Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I think with Washington, he's already a very good recruiter and spreading him thin to help with DL targets might dilute some of that effectiveness. "Don't fix what isn't broken", or something to that effect. If you have a recruiter as good as Washington, it's best to leave him to his own devices.

Drayton is obviously an entirely different story. I don't know how much added effectiveness he'd bring to our DL recruiting, but if it's a nonzero quantity it certainly could be worth it.

Nah. Washington only has to coach and recruit CBS, which is less than most position coaches. He can add a primary DL target like Collins without a problem. Same for Drayton and Meekins/Wareheim. All these guys have position coach jobs that are either split up or lend to recruiting guys at other positions. 

My point is this is on Herman and how he has allocated his position coaches and managed recruiting moreso than anyone else. He chose to go with less defensive coaches and chose to prioritize coaching over recruiting at DC and DL (neither of which is a bad idea in a vacuum), but he needs to make up for the weaknesses he has created on his staff. 

The again, based on your logic, none of that is on Herman because he’s an offensive coach.

Edited by Burt Macklin

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I wonder if you’d be saying this if we inked top 3 classes back to back but had garbage or zero QB takes? Its a lazy, stupid comment/defense on its own. Its head scratching idiocy when you attempt to apply it to specific positional recruiting. 

Also, for all of those saying “everyone knows Giles sucks” I present you this fucking kind of dismissive shit. Ill stop ranting on Giles when he stops forgetting to do his fucking job. 

Maybe you need to take a breather from recruiting for a minute.  Just sayin.  It's going to be OK I promise.

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

So on a recruiting board you do not want to discuss the development of key recruits and our position coach’s involvement anymore because it bothers you? 

I think all of that stuff is pretty germane to this thread topic. 

Godfuckingdamn. It's not that it bothers me it's that it's the EXACT same conversation that has been had since time-out-of-time. If the discussion is solely "Oscar Giles sucks at recruiting" what exactly is there to discuss? 

The Giles discussion is basically the "Greg Davis sucks" discussion. Greg Davis sucks? No shit. The problem is that every fucking time some DL recruit is interviewed we get a fucking 2-3 page rambling "ZOMG Giles sucks stream". It's like every single tunnel screen or 5 yard out on 3rd and 9 but instead of instead of simply 5 minutes during a game thread, it leads to day long circular conversation that we've had. Ad nauseum. Ad infinitum. Factor in the fucking idiots from the football board rambling in to drop a verbal diarrhea ... 

So if we're going to discuss it, it should be about  (and I quote) "Orlando, Herman, Carrington, Doane, Lewis,  the DL analyst whose name escapes me"  because "ZOMG Giles" else has been flogged to death and is myopic, ignorant and pointless.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Maybe you need to take a breather from recruiting for a minute.  Just sayin.  It's going to be OK I promise.

Here's some advice: the next time someone says something about Giles, just don't say anything. The discussion will die out more quickly. Instead, you fanned the flames, which is exactly what you trying not to do.

Edited by Machinator

3 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Nice attempt at a riposte that in no way defends your position. Because you can’t. Its like somone that eats shit and then tries to get up and look nonchalant while they look around to see if anyone witnessed their faceplant. 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Here's some advice: the next time someone says something about Giles, just don't say anything. The discussion will die out more quickly. Instead, you fanned the flames, which is exactly what you weren't looking for.

Sure thing.  Carry on.  

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Here's some advice: the next time someone says something about Giles, just don't say anything. The discussion will die out more quickly. Instead, you fanned the flames, which is exactly what you trying not to do.

Perhaps, but if CTJ isn't here to knock some sense into him it is quite possible that SC could continue forever on this quixotic adventure. I mean we could come back tomorrow and be on page 1000 with SC posts of Giles sucks back to back ad infinitum.

Edited by Bevo

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Nice attempt at a riposte that in no way defends your position. Because you can’t. Its like somone that eats shit and then tries to get up and look nonchalant while they look around to see if anyone witnessed their faceplant. 

Maybe you need to replace your tampon.  You're menstruating all over the board.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol at this post when the same is true of Drayton and you’d push every member of your family in front of a bus to take a shot at Drayton. 

there's a clear difference though. Drayton is supposed to be a rainmaker as a recruiter, it's his only fucking job - and he is not. He's fucking terrible coaching RBs. Our DL have progressed under Giles while our RBs have regressed under Drayton but I'm happy to not bring that worthless piece of shit up anymore. 

