Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

44 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

If we consistently field great defenses, I don't care about any of that.

Maybe we can find the linemen we need among the less than elite rated DLs to make our defense as a team work. If our scheme is inglorious for DL but we win, I'll accept that hit to our overall recruiting rank.

Besides, if we become dominant, we'll attract higher rated players anyway. A field flooded with back seven/eight talent can make the job of a DL easier and more attractive no matter the scheme.

You'd have to show me where our defense is failing to perform due to recruiting for the quoted worry to have substance, IMHO.

Our DL peaked against Georgia but against Okie Lite and Maryland they were torn apart. Overall it was an inconsistent unit, and more elite talent on it could absolutely have made a big difference. And we're talking about a unit with three experienced + mostly healthy senior starters. 

Next year will be a bellwether in more ways than one.

46 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No, hes pointing out that you’re using the same stupid logic to defend the current topic being discussed, specifically; as long as we are signing top 3 type classes then there must not be any problem at all with recruiting. 

Wasn't talking to you, irrational woman.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

No, I am saying that simply having a top 5 class means jack shit if you fail to address holes in the roster which we have with our shitty D Line recruiting. Getting projects and 3* and coaching them up may win the big 12 but it won’t stand up to the Bama/Clemson buzzsaw in the playoffs.

And I would submit that not all top 5 classes are the same.  Mack would highly ranked, overrated, maxed out players early.  We aren't doing that.  So to me that's a false equivalency.

And I would also submit Giles has shown a proven history of developing DEs.  So all of this caterwauling and hand wringing is unwarranted.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Our DL peaked against Georgia but against Okie Lite and Maryland they were torn apart. Overall it was an inconsistent unit, and more elite talent on it could absolutely have made a big difference. And we're talking about a unit with three experienced + mostly healthy senior starters. 

Keondre Coburn and Joseph Ossai with significant minutes in the UGA game was a big part of why the DL looked different than say the Okie Lite or Maryland game. Their talent, raw ability, strength, size and speed vs. their senior counterparts was clear and indicates a much more disruptive and talented DL in the future.  This particular type of thing is why certain rankings (S&P for instance) way overvalue returning starters, etc ...  Joseph Ossai is a clear upgrade over Breckyn Hager, for instance.

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year doesn't mean much if it doesn't pay off at the next level and if recruits think the Big 12 sucks at defense. Poona won the award and went undrafted for his effort. Recruits want to "secure the bag" or whatever, and the best way to do that is to be drafted highly.

Hell, Kris Boyd was named First-Team All Big 12 and a large chunk of our own fanbase thinks he was a JAG at best.

Poona will pay off when he signs his next contract. That was the NFLs fault not ours or his. He had great tape at Texas and was great in Seattle this past year. 

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

Poona will pay off when he signs his next contract. That was the NFLs fault not ours or his. He had great tape at Texas and was great in Seattle this past year. 

Recruits want to see a route to getting drafted. Not "well you might fall out of the Draft because no one rates Big XII lineman, but it's cool because you get a good second salary".

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

It's nobody's "fault" (except the idiot GMs, I guess) but what message does it send to recruits when the best DL in the Big 12 can't get drafted?

Thank God for Charles.

54 minutes ago, Scholz said:

And I would submit that not all top 5 classes are the same.  Mack would highly ranked, overrated, maxed out players early.  We aren't doing that.  So to me that's a false equivalency.

And I would also submit Giles has shown a proven history of developing DEs.  So all of this caterwauling and hand wringing is unwarranted.

Kind a like how a top 3 class can be really good at certain spots and worse at others, I.e., DL vs WR?

“proven history of developing DEs”. Go look at the ratings of his developed DEs at Texas and compare them to 2019. Regardless of whether he’s good at developing, it doesn’t change the fact that Giles developing 4/5 stars > Giles developing 3 stars. If Giles development is a constant, then higher rated guys will lead to better returns, which is why this argument is so stupid. 

