was the 2nd best DL in Texas last year.  Don't forget he was one our earliest offers, so Herman obviously liked something.

Hopefully we have another 10+ win year while aggy sputters around and we have some DL committed this time next year for 2021 ( Adeleye, Jackson, Sanders ).  And I love the early offer for that kid from P.A. Memoral that also power lifts and runs track.

IDK if you're not counting Kenyon Green because UT was never really in it, but a lineman that good should be considered a loss. 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Agreed here. I’ll type about Giles whenever the fuck I want. I started the meme. He was never referenced as a concern at any length ahead of it. I fought through 50 midgets to change the direction regarding the view of him as a recruiter and I’ll do as I please. I fucking hate having to resume read to fuckers. 

I’ve been slammed and will continue to be. Trying to wade through 4 pages of this dogshit is tough sledding. Burt Macklin fucking owned here lately, though. 

Not too slammed to pat yourself on the back.  

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

here you go 

—Let’s start with Zachary Evans. The five-star running back prospect had every eye focused on him during the camp, and it’s safe to say he was a bit all over the place when it came to interviews. Evans is a really smart kid, and he’s been bombarded with questions at every event he attends. Evans told me he plans to take all of his official visits out-of-state since he’s been to the in-state schools so often. We’ve heard this talk quite a bit from prospects during past cycles, so we will see how things shake out when it comes down to scheduling them.

—In talking with other sources, Texas should still feel good about its chances here. The Longhorns are obviously recruiting him hard, and some credit should go to Corby Meekins who serves as the area recruiter. This is a collective effort by the entire Texas staff, but Evans mentioned Meekins several times throughout the day. It’s also important to remember that the things he says now carry less weight since this recruitment will carry on to the very end. Evans did say he’s dead set on going to school wherever his teammate Damieon George goes.

—One interesting factor in Evans’ recruitment is his interest in meeting strength and conditioning coaches. Evans noted that Texas strength coach Yancy McKnight was the one who stood out to him among the ones he met. As far as offensive line groups go, Evans mentioned Ohio State, Texas and Texas A&M as schools putting together good offensive line groups. Evans said Texas quarterback commit Hudson Card is the one prospect recruiting him the hardest right now, and he sometimes speaks with Logan Parr.

—Speaking of George, he said Texas is in his top group, but the Longhorns are behind several SEC programs. I got the sense from George that he really hasn’t started to zero in on any schools yet, so Texas has time. The Longhorns will need to work to get him back on campus and solidify their spot in his recruitment. Despite listing three SEC schools at the top of his list, George said he didn’t have a conference preference. George simply wants to go to a program that wins and one that can develop him for the NFL. I did speak with another reporter who told me George had Georgia, LSU and Texas as the top three schools that he mentioned when speaking with him, so like Evans, he was a bit all over the place with interviews.

—Another important factor for Evans is going to be Chad Lindberg. Evans is close with the four-star offensive lineman, and Lindberg has been high on Texas since the beginning. Despite that, Lindberg made it clear that his recruitment is more open than is being reported. Texas and Stanford have been the schools mentioned most, but Lindberg also talked at length about Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU and Auburn as schools he has heavy interest in. The Longhorns need to just continue plugging away, and they have a great chance to make another big impression when Lindberg visits Austin for the spring game.

—Let’s go to the 2021 offensive line group. The Katy Taylor duo of Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster are both planning to return to Austin soon for a spring practice. They’ve also got upcoming visits planned to Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Stanford. It’s clear that both players plan on taking their time and doing thorough research. There’s not much to see at this time with either, but if I had to guess I’d say that Foster sounds a little higher on the Longhorns than Conner right now.

— Elite 2021 Bellaire Episcopal offensive lineman Donovan Jackson is also taking his time. Jackson, Foster and Conner are all very smart kids, and they are also close with one another. That said, I don’t’ get the feeling there is any type of package deal going on here. Jackson said that he’s maintaining a very good relationship with Herb Hand, but he wants to see as many of his top programs as possible. Jackson will visit Ohio State for its spring game, and the Buckeyes are a bigger threat than most realize. Jackson’s family is from Ohio, and he is the only Texas-born member. Jackson said his mom actually carries buckeyes in her purse regularly.

—Four-star wide receiver Troy Omeire is nearing a decision. He’s looking at making official visits to Texas A&M, Notre Dame and Texas during the spring, and he mentioned making unofficial visits to LSU, Arkansas and Alabama. Omeire said he’s not leaning anywhere at this moment, but he did say he wanted to make a decision before the end of the current school year. Omeire spent some time with Joseph Ossai and Malcolm Epps on his visit, and he likes how Drew Mehringer teaches the position. This appears to be a two-team race between Texas and A&M, but it’s difficult to get a read on Omeire. He’s somewhat guarded in interviews, and he didn’t say anything to indicate he was leaning one way or the other.

—Here is a quick note on 2022 Atascocita offensive lineman Kam Dewberry. We mentioned him as a prospect that turned heads with his performance during the camp. Dewberry said he’s already had contact with Texas, and he’s planning to visit for the spring game. If an offer comes for him, Texas would be considered a strong favorite based on conversations I had with him and those around him.

— Vernon Broughton is fresh off of a visit from LSU, and it sounds like the Tigers made a good impression on him. He’s still sorting out which spring game he will attend, but he wants to get back to Texas soon. He’s not close to forming a top group yet, but he did acknowledge that the Longhorns have always been near the top of his list. Oscar Giles is putting in overtime on this recruitment, and it sounds like it’s paying off. In speaking with Broughton and sources near him, it sounds like his camp prefers Texas at this point. I was told that the decision will be up to Vernon, but Texas should feel good about its place here.

— Four-star defensive lineman Alfred Collins mentioned Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Alabama and Notre Dame as the schools that stood out to him this spring. Collins did say that he grew up a UT fan and that Texas is “in his blood.” He plans to visit Texas A&M for its spring game, and he would like to get back to Austin for a spring practice. Texas is pitching him as an end. Collins wants to make some spring official visits, and he currently has no timeline set for his decision. Collins has called Texas his leader in the past, but no one should discount the chances for Oklahoma and A&M in this race.

— Princely Umanmielen has an interesting skillset and he’s growing into his frame. He called the recruiting process “fun and stressful”, but he’s trying to keep a clear mind. He has upcoming visits planned to LSU and Oklahoma in the future. Umanmielen said he wants to play in a four-man front, but he did say he’s okay with playing in an odd front if the school is the right fit. OU and LSU are high on his list, and it sounds like Texas A&M is working their way in after offering late. I’d expect Umanmielen to take his visits and delay his decision a bit.

— There isn’t much new to report with Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford. The four-star prospect just returned from an Oregon visit, and he had nice things to say about the experience. I still get the sense that Texas and LSU are the two programs leading the race right now, and Alford plans to make his decision near signing day.

— One last note from the weekend. I caught up with Texas A&M commit Demond Demas following his special performance during The Opening regional. Demas maintained that he’s “100 percent” committed to Texas A&M, but he offered a slight caveat. He said that he has “two percent” each for Alabama, Texas, Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State. When I asked him how the math worked out, Demas said that he keeps it 110 percent. Demas said he plans to get back to Austin next month, and he hears from Drew Mehringer, Tom Herman and Corby Meekins on a daily basis. (Roach)

— The Longhorns hosted a number of spring visitors last week for practices. Tommy Brockermeyer and James Brockermeyer were on campus with their father Blake. I was told the group had a great visit, and they are very familiar with what Texas brings to the table. They ended the week with a visit to Michigan, where James picked up a Wolverine offer. Texas will evaluate James during the spring, but I don’t expect either to shut it down any time soon.