Questions for the experts. 
NFL teams run a majority of 4 man fronts. 
UT runs 3 man fronts. 
Can we lie to them and say we are changing? Can we come up with an NFL argument for our style that makes any sense? 
Every single one of these kids dream is to go NFL thus the negative recruitment is going to work until we can get a few guys doing good in the league. 

1.) We have and likely will continue to deploy some four down packages, essentially this year with LB being the weakness of the defense and DL having a bit if depth.

2.) NFL argument is Poona and Charles O. It strengthens if some combo of Roach, Graham, and Coburn play themselves into draft picks over the next few years, which is likely to some extent. It's an easy sell that if you come here and show you're NFL material, you'll get your shot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Godfuckingdamn. It's not that it bothers me it's that it's the EXACT same conversation that has been had since time-out-of-time. If the discussion is solely "Oscar Giles sucks at recruiting" what exactly is there to discuss? 

The Giles discussion is basically the "Greg Davis sucks" discussion. Greg Davis sucks? No shit. The problem is that every fucking time some DL recruit is interviewed we get a fucking 2-3 page rambling "ZOMG Giles sucks stream". It's like every single tunnel screen or 5 yard out on 3rd and 9 but instead of instead of simply 5 minutes during a game thread, it leads to day long circular conversation that we've had. Ad nauseum. Ad infinitum. Factor in the fucking idiots from the football board rambling in to drop a verbal diarrhea ... 

So if we're going to discuss it, it should be about  (and I quote) "Orlando, Herman, Carrington, Doane, Lewis,  the DL analyst whose name escapes me"  because "ZOMG Giles" else has been flogged to death and is myopic, ignorant and pointless.  

So if we continue to lose out on key in state targets on the DL, what to you want us to discuss exactly? Our favorite color? This is a recruiting board and that is all very much on topic. If it seems like deja vu all over again well, it's probably because the same fucking thing keeps happening not because we want to keep bringing it up. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

there's a clear difference though. Drayton is supposed to be a rainmaker as a recruiter, it's his only fucking job - and he is not. He's fucking terrible coaching RBs. Our DL have progressed under Giles while our RBs have regressed under Drayton but I'm happy to not bring that worthless piece of shit up anymore. 

This. Is. Fucking. Gold. 

1 minute ago, Scholz said:

It is March right?  I didn't miss paying my taxes did I?  The '20 class isn't signed yet right?  

The comments were specifically about the trend. One player we all penciled in is all but an Aggie now and another who should have been a layup wont even attend our spring game and will be a fight to sign. 

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

So if we continue to lose out on key in state targets on the DL, want to you want us to discuss exactly? Our favorite color? This is a recruiting board and that is all very much on topic. If it seems like deja vu all over again well, it's probably because the same fucking thing keeps happening not because we want to keep bringing it up. 

How about ::

a. Todd Orlando interacts less with the defensive recruits than any other DC at any other program (*possibly Grinch now)

b. Bryan Carrington has done a great job with skill position players but has not connected with DL recruits, even those that are legacies and/or live a stone's throw away. Despite it being our weakest link. 

c. Tom Herman has continued to employ Giles because of his ability to teach the position and despite his clear and obvious struggles on the recruiting front. Where is the assistance coming from? Where is the fix for this problem

d. Texas has more budget and a large staff of analysts, why is their impact less-than-zero on the DL front? We've had and seen impact at other positions ... 

etc... 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The funny thing is that Washington does a lot of out-of-position recruiting in Atlanta (he owned the Derrian Brown recruitment), but we don't sic him on badly needed local DL. 

Washington has been involved in some DL recruitments. He helped out with Leal once it was obvious Giles got his ass kicked. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

a. Todd Orlando interacts less with the defensive recruits than any other DC at any other program (*possibly Grinch now)

b. Bryan Carrington has done a great job with skill position players but has not connected with DL recruits, even those that are legacies and/or live a stone's throw away. Despite it being our weakest link. 

c. Tom Herman has continued to employ Giles because of his ability to teach the position and despite his clear and obvious struggles on the recruiting front. Where is the assistance coming from? Where is the fix for this problem

d. Texas has more budget and a large staff of analysts, why is their impact less-than-zero on the DL front? We've had and seen impact at other positions ... 

etc... 

Carrington was really involved with Daniel Carson. And Ossai (though he's more of a LB). But he is oddly absent with DL guys as a whole.