47 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Keondre Coburn and Joseph Ossai with significant minutes in the UGA game was a big part of why the DL looked different than say the Okie Lite or Maryland game. Their talent, raw ability, strength, size and speed vs. their senior counterparts was clear and indicates a much more disruptive and talented DL in the future.  This particular type of thing is why certain rankings (S&P for instance) way overvalue returning starters, etc ...  Joseph Ossai is a clear upgrade over Breckyn Hager, for instance.

Yep. Ossai is a stud and brought a noticeable change in speed, aggression, physicality, and overall talent. And If not for Sumlin getting canned, he’d be showing those traits wearing maroon.

a little off topic, but re S&P, I’m not sure if there’s ever been a larger outlier in talent replacing production (and change in coaching talent) than this year’s team. If you look at the rankings of 2015, 2016, 2017 classes and account for the way-higher-than-average attrition, and then look at ratings for the 2018 and 2019 classes, it’s a drastic difference . Not to mention the S&P preseasons rankings take into account the last 5 years’ performance. The disparity  between Herman as a coach and Charlie may be almost as wide as the talent disparity. 

Would you submit these things?

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

So then why not move Giles to DE/OLB coach and hire a proven rainmaker as a DT coach? Your second statement doesn't follow from your first one.

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Recruits want to see a route to getting drafted. Not "well you might fall out of the Draft because no one rates Big XII lineman, but it's cool because you get a good second salary".

I know what you're saying but If Poona becomes a really good player, most people won't even remember he went undrafted. Priest Holmes didn't get drafted either, that didn't stop us from bragging about having 2 star RBs in the league with him and Ricky once he broke out. 

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

So then why not move Giles to DE/OLB coach and hire a proven rainmaker as a DT coach? Your second statement doesn't follow from your first one.

Sure it does.  If he develops players, then why all the crying?  Yes, I'm aware 5-star recruits would be preferable.

Just now, Scholz said:

Sure it does.  If he develops players, then why all the crying?  Yes, I'm aware 5-star recruits would be preferable.

Because the ceiling for mid-level prospects is lower than that of high-level prospects, and that matters when we play the Clemson's of this world.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

The defense was the most healthy it was all season against Georgia and it was also the deepest because the coaches weren't concerned with RS's to the freshmen anymore.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Because the ceiling for mid-level prospects is lower than that of high-level prospects, and that matters when we play the Clemson's of this world.

I get that.  But are we already so sure we're going to miss on: Princely, Broughton, Collins, et al?  Sounds like battered aggy syndrome in here.  

Just now, Scholz said:

I get that.  But are we already so sure we're going to miss on: Princely, Broughton, Collins, et al?  Sounds like battered aggy syndrome in here.  

The staff gets the benefit of the doubt from me in many aspects of how they run this program.

High-level DL recruiting is not one of them. If we go 3/3 on that trio, I will gladly recant. Realistically I think we get 2/3 and it wouldn't surprise me if we went 1/3.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The staff gets the benefit of the doubt from me in many aspects of how they run this program.

High-level DL recruiting is not one of them. If we go 3/3 on that trio, I will gladly recant. Realistically I think we get 2/3 and it wouldn't surprise me if we went 1/3.

We just held Georgia to 72 yards rushing in the Sugar Bowl.  I had seen Georgia's O line mentioned as the best in college football.  And yes, I realize we out-schemed them in the box but I wouldn't call our D line situation dire.

1 minute ago, Scholz said:

We just held Georgia to 72 yards rushing in the Sugar Bowl.  I had seen Georgia's O line mentioned as the best in college football.  And yes, I realize we out-schemed them in the box but I wouldn't call our D line situation dire.

It's not dire but it's not championship level.

This isn't basketball where we're apparently willing to settle for mediocrity if the circumstances aren't in our favor. The resources, prestige, and expectations for Texas football are top tier, and we need to recruit like it at all levels.

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't think Princely deserves to be in the same category as Collins and Broughton. He's not as good and he was never as much of a Texas lean as the other two were/are. Missing on Princely wouldn't be the end of the world, but the other two? This board would go to shit (well, even more shit than usual) and deservedly so.