— Texas also hosted the Duncanville trio of Chris Thompson, Ja'Quinden Jackson and Kendrick Blackshire. I’m told the visit went very well for all three, and they got to spend some quality time with the staff and team, and I was told that Thompson in particular bonded closely with some current players. Jackson spent time with Ra'Shaad Samples and Tim Beck, and Texas made a very good pitch regarding his future with a shot at quarterback. I was also told that Blackshire had a great time watching linebackers, and the Longhorns are making some progress there.

— It is important to note that Beck has been recruiting Jackson as more of a quarterback since before he started talking about it as his position of preference. Beck is perhaps the best recruiter on staff, and Jackson is building a strong relationship with him. Jackson loves how open the Texas staff is about his future and other than LSU, there isn’t another team I think that’s close to UT at this time. I’m told that Card will be the only quarterback take this cycle unless Jackson wants onboard. Obviously, Texas thinks he’s special.

— Five-star cornerback Kelee Ringo made news by spending an entire week on an unofficial visit to Austin. Ringo spent a lot of time with players, including De'Gabriel Floyd and Bru McCoy, and sources in Austin conveyed a ton of confidence coming out of the visit. There is still a long way to go in this one, and Ringo intends to take his visits, but last week was huge for Texas in this recruitment.

— To be honest, if Texas doesn’t reel in Ringo, it would be a disappointment. Texas is the only school that has hosted him on multiple occasions, and the fact that he decided to spend the whole week in Austin and wanted to keep it on the down low speaks volumes. I don’t think there is a question that the Longhorns are in the pole position at this time. Ringo loves Jason Washington and Beck and has ties to the program. His mother also seems high on Texas as well. Washington will always be in the picture for Ringo, and Ohio State, Oklahoma and UCLA are making big pushes.

— There have been questions about how hard Texas is recruiting rising cornerback Kitan Crawford. According to sources, Crawford is definitely a take. The Longhorns love his speed, athleticism and versatility. Texas hosted Crawford for the second time this offseason, and I’m told the Longhorns are in the driver’s seat. Arkansas will look to make things interesting as there are some strong East Texas ties on the Razorbacks staff. I’m told Crawford could shut things down before the end of spring. (Holland/Roach)

— Texas cornerback signee Kenyatta Watson II will spend 12 days in Austin for his spring break at the end of the month. Watson actually talks to Jason Washington on a daily basis and spent the last few days breaking down practice film. Watson is not an early, but I’m told the expectation is for him to compete for playing time as a true freshman. Watson is 6-foot-1 and nearing 200 pounds. And by the way, he ran a 4.29 hand timed 40 at his high school. The dude was one of the nation’s most underrated recruits last cycle.

— I obviously got to spend some time with Texas running back signee Derrian Brown yesterday. I know y’all want to know if he’ll play football again. Look that’s the goal for Brown, but even if he doesn’t, Texas will honor his scholarship. As far as rehab, Brown is talking and walking under his own power. Brown was upbeat when he saw me and excited to take a few pictures. I think it helped him feel normal. Brown is rehabbing at a specialized clinic five days a week for five hours. He is recovering extremely well.

— I remember the first time I posted a story about Brown. The first comment was something along the lines of ‘this kid isn’t coming here.’ Man, I can tell you that Brown loves the University of Texas. In the little time we spent together, he reiterated that he couldn’t wait to get to Austin. I would lean towards Brown not playing football again, but this dude is a fighter, and he’s already showing that he can do anything he puts his mind to. He loves the game, and he loves Texas.

— During my time in Georgia, I stopped by Grayson (GA) to spend some time with Watson and catch up with 2021 offered targets Phil Mafah and Noah Collins. I actually put in a Crystal Ball pick for Collins to land at LSU, but he told me the next visit he wants to make is ‘for sure to Texas.’ Mafah is intrigued by the Texas program and has been talking a lot to Watson. But I got the sense that he wants to stay closer to home — at least at this point in his process.

— Four-star Atlanta Carver (GA) running back Jo'Quavious Marks told me that Texas would definitely get an official visit, and he’s hoping to make it this spring. This is a very winnable recruitment. If the Longhorns make a strong push, I think they can turn the tide once they get him on campus. Right now, I would give Mississippi State the edge, but again, this recruitment is there for the taking. Marks wants to wait until closer to the season to make a decision.

— While at the Atlanta Pylon 7v7 tournament, I spoke to a North Carolina source close to defensive line offers Myles Murphy and Payton Page. The source said that it would be tough for the Longhorns to pull either prospect. Both are very high on Alabama, and the source mentioned that staying closer to home was important for Page and Murphy. (Holland)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

—Let’s start with Zachary Evans. The five-star running back prospect had every eye focused on him during the camp, and it’s safe to say he was a bit all over the place when it came to interviews. Evans is a really smart kid, and he’s been bombarded with questions at every event he attends. Evans told me he plans to take all of his official visits out-of-state since he’s been to the in-state schools so often. We’ve heard this talk quite a bit from prospects during past cycles, so we will see how things shake out when it comes down to scheduling them.

—In talking with other sources, Texas should still feel good about its chances here. The Longhorns are obviously recruiting him hard, and some credit should go to Corby Meekins who serves as the area recruiter. This is a collective effort by the entire Texas staff, but Evans mentioned Meekins several times throughout the day. It’s also important to remember that the things he says now carry less weight since this recruitment will carry on to the very end. Evans did say he’s dead set on going to school wherever his teammate Damieon George goes.

—One interesting factor in Evans’ recruitment is his interest in meeting strength and conditioning coaches. Evans noted that Texas strength coach Yancy McKnight was the one who stood out to him among the ones he met. As far as offensive line groups go, Evans mentioned Ohio State, Texas and Texas A&M as schools putting together good offensive line groups. Evans said Texas quarterback commit Hudson Card is the one prospect recruiting him the hardest right now, and he sometimes speaks with Logan Parr.

—Speaking of George, he said Texas is in his top group, but the Longhorns are behind several SEC programs. I got the sense from George that he really hasn’t started to zero in on any schools yet, so Texas has time. The Longhorns will need to work to get him back on campus and solidify their spot in his recruitment. Despite listing three SEC schools at the top of his list, George said he didn’t have a conference preference. George simply wants to go to a program that wins and one that can develop him for the NFL. I did speak with another reporter who told me George had Georgia, LSU and Texas as the top three schools that he mentioned when speaking with him, so like Evans, he was a bit all over the place with interviews.

—Another important factor for Evans is going to be Chad Lindberg. Evans is close with the four-star offensive lineman, and Lindberg has been high on Texas since the beginning. Despite that, Lindberg made it clear that his recruitment is more open than is being reported. Texas and Stanford have been the schools mentioned most, but Lindberg also talked at length about Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU and Auburn as schools he has heavy interest in. The Longhorns need to just continue plugging away, and they have a great chance to make another big impression when Lindberg visits Austin for the spring game.

—Let’s go to the 2021 offensive line group. The Katy Taylor duo of Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster are both planning to return to Austin soon for a spring practice. They’ve also got upcoming visits planned to Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Stanford. It’s clear that both players plan on taking their time and doing thorough research. There’s not much to see at this time with either, but if I had to guess I’d say that Foster sounds a little higher on the Longhorns than Conner right now.