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

Yet somehow we are loaded at corner, safety and linebacker. How is it those other positions overcome the lack of involvement from Orlando? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

Questions for the experts. 

NFL teams run a majority of 4 man fronts. 

UT runs 3 man fronts. 

Can we lie to them and say we are changing? Can we come up with an NFL argument for our style that makes any sense? 

Every single one of these kids dream is to go NFL thus the negative recruitment is going to work until we can get a few guys doing good in the league. 

If we consistently field great defenses, I don't care about any of that.

Maybe we can find the linemen we need among the less than elite rated DLs to make our defense as a team work. If our scheme is inglorious for DL but we win, I'll accept that hit to our overall recruiting rank.

Besides, if we become dominant, we'll attract higher rated players anyway. A field flooded with back seven/eight talent can make the job of a DL easier and more attractive no matter the scheme.

You'd have to show me where our defense is failing to perform due to recruiting for the quoted worry to have substance, IMHO.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

You must have loved those post 2009 Mack Brown recruiting classes if you still want to bring out this line of reasoning.

You're seriously comparing our last 2 classes with the lazy late Mack Brown signings?  Mkay.

• Like 1

Just now, Newy25 said:

Yet somehow we are loaded at corner, safety and linebacker. How is it those other positions overcome the lack of involvement from Orlando? 

Because their position coaches are better recruiters? it is known. Is this your first experience with this phenomenon? 

Our DL depth is better than LB, so ... 

5 minutes ago, Scholz said:

You're seriously comparing our last 2 classes with the lazy late Mack Brown signings?  Mkay.

No, hes pointing out that you’re using the same stupid logic to defend the current topic being discussed, specifically; as long as we are signing top 3 type classes then there must not be any problem at all with recruiting. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scholz said:

No, I am saying that simply having a top 5 class means jack shit if you fail to address holes in the roster which we have with our shitty D Line recruiting. Getting projects and 3* and coaching them up may win the big 12 but it won’t stand up to the Bama/Clemson buzzsaw in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

(Charles Power) The Opening Houston: Top Performers

Hide contents

KATY, Texas– The Opening was back in Texas for the second time in three weeks, this time for its Houston Regional. Several of the Lone Star state's top prospects from the 2020, 2021 and 2022 cycles made their way to Legacy Stadium to take part in what was an event deep with talent, particularly in the skill groups. 247Sports was on hand to catch several impressive individual performances.

Alpha Dog

247Sports Composite five-star Demond Demas was the clear dominant force at the event. The Tomball (Texas) wide receiver showcased an elite combination of athleticism and playmaking ability over the course of the day. The Texas A&M pledge was among the top performers during the athletic testing portion, running a low 4.4 40-yard dash and a 4.2 shuttle before edging out Collin Sullivan in the head to head race for fastest man honors.

At over 6-foot-3, 200 pounds, Demas paired that twitch and explosion with top notch ball skills on the field, both in position drills and one-on-ones. Were it not for one concentration drop, he would've had a near perfect day in one-on-one's. Demas scored deep touchdowns on nearly all of his reps, using his top-end long speed to gain separation downfield. Even with the shorter field, he would often outrun the throw, but was able to adjust to late balls and win in contested situations by out leaping and high-pointing over defensive backs with consistency. He also showed some competitiveness. Following a rep that resulted in a breakup due to a late throw, Demas called to run it back and proceeded to score on  a deep touchdown. In short, Demas checked all the boxes as an elite receiver prospect on Sunday.

Next Five on Offense

1. WR Ja'Lynn Polk, Lufkin (Texas)- No wide receiver took–and won–more reps than Polk. Checking in at 6-foot-2, 185 pounds, Polk had a breakout showing, flashing very good quickness off the ball and perhaps the event's best ball skills. Facing the camp's top defensive backs, the East Texas product showed a large catch radius and sticky hands, scoring deep touchdowns on the majority of his reps. His competitiveness and willingness to take on all comers also impressed. Polk also did well in the athletic testing portion, posting a 4.65 40-yard dash and excellent short shuttle (4.13 seconds) and vertical (35.4 inches) marks. Polk holds offers from Arkansas, Baylor and Houston among others with the Razorbacks holding all four picks in his Crystal Ball.  