• Like 4

Some of y’all are really stuck in the past and not looking forward.

Charles will be drafted high

The NFL is moving to a Big 12 style of play. It’s the future and slow fat lineman and lbs from the SEC and Big 10 will have less roster spots.

They are not 5 stars but this dline has 4 stars on it moving forward.

Coburn, Warren, Ossai(recruited as a WDE), Jones and Ojomo are all 4 star guys. You can win a championship with these guys fully developed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I don't think Princely deserves to be in the same category as Collins and Broughton. He's not as good and he was never as much of a Texas lean as the other two were/are. Missing on Princely wouldn't be the end of the world, but the other two? This board would go to shit (well, even more shit than usual) and deservedly so.

Agree that Broughton and Collins are the best ones.

22 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I agree with this. Princely would be a really nice pickup, Collins and Broughton are damn near must-gets.

But to my eyes, the staff is prioritizing Princely in the same way they are Collins and Broughton. So to lose out on him when he's visited Texas as many times as he has and lives in our backyard would be mind-bottling.

4 hours ago, Shaddie said:

Questions for the experts. 

NFL teams run a majority of 4 man fronts. 

UT runs 3 man fronts. 

Can we lie to them and say we are changing? Can we come up with an NFL argument for our style that makes any sense? 

Every single one of these kids dream is to go NFL thus the negative recruitment is going to work until we can get a few guys doing good in the league. 

Pretty sure we have a couple of former Horns pedaling cupcakes! 

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

This is a nice moving of the goalpost. You bitched about people complaining about Giles.

We’re complaining about things appearing to go south with Princely, Collins likely attending aggy’s spring game over ours (not a good sign at all. This is a big indicator of where a recruit lands, when competing schools have spring games on the same date). 

The reason we complain about these things is because it is now a three year trend under Herman/Giles. Like I said before, we’re complaining about the process, more so than the results, although those still leave something to be desired. 

50 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Lulz. So one game erases all the bad performances? We gave up 6.9 YPP or more 5 times and went 2-3. The goal of the program is to be in playoff contention on a regular basis. Playoff contention is about consistency and avoiding and losses, not one good performance. Our talent level on D and especially the front 7 has to get markedly better if we want a chance at the playoffs.

Pointing out one game where we did well is ridiculous when discussing how our defense performed as a whole. 

39 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

They are not 5 stars but this dline has 4 stars on it moving forward.

Coburn, Warren, Ossai(recruited as a WDE), Jones and Ojomo are all 4 star guys. You can win a championship with these guys fully developed.

Ojomo wasn’t a 4 star. Jones just squeaked in but we’ll count him. We’ll count Ossai because guys like he and Dorbah play EDGE. You win a championship by having a depth chart full of 4 stars, not just having 4 of them on your team. Recruiting 2 4-stars per year isn’t good enough.

2018 Clemson had 13 4/5 star DL, with 4 being 5 stars. Bama has a ton too and they take 4-5 blue chip DL every year. 

I honestly can’t believe it even has to be argued that our DL recruiting hasn’t been up to the level of our program expectations, but here we are.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

Godfuckingdamn. It's not that it bothers me it's that it's the EXACT same conversation that has been had since time-out-of-time. If the discussion is solely "Oscar Giles sucks at recruiting" what exactly is there to discuss? 

The Giles discussion is basically the "Greg Davis sucks" discussion. Greg Davis sucks? No shit. The problem is that every fucking time some DL recruit is interviewed we get a fucking 2-3 page rambling "ZOMG Giles sucks stream". It's like every single tunnel screen or 5 yard out on 3rd and 9 but instead of instead of simply 5 minutes during a game thread, it leads to day long circular conversation that we've had. Ad nauseum. Ad infinitum. Factor in the fucking idiots from the football board rambling in to drop a verbal diarrhea ... 