— Elite 2021 Bellaire Episcopal offensive lineman Donovan Jackson is also taking his time. Jackson, Foster and Conner are all very smart kids, and they are also close with one another. That said, I don’t’ get the feeling there is any type of package deal going on here. Jackson said that he’s maintaining a very good relationship with Herb Hand, but he wants to see as many of his top programs as possible. Jackson will visit Ohio State for its spring game, and the Buckeyes are a bigger threat than most realize. Jackson’s family is from Ohio, and he is the only Texas-born member. Jackson said his mom actually carries buckeyes in her purse regularly.

—Four-star wide receiver Troy Omeire is nearing a decision. He’s looking at making official visits to Texas A&M, Notre Dame and Texas during the spring, and he mentioned making unofficial visits to LSU, Arkansas and Alabama. Omeire said he’s not leaning anywhere at this moment, but he did say he wanted to make a decision before the end of the current school year. Omeire spent some time with Joseph Ossai and Malcolm Eppson his visit, and he likes how Drew Mehringer teaches the position. This appears to be a two-team race between Texas and A&M, but it’s difficult to get a read on Omeire. He’s somewhat guarded in interviews, and he didn’t say anything to indicate he was leaning one way or the other.

—Here is a quick note on 2022 Atascocita offensive lineman Kam Dewberry. We mentioned him as a prospect that turned heads with his performance during the camp. Dewberry said he’s already had contact with Texas, and he’s planning to visit for the spring game. If an offer comes for him, Texas would be considered a strong favorite based on conversations I had with him and those around him.

— Vernon Broughton is fresh off of a visit from LSU, and it sounds like the Tigers made a good impression on him. He’s still sorting out which spring game he will attend, but he wants to get back to Texas soon. He’s not close to forming a top group yet, but he did acknowledge that the Longhorns have always been near the top of his list. Oscar Giles is putting in overtime on this recruitment, and it sounds like it’s paying off. In speaking with Broughton and sources near him, it sounds like his camp prefers Texas at this point. I was told that the decision will be up to Vernon, but Texas should feel good about its place here.

— Four-star defensive lineman Alfred Collins mentioned Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Alabama and Notre Dame as the schools that stood out to him this spring. Collins did say that he grew up a UT fan and that Texas is “in his blood.” He plans to visit Texas A&M for its spring game, and he would like to get back to Austin for a spring practice. Texas is pitching him as an end. Collins wants to make some spring official visits, and he currently has no timeline set for his decision. Collins has called Texas his leader in the past, but no one should discount the chances for Oklahoma and A&M in this race.

— Princely Umanmielen has an interesting skillset and he’s growing into his frame. He called the recruiting process “fun and stressful”, but he’s trying to keep a clear mind. He has upcoming visits planned to LSU and Oklahoma in the future. Umanmielen said he wants to play in a four-man front, but he did say he’s okay with playing in an odd front if the school is the right fit. OU and LSU are high on his list, and it sounds like Texas A&M is working their way in after offering late. I’d expect Umanmielen to take his visits and delay his decision a bit.

— There isn’t much new to report with Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford. The four-star prospect just returned from an Oregon visit, and he had nice things to say about the experience. I still get the sense that Texas and LSU are the two programs leading the race right now, and Alford plans to make his decision near signing day.

— One last note from the weekend. I caught up with Texas A&M commit Demond Demasfollowing his special performance during The Opening regional. Demas maintained that he’s “100 percent” committed to Texas A&M, but he offered a slight caveat. He said that he has “two percent” each for Alabama, Texas, Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State. When I asked him how the math worked out, Demas said that he keeps it 110 percent. Demas said he plans to get back to Austin next month, and he hears from Drew Mehringer, Tom Herman and Corby Meekins on a daily basis. (Roach)

— The Longhorns hosted a number of spring visitors last week for practices. Tommy Brockermeyer and James Brockermeyer were on campus with their father Blake. I was told the group had a great visit, and they are very familiar with what Texas brings to the table. They ended the week with a visit to Michigan, where James picked up a Wolverine offer. Texas will evaluate James during the spring, but I don’t expect either to shut it down any time soon.

— Texas also hosted the Duncanville trio of Chris Thompson, Ja'Quinden Jackson and Kendrick Blackshire. I’m told the visit went very well for all three, and they got to spend some quality time with the staff and team, and I was told that Thompson in particular bonded closely with some current players. Jackson spent time with Ra'Shaad Samplesand Tim Beck, and Texas made a very good pitch regarding his future with a shot at quarterback. I was also told that Blackshire had a great time watching linebackers, and the Longhorns are making some progress there.

— It is important to note that Beck has been recruiting Jackson as more of a quarterback since before he started talking about it as his position of preference. Beck is perhaps the best recruiter on staff, and Jackson is building a strong relationship with him. Jackson loves how open the Texas staff is about his future and other than LSU, there isn’t another team I think that’s close to UT at this time. I’m told that Card will be the only quarterback take this cycle unless Jackson wants onboard. Obviously, Texas thinks he’s special.

— Five-star cornerback Kelee Ringo made news by spending an entire week on an unofficial visit to Austin. Ringo spent a lot of time with players, including De'Gabriel Floydand Bru McCoy, and sources in Austin conveyed a ton of confidence coming out of the visit. There is still a long way to go in this one, and Ringo intends to take his visits, but last week was huge for Texas in this recruitment.

— To be honest, if Texas doesn’t reel in Ringo, it would be a disappointment. Texas is the only school that has hosted him on multiple occasions, and the fact that he decided to spend the whole week in Austin and wanted to keep it on the down low speaks volumes. I don’t think there is a question that the Longhorns are in the pole position at this time. Ringo loves Jason Washington and Beck and has ties to the program. His mother also seems high on Texas as well. Washington will always be in the picture for Ringo, and Ohio State, Oklahoma and UCLA are making big pushes.

— There have been questions about how hard Texas is recruiting rising cornerback Kitan Crawford. According to sources, Crawford is definitely a take. The Longhorns love his speed, athleticism and versatility. Texas hosted Crawford for the second time this offseason, and I’m told the Longhorns are in the driver’s seat. Arkansas will look to make things interesting as there are some strong East Texas ties on the Razorbacks staff. I’m told Crawford could shut things down before the end of spring. (Holland/Roach)

— Texas cornerback signee Kenyatta Watson II will spend 12 days in Austin for his spring break at the end of the month. Watson actually talks to Jason Washington on a daily basis and spent the last few days breaking down practice film. Watson is not an early, but I’m told the expectation is for him to compete for playing time as a true freshman. Watson is 6-foot-1 and nearing 200 pounds. And by the way, he ran a 4.29 hand timed 40 at his high school. The dude was one of the nation’s most underrated recruits last cycle.

— I obviously got to spend some time with Texas running back signee Derrian Brownyesterday. I know y’all want to know if he’ll play football again. Look that’s the goal for Brown, but even if he doesn’t, Texas will honor his scholarship. As far as rehab, Brown is talking and walking under his own power. Brown was upbeat when he saw me and excited to take a few pictures. I think it helped him feel normal. Brown is rehabbing at a specialized clinic five days a week for five hours. He is recovering extremely well.

— I remember the first time I posted a story about Brown. The first comment was something along the lines of ‘this kid isn’t coming here.’ Man, I can tell you that Brown loves the University of Texas. In the little time we spent together, he reiterated that he couldn’t wait to get to Austin. I would lean towards Brown not playing football again, but this dude is a fighter, and he’s already showing that he can do anything he puts his mind to. He loves the game, and he loves Texas.