2. RB John Gentry, Galena Park (Texas) North Shore- Gentry may play second fiddle to teammate and five-star running back Zachary Evans during the fall, but that wasn't the case on Sunday. The 5-foot-10, 186-pounder was the most impressive running back in open field drills, showing high level cutting and deceleration ability, freezing linebackers with juices and start-stop sequences. Gentry is a name to watch as an offseason riser among Texas running backs and backed up his on-field showing with a 4.56 second 40-yard dash, 4.13 second short shuttle and 38.5 inch vertical in athletic testing. Gentry currently holds offers from Arkansas, North Texas, UNLV and Utah State and should be in line for more Power 5 offers in due time. 

3. QB Jalen Milroe, Katy (Texas) Tompkins- In a relatively deep group at quarterback, it was the 2021 prospect who caught our eye the most. The ball popped out of Milroe's hand for the majority of the day. At 6-foot-2, 184 pounds, he has an athletic build and showcased the ability to drive the ball downfield with ease, consistently throwing a tight spiral with good location. The rising junior more than looked the part as a passer, which is even more impressive when you consider he's equally as skilled as a run threat. To that point, Milroe posted some outstanding testing numbers running a 4.64 second 40-yard dash, 4.38 second short shuttle and jumping 34.8 inches. Florida State, Nebraska and Houston are among the early offers for Milroe. 

4. OL Kam Dewberry, Humble (Texas) Atascocita- The 2022 prospect had an outstanding day, winning multiple one-on-one reps against four-star 2020 defensive lineman Vernon Broughton. The 6-foot-4, 285-pounder turned in the strongest showing at offensive tackle, making the final five and winning the majority of his reps. Dewberry showed advanced foot quickness, flexibility and strength for such a young prospect. Dewberry has an offer from Baylor, the first of many. 

5. WR Ja'khi Douglas, Houma (La.) Terrebonne- The Top247 prospect gets the edge over several other strong wide receiver showings as he was able to win at multiple levels of the field during the one-on-one portion. Other than a pronounced stutter step that won’t translate to the next level, Douglas showed high-level routes and was able to separate downfield and finish with the ability to track the ball over his shoulder. Douglas also turned in a strong day from a testing standpoint, checking in at 5-foot-9, 187 pounds, running a 4.57 second 40-yard dash, 4.31 second short shuttle and jumping 37 inches.

Top Five on Defense

1. DL Princely Umanmielen, Manor (Texas)- While there wasn’t a truly dominant performance on the defensive side of the ball, it was Umanmielen who caught our eye the most consistently. The 6-foot-4, 256-pounder continued a strong camp season on Sunday and was the top defensive lineman at an event for the second time this spring. Umanmielen impressed with his length and get-off and won reps at both defensive end and tackle over the course of the day. The Austin area prospect is still developing from a technique standpoint but is starting to put it together and drips upside. Still 16 years old, Umanmielen ran a 5.10 second 40-yard dash, 4.41 second short shuttle and jumped 34.7 inches- all strong numbers. Oklahoma and Texas account for the three picks in Umanmielen's Crystal Ball. 

2. S Xavion Alford, (Texas) Shadow Creek- Alford gets the slight nod here as he had the cleanest day of the defensive backs, winning all of the reps we caught. Playing cornerback, Alford was smooth in his backpedal and transitions. On the line, he showed strong technique and hand placement while working in man-press. Texas currently accounts for two of the three picks (other is murky) in Alford's Crystal Ball. 

3. S Jerrin Thompson, Lufkin (Texas)- Like his teammate, Ja'Lynn Polk, no player in his position group too more reps than Thompson. The 6-foot-1, 183-pounder didn’t back from facing top wide receivers and acquitted himself well. The strong instincts and toughness Thompson showed during his junior season transferred over to Sunday’s camp setting. In the testing portion, Thompson ran a 4.67 40-yard dash, 4.40 second shuttle and 32.7 inch vertical. LSU is the lone pick in Thompson's Crystal Ball. 

4. CB Jaylon Jones, Cibolo (Texas) Steele- First off, Jones stuck out among the defensive backs group from a build perspective. At 6-foot-2, 190 pounds,the Texas A&M offers an outstanding combination of size, length and athleticism. We didn’t get to see Jones take a ton of reps against top wide receivers due to the different groupings, but he still had a strong day. Jones was at his best playing press coverage and showed good hand strength, at one point driving a wide receiver to the sideline off of the snap. Jones was among the more athletic defensive backs on hand, running a 4.58 second 40-yard dash, 4.32 second short shuttle and jumping 39.8 inches.