So if we're going to discuss it, it should be about  (and I quote) "Orlando, Herman, Carrington, Doane, Lewis,  the DL analyst whose name escapes me"  because "ZOMG Giles" else has been flogged to death and is myopic, ignorant and pointless.  

Put your fingers in your ears and go "LA LA LA LA LA!"

Perroni on Collins ::

I just posted this on another thread but didn't want him to get lost.

There were reports from a Texas site that he could be officially visiting A&M for the spring game. He just told me that A&M wants him to officially visit for the Alabama game, so he is going to do so then.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You bitched about people complaining about Giles.

Lulz. So one game erases all the bad performances?

I said relax.  But feel free to remain miserable and whiny.  That's another way to go I guess.

The reason I mentioned the very last game we played against arguably the best O line in college football with more of the new guys where we played well is totally irrelevant.  I'm sold.

• Like 2

Is all the angst about Giles recruiting coming from the fact that aggy got Leal?  I checked numbers on the 2017 class and we landed Graham and Bimage but missed on Chaisson .  We settled on Cummins and Chisholm too, but it was a transition class.   In 2018 we offered 9 DT's.  We were never in it for Taron Vincent who went to Ohio State or Bobby Brown to aggy.  And I doubt we were high on fatass Chasen Hines (LSU)..  We got Coburn and Ojomo instead.  At DE we missed on Tatum to OU and "Knees" Wright to aggy.  We got Daniel Carson, missed on Perkins, but landed Joe Ossai.  

In 2019 we missed on Leal and got Sweat, Warren and Jones.  We were never going to get Sopsher or Fat Tui and we did not want to settle for Rodas Johnson and Tauren Carter.  Other than Leal. who should Giles have realistically signed?  

Edited by lemonandaturd
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

Not defending Giles, but other than Leal who are the slam dunk DL we've missed on recently?

Just Leal. We were also pushing for NaNa last May and didn't get him, though maybe that ends up being a good thing.

Who knows, maybe with a Jason Washington-type recruiter at DL we would have landed Perkins in 2018, but it's hard to tell with these OOS recruitments.

Like Burt Macklin says, it's about the process, not the outcome.

If we land at least 3 out of 4 of Broughton, Collins, Dorbah, and Princely this cycle, maybe I'll grudgingly accept that our "process" with recruiting high-level DL works.

Edited by Machinator

4 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

2018:  ...At DT...Coburn and Ojomo instead.  At DE...landed Joe Ossai.  

All 3 of whom aggy wanted dearly.  But this must be unpossible as we never land any good D linemen.

I think your theory of missing on Leal has legs.

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Is all the angst about Giles recruiting coming from the fact that aggy got Leal?  I checked numbers on the 2017 class and we landed Graham and Bimage but missed on Chaisson .  We settled on Cummins too, but it was a transition class.   in 2018 we offered 9 DT's.  We were never in it for Taron Vincent who went to Ohio State or Bobby Brown to aggy.  And I doubt we were high on fatass Chasen Hines (LSU)..  We got Coburn and Ojomo instead.  At DE we missed on Tatum to OU and "Knees" Wright to aggy.  We got Daniel Carson, missed on Perkins, but landed Joe Ossai.  

In 2019 we missed on Leal and got Sweat, Warren and Jones.  We were never going to get Sopsher, Fat Tui, and we did want to settle for Rodas Johnson and Tauren Carter.  Other than Leal. who should Giles have realistically signed?  

1 minute ago, Sabalo said:

Not defending Giles, but other than Leal who are the slam dunk DL we've missed on recently?

I’m not going to go into it all over again (which I realize is rich coming from me today), but myself and others have some thorough posts on the 2019 thread detailing all the misses on DL recruiting the last two years. Suffice it to say, the list above leaves out a good number of names the staff went after, not to mention we had lost on Ossai until Sumlin gift wrapped him to us on his way out. 