— During my time in Georgia, I stopped by Grayson (GA) to spend some time with Watson and catch up with 2021 offered targets Phil Mafah and Noah Collins. I actually put in a Crystal Ball pick for Collins to land at LSU, but he told me the next visit he wants to make is ‘for sure to Texas.’ Mafah is intrigued by the Texas program and has been talking a lot to Watson. But I got the sense that he wants to stay closer to home — at least at this point in his process.

— Four-star Atlanta Carver (GA) running back Jo'Quavious Marks told me that Texas would definitely get an official visit, and he’s hoping to make it this spring. This is a very winnable recruitment. If the Longhorns make a strong push, I think they can turn the tide once they get him on campus. Right now, I would give Mississippi State the edge, but again, this recruitment is there for the taking. Marks wants to wait until closer to the season to make a decision.

— While at the Atlanta Pylon 7v7 tournament, I spoke to a North Carolina source close to defensive line offers Myles Murphy and Payton Page. The source said that it would be tough for the Longhorns to pull either prospect. Both are very high on Alabama, and the source mentioned that staying closer to home was important for Page and Murphy. (Holland)

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

here you go 

Reveal hidden contents

—Let’s start with Zachary Evans. The five-star running back prospect had every eye focused on him during the camp, and it’s safe to say he was a bit all over the place when it came to interviews. Evans is a really smart kid, and he’s been bombarded with questions at every event he attends. Evans told me he plans to take all of his official visits out-of-state since he’s been to the in-state schools so often. We’ve heard this talk quite a bit from prospects during past cycles, so we will see how things shake out when it comes down to scheduling them.

—In talking with other sources, Texas should still feel good about its chances here. The Longhorns are obviously recruiting him hard, and some credit should go to Corby Meekins who serves as the area recruiter. This is a collective effort by the entire Texas staff, but Evans mentioned Meekins several times throughout the day. It’s also important to remember that the things he says now carry less weight since this recruitment will carry on to the very end. Evans did say he’s dead set on going to school wherever his teammate Damieon George goes.

—One interesting factor in Evans’ recruitment is his interest in meeting strength and conditioning coaches. Evans noted that Texas strength coach Yancy McKnight was the one who stood out to him among the ones he met. As far as offensive line groups go, Evans mentioned Ohio State, Texas and Texas A&M as schools putting together good offensive line groups. Evans said Texas quarterback commit Hudson Card is the one prospect recruiting him the hardest right now, and he sometimes speaks with Logan Parr.

—Another important factor for Evans is going to be Chad Lindberg. Evans is close with the four-star offensive lineman, and Lindberg has been high on Texas since the beginning. Despite that, Lindberg made it clear that his recruitment is more open than is being reported. Texas and Stanford have been the schools mentioned most, but Lindberg also talked at length about Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU and Auburn as schools he has heavy interest in. The Longhorns need to just continue plugging away, and they have a great chance to make another big impression when Lindberg visits Austin for the spring game.

—Let’s go to the 2021 offensive line group. The Katy Taylor duo of Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster are both planning to return to Austin soon for a spring practice. They’ve also got upcoming visits planned to Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Stanford. It’s clear that both players plan on taking their time and doing thorough research. There’s not much to see at this time with either, but if I had to guess I’d say that Foster sounds a little higher on the Longhorns than Conner right now.

— Elite 2021 Bellaire Episcopal offensive lineman Donovan Jackson is also taking his time. Jackson, Foster and Conner are all very smart kids, and they are also close with one another. That said, I don’t’ get the feeling there is any type of package deal going on here. Jackson said that he’s maintaining a very good relationship with Herb Hand, but he wants to see as many of his top programs as possible. Jackson will visit Ohio State for its spring game, and the Buckeyes are a bigger threat than most realize. Jackson’s family is from Ohio, and he is the only Texas-born member. Jackson said his mom actually carries buckeyes in her purse regularly.

—Four-star wide receiver Troy Omeire is nearing a decision. He’s looking at making official visits to Texas A&M, Notre Dame and Texas during the spring, and he mentioned making unofficial visits to LSU, Arkansas and Alabama. Omeire said he’s not leaning anywhere at this moment, but he did say he wanted to make a decision before the end of the current school year. Omeire spent some time with Joseph Ossai and Malcolm Epps on his visit, and he likes how Drew Mehringer teaches the position. This appears to be a two-team race between Texas and A&M, but it’s difficult to get a read on Omeire. He’s somewhat guarded in interviews, and he didn’t say anything to indicate he was leaning one way or the other.

—Here is a quick note on 2022 Atascocita offensive lineman Kam Dewberry. We mentioned him as a prospect that turned heads with his performance during the camp. Dewberry said he’s already had contact with Texas, and he’s planning to visit for the spring game. If an offer comes for him, Texas would be considered a strong favorite based on conversations I had with him and those around him.

— Vernon Broughton is fresh off of a visit from LSU, and it sounds like the Tigers made a good impression on him. He’s still sorting out which spring game he will attend, but he wants to get back to Texas soon. He’s not close to forming a top group yet, but he did acknowledge that the Longhorns have always been near the top of his list. Oscar Giles is putting in overtime on this recruitment, and it sounds like it’s paying off. In speaking with Broughton and sources near him, it sounds like his camp prefers Texas at this point. I was told that the decision will be up to Vernon, but Texas should feel good about its place here.

— Four-star defensive lineman Alfred Collins mentioned Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Alabama and Notre Dame as the schools that stood out to him this spring. Collins did say that he grew up a UT fan and that Texas is “in his blood.” He plans to visit Texas A&M for its spring game, and he would like to get back to Austin for a spring practice. Texas is pitching him as an end. Collins wants to make some spring official visits, and he currently has no timeline set for his decision. Collins has called Texas his leader in the past, but no one should discount the chances for Oklahoma and A&M in this race.

— Princely Umanmielen has an interesting skillset and he’s growing into his frame. He called the recruiting process “fun and stressful”, but he’s trying to keep a clear mind. He has upcoming visits planned to LSU and Oklahoma in the future. Umanmielen said he wants to play in a four-man front, but he did say he’s okay with playing in an odd front if the school is the right fit. OU and LSU are high on his list, and it sounds like Texas A&M is working their way in after offering late. I’d expect Umanmielen to take his visits and delay his decision a bit.

— There isn’t much new to report with Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford. The four-star prospect just returned from an Oregon visit, and he had nice things to say about the experience. I still get the sense that Texas and LSU are the two programs leading the race right now, and Alford plans to make his decision near signing day.

— One last note from the weekend. I caught up with Texas A&M commit Demond Demas following his special performance during The Opening regional. Demas maintained that he’s “100 percent” committed to Texas A&M, but he offered a slight caveat. He said that he has “two percent” each for Alabama, Texas, Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State. When I asked him how the math worked out, Demas said that he keeps it 110 percent. Demas said he plans to get back to Austin next month, and he hears from Drew Mehringer, Tom Herman and Corby Meekins on a daily basis. (Roach)

— The Longhorns hosted a number of spring visitors last week for practices. Tommy Brockermeyer and James Brockermeyer were on campus with their father Blake. I was told the group had a great visit, and they are very familiar with what Texas brings to the table. They ended the week with a visit to Michigan, where James picked up a Wolverine offer. Texas will evaluate James during the spring, but I don’t expect either to shut it down any time soon.