5. LB Derrick Lewis, Shertz (Texas) Clemens- The linebacker group was the weakest position on defense, but Lewis stood out within the group. The 6-foot-1, 215-pounder was fast, aggressive and decisive in space, moving well using his long arms to wrap up running backs. Holding just one offer from North Texas, don’t be surprised to see Lewis as a name who heats up during the evaluation period.

Around the Camp

***After Milroe, our second quarterback would be fellow 2021 passer Dematrius Davis. The Galena Park (Texas) North Shore standout and reigning MaxPreps sophomore of the year was very consistent on the day, throwing a clean ball and linking up with teammate Shadrach Banks on several occasions. From the 2020 group, Norco (Calif.) four-star Shane Illingworth and Weatherford (Texas) passer Ken Seals stood out in terms of delivery, zip and downfield arm strength.

*** Five-star running back Zach Evans entered the day as the top prospect on hand and certainly didn’t disappoint in the limited time on field. Evans has always been among the 2020 cycle’s top overall athletes and that remains the case. At 5-foot-11, 200 pounds, he possesses an elite build and once again posted some outlandishly good testing numbers- a 4.51 second 40-yard dash, 3.84 second short shuttle (an absurd time) and a 37.2 inch vertical. Top247 running back Seth McGowan was also on hand and had a strong day while fighting through some knicks. After Evans, Katy (Texas) Taylor 2021 back Brandon Campbell posted the next best numbers at the position, running a 4.58 40, 4.07 shuttle and 36.4 vertical at 5-foot-10, 190 pounds.

***In typical Texas fashion, the wide receiver group was the deepest position on hand. After posting one of the top SPARQ ratings in the nation at The Opening’s combine on Saturday, Richmond (Texas) Fort Bend Travis wideout Parker Washington excelled with short routes and won most if not all of his reps. A hyper-productive player, the only thing keeping Washington out of the top performers was his preference to work underneath rarely going downfield. Cibolo (Texas) Steele receiver Daniel Jackson had a strong showing with natural hands and a few ‘wow’ catches. Troy Omeire was perhaps the biggest wide receiver on hand. While he didn’t get quite the separation of some of the other top receivers, the high-hipped, 6-foot-3.5, 217 pounder was effective in boxing out smaller defensive backs. Round Rock (Texas) wide receiver Collin Sullivan finished second to Demas in the fastest man race and had a few impressive deep touchdown catches. Reggie Brown of Houston (Texas) Legacy School for Sports and Sciences was the standout at tight end, making multiple high-point grabs down the seam while also showing nice route-running.

*** 2021 Bellaire (Texas) Houston four-star Donovan Jackson would be our No. 2 performer on the OL following Dewberry. Jackson may be a guard or tackle at the next level and showed well on the day winning multiple reps with feet and finishing ability. At 6-foot-4, 308 pounds, Jackson posted a 4.85 second short shuttle and 30.1 inch vertical. Channelview (Texas) three-star guard Paula Vaipulu had the best day of the 2020 offensive linemen. Working at center, Vaipulu showed a strong anchor at the point of attack. Katy (Texas) Taylor 2021 teammates Bryce Foster and Hayden Conner also turned in strong days and are already physically developed to be rising juniors.

*** Houston (Texas) Cy Ridge defensive tackle Vernon Broughton is impressive on the hoof and had his moments on Sunday. The 6-foot-5, 286-pounder is new to football and is still developing from a technical standpoint but flashed his upside. Also at defensive tackle, Spring (Texas) Westfield’s Nick Booker-Brown impressed with his first step quickness, winning most of his reps on the inside.

*** Top247 prospects Alfred Collins and Chad Lindberg didn’t take part in one-on-ones as Collins was a late arrival and Lindberg is out with an injury.

The Opening Final Invites and Positional MVP’s

***Zachary Evans, Demond Demas, Troy Omeire, Vernon Broughton and Jaylon Jones earned invites to The Opening Finals, to be held during the summer. The following prospects were named positional MVP’s by the event’s coaches:

QB Kade Renfro, Stephenville (Texas)

RB Deuce Vaughn, (Texas) Cedar Ridge

WR Parker Washington (Texas) Richmond Travis

OL Donovan Jackson, Houston (Texas) Episcopal

DL Nick Booker-Brown, Houston (Texas) Westfield

LB Corey Flagg, Galena Park (Texas) North Shore

DB Perry Wells, Galena Park (Texas)  North Shore

Rating: Zachary Evans, Galena Park (Texas) North Shore

Nick Booker getting some ink should please that random guy on Twitter talking shit to Chad Lindberg. Maybe the kid is as good as he said he was?