I will quit beating the dead Giles recruiting horse now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not going to go into it all over again (which I realize is rich coming from me today), but myself and others have some thorough posts on the 2019 thread detailing all the misses on DL recruiting the last two years. Suffice it to say, the list above leaves out a good number of names the staff went after, not to mention we had lost on Ossai until Sumlin gift wrapped him to us on his way out. 

I will quit beating the dead Giles recruiting horse now.

It was the last post under your old handle.

• Like 2

Quit listing Coburn as one of Giles' gets. Coburn's former coach at Westfield HS was Corby Meekins, and his current coach at the time he committed was Meekins' twin brother. Same story with Ed Oliver back at Houston.

Ossai is really the only 4* Giles himself landed in 2018, taking advantage of Sumlin's firing.

• Like 1

I have a comment on DL recruiting but instead I'll Suchomel's recruiting notes from The Opening 

Spoiler

I'll have much more on these guys in the coming days, but a few notes of interest ...

Five-star RB Zachary Evans said he's been focusing on track the past few weeks and it paid off with some impressive numbers on Sunday, including a 3.84 shuttle and a 4.40 40-yard dash time on one of his runs. Interestingly, Evans said he's paying close attention to each team's strength and conditioning coach because he knows he'll spend a lot of time with those people in college. Any one he really connects with? “UT’s coach (Yancy McKnight).” Evans is still pretty wide open but did say there are about six schools he's really focused on. Texas is one of them, along with schools like Tennessee, LSU and Georgia. He did say, as he has previously, that he and North Shore teammate Damieon George are going to play together in college.

Speaking of Damieon George, he said he wants to make a top five this summer and told me Alabama, Georgia and LSU will for sure make the cut. Said there’s not necessarily a lure of playing in the SEC, just coincidence that those three are making the cut. As for Texas, he said they’d be in that No. 4 spot, so the Longhorns will make the cut when he does narrow his list. He talks to the Texas staff every day and would like to make a decision sometime this summer. 

Clear Creek offensive lineman Chad Lindberg said his recent Stanford visit went well. Before that visit, he said he had Stanford as a possible top three and that visit solidified his thinking. Texas would be another school in his top three and several others are fighting for that last spot. As for Texas and Stanford … “I think about it a lot and which one is ahead, and I just can’t tell.” Lindberg will be at UT’s spring game next month.

Vernon Broughton said he may attend UT’s spring game but isn’t sure yet. Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M were the schools he said are standing out, and then mentioned Alabama as well. He'd like to make a decision towards the end of summer. When I mentioned to Broughton that Texas fans are confident, he got a big smile on his face but didn't really want to tip his hand. 

Wide receiver Troy Omeire talked about Notre Dame, Texas, Texas A&M as schools he’ll visit this spring. May also visit LSU, Arkansas and Alabama. Said he doesn’t have anyone in mind where he’s leaning. The UT visit last weekend was really good, spent some time with the current players and talked to the coaches about how they use bigger receivers. Feels like when he gets to the next level and gets bigger and faster, he can do what guys like Collin Johnson and Lil’Jordan Humphrey have done, but do it even better. He wants to take his official visits in the spring but doesn’t have any set up yet. Texas will “for sure” get one.

DB Xavion Alford took a recent visit to Oregon and said it went well. He's not sure yet on spring game visits. Texas stands high on his list and he said he’ll probably visit again soon. He talks to UT coach Craig Naivar pretty much every day and had good things to say about their relationship. Alford wants to make a decision close to one of the signing days and probably won’t take official visits until the fall.

I'll have more from these guys and a few others in the coming days.

In the comments someone said we're getting all those guys and he said "Solid chance, imo"

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Quit listing Coburn as one of Giles' gets. Coburn's former coach at Westfield HS was Corby Meekins, and his current coach at the time he committed was Meekins' twin brother. Same story with Ed Oliver back at Houston.

Ossai is really the only 4* Giles himself landed in 2018, taking advantage of Sumlin's firing.

And even Ossai gave BC a shoutout in his commitment vid lol

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Ossai was all BC I don’t ever remember Giles being heavily mentioned.