— Texas also hosted the Duncanville trio of Chris Thompson, Ja'Quinden Jackson and Kendrick Blackshire. I’m told the visit went very well for all three, and they got to spend some quality time with the staff and team, and I was told that Thompson in particular bonded closely with some current players. Jackson spent time with Ra'Shaad Samples and Tim Beck, and Texas made a very good pitch regarding his future with a shot at quarterback. I was also told that Blackshire had a great time watching linebackers, and the Longhorns are making some progress there.

— Five-star cornerback Kelee Ringo made news by spending an entire week on an unofficial visit to Austin. Ringo spent a lot of time with players, including De'Gabriel Floyd and Bru McCoy, and sources in Austin conveyed a ton of confidence coming out of the visit. There is still a long way to go in this one, and Ringo intends to take his visits, but last week was huge for Texas in this recruitment.

— To be honest, if Texas doesn’t reel in Ringo, it would be a disappointment. Texas is the only school that has hosted him on multiple occasions, and the fact that he decided to spend the whole week in Austin and wanted to keep it on the down low speaks volumes. I don’t think there is a question that the Longhorns are in the pole position at this time. Ringo loves Jason Washington and Beck and has ties to the program. His mother also seems high on Texas as well. Washington will always be in the picture for Ringo, and Ohio State, Oklahoma and UCLA are making big pushes.

— There have been questions about how hard Texas is recruiting rising cornerback Kitan Crawford. According to sources, Crawford is definitely a take. The Longhorns love his speed, athleticism and versatility. Texas hosted Crawford for the second time this offseason, and I’m told the Longhorns are in the driver’s seat. Arkansas will look to make things interesting as there are some strong East Texas ties on the Razorbacks staff. I’m told Crawford could shut things down before the end of spring. (Holland/Roach)

— Texas cornerback signee Kenyatta Watson II will spend 12 days in Austin for his spring break at the end of the month. Watson actually talks to Jason Washington on a daily basis and spent the last few days breaking down practice film. Watson is not an early, but I’m told the expectation is for him to compete for playing time as a true freshman. Watson is 6-foot-1 and nearing 200 pounds. And by the way, he ran a 4.29 hand timed 40 at his high school. The dude was one of the nation’s most underrated recruits last cycle.

— I obviously got to spend some time with Texas running back signee Derrian Brown yesterday. I know y’all want to know if he’ll play football again. Look that’s the goal for Brown, but even if he doesn’t, Texas will honor his scholarship. As far as rehab, Brown is talking and walking under his own power. Brown was upbeat when he saw me and excited to take a few pictures. I think it helped him feel normal. Brown is rehabbing at a specialized clinic five days a week for five hours. He is recovering extremely well.

— During my time in Georgia, I stopped by Grayson (GA) to spend some time with Watson and catch up with 2021 offered targets Phil Mafah and Noah Collins. I actually put in a Crystal Ball pick for Collins to land at LSU, but he told me the next visit he wants to make is ‘for sure to Texas.’ Mafah is intrigued by the Texas program and has been talking a lot to Watson. But I got the sense that he wants to stay closer to home — at least at this point in his process.

— Four-star Atlanta Carver (GA) running back Jo'Quavious Marks told me that Texas would definitely get an official visit, and he’s hoping to make it this spring. This is a very winnable recruitment. If the Longhorns make a strong push, I think they can turn the tide once they get him on campus. Right now, I would give Mississippi State the edge, but again, this recruitment is there for the taking. Marks wants to wait until closer to the season to make a decision.

— While at the Atlanta Pylon 7v7 tournament, I spoke to a North Carolina source close to defensive line offers Myles Murphy and Payton Page. The source said that it would be tough for the Longhorns to pull either prospect. Both are very high on Alabama, and the source mentioned that staying closer to home was important for Page and Murphy. (Holland)

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:
  Reveal hidden contents

—Let’s start with Zachary Evans. The five-star running back prospect had every eye focused on him during the camp, and it’s safe to say he was a bit all over the place when it came to interviews. Evans is a really smart kid, and he’s been bombarded with questions at every event he attends. Evans told me he plans to take all of his official visits out-of-state since he’s been to the in-state schools so often. We’ve heard this talk quite a bit from prospects during past cycles, so we will see how things shake out when it comes down to scheduling them.

—In talking with other sources, Texas should still feel good about its chances here. The Longhorns are obviously recruiting him hard, and some credit should go to Corby Meekins who serves as the area recruiter. This is a collective effort by the entire Texas staff, but Evans mentioned Meekins several times throughout the day. It’s also important to remember that the things he says now carry less weight since this recruitment will carry on to the very end. Evans did say he’s dead set on going to school wherever his teammate Damieon George goes.

—One interesting factor in Evans’ recruitment is his interest in meeting strength and conditioning coaches. Evans noted that Texas strength coach Yancy McKnight was the one who stood out to him among the ones he met. As far as offensive line groups go, Evans mentioned Ohio State, Texas and Texas A&M as schools putting together good offensive line groups. Evans said Texas quarterback commit Hudson Card is the one prospect recruiting him the hardest right now, and he sometimes speaks with Logan Parr.

—Another important factor for Evans is going to be Chad Lindberg. Evans is close with the four-star offensive lineman, and Lindberg has been high on Texas since the beginning. Despite that, Lindberg made it clear that his recruitment is more open than is being reported. Texas and Stanford have been the schools mentioned most, but Lindberg also talked at length about Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU and Auburn as schools he has heavy interest in. The Longhorns need to just continue plugging away, and they have a great chance to make another big impression when Lindberg visits Austin for the spring game.

—Let’s go to the 2021 offensive line group. The Katy Taylor duo of Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster are both planning to return to Austin soon for a spring practice. They’ve also got upcoming visits planned to Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Stanford. It’s clear that both players plan on taking their time and doing thorough research. There’s not much to see at this time with either, but if I had to guess I’d say that Foster sounds a little higher on the Longhorns than Conner right now.

— Elite 2021 Bellaire Episcopal offensive lineman Donovan Jackson is also taking his time. Jackson, Foster and Conner are all very smart kids, and they are also close with one another. That said, I don’t’ get the feeling there is any type of package deal going on here. Jackson said that he’s maintaining a very good relationship with Herb Hand, but he wants to see as many of his top programs as possible. Jackson will visit Ohio State for its spring game, and the Buckeyes are a bigger threat than most realize. Jackson’s family is from Ohio, and he is the only Texas-born member. Jackson said his mom actually carries buckeyes in her purse regularly.

—Four-star wide receiver Troy Omeire is nearing a decision. He’s looking at making official visits to Texas A&M, Notre Dame and Texas during the spring, and he mentioned making unofficial visits to LSU, Arkansas and Alabama. Omeire said he’s not leaning anywhere at this moment, but he did say he wanted to make a decision before the end of the current school year. Omeire spent some time with Joseph Ossai and Malcolm Eppson his visit, and he likes how Drew Mehringer teaches the position. This appears to be a two-team race between Texas and A&M, but it’s difficult to get a read on Omeire. He’s somewhat guarded in interviews, and he didn’t say anything to indicate he was leaning one way or the other.

—Here is a quick note on 2022 Atascocita offensive lineman Kam Dewberry. We mentioned him as a prospect that turned heads with his performance during the camp. Dewberry said he’s already had contact with Texas, and he’s planning to visit for the spring game. If an offer comes for him, Texas would be considered a strong favorite based on conversations I had with him and those around him.