26 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

If we consistently field great defenses, I don't care about any of that.

Maybe we can find the linemen we need among the less than elite rated DLs to make our defense as a team work. If our scheme is inglorious for DL but we win, I'll accept that hit to our overall recruiting rank.

Besides, if we become dominant, we'll attract higher rated players anyway. A field flooded with back seven/eight talent can make the job of a DL easier and more attractive no matter the scheme.

You'd have to show me where our defense is failing to perform due to recruiting for the quoted worry to have substance, IMHO.

We just started Breckyn Hager at DE for a whole fucking season and we were lucky all our DL stayed healthy.  We were low on depth and talent last year.

Our starting line next year may end up being Roach, Wilbon, Graham. That’s a fucking meh DL at best.  I know a lot of people like Roach but he wasn’t good as a DL in 2017, and I’m not sure he’ll be all that great this year. His best attribute is his fluidity, which shows at LB/B-backer, but no so much at DL. He’s not all that explosive and he’s gonna have to show he can carry the 290 or so he’s been rumored to be at without losing athleticism like he did in 2017. Graham has always been somewhat of a looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane, and Wilbon is just average. He won’t get moved a ton, but he won’t make many big plays either.

A guy like Leal might start on this team in 2019. We need talent in the DL. We don’t have much of it, and the talent we do have is young and unproven. 

This is why shit like this and Scholz’s top 3 class stuff is so dumb. Recruiting is a leading indicator. You’re not gonna see it play out on the field until it’s too late and then those same folks who said we should shut up will be whining about our DL performance.

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

Washington has been involved in some DL recruitments. He helped out with Leal once it was obvious Giles got his ass kicked. 

Yeah but it was already too late at that point. I was hoping Herman would learn and do this proactively for 2020. It does seem that he’s been proactive in recruiting Broughton himself, but it doesn’t appear he’s assigned guys to help Giles with  the other DL.

34 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Regardless of the Giles/primary recruiter discussions, it would defintely help if Charles O went in the first two rounds of the draft like he is projected to by a fair number of outlets.

I’m not sure how the aggy negative recruiting didn’t lose its power with the year Charles just had. He had like 9.5 sacks and 18 TFL. That shows a DL in this scheme can put up numbers. Not to mention back to back conference defensive linemen of the year. 

Regarldess, him getting drafted high and before any of the aggy DL would definitely seem to help.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You're not going to see that until 2021 or so. Recruiting is a leading indicator of results.

Then aren't we defying that indicator with how we do with recruits from previous regimes that were not highly rated?

We're already fielding formidable defenses with sub-championship talent, are we not?

My argument is not that recruiting rankings don't matter. My argument is that on-field team performance is the best indicator of the success of recruiting strategy.

Traits that are adequate or above adequate for our needs may not lead to high recruit rankings for those players. We would rather have Leal, but we can perhaps do well at that position from a team aspect with lower ranked recruits.

Edit to add: I think this answers Burt above, as well. It seems my point has been facilely morphed into some notion that talent is required. No. See above.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

No, I am saying that simply having a top 5 class means jack shit if you fail to address holes in the roster which we have with our shitty D Line recruiting. Getting projects and 3* and coaching them up may win the big 12 but it won’t stand up to the Bama/Clemson buzzsaw in the playoffs.

So we're going to the playoffs? Awesome. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not sure how the aggy negative recruiting didn’t lose its power with the year Charles just had. He had like 9.5 sacks and 18 TFL. That shows a DL in this scheme can put up numbers. Not to mention back to back conference defensive linemen of the year. 

Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year doesn't mean much if it doesn't pay off at the next level and if recruits think the Big 12 sucks at defense. Poona won the award and went undrafted for his effort. Recruits want to "secure the bag" or whatever, and the best way to do that is to be drafted highly.

Hell, Kris Boyd was named First-Team All Big 12 and a large chunk of our own fanbase thinks he was a JAG at best.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

Less about Giles and more about Grinch, Umainlamen seemed OU bound to me. 