— Vernon Broughton is fresh off of a visit from LSU, and it sounds like the Tigers made a good impression on him. He’s still sorting out which spring game he will attend, but he wants to get back to Texas soon. He’s not close to forming a top group yet, but he did acknowledge that the Longhorns have always been near the top of his list. Oscar Giles is putting in overtime on this recruitment, and it sounds like it’s paying off. In speaking with Broughton and sources near him, it sounds like his camp prefers Texas at this point. I was told that the decision will be up to Vernon, but Texas should feel good about its place here.

— Four-star defensive lineman Alfred Collins mentioned Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Alabama and Notre Dame as the schools that stood out to him this spring. Collins did say that he grew up a UT fan and that Texas is “in his blood.” He plans to visit Texas A&M for its spring game, and he would like to get back to Austin for a spring practice. Texas is pitching him as an end. Collins wants to make some spring official visits, and he currently has no timeline set for his decision. Collins has called Texas his leader in the past, but no one should discount the chances for Oklahoma and A&M in this race.

— Princely Umanmielen has an interesting skillset and he’s growing into his frame. He called the recruiting process “fun and stressful”, but he’s trying to keep a clear mind. He has upcoming visits planned to LSU and Oklahoma in the future. Umanmielen said he wants to play in a four-man front, but he did say he’s okay with playing in an odd front if the school is the right fit. OU and LSU are high on his list, and it sounds like Texas A&M is working their way in after offering late. I’d expect Umanmielen to take his visits and delay his decision a bit.

— There isn’t much new to report with Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford. The four-star prospect just returned from an Oregon visit, and he had nice things to say about the experience. I still get the sense that Texas and LSU are the two programs leading the race right now, and Alford plans to make his decision near signing day.

— One last note from the weekend. I caught up with Texas A&M commit Demond Demasfollowing his special performance during The Opening regional. Demas maintained that he’s “100 percent” committed to Texas A&M, but he offered a slight caveat. He said that he has “two percent” each for Alabama, Texas, Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State. When I asked him how the math worked out, Demas said that he keeps it 110 percent. Demas said he plans to get back to Austin next month, and he hears from Drew Mehringer, Tom Herman and Corby Meekins on a daily basis. (Roach)

— The Longhorns hosted a number of spring visitors last week for practices. Tommy Brockermeyer and James Brockermeyer were on campus with their father Blake. I was told the group had a great visit, and they are very familiar with what Texas brings to the table. They ended the week with a visit to Michigan, where James picked up a Wolverine offer. Texas will evaluate James during the spring, but I don’t expect either to shut it down any time soon.

— Texas also hosted the Duncanville trio of Chris Thompson, Ja'Quinden Jackson and Kendrick Blackshire. I’m told the visit went very well for all three, and they got to spend some quality time with the staff and team, and I was told that Thompson in particular bonded closely with some current players. Jackson spent time with Ra'Shaad Samplesand Tim Beck, and Texas made a very good pitch regarding his future with a shot at quarterback. I was also told that Blackshire had a great time watching linebackers, and the Longhorns are making some progress there.

— Five-star cornerback Kelee Ringo made news by spending an entire week on an unofficial visit to Austin. Ringo spent a lot of time with players, including De'Gabriel Floydand Bru McCoy, and sources in Austin conveyed a ton of confidence coming out of the visit. There is still a long way to go in this one, and Ringo intends to take his visits, but last week was huge for Texas in this recruitment.

— To be honest, if Texas doesn’t reel in Ringo, it would be a disappointment. Texas is the only school that has hosted him on multiple occasions, and the fact that he decided to spend the whole week in Austin and wanted to keep it on the down low speaks volumes. I don’t think there is a question that the Longhorns are in the pole position at this time. Ringo loves Jason Washington and Beck and has ties to the program. His mother also seems high on Texas as well. Washington will always be in the picture for Ringo, and Ohio State, Oklahoma and UCLA are making big pushes.

— There have been questions about how hard Texas is recruiting rising cornerback Kitan Crawford. According to sources, Crawford is definitely a take. The Longhorns love his speed, athleticism and versatility. Texas hosted Crawford for the second time this offseason, and I’m told the Longhorns are in the driver’s seat. Arkansas will look to make things interesting as there are some strong East Texas ties on the Razorbacks staff. I’m told Crawford could shut things down before the end of spring. (Holland/Roach)

— Texas cornerback signee Kenyatta Watson II will spend 12 days in Austin for his spring break at the end of the month. Watson actually talks to Jason Washington on a daily basis and spent the last few days breaking down practice film. Watson is not an early, but I’m told the expectation is for him to compete for playing time as a true freshman. Watson is 6-foot-1 and nearing 200 pounds. And by the way, he ran a 4.29 hand timed 40 at his high school. The dude was one of the nation’s most underrated recruits last cycle.

— I obviously got to spend some time with Texas running back signee Derrian Brownyesterday. I know y’all want to know if he’ll play football again. Look that’s the goal for Brown, but even if he doesn’t, Texas will honor his scholarship. As far as rehab, Brown is talking and walking under his own power. Brown was upbeat when he saw me and excited to take a few pictures. I think it helped him feel normal. Brown is rehabbing at a specialized clinic five days a week for five hours. He is recovering extremely well.

— During my time in Georgia, I stopped by Grayson (GA) to spend some time with Watson and catch up with 2021 offered targets Phil Mafah and Noah Collins. I actually put in a Crystal Ball pick for Collins to land at LSU, but he told me the next visit he wants to make is ‘for sure to Texas.’ Mafah is intrigued by the Texas program and has been talking a lot to Watson. But I got the sense that he wants to stay closer to home — at least at this point in his process.

— Four-star Atlanta Carver (GA) running back Jo'Quavious Marks told me that Texas would definitely get an official visit, and he’s hoping to make it this spring. This is a very winnable recruitment. If the Longhorns make a strong push, I think they can turn the tide once they get him on campus. Right now, I would give Mississippi State the edge, but again, this recruitment is there for the taking. Marks wants to wait until closer to the season to make a decision.

— While at the Atlanta Pylon 7v7 tournament, I spoke to a North Carolina source close to defensive line offers Myles Murphy and Payton Page. The source said that it would be tough for the Longhorns to pull either prospect. Both are very high on Alabama, and the source mentioned that staying closer to home was important for Page and Murphy. (Holland)

Thank you.

— Four-star defensive lineman Alfred Collins mentioned Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Alabama and Notre Dame as the schools that stood out to him this spring. Collins did say that he grew up a UT fan and that Texas is “in hisblood.”

...the kiss of death. Cross him off the list.

Unpossible.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, golfclap said:

here you go 

Reveal hidden contents

Usually I don’t really see much of an impact from wins/losses in a recruit’s senior year, but the LSU game seems like it’ll be a big factor in the Evans/George recruitment. They both seem to care about current results more so than usual and they’ve both been getting the SEC pitch hard for almost two years now. If we beat Georgia and LSU in a 9 month span, that will really undercut the sales pitch of almost every team were competing with for them.  Bama and LSU will still be tough to beat, but I think that would give us a leg up on the rest of the competition.

30 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Unpossible.  

Love to know what is considered "overtime"? Likely being graded on the Giles curve.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I was just waiting for the "he doesn't deserve credit for that one".  That's what seems to be the "Giles curve".  Externalize all successes and internalize all failures.  

Sadly I am more concerned with Drayton & Warehime representing and delivering success on the trail. Outside of Leal, Giles has been credited for some talent coming here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Sadly I am more concerned with Drayton & Warehime representing and delivering success on the trail. Outside of Leal, Giles has been credited for some talent coming here.

Warehime's position group was one of the best TE hauls in the country (though Beck helped a lot with Liebrock).

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/03/open-post-tuesday-march-19th/

Recruits on Campus
– Will Baizer

As we stated in the Spring Practice thread on the Donor Board, 2020 CB Kitan Crawford, 2020 FS Chris Thompson, 2020 CB Kelee Ringo, 2021 OC James Brockermeyer, and 2021 OT Tommy Brockermeyer attended the practice last week.

There were more visitors on campus this past weekend.

2020 QB Ja’Quiden Jackson

2021 LB Kendrick Blackshire

2020 RB Jaden Hullaby

The Latest | 2020 CB Kitan Crawford
– Super K

Talent and Background

By now I’m sure many of you are familiar with 2020 CB, Kitan Crawford (Tyler). He’s a prospect who Darius, Will and I were able to see live at the UA camp in Dallas. We all came away impressed.

I hadn’t even seen Kitan’s high school film at that point. But watching his ability to mirror receivers, his eye discipline, his controlled physicality and just how all around smooth he was in and out of transitions coupled with obvious speed, size and strength really intrigued me.

I went home and watched his film. I came away thinking, this is one of the best defensive backs in the state and would at least have an argument for that top spot. He’s that good in my mind.

Crawford is a 100m and 200m sprinter, as well. Track runs in his family. He tells me his aunt ran track for Baylor. Crawford also says he has some familial relations to former Texas Tech quarterback and current NFL quarterback, Pat Mahomes.

I’d say that’s pretty good pedigree.

As you can see on film, Crawford is a two-way player. He’s a talented running back and defensive back. Like most athletic kids, when he starting playing ball in little league, he was a running back. And despite his apparent comfort with the defensive back position, Crawford only recently transitioned to that position.

“I started playing DB my junior year. So, last year was my first year playing DB. The coaches, they saw something in me and tried to put me on defense and it ended up working”.

When we saw Crawford at the UA camp, his technique did not look that of a person who has been playing for such a short period of time. He appeared advanced in his recognition and technique. He credits his high school coaches at John Tyler for spending the time to get him up to speed.

“My coaching came from my high school coach, coach Moore… every day we stay after school working on my skills, my eyes, working on everything to get me right. So, it mainly came from my coach, coach Moore”.

Recruiting

Crawford’s recruitment really started fairly recently. On a junior day visit to Waco, Baylor became his first P5 offer. Shortly thereafter he attended a Texas junior day and came away with an offer from Herman and company.

Crawford says that coach Washington came by the school a couple of weeks before the offer to see Kitan and gave him an indication at that time that Texas was very interested.

Since that offer, Crawford has now visited Texas twice with the most recent visit being just this past Friday.

Crawford says that Texas, Baylor, and Arkansas are among the schools currently recruiting him the hardest. Despite all the defensive back talent in the state and around the country this year, Texas seems to have made Kitan a priority.

As mentioned above, Crawford took a return visit to Texas just this past Friday.

“I went down there to watch a practice. It was nice. I met the head coach and talked to the head coach and got to really see how things are right now and how they are building the program. For me seeing that process was a highlight”.

And Texas would love to have Crawford in the boat soon, if possible.

“They let me know that they offered seven DBs and he’s only taking two so they would want me to commit towards the spring or by the beginning of my senior year. He was just suggesting that”.

Right now, Crawford says he’d like to be done with his recruitment going into his senior season. He doesn’t have a date set for an announcement so I imagine one could come anytime between now and late summer.

Because Kitan’s recruitment started a bit later, he’s still fielding offers. Schools like FSU, Kansas, Oklahoma, and others are in touch with him but offers have not been made just yet.

It sounds like Crawford would like to get his offer list settled and then begin to narrow things down but it’s clear the Longhorns and Baylor will remain in this fight till the end.

And make no mistake, even though Crawford isn’t from one of the big TX metro areas, he’s as talented as anyone and worth fighting for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

Beck might be our best recruiter, he's a monster. Wiley for some reason was ignored by Fatterson and we had Shipley-Herman-TQ working him. 

BC is our best recruiter by far, but if we're talking strictly coaches then it's hard to argue against Beck. 

3 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

BC is our best recruiter by far, but if we're talking strictly coaches then it's hard to argue against Beck. 

Beck, Washington, Carrington, and Herman are the best recruiters, in no particular order 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/03/open-post-tuesday-march-19th/

Hide contents

Recruits on Campus
– Will Baizer

As we stated in the Spring Practice thread on the Donor Board, 2020 CB Kitan Crawford, 2020 FS Chris Thompson, 2020 CB Kelee Ringo, 2021 OC James Brockermeyer, and 2021 OT Tommy Brockermeyer attended the practice last week.

There were more visitors on campus this past weekend.

2020 QB Ja’Quiden Jackson

2021 LB Kendrick Blackshire

2020 RB Jaden Hullaby

The Latest | 2020 CB Kitan Crawford
– Super K

Talent and Background

By now I’m sure many of you are familiar with 2020 CB, Kitan Crawford (Tyler). He’s a prospect who Darius, Will and I were able to see live at the UA camp in Dallas. We all came away impressed.

I hadn’t even seen Kitan’s high school film at that point. But watching his ability to mirror receivers, his eye discipline, his controlled physicality and just how all around smooth he was in and out of transitions coupled with obvious speed, size and strength really intrigued me.

I went home and watched his film. I came away thinking, this is one of the best defensive backs in the state and would at least have an argument for that top spot. He’s that good in my mind.

Crawford is a 100m and 200m sprinter, as well. Track runs in his family. He tells me his aunt ran track for Baylor. Crawford also says he has some familial relations to former Texas Tech quarterback and current NFL quarterback, Pat Mahomes.

I’d say that’s pretty good pedigree.

As you can see on film, Crawford is a two-way player. He’s a talented running back and defensive back. Like most athletic kids, when he starting playing ball in little league, he was a running back. And despite his apparent comfort with the defensive back position, Crawford only recently transitioned to that position.

“I started playing DB my junior year. So, last year was my first year playing DB. The coaches, they saw something in me and tried to put me on defense and it ended up working”.

When we saw Crawford at the UA camp, his technique did not look that of a person who has been playing for such a short period of time. He appeared advanced in his recognition and technique. He credits his high school coaches at John Tyler for spending the time to get him up to speed.

“My coaching came from my high school coach, coach Moore… every day we stay after school working on my skills, my eyes, working on everything to get me right. So, it mainly came from my coach, coach Moore”.

Recruiting

Crawford’s recruitment really started fairly recently. On a junior day visit to Waco, Baylor became his first P5 offer. Shortly thereafter he attended a Texas junior day and came away with an offer from Herman and company.

Crawford says that coach Washington came by the school a couple of weeks before the offer to see Kitan and gave him an indication at that time that Texas was very interested.

Since that offer, Crawford has now visited Texas twice with the most recent visit being just this past Friday.

Crawford says that Texas, Baylor, and Arkansas are among the schools currently recruiting him the hardest. Despite all the defensive back talent in the state and around the country this year, Texas seems to have made Kitan a priority.

As mentioned above, Crawford took a return visit to Texas just this past Friday.

“I went down there to watch a practice. It was nice. I met the head coach and talked to the head coach and got to really see how things are right now and how they are building the program. For me seeing that process was a highlight”.