So Collin Sullivan was 6'2" 190 and just a shade behind Demas in all the testing. Demas measured in at 6'2.5" and 182. Jaylon Jones was only 6'1.5" and Omiere was 6'3.5" 217. 

D15SKkIXcAUWixB.jpg:large

Siap

Who is this guy?

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Our defense was not formidable this year.

Was it better than would have been predicted from recruit rankings in previous years? Did we not perform better than expected in view of the points Burt makes above? Shallow in the line and not having enough high ranked recruits led to a pretty solid performance against Georgia if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I've said my piece. It may very well be idiotic. I don't care to beat the topic to death for four pages ending in name-calling rancor. 

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

I'd welcome the diversion if you want to post it.

I posted it in the IT update. https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/100-texas-recruiting-notes-2020/page/232/&tab=comments#comment-1128868

There's also this if someone has it: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Ex-UT-commit-Mookie-Cooper-still-considering-Longhorns-recruiting--130228980/

Edited by Machinator

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

There is no way around it. Texas lost an important piece to the recruiting puzzle a couple of weeks ago. Four-star Saint Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) athlete Mookie Cooper simply said he needed more time to think things over and backed out of his verbal pledge to the Longhorns just three weeks after pulling the trigger. “I just wasn’t all that sure that was the place I wanted to be,” Cooper said. “I want to visit other schools and take all my officials. I want to weigh all of my options before I make a final decision. I’m going to wait until closer to the signing period to make a final decision.”

Cooper sided with Texas while on campus for junior day last month. He built a strong relationship with the staff and was considered a Texas lean for the majority of the process, which made his decision to back away extremely surprising. Still, Cooper was adamant that he just wanted to explore other options and is still considering the Longhorns. “Texas is most definitely still in it,” Cooper said. “Some people think I knocked them all the way out. But they are still one of my top schools. I didn’t lose love for Texas. That’s where I thought I wanted to be. Just because I decommitted doesn’t mean they lost their spot in my process.”

Cooper added that he had a productive conversation with the Texas staff shortly after his decommitment. “They told me that I’m still No. 1 on the board,” Cooper said. “But they also told me this is a business. They said to let them know that I’m still interested because they are going to have to replace me. I told that that I still am.” Cooper plans to take closer looks at Illinois, Ohio State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, LSU, Tennessee and Louisville At 5-foot-11, 178 pounds, Cooper is ranked as the No. 12 wide receiver and No. 66 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

Edited by satyanash

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Then aren't we defying that indicator with how we do with recruits from previous regimes that were not highly rated?

We're already fielding formidable defenses with sub-championship talent, are we not?

My argument is not that recruiting rankings don't matter. My argument is that on-field team performance is the best indicator of the success of recruiting strategy.

Traits that are adequate or above adequate for our needs may not lead to high recruit rankings for those players. We would rather have Leal, but we can perhaps do well at that position from a team aspect with lower ranked recruits.

Edit to add: I think this answers Burt above, as well. It seems my point has been facilely morphed into some notion that talent is required. No. See above.

Dude. This doesn’t answer my argument at all. This is a stupid, losing argument you’re advancing.

Our defense wasn’t that good this year due to lack of depth and talent. Our defense got killed in like half it’s game this year. Do you not think we could’ve used better DL as Ok St was getting 8 yards very time they ran outside zone at Hager?

Recruiting rankings matter, and on-field team performance suffered because we didn’t have enough talent, including at DL.  And our peformance this year had nothing to do with recruiting strategy because the guys that played at DL weren’t recruited by this staff.

this whole idea of traits the staff wants and doing well at the position is nonsense. This staff wanted Leal more than almost any recruit. They lost him. They want Broughton, Collins, Princely, and Dorbah. It’s a clear top 4. Missing these guys would not be good. It’s that simple.

it doesn’t matter if they do an admirable job coaching up lesser players. It would still be better for our team’s performance to get the better players. Your trust the coaches argument is completely inapposite with this staff missing its top targets, which you also say is fine. If you trust the coaches evaluation and talent development, then you should want them to get their top targets and realize it’s not a good sign if they miss.

We’re talking about championship-level teams in the next few years. Deficinces in talent like this are the difference between winning 10 games but losing your conference vs. winning the conference and possibly the playoff.

This shit matters and your arguments as to why it doesn’t are either flat out wrong (defense performed well this year) or logically incoherent (trust the coaches but don’t care when they miss the guys they want most).

• Like 6