And Texas would love to have Crawford in the boat soon, if possible.

“They let me know that they offered seven DBs and he’s only taking two so they would want me to commit towards the spring or by the beginning of my senior year. He was just suggesting that”.

Right now, Crawford says he’d like to be done with his recruitment going into his senior season. He doesn’t have a date set for an announcement so I imagine one could come anytime between now and late summer.

Because Kitan’s recruitment started a bit later, he’s still fielding offers. Schools like FSU, Kansas, Oklahoma, and others are in touch with him but offers have not been made just yet.

It sounds like Crawford would like to get his offer list settled and then begin to narrow things down but it’s clear the Longhorns and Baylor will remain in this fight till the end.

And make no mistake, even though Crawford isn’t from one of the big TX metro areas, he’s as talented as anyone and worth fighting for.

I could see Crawford being a guy who can handle coverage and run responsibilities at the nickel position. I’d probably take him over Alford there, but I doubt the staff views them as an either/or because Alford could be a pure safety and Crawford a pure corner.

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I could see Crawford being a guy who can handle coverage and run responsibilities at the nickel position. I’d probably take him over Alford there, but I doubt the staff views them as an either/or because Alford could be a pure safety and Crawford a pure corner.

Agreed. 

I think Crawford and Kimber are super interesting because of the dichotomy they represent and the fact that both seemed to answer what would have been the biggest question marks about them in the past few weeks. 

Crawford is clearly very raw from a technique standpoint but is incredibly athletic with quick change of direction and is clearly fast AF and it shows on film. He gives you a lot of flexibility because he clearly has the mindset/aggressiveness to play press man and the athleticism to play on an island in off-man as well as physicality to play Nickel. He answered the biggest question about him by measuring in at 6'. 

Kimber has already got really good technique and can play man or zone and has the size to play CB and/or NB. He maintains good leverage/position/technique and plays the WR as well as the ball. At times on his HUDL he doesn't look incredibly sudden which led to the overall surprise at his performance at the Opening where he clearly answered the biggest question about his possible ceiling/upside by showing out with incredible athleticism.  SPARQ score of 125.85 - featuring a 4.43 40-yard dash, 4.00 shuttle, and a 40.8 inch vertical.

I'm not sure how the numbers will play out at CB vs. S at all. I don't know how you'd not take both of these guys but at some point this 2020 DB class will start to take shape and there are going to be 2-3 guys that are gonna be left. Fattersonintensifies. 

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I'm not sure how the numbers will play out at CB vs. S at all. I don't know how you'd not take both of these guys but at some point this 2020 DB class will start to take shape and there are going to be 2-3 guys that are gonna be left. Fattersonintensifies. 

Crawford's quote about "only taking two guys" (I'm assuming corners) was interesting. Numbers are always fluid, but I would have assumed they'd just tell him that Ringo has a spot, and then he and Kimber also have spots, but maybe they're just taking one of Kimber/Crawford?

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Crawford's quote about "only taking two guys" (I'm assuming corners) was interesting. Numbers are always fluid, but I would have assumed they'd just tell him that Ringo has a spot, and then he and Kimber also have spots, but maybe they're just taking one of Kimber/Crawford?

Assuming Rogers/Watts both end up at OU, it also makes me wonder what that quote means for Eaton? is it just one of Kimber/Crawford/Eaton? Or is it Ringo +2? Is Eaton lower on the pecking order than Crawford and/or Kimber? It feels like Crawford is the top in-state target with the spring break visit w/ Ringo the other top end guys. It feels like the dominoes could go pretty fast at CB in state once they begin to fall. 

2 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I didn't notice Coburn in the 2 deep.

Is he hurt?

Freshman defensive lineman Keondre Coburn was held out of practice Monday after he has been suffering some kidney issues, which first popped up seven months ago.

“(Coburn is) dealing with some kidney issues that we’re still waiting on some of those results to get him cleared,” Herman said Monday. “It’s his second one where he has had (irregular) levels and was having pain in his back. To have it happen a second time in seven months is obviously a pretty big red flag.

“The prognosis is good. Obviously, he played for us last season, but it is concerning to see these two episodes in a span of seven months.

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Freshman defensive lineman Keondre Coburn was held out of practice Monday after he has been suffering some kidney issues, which first popped up seven months ago.

“(Coburn is) dealing with some kidney issues that we’re still waiting on some of those results to get him cleared,” Herman said Monday. “It’s his second one where he has had (irregular) levels and was having pain in his back. To have it happen a second time in seven months is obviously a pretty big red flag.

“The prognosis is good. Obviously, he played for us last season, but it is concerning to see these two episodes in a span of seven months.

Thanks.

Something to watch.

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Assuming Rogers/Watts both end up at OU, it also makes me wonder what that quote means for Eaton? is it just one of Kimber/Crawford/Eaton? Or is it Ringo +2? Is Eaton lower on the pecking order than Crawford and/or Kimber? It feels like Crawford is the top in-state target with the spring break visit w/ Ringo the other top end guys. It feels like the dominoes could go pretty fast at CB in state once they begin to fall. 

They supposedly have some concerns about Eaton regarding inconsistent play and wanted to evaluate him further, and supposedly they really like Crawford. I think it's Ringo, then Kimber and Crawford are 2a/2b, and then others like Eaton, Rogers, Watts, etc, but that's just me putting it all together

The smart thing to do is kick the cans down the road for as long as possible if guys aren't separating themselves from the pack so you can get more data, but Kimber and Crawford might be doing just that, and maybe Watts/Rogers leaning OU makes their decision easier?

I think Kimber most likely ends up at Bama anyway, so it could just be Ringo and Crawford, which would still be great. 

Omeire Top 3 update from Aggy247 ::

National top-100 WR Omeire has top 3 as decision comes close

KATY, Texas - Fort Bend Austin four-star wide receiver Troy Omeire caused all kinds of speculation recently when he tweeted that a decision was coming soon. The 6-foot-3.5, 217-pound junior has seemingly been close to committing a couple times to different schools but had never actually hinted at a date before. However, though a commitment is not incredibly far off in the future, it is not likely as immediate as many fans of their respectively schools are hoping.

"That's like the end of school," the nation's No. 72 overall prospect said of a commitment by the end of May or so. "I meant to say that I'm taking my OVs soon. I'm taking three - Texas, A&M and I want to go to Notre Dame. "Those are my top three."

Omeire has regularly mentioned Texas A&M and Texas in the past and has admitted that the two schools have each been his leaders at separate times.

"I like the way that they use the big guys over there," he said when asked about Texas. "They showed me the stats that the big players have, compared to A&M. It's whatever, though. I like A&M too because of the offense and how it's pro-style."

Notre Dame is somewhat of a new addition to Omeire's list of top schools, though.

"Notre Dame, I've never been up there," he said. "But, it's a good school with academics. I know that football is not going to last forever. So, it's all about my books too. And then the NFL will come when it does."

As for when his official visits will take place, Omeire is not quite sure at this point. He also may see a few other campuses in an unofficial capacity as well. "I don't know when they're going to be but they'll be in the spring," he said. "My mom and I might stop by some other schools too. She wants to stop by LSU, Arkansas and Alabama." As for if he is leaning toward one of the schools in his mind, Omeire says that is not the case.

"No sir, not right now," he said.

As a junior, the big wide receiver caught 46 passes for 804 yards and 13 touchdowns.